SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

ArquitectoMontenegro Oct 26, 2016 9:20 PM

Looks like Island Ave, around 26th or 27th St.

HurricaneHugo Oct 28, 2016 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro (Post 7604555)
Looks like Island Ave, around 26th or 27th St.

Close!

Island between 25th and 26th streets

tyleraf Nov 1, 2016 2:58 AM

Here is the new design for India and Beech. http://www.civicsd.com/images/storie...eech_Plans.pdf

SDfan Nov 1, 2016 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 7608872)
Here is the new design for India and Beech. http://www.civicsd.com/images/storie...eech_Plans.pdf

Pleasant.

The Flying Dutchman Nov 2, 2016 1:43 AM

So CivicSD released a public notice today re: The Broadway Block:

http://www.civicsd.com/images/storie..._-_11.1.16.pdf

Nothing interesting except they want to amend the original plan to include more residential units, from 498 to 620. My guess is they are making the units smaller.

http://jwdainc.com/wp-content/upload...endering02.jpg

mello Nov 10, 2016 5:35 AM

:deadthread:

Anyhow just saw the British Airways 747 take off from atop the new rental car facility on Pacific HWY. Flight path was reversed so it was lifting off over Bankers Hill. The 10,000 foot runway thing is major bullshit! That baby lifted off with ease maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down our short little runway and cleared Bankers Hill with ease. Wasn't even close to being scary at all. So with my own eyes just saw that then a probably very heavy Fed Ex cargo plane handle an Easterly take off with the quick slant of the Hill no problems at all. Runway length is not the issue case closed we just need 2 parallel runways for capacity and logistics issues.

HurricaneHugo Nov 10, 2016 8:13 AM

Why do they sometimes reverse the takeoffs?

The Flying Dutchman Nov 10, 2016 8:28 AM

Weather usually, such as wind or visibility.

Westward-bound is ~95% time

Lindbergh Field weather observers – humans – in conjunction with a modern computer weather monitoring system – determine when the airport is “flipped” – that is, when the take-offs and landings are reversed. There are factors that they observe and consider, such as:

visibility drops below two miles or
the ceiling drops below 700 feet
if fog ceiling is less than 700 feet and visibility is less than 1 mile, then it’s a double-flip – planes land from and depart to the west
(if tail winds exceed 10 mph)
If visibility gets down to a mile or less and the ceiling is 300 or 400 feet, then the airport shuts down.

googled http://obrag.org/?p=73256

SDCAL Nov 10, 2016 11:41 PM

So the Chargers. Do they try something else here or leave? My thought is their best bet is to look at another city in the county. This seems to be the trend in many major metro areas like LA and SF. They go out of the city limits to smaller cities that would love the elevated stage of hosting an NFL team. Maybe bayfront Chula Vista or Oceanside which would attract both SD and OC fans ?

mello Nov 11, 2016 7:57 AM

^^^ The four power brokers in this situation are the Chargers, City/County of SD, SDSU, and a lesser extent JMI (John Moores). The Spanos family and JMI are developers and the City has 160 acres at Qualcomm site, 50 or so of prime land at Sports Arena site, and 8 square blocks between MTS Busyard/Tailgate Park. It is proven that expanding SDSU and building massive amounts of Student/Staff housing will be a major driver for the SD Metro economy. I don't see why all parties can't come together to maximize all three sites make and make money for everyone. I know its a lot of moving parts and your typical San Diego can't really see the vision they just see "giving money to the Spanos family".

How about let Spanos develop 4000 housing units at the Qualcomm Site or 2000 at the Sports Arena property. We really need a new arena AEG wanted to build one at Seaport Village maybe they could do it on the Busyard Land. I do like Rob Quigley's renderings for the East Village area where the stadium was going to go but what developer is going to come in and build that? A Chinese Billionaire :shrug:

HurricaneHugo Nov 11, 2016 8:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7619522)
So the Chargers. Do they try something else here or leave? My thought is their best bet is to look at another city in the county. This seems to be the trend in many major metro areas like LA and SF. They go out of the city limits to smaller cities that would love the elevated stage of hosting an NFL team. Maybe bayfront Chula Vista or Oceanside which would attract both SD and OC fans ?

I think they'll get an extension on their decision to move to LA since the Raiders look like they're set on Vegas

They'll try again in Mission Valley and probably fail and then they move

dl3000 Nov 11, 2016 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7618709)
Weather usually, such as wind or visibility.
visibility drops below two miles or
the ceiling drops below 700 feet
if fog ceiling is less than 700 feet and visibility is less than 1 mile, then it’s a double-flip – planes land from and depart to the west
(if tail winds exceed 10 mph)
If visibility gets down to a mile or less and the ceiling is 300 or 400 feet, then the airport shuts down.

googled http://obrag.org/?p=73256

Just to build on this, Santa Ana winds are generally cause for flipping the runway since they reverse normal wind patterns.

Regarding visibility: the Banker's Hill approach (the usual one) is too steep for the FAA requirement for instrument landing when they can't do a visual landing, so they are forced to land on the Point Loma side because it's not as steep.

Lipani Nov 11, 2016 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7619522)

I think the Chargers are as good as gone at this point. It is extremely unlikely that they will get the funding they want from the city or the county. Probably one of the only things keeping them here is the fact that they will be second fiddle to the Rams, much like the Clippers are to the Lakers.

a very long weekend Nov 11, 2016 11:08 PM

it's pretty awesome that the voters said no to handing money over to this racket. now that vegas is off the table, where else can the nfl even pull this scam? portland would never vote 700 million in taxes to hand over to this gang. maybe back to saint louis? oklahoma city?

why would the football team even need a new stadium?

The Flying Dutchman Nov 12, 2016 9:08 AM

Huge win for citizens, I agree. Develop the site as an extension of SDSU into a mini city!

eburress Nov 12, 2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a very long weekend (Post 7620473)
it's pretty awesome that the voters said no to handing money over to this racket. now that vegas is off the table, where else can the nfl even pull this scam? portland would never vote 700 million in taxes to hand over to this gang. maybe back to saint louis? oklahoma city?

San Antonio has been an NFL option and Memphis was one of the potential expansion cities back when Carolina and Jacksonville were added. In any case, the NFL wants teams in Europe, so that opens a lot of options.

plutonicpanda Nov 12, 2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a very long weekend (Post 7620473)

Vegas is off the table?

I would love it if my hometown(OKC) would land an NFL team, but truth to be told, I don't think the city can support it.

SDCAL Nov 13, 2016 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7621133)
San Antonio has been an NFL option and Memphis was one of the potential expansion cities back when Carolina and Jacksonville were added. In any case, the NFL wants teams in Europe, so that opens a lot of options.

Really? Interesting, I can't picture large numbers of Europeans getting into American style football though

Lipani Nov 13, 2016 2:00 AM

I'm in the convention industry, including logistics/security work for Comic-Con every year. Although a few events have gone to other cities for various reasons, no one in the Comic-Con office has told me that the show plans on moving. Quite a few have even mocked that prospect. Although obviously they would like to see the convention center expanded to increase attendance.

Quote:

Convention expansion still faces big hurdles
By Lori Weisberg

Buoyed by the defeat Tuesday of two stadium-convention center measures, San Diego tourism leaders say they aren’t giving up hope for a waterfront center expansion, despite clear hurdles in their way.

The hotel industry, which contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars to defeat Measures C and D, feared the ballot proposals would have quashed its long-running ambition to expand the center on the waterfront, not blocks away as part of a football stadium.

Now that the election is over, the tourism industry is ready to renew its quest for an expanded center — but not before a crucial court hearing next month on whether such a project on San Diego’s bayfront violates the state Coastal Act.

City, business and tourism leaders argue, as they have for the last several years, that the current center is maxed out and cannot attract larger, more lucrative meetings. Even worse, they say, it is in danger of losing its biggest conventions, including Comic-Con.
Full article: San Diego Union-Tribune

HurricaneHugo Nov 14, 2016 6:21 AM

I totally see this city failing to build a stadium nor an CC expansion