SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress Jun 6, 2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 2879281)
I think, before you all pass judgement on this one, you should ask for more renderings. Call CCDC. I went to the design review meeting for this project. It is awesome. It contains a public parking garage, a high end hotel, ultra luxury APARTMENTS, a police store front, a cultural space, and room for a 10 to 20k square foot grocery store. The architect is Carrier Johnson. I think if saw other renderings you would appreciate the top more. There are also a series of green roofs as well.

I look forward to the Related Companies doing a 1st class job in San Diego.

One other note, you all have excellent comments about new building,s why don't you go to design review meetings and comment? Rarely does the public show up for these meetings. I think much more public comment would be appreciated.

Somebody who's aware of when and where these reviews are going to take place should post the info here. Speaking for myself, I couldn't go to every design review, but I would like to go to some.

HurricaneHugo Jun 6, 2007 8:38 AM

Wait a minute, La Jolla Commons is only 15-stories tall?

I thought it was taller...

eburress Jun 6, 2007 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 2880740)
Wait a minute, La Jolla Commons is only 15-stories tall?

I thought it was taller...

The first tower (the office tower currently under construction) is 15 stories. The hotel and residential towers are much taller.

Speaking of which, that 15 story office tower has been stuck on floor #8 for a while now.

SD_Phil Jun 6, 2007 5:28 PM

^Yep. It hasn't changed for at least 2-3 weeks, at all as far I can tell. Not only in terms of getting taller but no development whatsoever. What's up with that?

It almost looks like they framed up 8 floors and then started working on the highrise behind it (which has seen progress). Weird.

eburress Jun 6, 2007 7:52 PM

^^ at least someone's working on something, although I believe that thing directly behind the office building is the development's parking garage.

PadreHomer Jun 6, 2007 9:15 PM

FAA restrictions ;)

sandiegodweller Jun 6, 2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 2881778)
FAA restrictions ;)

I know that you are being funny but the land planning for that site was affected by the Miramar flight path

sandiego_urban Jun 7, 2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2879005)
Between us, UTC seems like kind of an odd spot for a trendy hotel like a W (especially considering that part of UTC is closer to Miramar than it is to La Jolla)

Have you been to PF Chang's and Japengo on a weekend night? It's basically the Gaslamp Lite. With Del Mar, La Jolla, UTC and UCSD nearby, I'm sure it will be a destination in itself. There's definitely a market for this type of hotel in the area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2879005)
I'm still trying to figure out if this W is going to be built in La Jolla Commons or if it's going to be part of the redeveloped UTC mall, so that shows you what I know! hahaha

As ShekelPop said, it will be part of La Jolla Commons. The posted article mentions Makar, who is the developer of the project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy
I think, before you all pass judgement on this one, you should ask for more renderings. Call CCDC. I went to the design review meeting for this project. It is awesome. It contains a public parking garage, a high end hotel, ultra luxury APARTMENTS, a police store front, a cultural space, and room for a 10 to 20k square foot grocery store. The architect is Carrier Johnson. I think if you saw other renderings you would appreciate the top more. There are also a series of green roofs as well.

I look forward to the Related Companies doing a 1st class job in San Diego.

Sounds great! I saw a much larger rendering of the project that's been posted here in print and it looks pretty nice. I'll try to scan it and post it here since it shows more detail of the base. This proposal seems to take the phrase "mixed-use" to the extreme. Is there anything that this block won't have? ;) Did CCDC happen to present the other proposal for the same block that wasn't selected?

FYI - Related Companies http://www.related.com/index.asp?mod...=1&companyid=7 also did the Time Warner Center in NYC, which gives this project a pretty good chance of happening. :tup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy
One other note, you all have excellent comments about new buildings why don't you go to the CCDC design review meetings and comment? Rarely does the public show up for these meetings. I think much more public comment would be appreciated.

What time do these meetings usually take place? I'm sure it's during the regular workday, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress
The first tower (the office tower currently under construction) is 15 stories. The hotel and residential towers are much taller.

La Jolla Commons
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...commonsgq2.jpg

keg92101 Jun 9, 2007 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2882140)
Have you been to PF Chang's and Japengo on a weekend night? It's basically the Gaslamp Lite. With Del Mar, La Jolla, UTC and UCSD nearby, I'm sure it will be a destination in itself. There's definitely a market for this type of hotel in the area.

As ShekelPop said, it will be part of La Jolla Commons. The posted article mentions Makar, who is the developer of the project.

La Jolla Commons
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...commonsgq2.jpg

Man, nothing kills this thread faster than UTC talk...

Marina_Guy Jun 9, 2007 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 2887218)
Man, nothing kills this thread faster than UTC talk...

So true. UTC is such a wasteland. But, unfortunately?, it is one of the major employment centers of the region. And I think Westfield is going to upgrade UTC before Horton Plaza.

Any thoughts on the state of Horton Plaza these days? I have many :stunned:

SDCAL Jun 9, 2007 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 2887411)
So true. UTC is such a wasteland. But, unfortunately?, it is one of the major employment centers of the region. And I think Westfield is going to upgrade UTC before Horton Plaza.

Any thoughts on the state of Horton Plaza these days? I have many :stunned:

I like the interior of horton plaza but the exterior really needs to be updated. It is very 80s looking to me. Not sure how or what could be done, but it really is kind of an eyesore from the exterior despite it's vital central location - :(

ShekelPop Jun 9, 2007 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2887656)
I like the interior of horton plaza but the exterior really needs to be updated. It is very 80s looking to me. Not sure how or what could be done, but it really is kind of an eyesore from the exterior despite it's vital central location - :(

I basically agree. I know they have farmers markets on the public plaza facing broadway and I know theyre currently looking for a tenant for the space where Planet Hollywood used to be (or unless something is going on there now that I'm unaware of), but I'd love to see that whole broadway frontage space in front of Horton to be turned into a much nicer public space. Its just completely dead to me. I think that space could definitely benefit from some renovation. I guess what I'm picturing is something like a Union Square (NYC) but with the ability to sit down, or some other type of public Piazza.

Marina_Guy Jun 9, 2007 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 2887659)
I basically agree. I know they have farmers markets on the public plaza facing broadway and I know theyre currently looking for a tenant for the space where Planet Hollywood used to be (or unless something is going on there now that I'm unaware of), but I'd love to see that whole broadway frontage space in front of Horton to be turned into a much nicer public space. Its just completely dead to me. I think that space could definitely benefit from some renovation. I guess what I'm picturing is something like a Union Square (NYC) but with the ability to sit down, or some other type of public Piazza.

The old Planet Hollywood (and if you can remember way back (Robinson's department store) is rumored to be demolished. An office building with retail will take its place. Someone should adopt Horton Plaza park soon. Get some retail to front it and turn it into something like Union Square in SF. As for the rest of the mall, I will wait to hear more comments before I give mine!

Derek Jun 10, 2007 12:32 AM

I like the mall. But its soooooo boring on the outside. Stucco walls with virtually nothing appealing. Put some windows in the shops or something.

MagnumMike Jun 10, 2007 1:03 AM

I am a Phoenix native, I don't live in San Diego, but I was there this past week and I enjoyed the visit. Yeah, I was one of those "Zonies" driving around town.

I was also impressed with everything that was done with your downtown and all of the cranes you have on different sites. Looks like things get done pretty fast in your town, unlike here! Many plans have been drawn for office, residential and mixed use tall structures, some would have been 52 stories tall, but unfortunately, only a few of those buildings become reality.

I took a few pictures of the progress that's currently going on in your downtown when I was on the deck of the USS Midway.

http://www.members.cox.net/mss292/DownTownSanDiego1.jpg
http://www.members.cox.net/mss292/DownTownSanDiego2.jpg

keg92101 Jun 10, 2007 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 2887673)
The old Planet Hollywood (and if you can remember way back (Robinson's department store) is rumored to be demolished. An office building with retail will take its place. Someone should adopt Horton Plaza park soon. Get some retail to front it and turn it into something like Union Square in SF. As for the rest of the mall, I will wait to hear more comments before I give mine!

Horton Plaza is a dump! I hate that place. I'm tired of John Jerde's "experience of getting lost and trying to figure out how to get out"!!! The entire site, (less the Balboa Theatre) needs to be razed and the grid system brought back to connect the Marina District with the Gaslamp quarter. I think that it has served it's purpose being the ultimate catylist that started the entire re-development in downtown, and Westfield should begin demolishing it in phases in order to get a higher and better use from the site (which I heard they want to do a High-rise at the old Planet Hollywood lot).

SDPhil Jun 10, 2007 5:48 PM

Since I live in the Marina District, I have a different perspective on Horton Plaza. Most of us have no problem being separated from the Gaslamp. We know where it is, but we don't necessarily want to live in it.I do agree the park out front is a pit, it's basically a homeless hangout. Revamping the front is not a bad idea, just not sure what you could put in there. One thing that would help the back is the proposed Mandarin Hotel. With some decent venues street level, that would have the effect of extending the Gaslamp westward.

SDCAL Jun 11, 2007 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDPhil (Post 2888740)
Since I live in the Marina District, I have a different perspective on Horton Plaza. Most of us have no problem being separated from the Gaslamp. We know where it is, but we don't necessarily want to live in it.I do agree the park out front is a pit, it's basically a homeless hangout. Revamping the front is not a bad idea, just not sure what you could put in there. One thing that would help the back is the proposed Mandarin Hotel. With some decent venues street level, that would have the effect of extending the Gaslamp westward.

proposed Mandarin Hotel
??

haven't heard of this, a Mandarin-Oriental Hotel??? What are the details of this proposal :)

eburress Jun 11, 2007 3:17 AM

^^ Wasn't that going to be the Hotel Intercontinental? I never heard about a Mandarin Oriental there.

Derek Jun 11, 2007 5:31 AM

Yes, it is an Intercontinental Hotel and it is (or was) supposed to go on the site of the large parking garage I believe. Though a Mandarin Oriental would be nice. ;)