SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

superfishy Jan 3, 2018 12:32 AM

The combination of the two would be amazing. I think it would be the most futuristic looking part of SD.
https://www.trbimg.com/img-57bc2aef/...osed-2016jan15

http://sdccblog.com/wp-content/uploa...-Expansion.jpg

Plus the new Seaport Village project just a short walk down the boardwalk

https://www.trbimg.com/img-57b89e0a/...iego-2016jul13

In addition the the Manchester Gaetway project..

https://kpbs.media.clients.ellington...7/04/06/06.jpg

Then this just across the street.

https://www.trbimg.com/img-57bd4297/...ivic-2015sep16

The bayfront could be looking quite nice a few years from now..

SDCAL Jan 3, 2018 4:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8034193)
Cool pics I just am praying this economic cycle holds steady for another year and a half so we can see 7th and Market, 11th and Broadway with the 40 floor addition built out, Last BOSA tower on PCH in front of OAP go in, and Manchester PAC Gateway. I think those projects combined with what is already UC will give us a pretty respectable skyline. But if economy tanks it could scuttle a few of those projects.

What do you guys think about the 5th ave landing project en lieu of the CC expansion? Looks like those guys are pushing hard to get their hotel built.

When is 7/Market supposed to break ground? The developer won the lawsuit in October, are they just twiddling their thumbs waiting to see if there is an appeal? When I think of how many years and years and years that prime spot has been an ugly surface parking lot it makes me angry. And a block away, the upscale grocery Market Hall closed. I wonder if they did poor business or did they decide to get out because the new Whole Foods in the 7th/Market project would be just a block away?

SDCAL Jan 3, 2018 4:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8034193)

What do you guys think about the 5th ave landing project en lieu of the CC expansion? Looks like those guys are pushing hard to get their hotel built.

Both would be the best but if it was a choice I’d choose the expansion. Better for the city/economy/future convention business in my opinion, and the large rooftop park with public access would be a really good waterfront amenity.

The Flying Dutchman Jan 3, 2018 1:55 PM

We haven't even seen any formal proposal from the City re: CC exp. but I will be likely voting for this too. Way more economic impact, although I have nothing against hotels. With the SDSU proposal qualifying for this year's ballot, I'm hoping that will pass too. It's not perfect (zero legally binding details other than merely the first right of sale) but Universities are another proven economic generator (By orders of magnitude).

SDfan Jan 3, 2018 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 8034764)
We haven't even seen any formal proposal from the City re: CC exp. but I will be likely voting for this too. Way more economic impact, although I have nothing against hotels. With the SDSU proposal qualifying for this year's ballot, I'm hoping that will pass too. It's not perfect (zero legally binding details other than merely the first right of sale) but Universities are another proven economic generator (By orders of magnitude).

Agreed. I'm not in love with the SDSU proposal, but it has the right housing unit count, and it's a big economic generator.

Also, great pics everyone! Love the updates and the proposals.

mello Jan 3, 2018 10:02 PM

I haven't heard anything about 7th and Market I will give Roger Showley at the UT a call this week regarding that. The rendering superfishy posted of CC expansion looks like part of that grassy area in front of the Hilton is being taken up. Too bad that is off limits and they couldn't do the hotel and expand the CC on those couple acres...

Regarding the SDSU plan and Soccer City here is what I don't understand. I want to see SDSU expand just like everyone else. Why can't they simply lease out the office space Soccer City plans to build? It will be way cheaper for them. What is a college campus it is essentially office space so why can't the two parties work together SC has the big hedge fund bucks to get it up and running quickly with SDSU simply coming in to lease the space as they need it seems like such a logical compromise that benefits everyone.

Streamliner Jan 4, 2018 8:52 PM

Here's a waterfront development that I don't think has been really discussed and will be a great addition to the bayfront:

New Summer Pops bayfront venue would seat 2x more people
Jeanette Steele
January 4, 2018
Article Link

Quote:

A new final environmental report describes a shell-like structure with aluminum bones and a plastic skin that would perch at the tip of Embarcadero Marina Park South, projecting music toward an audience of up to 10,000 seated on a grassy slope.

About 6,000 cubic yards of soil would be graded to create a slope for main audience seating, which would be removable chairs.

That 2.3-acre slope of lawn is expected to be made of synthetic turf — the first allowed use of “fake grass” by the Port of San Diego. It is considered an environmentally friendly choice, officials said.

The project would bring the loss of 61 trees on the site, but also new public bathrooms, renovated basketball courts and a public viewing deck on the back side of the stage that some have dubbed the “Sunset Steps.”

Four new public bathrooms would remain open at all times, and 64 new stalls would be available for performance patrons.

Most of the site would be open to the public when events are not being held. The exception would be the stage and back-of-house facilities, box office and food pavilions, which would be partially surrounded by an 8-foot fence.
http://www.trbimg.com/img-5a4d4a6f/t...ge/750/750x422

Boatguy619 Jan 4, 2018 10:25 PM

Wish it had actual seats and attracted more than just jazz. SD lacks a good concert venue. Coors/ cricket wireless/ sleep train/ mattress firm/ whatever they call it amphitheater is the only decent one but its in Chula Vista :yuck: I'd love to see something similar to the Jay Pritzker Pavillion in Chicago's Millennium park. That would be epic for this spot. This whole Seaport plan disappoints me, except for the public docks, we need more of those all around the bay!

CaliNative Jan 6, 2018 8:48 AM

San Diego Buildings in "Diagrams" Section Needs an Update

Ballpark Village building isn't shown, neither is the new courthouse tower. Maybe there are other tall buildings not shown. Get to work artists.

Also, is the 2nd Pinnacle tower under construction in east village a twin of the 1st (45 stories), or will it be a different height and design?

SDCAL Jan 6, 2018 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8035422)
I haven't heard anything about 7th and Market I will give Roger Showley at the UT a call this week regarding that. The rendering superfishy posted of CC expansion looks like part of that grassy area in front of the Hilton is being taken up. Too bad that is off limits and they couldn't do the hotel and expand the CC on those couple acres...

Please do and let us know what Mr Showley says. Mr Showley was on KPBS round table program yesterday (you can access the audio through KPBS website or the video through the KPBS ap in Apple TV). There was a long discussion on speculation of what will happen to Horton Plaza now that Westfield sold it to a European company. One “newsworthy” thing Mr Showley said was that he talked to people connected to the Manchester project and they will be breaking ground mid-year this year; he didn’t say anything about the Ritz project though.

On a separate note, I live in EV and pass by the Park and Market project daily; yesterday the fence was open and many trucks were hauling out dirt, it looks like the site is excavated deep, so we should start seeing that one rise soon. I think the UCSD annex Downtown will be huge for EV

embora Jan 6, 2018 11:45 PM

... also, I saw the historic building on the 11th & Broadway site has been shortened to only one story, as they continue to disassemble it. I understand that disassembling this is the first step, and that they will reassemble it (about 50' (?) to the south), as part of the project. That's what the developer said at a presentation, way back when.

HurricaneHugo Jan 8, 2018 7:34 AM

East Village from the sky, from Reddit user Pagosha:

https://i.redd.it/8h7ej1auwo801.jpg

I don't know an easy way to resize the picture.

mello Jan 8, 2018 8:26 PM

Has anyone heard that the Searport Village redo has been delayed. I think we were all assuming it would start right when the lease runs out in September of this year but I've been seeing in recent articles in the UT that it won't actually begin until 2020 or something. I'm pissed, I want to get that thing going sooner and hope a recession doesn't delay it. What have you guys heard?

Streamliner Jan 8, 2018 10:04 PM

Ballot initiative for convention center expansion, homelessness launched
San Diego Union-Tribune
Lori Weisberg
January 8, 2018
Link to Article

Quote:

- The measure, targeted for the November ballot, would raise $6.4 billion over 40 years, with the revenues raised divvied up among the expansion project, homelessness initiatives and road repairs.

- The bulk of the revenues would go for an expansion project costing as much as $685 million, but $2 billion would be set aside for homeless services and permanent housing.

- An estimated $600 million would be spent on repairing roads

- The hotel tax, now at 12.5 percent (including a 2 percent tourism marketing surcharge), would be raised by 1.25 to 3.25 percentage points, depending on how close hotels are to the downtown convention center.

- The coalition supporting the initiative effort includes hotel owners, business leaders, labor unions and homeless advocates.

The Flying Dutchman Jan 8, 2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8040105)
Has anyone heard that the Searport Village redo has been delayed. I think we were all assuming it would start right when the lease runs out in September of this year but I've been seeing in recent articles in the UT that it won't actually begin until 2020 or something. I'm pissed, I want to get that thing going sooner and hope a recession doesn't delay it. What have you guys heard?

My guess is nothing will happen until the Port Master Plan Update is certified by the California Coastal Commission in 2018.

The Flying Dutchman Jan 8, 2018 10:55 PM

Re: 5th Ave Landing and today's news of a CC expansion..

If voters were to pass the hotel hike measure, the city would be able to rely on a previous approval by the California Coastal Commission of a then $520 million expansion. Attorney Cory Briggs later filed suit challenging the approval, claiming it violated state environmental laws, but a judge rejected his suit, and Briggs has since appealed.

CA direct democracy laws are CONSTITUTIONAL and overrule all else.

spoonman Jan 9, 2018 11:26 PM

Does anyone have a link to a live webcam downtown that you could share? There used to be a few positioned around the city where you could view developments in progress.

Northparkwizard Jan 13, 2018 3:55 AM

17th & G Drawings

Hampton Inn, 9th & Island Drawings

Pinnacle 11th & E Drawings

superfishy Jan 13, 2018 8:25 AM

Pinnacle 11th & E Drawings[/QUOTE]

Ooo, 41 floors. That'll be a nice addition to that area, and it doesn't look bad at all in my opinion.

Also, I noticed in the street plans, they are showing a proposed 43 floor residential in the adjacent lot between 10th and 11th. Any idea what that looks like?

SDfan Jan 13, 2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfishy (Post 8045840)
Ooo, 41 floors. That'll be a nice addition to that area, and it doesn't look bad at all in my opinion.

Also, I noticed in the street plans, they are showing a proposed 43 floor residential in the adjacent lot between 10th and 11th. Any idea what that looks like?

I believe that is the Bosa project. I'm really hoping Pinnacle will develop the 32-story twins next. We need some height diversity out in the north EV.