SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 1000M (1000 S Michigan) | 805 FT | 73 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218947)

bgsrand Jan 25, 2020 11:31 PM

11 foot thick mat, isnt that very thick for a building of this height?

Fvn Jan 26, 2020 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgsrand (Post 8811595)
11 foot thick mat, isnt that very thick for a building of this height?

If I correctly recall, that's a foot more than Vista, Trump, and even 150 Riverside... It must be due to the slight cantilever on the southern face of the tower.

killaviews Jan 26, 2020 5:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8811446)
:cheers:

I wonder if they'll put a mockup of the facade anytime soon?

A few weeks ago there was an Instagram story with photos of the facade. Those are temporary, so it’s gone now. Maybe someone captured a photo of it.

SolarWind Feb 2, 2020 11:44 PM

January 29, 2020

cozy Feb 3, 2020 10:33 AM

awesome pics, i love this site making it seem like we all have privileged access

Bombardier Feb 3, 2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 8818924)
January 29, 2020

Nice pictures! Anyone know what the yellow wires are for? When I saw them in previous photos I thought they were for an O cell test, but now it looks like they are included on many of the cages. Perhaps they are for testing continuity?

Fvn Feb 3, 2020 7:21 PM

I believe the yellow wiring is for sensors that monitor the concrete curing process?

SamInTheLoop Feb 5, 2020 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8811443)
https://1000southmichigan.com/blog/1...uction-update/

1000M CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
14 JANUARY 2020

CAISSONS NEARING COMPLETION
In December, the team was beginning the process of placing caissons across the construction site. Now, 34 of those 55 caissons are finished.

The caissons for the site fall into two categories: bell caissons and rock-socketed caissons. The geometry of all caissons is that they’re essentially large cylinders that sit on bedrock and support the foundation of the building. On one hand, bell caissons are markedly wider towards their bottom, and sit perched on the bedrock itself, meaning that there’s no requirement to core into the rock to stabilize bell caissons. Meanwhile, rock-socketed caissons require coring into the bedrock, and therefore need more force to get to the required depth (one foot deep into the bedrock), and take longer to install. Installation of all bell caissons is complete, and the team now turns their focus to finishing up the rock-socketed caissons.

With this accelerated schedule, all caisson work is slated for completion in early February.

NEXT STEPS: INSTALLING THE FOUNDATION
In last month’s update, we shared that the team was preparing to install the building foundation by removing the underground tanks discovered at 1000M’s site. With the site cleared, full excavation for the foundation, lasting 4-5 weeks, will begin after caisson completion.

Next steps will require reinforcing the rebar and formwork, installing underground utilities, doing site civil work and grading the ground, lasting about 6 weeks. In late March, the team will then pour an 11-foot thick slab foundation, serving as the full building footprint.

Construction will begin to go vertical in April and May; that’s when we’ll begin to see the tower take form.

While this certainly sounds promising, nobody should read this as the developer having landed a complete financing package for the project. You should read a press release or article stating as much - with sufficient details - as that, and nothing less.

And, there will be public reporting on full construction financing being landed on this tower if and when (shortly following) that occurs. My hope - and my guess is that it's more "when" and not "if".

KWillChicago Feb 5, 2020 10:59 PM

On average, not sure the depth of the caissons of this project, how long does the process of drilling and filling one caisson take for a building like this? Question two. Can they start drilling one and stop and start again days later or does it have to be done in one sweep? Question three backing on the last question. When they dig in sections, pouring after each section does the previous section have to dry before they can pour the next?

brian_b Feb 6, 2020 4:32 AM

Caisson drills packed up and left today. They also set up new construction fencing and barriers that reserve a lane of car traffic for pedestrians and blocks the entire sidewalk.

Zapatan Feb 6, 2020 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 8822492)
Caisson drills packed up and left today. They also set up new construction fencing and barriers that reserve a lane of car traffic for pedestrians and blocks the entire sidewalk.

They're done already? That seemed fast.

psxvz Feb 11, 2020 3:18 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCK9...ature=youtu.be

SIGSEGV Feb 11, 2020 3:26 AM

That bird mural is not long for this world I guess

SolarWind Feb 13, 2020 3:23 AM

February 11, 2020

Knightwing Feb 15, 2020 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 8829655)
February 11, 2020

Does anyone know what these are?

Tom In Chicago Feb 15, 2020 4:19 PM

Telecommunications conduit. . .

. . .

Suburban Shadow Feb 15, 2020 4:24 PM

Those are probably the conduits that will hold the medium voltage feeders to the Com Ed vault in the building.

Tom In Chicago Feb 15, 2020 4:28 PM

^Then why are they labelled orange?

. . .

Suburban Shadow Feb 15, 2020 4:33 PM

I see the orange as used for visibility during installation. 6 - 4" conduits is overkill for telecommunications.

Bombardier Feb 15, 2020 9:32 PM

^Definitely Comed feeders. The orange is just duct tape covering the opening of the conduit so it does not get dirt in it. Telecommunications for a building like this is maybe two 4" conduits and that would allow for multiple service providers and spare space for the future.