SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   2023 Transportation Master Plan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240917)

waterloowarrior Nov 9, 2019 5:19 PM

2023 Transportation Master Plan

City website
https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...er-plan-update

Scope of Work
https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/view...&fileid=592951

Federation of Community Associations is planning a workshop on November 30, 2019
http://fca-fac.ca/2019/11/workshop-a...r-plan-nov-30/

J.OT13 Nov 11, 2019 4:46 PM

Maybe put this here. Seems like a good spot.

I posted this on the Canadian Transit Thread this morning. If all goes according to the City's plan, whether of not we agree with all of it, we could have 85 kilometers of rail and 56 stations by 2030. Ottawa was far behind other cities, but we could catch up within only 20 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.OT13 (Post 8745055)
Ottawa O-Train. In red and green are the existing and Stage 2 lines (2001-2025), totaling 64 kilometers and 41 stations.

In orange (Barrhaven, 10 km and 7 stations) and purple (Kanata, 11 km, 8 stations) are Stage 3. If all goes according to plan, the entire network as currently invisioned should be completed by 2030, assuming a non-stop building phase. The network would total 85 kilometers and 56 stations.

https://cdn.otrainfans.ca/forum/uplo...9fe9b06caa.png
https://www.otrainfans.ca/forum/topi...s#comment-1674

Gat-Train Nov 11, 2019 5:42 PM

Ideally, the Kanata extension would start by 2024, just as Stage 2 construction started before Stage 1 opened

Tesladom Nov 11, 2019 6:38 PM

Can we see the proposals under consideration? Updated map to TMP 2022 anywhere?

Truenorth00 Nov 11, 2019 7:58 PM

Problems with the Confederation Line aside, this has worked out well. The Barrhaven and Kanata extensions are in blue ridings, the party that tends to be skeptical on transit investment. Will be much easier to push the mayor's demand that the province and feds fund 100% of this extension.

Uhuniau Nov 12, 2019 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenorth00 (Post 8745379)
Problems with the Confederation Line aside, this has worked out well. The Barrhaven and Kanata extensions are in blue ridings, the party that tends to be skeptical on transit investment. Will be much easier to push the mayor's demand that the province and feds fund 100% of this extension.

No, it won't. There is not now, and never will be, any appetite on the part of the senior orders of government to fund any transit project with a municipal share of 0%, in any city in the country.

OCCheetos Nov 12, 2019 3:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhuniau (Post 8745797)
No, it won't. There is not now, and never will be, any appetite on the part of the senior orders of government to fund any transit project with a municipal share of 0%, in any city in the country.

Except for various projects in the GTHA, right?

lrt's friend Nov 12, 2019 4:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCCheetos (Post 8745802)

Well, they are the economic engine of the country, while Ottawa is sucking central (taxes)

danishh Nov 12, 2019 3:00 PM

I have a feeling transit funding is going to be a big part of the next Ontario election.

One of the Ontario Liberal leadership candidates is advocating free transit fares, which i'm not a fan of.

More realistic would be a reversal of the PC gas tax move, itself a reversal of the former Liberal government's expansion of gas tax revenues, and possibly a move on tolling Toronto highways as Tory wanted. This would allow the municipalities to 'raise' their 1/3rd share more easily.

I'm betting TMP 2022 has no major changes, just including the updated stage 3 plans and more pedestrian and cycling facilities, plus some light BRT improvements along baseline and carling. That said, with the new 25 year planning window, there could be some interesting long-term conceptual links. The existing plan goes to 2031. The new one extends the horizon to 2046. The Conroy-Lees Hospital link, the Hunt Club-Walkley-Innes connector and associated south orleans BRT link were already on the last plan. I expect the Fallowfield bridge will get firmed up along with the leitrim and earl armstrong realignments. We may also see what the NCC has planned in terms of new parkways or interprovincial bridges.

lrt's friend Nov 12, 2019 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 8746033)
I have a feeling transit funding is going to be a big part of the next Ontario election.

One of the Ontario Liberal leadership candidates is advocating free transit fares, which i'm not a fan of.

More realistic would be a reversal of the PC gas tax move, itself a reversal of the former Liberal government's expansion of gas tax revenues, and possibly a move on tolling Toronto highways as Tory wanted. This would allow the municipalities to 'raise' their 1/3rd share more easily.

I'm betting TMP 2022 has no major changes, just including the updated stage 3 plans and more pedestrian and cycling facilities, plus some light BRT improvements along baseline and carling. That said, with the new 25 year planning window, there could be some interesting long-term conceptual links. The existing plan goes to 2031. The new one extends the horizon to 2046. The Conroy-Lees Hospital link, the Hunt Club-Walkley-Innes connector and associated south orleans BRT link were already on the last plan. I expect the Fallowfield bridge will get firmed up along with the leitrim and earl armstrong realignments. We may also see what the NCC has planned in terms of new parkways or interprovincial bridges.

I expect the city's plan regarding interprovincial bridges is to do nothing and to prepare for nothing.

Acajack Nov 12, 2019 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrt's friend (Post 8746082)
I expect the city's plan regarding interprovincial bridges is to do nothing and to prepare for nothing.

And hope that they can get away with it?

lrt's friend Nov 12, 2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8746522)
And hope that they can get away with it?

Didn't they already get away with it before and they did the same with interprovincial rapid transit? Ignore it and it will go away.

Uhuniau Nov 13, 2019 3:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCCheetos (Post 8745802)

Which ones there are being funded with 0% local financing?

Uhuniau Nov 13, 2019 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 8746033)
We may also see what the NCC has planned in terms of new parkways or interprovincial bridges.

Hopefully the NCC parkway plan is to build no more of them.

OCCheetos Nov 13, 2019 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhuniau (Post 8746864)
Which ones there are being funded with 0% local financing?

Eglinton, Finch, the Ontario Line, Hurontario, and Hamilton are all fully funded by the provincial government through Metrolinx if I'm not mistaken. At various levels of approval and construction, of course.

Mikeed Nov 13, 2019 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhuniau (Post 8746866)

Nothing better then a good parkway.

Here's hoping for a scenic ring-road and a connection from the Ottawa River Parkway to the 417. Place a peak period toll on the route.

I doubt ether of these will happen.

Here's hoping for Greenbelt 2.

Protecting the South March Highlands and beyond. Come up with a plan to both do a ring road and an 2nd Greenbelt beyond the existing suburbs.

lrt's friend Nov 13, 2019 5:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhuniau (Post 8746866)

They are a whole lot better than the crap that the city builds.

Uhuniau Nov 14, 2019 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeed (Post 8746916)

There's at least one thing better: a non-existent parkway.

Quote:

Here's hoping for a scenic ring-road and a connection from the Ottawa River Parkway to the 417. Place a peak period toll on the route.
If you like scenery, go for a hike.

Quote:

Only if it means we can finally get rid of Greenbelt 1 and build actual urban fabric on all of its non-sensitive parts and put a halt to suburban sprawl once and for all.

A "greenbelt" needs to be almost an hour's drive wide in order to have any impact on sprawl-reduction. "Green" belts are brown.

Uhuniau Nov 14, 2019 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrt's friend (Post 8746964)
They are a whole lot better than the crap that the city builds.

In what way?

CityTech Nov 14, 2019 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeed (Post 8746916)

I doubt ether of these will happen.

Protecting the South March Highlands and beyond. Come up with a plan to both do a ring road and an 2nd Greenbelt beyond the existing suburbs.

Rather than making a Greenbelt 2, I'd actually prefer a plan to replace the existing Greenbelt with a Greenbelt 2 through land swaps.

In the west, sell off the land between Barrhaven/Kanata and Nepean, and use the money to buy up all the land separating Barrhaven & Kanata from Richmond, Manotick, and Carp for a new Greenbelt. That way, we build up the suburbs to be closer to each other instead of extending further outwards. There's so much land in this part of the Greenbelt that it could basically mean the southern and western limits of the urban boundary are not extended again for a century or more.

In the south and the east, however, this is harder to do because much of the Greenbelt lands are undevelopable anyway (due to the airport exclusion zone and Mer Bleue). However, some smaller scale swaps might be possible. In the east, sell off the Greenbelt lands north of the 174 and use the money to extend the Greenbelt to include some of the rural areas between Orleans and Navan. (That actually helps Mer Bleue by keeping Orleans further away from it). In the south, sell off the area between Blossom Park and Findlay Creek and use the money to buy up the land between Findlay Creek/Riverside South and Greely.

Because the sold off Greenbelt land would be more valuable than the land making up the new Greenbelt 2, we could actually have a net increase in the amount of protected land. And we could trade in simple farmland for the opportunity to protect lands like the wetlands between Kanata and Carp. Not to mention, makes the city grow closer together instead of further apart. Win-win-win.