SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

The Flying Dutchman Oct 11, 2016 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipani (Post 7589186)
^ Very true. I work in DTLA for a few weeks every year and half of it seems like a giant construction zone. LA is a global city, though, so they are probably attracting a lot more international investment than we'll ever see. Regardless, our city (and county) has definitely dropped the ball when it comes to addressing the housing shortage.

San Diego has made a conscious decision to focus inwardly with regards to growth from here on out. Unfortunately, this is extremely difficult to do since you have immense political opposition from established neighborhoods (rightly or wrongly). Furthermore, it is much more expensive to do from a developer standpoint, which is why most new development is luxury or close to it. I think San Diego is done what it can (approved virtually 100% of all development proposals), and of course the City is very buddy buddy with developers. In the past, San Diego could get away with sprawl as a means of providing much needed housing, but time will tell how (if at all) it meets the demands of the future. It will likely have to involve public-private partnerships, from local to the state level of government, to be able to provide housing for the mainstream.

IMBY Oct 12, 2016 7:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7579639)
I'm kind of jealous of Tijuana's cool new projects:

Tijuana condo boom: The new San Diego?
San Diego Union-Tribune
Philip Molnar
September 30, 2016

http://www.trbimg.com/img-57e30e26/t...to/550/550x309

Article:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...921-story.html

Center of Tijuana? Where's Center? To some, the Rio Zona district is center, to others, Centro/Revolution, as there's essentially 2 "downtowns" to Tijuana. They already have 3 recently constructed condo towers (called New City I believe) walking distance to the Border, and so I'm curious where these will be built, as there's enough open, cleared land in Rio Zona, but hardly any in Centro, which would call for lots of clearing space. And I'm praying/hoping this project ends up in Rio Zona.

I've always maintained a certain portion of Centro, should be put on the National Historic Register, unattractive to the eye as it may seem., like the Nelson Hotel, for one, on Revolution.

When the new President came into power, one of his idealistic missions was to stop pushing the low income to the outskirts of Mexican cites (as you can see in Tijuana if you've ever taken the bus to Tecate) and build more low-income, subsidized housing in the heart of their cities. But this project is for the rich, not the poor.

ArquitectoMontenegro Oct 13, 2016 12:16 AM

This project is in Zona Rio, and I agree the "center of Tijuana" is moving eastward, away from the historical center where Ave. Revolucion is.

This project is located on the Blvd. Aguacaliente and Blvd. General Abelardo Rodriguez, which will bring it within proximity to many of Tijuana's highrises that surround the private golf club. In other words, this project couldn't be in a better place. It will start to define a more central area for the highrises and it is located on a vacant lot.

IMBY Oct 13, 2016 4:03 AM

The scare has been lifted, oh the idea of leveling buildings in Centro to build this, so I'm not surprised at all it's headed to the Rio Zona, Aguascaliente, Chapultepec Golf Course region.

Now, if the Prez of Mexico makes good on his promise to bring housing for the poor back to old Tijuana, that would be a big boon to Centro, as Centro is crying aloud for some housing, low-mid-or-higher density.

Great idea, 2 "downtowns", one for the rich/middle class, one for the poor.

IMBY Oct 13, 2016 4:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7579683)
I need to consider getting Mexican citizenship (mother is Mexican). If I can get a 3 bedroom condo 15th floor or higher for less than 300k... Well, hola.

I wonder what the earthquake and safety standards are like in these buildings though? That would be my biggest reservation.

My judgement of construction quality in Latin America comes from video's/photo's of the aftermaths of earthquakes in that area of the world.

Did a number of high rises fall over during the quake? And what buildings fell over and which survived?

Mexico City was hit with a bad one, back in the 70's? See what survived and didn't survive. And that may help with your decision.

sixonenine Oct 13, 2016 6:47 AM

Does anyone know if TJ has any height restrictions on buildings? Also have there been any higher than 500ft that have been proposed?

HurricaneHugo Oct 13, 2016 7:58 AM

Does anybody know what's being built behind Courtesy Chevrolet in Mission Valley?

Lipani Oct 13, 2016 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7592047)
Does anybody know what's being built behind Courtesy Chevrolet in Mission Valley?

Sounds like this is the project you're mentioning:

Quote:

Work has begun on Millennium Mission Valley, a high-density, mixed-use community being developed by Dinerstein Companies.

The 5.37-acre property was formerly the site of the Bob Baker auto dealership and is bounded to the north by Camino de la Reina, the east by Camino del Arroyo, the south by Camino del Rio North, and the west by the Witt Lincoln car dealership.

Dinerstein chose TCA Architects to design the project, which will have 291 apartment homes, 14 live-work units and two stand-alone buildings with 9,000 square feet of retail space. TCA is well-known throughout California for creating high-density, master-planned communities, including two San Diego projects in Clairemont Mesa: Ariva Apartments, a 253-unit community completed in 2014; and Domain Apartment, an ultra-modern, high-density community designed to attract millennials.

Irwin Yau, principal and studio director at TCA’s Irvine office, spoke exclusively to Mission Valley News about the Millennium Mission Valley project that’s due for completion by fall 2017.
missionvalleynews.com/something-different-millennium-mission-valley/

Streamliner Oct 13, 2016 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMBY (Post 7590979)
Center of Tijuana? Where's Center? To some, the Rio Zona district is center, to others, Centro/Revolution, as there's essentially 2 "downtowns" to Tijuana. They already have 3 recently constructed condo towers (called New City I believe) walking distance to the Border, and so I'm curious where these will be built, as there's enough open, cleared land in Rio Zona, but hardly any in Centro, which would call for lots of clearing space. And I'm praying/hoping this project ends up in Rio Zona.

I've always maintained a certain portion of Centro, should be put on the National Historic Register, unattractive to the eye as it may seem., like the Nelson Hotel, for one, on Revolution.

When the new President came into power, one of his idealistic missions was to stop pushing the low income to the outskirts of Mexican cites (as you can see in Tijuana if you've ever taken the bus to Tecate) and build more low-income, subsidized housing in the heart of their cities. But this project is for the rich, not the poor.

The pictured project is located on this plot of land. I don't know my Tijuana neighborhoods though so I'm not sure exactly what this area is called. It's being built on a mostly empty plot of land though, so at least no existing housing/residents will be directly pushed out.

Streamliner Oct 13, 2016 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixonenine (Post 7592037)
Does anyone know if TJ has any height restrictions on buildings? Also have there been any higher than 500ft that have been proposed?

The Tijuana airport is about two miles from the main parts of Tijuana, but I'm not sure if it has an effect on height limits there.

SDfan Oct 13, 2016 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMBY (Post 7591965)
My judgement of construction quality in Latin America comes from video's/photo's of the aftermaths of earthquakes in that area of the world.

Did a number of high rises fall over during the quake? And what buildings fell over and which survived?

Mexico City was hit with a bad one, back in the 70's? See what survived and didn't survive. And that may help with your decision.

Thank you!

SDfan Oct 13, 2016 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipani (Post 7592265)
Sounds like this is the project you're mentioning:

missionvalleynews.com/something-different-millennium-mission-valley/

Rendering:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ley1webtop.jpg

Kenchiku desu Oct 14, 2016 4:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixonenine (Post 7592037)

Ayantamiento de Tijuana Zoning Code sets maximum height of buildings to 1.75 x distance from building face to opposite side of widest street. Clearly, then, these towers are getting special dispensation.

IMBY Oct 14, 2016 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7592304)
The pictured project is located on this plot of land. I don't know my Tijuana neighborhoods though so I'm not sure exactly what this area is called. It's being built on a mostly empty plot of land though, so at least no existing housing/residents will be directly pushed out.

Obviously, there's not much for city planning in TJ, as this project will be of no help at all in terms of concentration of buildings, or a new city center in the Rio Zona district.

It's exasperating, in some ways, downtown TJ/has been abandoned, and they're creating scattered density areas in Rio Zona, like the 3 New City towers so close to the Border which just rose up in the last 5 years.

No rhyme or reason here for that!

It saddens me, as on my last trip there this summer, I see more and more empty storefronts in Centro and abandoned buildings, as if there's a relocation going to Zona Rio.

superfishy Oct 15, 2016 5:32 PM

In the Central Library looking east. The Alexan (18 floors) is about 7 floors up, and I see a hole which I believe is for the second 15th and Island tower (45 floors). Also ground level construction for 460 16th street tower (21 floors) is underway.

Its nice to see 3 towers going up at the same time within a 3 block diameter, not to mention Ballpark village going up relatively close by.

The 330 13th street Library Tower (22 floors) lot has been cleared and fenced, any news on when it will begin construction? The website of the construction company says 2nd quarter 2016.

sixonenine Oct 16, 2016 1:08 AM

A cool thing that is happening right now is the "Rise Up As One" music festival happening at the border of San Diego and TJ.Two Cities, two countries united in one big party! Comes to show how much closer our cities are becoming and unites everybody. #NO WALLS, WE DON'T NEED THEM

sixonenine Oct 16, 2016 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenchiku desu (Post 7593050)
Ayantamiento de Tijuana Zoning Code sets maximum height of buildings to 1.75 x distance from building face to opposite side of widest street. Clearly, then, these towers are getting special dispensation.

So is there a possibility of there being a building taller than 500 ft? It would be nice to see a big skyscraper in our region.

Bertrice Oct 16, 2016 2:23 AM

well this skyscraper in ob is being protested. the NIMBY's are so short sighted. if this were to pass it would up property values for everyone etc etc

http://www.cbs8.com/story/33396998/o...medium=twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cu1SWbeVIAAqQpV.jpg

HurricaneHugo Oct 16, 2016 7:01 AM

4 people killed as a car plunges from the Coronado Bridge onto a crowd at Chicano Park

http://www.10news.com/news/people-tr...ge-ramp-101516

Derek Oct 16, 2016 4:41 PM

As the thread creator, I more than welcome active discussions about projects happening in Tijuana. :)