SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Pearlie_Steve Aug 24, 2019 2:10 AM

I don't understand the obsession with Marshall's and Old Navy.Whenever I drive by Stavanger,there aren't many cars in the parking lot. That doesn't exactly scream "high demand for second locations".

PoscStudent Aug 25, 2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearlie_Steve (Post 8667897)
I don't understand the obsession with Marshall's and Old Navy.Whenever I drive by Stavanger,there aren't many cars in the parking lot. That doesn't exactly scream "high demand for second locations".

I love both. The location on Stavanger had been their busiest store in Atlantic Canada.

Larla77 Aug 25, 2019 9:08 PM

Paderno on Stavanger is closing. Noticed today yellow signs when I was at Swiss Chalet for lunch and drove by on the way out. They were store closing, liquidation signs as I suspected. I'm not surprised as I rarely saw anyone in there.

Was at the mall last night and chatted to the person at Peoples while getting a ring inspection. She was talking about stores opening although nothing new really. More existing stores will be moving around as they update their signage, etc. Newfoundland Chocolate company apparently moving into a larger space and having a cafe at their space in addition to the retail.

Arrakis Aug 29, 2019 11:23 AM

For all of you guys hoping that Forever 21 would open a shop in St John’s, you may have a long wait. They are most likely filing for bankruptcy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/fore...rROoy4JkW9_Bus

cdotr Aug 31, 2019 4:04 PM

There are two notices from the city in today's Telegram that Crombie REIT has applied for approval to construct a national coffee drive thru and a national bank drive thru at 46 Kenmount Road.

Here are the links. There are links to PDFs showing the maps, one is on the east and one on the west side of the Polina Rd entrance.

http://stjohns.ca/public-notice/appl...ss-polina-road

http://stjohns.ca/public-notice/appl...ss-polina-road

Does this end the hopes of a Fog City stand alone store???

jjavman Aug 31, 2019 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdotr (Post 8674493)
There are two notices from the city in today's Telegram that Crombie REIT has applied for approval to construct a national coffee drive thru and a national bank drive thru at 46 Kenmount Road.

Here are the links. As one is labeled East and one is Labeled West I will assume these are separate buildings on either side of the Polina Rd entrance.

http://stjohns.ca/public-notice/appl...ss-polina-road

http://stjohns.ca/public-notice/appl...ss-polina-road

Does this end the hopes of a Fog City stand alone store???

Bank could be ScotiaBank moving outside?

Arrakis Aug 31, 2019 4:27 PM

Or it could be CIBC as the current hallway leading to the bank and Starbucks will be eliminated once the expansion is completed.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jjavman (Post 8674497)
Bank could be ScotiaBank moving outside?


Larla77 Sep 4, 2019 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdotr (Post 8674493)
There are two notices from the city in today's Telegram that Crombie REIT has applied for approval to construct a national coffee drive thru and a national bank drive thru at 46 Kenmount Road.

Here are the links. There are links to PDFs showing the maps, one is on the east and one on the west side of the Polina Rd entrance.

http://stjohns.ca/public-notice/appl...ss-polina-road

http://stjohns.ca/public-notice/appl...ss-polina-road

Does this end the hopes of a Fog City stand alone store???

I think the Fog City ship sailed a while ago. So is it CIBC and Starbucks moving outside or CIBC and another Tims with Starbucks staying in the mall. or something else entirely.

jjavman Sep 4, 2019 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8674503)
Or it could be CIBC as the current hallway leading to the bank and Starbucks will be eliminated once the expansion is completed.

I think you're right. Forgot about CIBC.

:cheers:

Arrakis Sep 4, 2019 6:33 PM

Avalon Mall now has the remaining parking lot in front of the old Winners location closed to allow continuation of the new mall expansion.

On a side note. Perhaps Avalon Mall renovations and expansion deserves a separate thread of its own since it’s such a huge project. Some people are actually more interested in what’s happening at the mall than what’s goin up to Galway. Anyone else agree?

elizabethf1985 Sep 8, 2019 2:38 PM

Agree.

jjavman Sep 8, 2019 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8677542)
Avalon Mall now has the remaining parking lot in front of the old Winners location closed to allow continuation of the new mall expansion.

On a side note. Perhaps Avalon Mall renovations and expansion deserves a separate thread of its own since it’s such a huge project. Some people are actually more interested in what’s happening at the mall than what’s goin up to Galway. Anyone else agree?

Agree!

wmemeadusjr Sep 10, 2019 10:56 AM

Avalon mall thread
 
I just started an Avalon Mall Thread

Arrakis Sep 10, 2019 4:47 PM

Thanks very much.


Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8682721)
I just started an Avalon Mall Thread


wmemeadusjr Sep 19, 2019 2:43 PM

Irving will open a gas bar and Circle K at the new Kenmount Business Park intersection. Most Irvings also include a national fast food franchise with a drive-thru attached to their building and even though this wasn't mentioned, I am assuming it will be included. Any guesses?

Also, I noticed that the Mount Pearl side of this intersection is nearly complete with sidewalks being poured and paving starting. I'm sure the traffic lights will be installed and activated soon as the infrastructure was pre-installed in the ground last fall.

Sox Sep 24, 2019 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8691938)
Irving will open a gas bar and Circle K at the new Kenmount Business Park intersection. Most Irvings also include a national fast food franchise with a drive-thru attached to their building and even though this wasn't mentioned, I am assuming it will be included. Any guesses?

Also, I noticed that the Mount Pearl side of this intersection is nearly complete with sidewalks being poured and paving starting. I'm sure the traffic lights will be installed and activated soon as the infrastructure was pre-installed in the ground last fall.

Trying to picture in my Head exactly where this is ?
Is this on Kenmount Road between Avalon Ford and Paradise Elizabeth Park ?

wmemeadusjr Sep 24, 2019 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 8696825)
Trying to picture in my Head exactly where this is ?
Is this on Kenmount Road between Avalon Ford and Paradise Elizabeth Park ?


Yes, midway between.

Larla77 Sep 27, 2019 2:56 PM

Looks like the old Model Shop building downtown has been leased. Sign in the window says Isla and Sam's Shoes and Fashion.

Arrakis Sep 30, 2019 11:28 AM

For those on here that were always hoping for a Forever 21 would open in St. John’s will be disappointed to know they are closing all 44 Forever 21 stores in Canada as they are going through bankruptcy. Here’s a link to the story.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...anadian-stores

Sox Oct 3, 2019 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8699939)
Looks like the old Model Shop building downtown has been leased. Sign in the window says Isla and Sam's Shoes and Fashion.

Damn it ! I was hoping for another Dollar store or maybe even a Tim Horton's !

jeddy1989 Oct 4, 2019 11:57 AM

A little bit of a teaser from The Telegram

Quote:

Will N.L. get an Ikea?

Maybe, maybe not
Was IKEA dangling a carrot to Newfoundland and Labrador customers, or just teasing a little?

The beloved Swedish retailer — whose nearest store is in Halifax, N.S., recently weighed in on St. John’s Facebook posters clamouring for a IKEA store in N.L. instead of just a collection point for shipping.

The IKEA comments hinted at a possible reversal of the long-held notion that IKEA would never locate an actual bricks and mortar store in this province because of the lack of minimum population to serve as a customer base. Some commenters acknowledged it’s a pipe dream, while others cited St. John’s now as the largest Costco in Canada, so an NL IKEA location should do well among trendy bargain hunting locals.

As posters suggested Stavanger Drive and Galway as possible locations, IKEA Canada posted of the Galway suggestion:

“That’s a great idea …. We are always trying to find new ways to be accessible to all our customers across Canada so an IKEA in Galway could be a possibility in the future! We will definitely be forwarding this feedback, so keep an eye out.”


In another comment, IKEA Canada said, “Your feedback for a new store opening in Newfoundland will be shared with the concerned department. You never know, it might happen one day. We’ll keep our fingers crossed for you. Have a nice day.”

The Galway development told The Telegram it can’t provide any info on any discussions with potential retailers, as it’s up to the retailers to announce their intentions.

Kristin Newbigging, public relations leader for IKEA Canada based in Burlington, Ont., told The Telegram via email that IKEA does not have any new expansion plans to share at this time, but did not outright say no.

“As all of our new touchpoints are still under negotiations it wouldn’t be fair to comment on which cities/locations,” Newbigging said.

IKEA has a collection point in St. John’s in which customers can pick up orders placed online at the retailer’s website for a flat-rate shipping cost of $79.

Collection points are not owned or operated by IKEA, nor are there products available for purchase at the collection points.

The collection points’ shipping rates vary across the country. For instance, Quebec’s collection points have a flat shipping rate of $49 for online customers, while B.C. collection point’s shipping rate is $79, the same as NL.


Ontario collection locations’ fees vary from $10-$39.

New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI locations have a flat rate of $59, while IKEA online customers in Saskatchewan pay $99.
https://www.thetelegram.com/business...n-ikea-359922/

It's notable to point out that in the past when people would post to IKEA on FB about them opening a store here, their response has always been something along the lines of "we are always looking for new expansion opportunities however there isn't a plan for a NL store at the moment"

:shrug:

statbass Oct 4, 2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 8706909)
A little bit of a teaser from The Telegram



https://www.thetelegram.com/business...n-ikea-359922/

It's notable to point out that in the past when people would post to IKEA on FB about them opening a store here, their response has always been something along the lines of "we are always looking for new expansion opportunities however there isn't a plan for a NL store at the moment"

:shrug:

Quote:

That’s a great idea …. We are always trying to find new ways to be accessible to all our customers across Canada so an IKEA in Galway could be a possibility in the future! We will definitely be forwarding this feedback, so keep an eye out.”
A quote from IKEA in the Telegram story. One could interpret that as a step in the right direction????

Larla77 Oct 4, 2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8706916)
A quote from IKEA in the Telegram story. One could interpret that as a step in the right direction????

Danny would love an IKEA in Galway. I've always thought this was planned to be one of those "new to Newfoundland" retailers that was touted when The Shoppes at Galway was first announced. I'm sure the Dewcor team continue to work on getting that to happen although I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Arrakis Oct 4, 2019 6:06 PM

Regardless of what many people say and crave for an IKEA store in St John’s...I’m convinced that IKEA would not succeed here with our small (and declining) population.

It’s not like Costco which which is general groceries and merchandise, IKEA is primarily just a furniture store. I’m sure if we did get one it would be super popular for about six months and then the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

Plus Nova Scotia’s IKEA has the the benefit of a much larger population and the fact that province is attached to mainland Canada and nearby USA. We are separated here on an island which limits travelling to and from.

Perhaps a much smaller IKEA pickup and order store which was once mentioned as a new concept for them would make more sense for here. I

But a full size IKEA is just a pipe dream really in my opinion.




Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 8706909)
A little bit of a teaser from The Telegram



https://www.thetelegram.com/business...n-ikea-359922/

It's notable to point out that in the past when people would post to IKEA on FB about them opening a store here, their response has always been something along the lines of "we are always looking for new expansion opportunities however there isn't a plan for a NL store at the moment"

:shrug:


jeddy1989 Oct 4, 2019 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8707267)
Regardless of what many people say and crave for an IKEA store in St John’s...I’m convinced that IKEA would not succeed here with our small (and declining) population.

It’s not like Costco which which is general groceries and merchandise, IKEA is primarily just a furniture store. I’m sure if we did get one it would be super popular for about six months and then the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

Plus Nova Scotia’s IKEA has the the benefit of a much larger population and the fact that province is attached to mainland Canada and nearby USA. We are separated here on an island which limits travelling to and from.

Perhaps a much smaller IKEA pickup and order store which was once mentioned as a new concept for them would make more sense for here. I

But a full size IKEA is just a pipe dream really in my opinion.

I completely disagree. it doesn't take millions of people to support 1 cheap furniture store lol. I've been to a bunch in Europe in smaller cities than St. John's. ... Iceland even has one and their population is 200k less than NL.
The population base rule was part of their overseas expansion plan, which has clearly changed with one being in Halifax again.

Arrakis Oct 5, 2019 4:19 AM

Noted. But I stand by my opinion.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 8707284)
I completely disagree. it doesn't take millions of people to support 1 cheap furniture store lol. I've been to a bunch in Europe in smaller cities than St. John's. ... Iceland even has one and their population is 200k less than NL.
The population base rule was part of their overseas expansion plan, which has clearly changed with one being in Halifax again.


Arrakis Oct 5, 2019 10:25 AM

Perhaps a smaller format IKEA could work here. Like is explained in the link blow...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ikea...190625237.html

statbass Oct 8, 2019 11:06 AM

I noticed this morning the sign is on the new Shopper's building in Paradise (next to Starbucks). I heard that the tentative opening date is mid to late November.

KDMusic Nov 3, 2019 1:44 AM

Anyone know whats going in the old Furniture Market spot on Kenmount? Noticed today that they've started renovating it and painting the outside blue and grey

IronMan Nov 3, 2019 8:03 PM

I heard that Giant Tiger is going to move into part of the former Target building on Stavanger Drive. Does anyone know anything about this?

Tocchet22 Nov 5, 2019 2:08 PM

Dollarama Water Street Now Open
 
Opened October 29th according to construction worker working the site.

Larla77 Nov 5, 2019 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8737697)
I heard that Giant Tiger is going to move into part of the former Target building on Stavanger Drive. Does anyone know anything about this?

That rumor has been around for awhile now I think. Would love for Giant Tiger to set up shop here.

wmemeadusjr Nov 7, 2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMusic (Post 8737331)
Anyone know whats going in the old Furniture Market spot on Kenmount? Noticed today that they've started renovating it and painting the outside blue and grey

The old Furniture Market will be home of a merged NAPA store. Both the Commonwealth Avenue and Freshwater Road locations will close and this new merged location will open that will basically be located midway between the 2 current locations.

Arrakis Nov 12, 2019 7:35 PM

Just noticed an approval of renovations in the city’s agenda to 24 stavanger Drive which is the former Target store. They reference it as shopping centre. Anyone know of any more details on this? I already heard about the Giant Tiger rumours but that’s all they are at this point.

Larla77 Nov 14, 2019 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8746424)
Just noticed an approval of renovations in the city’s agenda to 24 stavanger Drive which is the former Target store. They reference it as shopping centre. Anyone know of any more details on this? I already heard about the Giant Tiger rumours but that’s all they are at this point.

Now that is interesting. Nice to see something happening there.

Arrakis Nov 18, 2019 4:05 PM

The NL Chocolate Factory's new location is now opened in the Avalon Mall across from the new Winners.

Also. TipTop is going to be moving too into the new expansion area also across from from Winners.

Also gotta peek into and former Winners space. It's completely gutted to the studs or steel beams in this case.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9e&oe=5E4AAC70

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c3&oe=5E49CDAB

wmemeadusjr Nov 20, 2019 6:12 PM

Shoppers Drug Mart has opened in the new Paradise Plaza development.

KDMusic Nov 20, 2019 9:46 PM

Sounds like the Avalon Mall is starting their renovations to Toys R Us plaza finally, noticed a permit for it in the council agenda for this week.

Also noticed new construction starting in Galway for a retail store at 95 Danny Drive, and a new restaurant going in the same plaza as Wingin It on Kenmount Road?

Arrakis Nov 25, 2019 10:46 AM

Well it seems that Aéropostale which closed its store in Avalon Mall and left the Canadian market a few years ago due to bankruptcy is re-entering Canada with a store within a store concept by teaming up with Bluenotes. I saw an Aeropostale banner the other day in the Bluenotes front window display at the mall. Aeropostale also plan to open its own standalone stores in Canada again too so perhaps we’ll see them again at the mall.
Here is link to the article.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...rowth-strategy

Arrakis Nov 25, 2019 10:50 AM

Here is a link with photos showing the Tip Top concept store. They are moving from their current location in the mall to a new spot near to the new Winners.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...id-reinvention

Arrakis Nov 25, 2019 11:46 AM

For all who interested in the ups and downs of the Canadian retail market, check out this great website. It’s a very informative and updated daily.

www.retail-insider.com

Larla77 Dec 5, 2019 12:48 PM

I posted in another thread about activity around the old RONA store on Hebron Way. There are cars parked there most days day, building materials in the building, etc. I'm hearing rumors that its Atlantic Home Furnishing either moving or opening a second location.

BruceChafe Dec 6, 2019 3:53 PM

Was just speaking with one of the supervisors for the new Mountain Warehouse store in the Avalon. They will be opening on Dec. 13th.

Crisisnf Dec 15, 2019 1:50 AM

Anyone hearing that Bouclair (spelling?) is closing?

Arrakis Dec 15, 2019 1:53 PM

Bouclair has filed for bankruptcy as a means to be acquired by another investment company. Haven’t heard that they are closing though but did hear some underperforming stores could close.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/home...-ceo-1.4682652


Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisisnf (Post 8776351)
Anyone hearing that Bouclair (spelling?) is closing?


MonctonRad Dec 15, 2019 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8776550)
Bouclair has filed for bankruptcy as a means to be acquired by another investment company. Haven’t heard that they are closing though but did hear some underperforming stores could close.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/home...-ceo-1.4682652

Stores in Fredericton and Halifax are closing.

Stores in Moncton and St. John's are remaining open (at least for the present).

Arrakis Dec 20, 2019 8:56 PM

The new Shoppers on Empire and Freshwater is now opened.

SpongeG Dec 20, 2019 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8776550)
Bouclair has filed for bankruptcy as a means to be acquired by another investment company. Haven’t heard that they are closing though but did hear some underperforming stores could close.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/home...-ceo-1.4682652

Oh I wondered why the one in Grande Prarie (alberta) was closing

IronMan Dec 29, 2019 3:06 AM

Apparently Carlton Cards in the Avalon Mall is closing. Did we know this? Is it moving to a new location in the mall?

Arrakis Dec 30, 2019 1:52 PM

The Village Mall Store has closed some time ago too. Perhaps is just a sign of the times. Like everything else, people tend to send electronic greeting cards a lot more now.


Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8786294)
Apparently Carlton Cards in the Avalon Mall is closing. Did we know this? Is it moving to a new location in the mall?



All times are GMT. The time now is 4:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.