SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

northbay Jul 29, 2009 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 4376133)
Umm..someone needs to do a photo update. You Diegans never do picture updates.

my sentiments exactly. u guys actually have a cool skyline with a couple neat projects under construction so someone please post some photo updates. literally 1000s will prob appreciate it

HurricaneHugo Jul 30, 2009 4:19 AM

I gave up on taking photos cuz people didn't like them. :(

tdavis Jul 30, 2009 10:32 PM

I'll take some tomorrow. It's just really dead in San Diego right now due to the fiscal crisis in CA. And the few projects that are on-going are in the infancy and have yet to rise above ground (except for 2).

staplesla Jul 30, 2009 11:54 PM

$70 million to design I-5, rapid transit, and rail projects‏

The SANDAG Board set aside $70 million on Friday to begin final design work on a set of major projects – with the goal of putting the agency in a position to quickly pursue any federal or state funding that becomes available to pay for the actual construction of the infrastructure.

“Having shovel-ready projects on the shelf and ready to go has made it possible for SANDAG to put $750 million of transportation construction contracts out to bid since 2005,” said SANDAG Executive Director Gary Gallegos. “But now that shelf of projects is pretty bare. We need to get another set ready to go so we will be able to successfully compete for funding when money becomes available.”

The Board voted unanimously to set aside the $70 million in local TransNet half-cent sales tax money for the design work. When the projects are further along in the design phase, SANDAG will be able to make realistic estimates on completion dates – an important factor in competing for federal and state dollars. The TransNet program also provides funds for construction – attracting matching funds from the federal and state governments.

The $70 million will pay for design work on the coastal rail corridor, HOV lanes on Interstate 5 in North County, and South Bay Bus Rapid Transit.

* Coastal Rail Corridor: This set of projects will improve tracks at bottleneck locations in San Diego, Carlsbad, Oceanside, and at Camp Pendleton. The improvements will increase the amount of double track on the 60-mile corridor from 32 miles to 42 miles, improve operational effectiveness and reliability, and increase the capacity on the corridor from 73 trains to 79 trains. The cost to design these track improvements is estimated at $19.1 million.

* I-5 North Coast: This project will extend I-5 HOV lanes 13 miles from Manchester Avenue to State Route 78. Noise barriers also will be constructed, where reasonable and feasible, along the length of the project. The cost to design these proposed improvements is estimated at $32.5 million.

* South Bay Bus Rapid Transit (BRT): The South Bay BRT is being designed to provide premium transit service between the Otay Mesa border crossing and downtown San Diego. The service will traverse the State Route 125, Palomar Street, Interstate 805, and State Route 94 corridors. Funds will be used to begin design on the segment between the Heritage Station and downtown San Diego. The cost to design this section of the project is estimated at $18.8 million.

San Diego County News

HurricaneHugo Jul 31, 2009 4:13 AM

What about the mid-coast trolley expansion?

Derek Jul 31, 2009 7:31 AM

^^^

Not until 2050 at least.

ShekelPop Jul 31, 2009 5:53 PM

Has anyone in the UTC area ventured out on the super loop buses? I was wondering if people are using the routes or not. And since people have been saying how dead it is, the one place where development is actually alive and well is at UCSD, if anyone has a chance to get some shots of those projects, at least it'd give us something to look at.

tdavis Jul 31, 2009 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 4384362)
Has anyone in the UTC area ventured out on the super loop buses? I was wondering if people are using the routes or not. And since people have been saying how dead it is, the one place where development is actually alive and well is at UCSD, if anyone has a chance to get some shots of those projects, at least it'd give us something to look at.

I live in UTC and every time the superloop bus goes by it is packed. Especially at Lebon/Nobel Drive. There are usually 75 or so people standing at the bus stop every hour between 7am-9am and 3-6pm

Beau Jul 31, 2009 8:39 PM

A couple people from this thread commented on the urine issue at Fahrenheit. I'm the president of the HOA. We're well aware of the issue. It originally was grass - twice, died off quickly. The move to artificial turf turned it from an eye sore to a nose sore.

I'm trying to cull any info on this around the web - has anyone seen mention of this on other forums or realtor blogs? I'm trying to bring evidence to the CCDC that the public sees this as 'blight' and may be more amenable to a proper solution.

Thanks a bunch. - Beau

HurricaneHugo Aug 1, 2009 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 4384362)

Of course it's dead UCSD is not in session!

They have nice buses though! Much better than the ones I drive. :(

If I can borrow my sister's camera I can take some pics. :)

kpexpress Aug 1, 2009 4:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau (Post 4384659)
A couple people from this thread commented on the urine issue at Fahrenheit. I'm the president of the HOA. We're well aware of the issue. It originally was grass - twice, died off quickly. The move to artificial turf turned it from an eye sore to a nose sore.

I'm trying to cull any info on this around the web - has anyone seen mention of this on other forums or realtor blogs? I'm trying to bring evidence to the CCDC that the public sees this as 'blight' and may be more amenable to a proper solution.

Thanks a bunch. - Beau

My pekingese, named Buddha, has adopted the front of Fahrenheit's artificial turf as his favorite place to mark his spot every morning. I don't think the smell is that bad, it's sort of expected if you're a dog owner and given the amount of dog owners that live in the EV (ballpark specifically) I wouldn't think many would mind the smell. At least it gets sprayed off every so often. I would rather smell dog piss than homeless piss near the trolley tracks.

Derek Aug 1, 2009 6:26 PM

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=142239

eburress Aug 1, 2009 7:31 PM

^^ SDSU repurposing the Qualcomm site would seem to make a lot of sense for both the city/region and the school. It's obviously a long way off, but I guess it's something to get at least a little excited about.

HurricaneHugo Aug 1, 2009 11:35 PM

Why didn't anybody think of this before?

Sounds good!

And as for Frye's park, get rid of that golf course!

staplesla Aug 4, 2009 11:36 PM

Work Begins On Broadway Pier Cruise Ship Terminal

Work officially began Tuesday on a $22.4 million cruise ship terminal at the Broadway Pier along the downtown waterfront that officials said is needed to handle the growing industry in San Diego.

The 52,000-square-foot, two-story steel and metal-framed terminal will be able to handle 2,600 passengers and will include spaces for ticketing and baggage and U.S. Customs & Border Protection.

Construction is scheduled to be completed in December of next year.

Officials from the Port of San Diego, Carnival Cruise Lines, area cities and Mexico gathered adjacent to the construction site at a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the start of work.

According to the port, the local cruise business has outgrown the existing terminal at the B Street Pier, which can handle only two ships at a time.

There were 297 cruise ship calls in San Diego last year.

"Although our industry, as well as the world, is facing some rather difficult economic times, planning for the future cannot be overlooked," Carnival's Carlos Torres de Navarra said.

Carnival, the parent company of Holland America Line, loaned the Port of San Diego $12 million to help pay for the construction of the terminal.

Stephen Cushman, chair of the Board of Port Commissioners, said each cruise ship that stops in San Diego has an economic impact of about $2 million.

"Obviously we have waited for this day for a long, long time," Cushman said. "We could not have done this without our partners, specifically representing Carnival."

San Diego City Councilman Kevin Faulconer said the cruise industry bolsters the local economy through the creation of jobs and tourism.

"The new cruise ship terminal will be a new entry point, I'm told, for nearly 1 million cruise ship passengers," Faulconer said.

http://www.10news.com/news/20280300/detail.html

http://www.sandiegolifestyle.info/wp..._Terminal1.jpg

OneMetropolis Aug 5, 2009 3:37 AM

^^^ here's a view from a wider vantage point.

http://www.orchidsandonions.org/file...-port-site.jpg

Derek Aug 5, 2009 6:54 AM

Too bad the rest of the pier is ugly as shit.

Pittsteelers247 Aug 5, 2009 7:27 AM

Is that just a basic rendering of the pier? Or are they at least gonna install trees or benches?

Derek Aug 5, 2009 5:18 PM

More fantastic news! :rolleyes:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...terfront-plan/

Fusey Aug 5, 2009 8:32 PM

A "view analysis" because of trees? You've got to be shitting me.