SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

S.DviaPhilly Jun 24, 2013 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 6174350)

Looks like a go cart race track! Wow, pretty bad

sterlippo1 Jun 24, 2013 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6175220)

I know I'm lucky to live here an all, but God damn, nothing gets done quickly (except for shoddy paint jobs over asphalt in Balboa Park).

yes, you are but when i read your post about how hard it is to get stuff done i thought you were describing Boston :haha:, same thing:rolleyes:

Nerv Jun 25, 2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6175220)
I was fine with the Jacobs plan as well. The real joke is calling anything on the Prado "historical." May I remind everyone that those buildings are plaster models that falsely romanticize our region's history. I mean it's pretty and all, but it's no Machu Picchu/Parthenon/Louvre. It's not even Old Town, which is actually historically significant.

But getting anything done in this city requires about 35 years of debate between historical preservationists (preserving any structure 10 years or older or tagged "craftsman," "Spanish revival," or "post-modern"), community planning boards ("Is this taller than 30 feet and how many parking spaces are included?"), and city planners ("Your permit will be processed in 4 to 6 ...years).

I know I'm lucky to live here an all, but God damn, nothing gets done quickly (except for shoddy paint jobs over asphalt in Balboa Park).

In contrast there are many cities that have bulldozed their past without a second thought. With all San Diego's flaws I still prefer it to the alternative. I like that people do seem to care about the past here... :)

Nerv Jun 25, 2013 12:12 AM

Does anyone know what the height of the buildings on 15th and Island & 15th and Market will be?

I know what they were supposed to be a few years ago but it seems everyone is downsizing the height of what was originally announced so I'm curious if these projects got "chopped" as well. :???:

spoonman Jun 25, 2013 4:09 AM

The project is 45 floors above grade. It will be 480 feet.

SDfan Jun 25, 2013 4:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 6176359)
In contrast there are many cities that have bulldozed their past without a second thought. With all San Diego's flaws I still prefer it to the alternative. I like that people do seem to care about the past here... :)

Believe me, I'm a historian and I value our shared past. But there is a difference between historical merit and fear of change. San Diegans (specifically older San Diegans) seem to think that every cottage, storefront, or suburban tract home holds some kind of worth to their communities. In reality, it holds worth to themselves, perhaps a good memory or some nostalgia for a bygone era. However, we cannot linger too much on our past when our children, economy, and well-being needs to move forward as the regions adds another million people over the next 35 years.
I'm not saying every block should be up for grabs, or that any building could be bulldozed, but knee-jerk, hyper-preservation, anti-growth sentiment (especially in our urban neighborhoods) will only hinder us as we move forward into the 21st century. Where are my kids going to live? Where are they going to work?
We aren't Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo. San Diego has a dynamic economy and strong community, with opportunities for boundless growth. We shouldn't limit ourselves in order to carry some false sense of security in maintaining "community character" (what does that term even mean when change is constant?). That will only lead to even less affordability, limited upward mobility and stagnation.

spoonman Jun 25, 2013 5:22 AM

^I'd say there is definitely tension between old and young (at least that's my perception) in regards to development.

The old (60, 70s+) are trying to hold on to a place that had WAY less people in their heyday. They don't want more development in the suburbs, and they complain about development in the city causing traffic and "strain on infrastructure".

Nerv Jun 25, 2013 5:22 AM

Yep. San Diego still has its share of older retired citizens who want to turn time to stone and change nothing.

Some of these people do gum up the works but the days of being a laid back retiree community, well that ship has sailed whether they realize it or not. I don't enjoy listening to some of these nimbys but a certain degree of preservation of a cities history is a good thing. As I said, more than a few cities have pretty much destroyed their past with new developments. Balance, as always is needed.

Anyway, after years of slowing it looks like things are just starting to pick up again so there's still time for the city to start making some smart choices on how they want the city to build out. I am still a bit bitter over what's going to happen to Horton Plaza. That's a shame.
San Diego has never been that affordable however and that's one thing I don't see changing for us. Like Hawaii we're a choice place to live and there's only so much land near the ocean. ;)

Nerv Jun 25, 2013 5:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6176618)
The project is 45 floors above grade. It will be 480 feet.

OK, so that's the original height to the project. So it looks like it didn't get "chopped" down at all. There were also two towers to be built. Is it just one now? :???:

tyleraf Jun 25, 2013 7:04 AM

Both towers at 15th and Island will be built as planned, however only the yellow tower is under construction right now.

aerogt3 Jun 25, 2013 1:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 6176689)
As I said, more than a few cities have pretty much destroyed their past with new developments. Balance, as always is needed.

There is a big difference between a business buying a national landmark and bulldozing it for a shopping mall, and a private home owner replacing a home built in the 1920's. (of which there are many, and who have virtually zero public utility), or making simple improvements to a site like plaza de panama.

The Jacobs plan was fine, and the 60 parking spots were an eyesore.

spoonman Jun 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6176732)
Both towers at 15th and Island will be built as planned, however only the yellow tower is under construction right now.

I have to wonder how these towers will look when built. I imagine they can't really be ketchup and mustard colored like the renderings. :shrug:

aerogt3 Jun 26, 2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6177584)
I have to wonder how these towers will look when built. I imagine they can't really be ketchup and mustard colored like the renderings. :shrug:

I don't see how they won't look like complete rubbish without COMPLETELY differencing from the renderings. Imagine in 10 years how awful :(

Urbanize_It Jun 26, 2013 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 6175953)
Looks like a go cart race track! Wow, pretty bad

I drove by and walked through last night and I think it is very well done. Yes the paint is a bit hokey, but I believe this is a case where Filner wanted to get something done quick that would give people an idea of what a huge improvement getting cars out of the plaza would be. Baby steps. I truly believe a year from now even the naysayers will be in disbelief that we ever allowed cars in the plaza. The whole place has a completely different feel now… And who knew that the San Diego Museum of Art was hidden in the back of the parking lot behind all those cars? ;)

Three cheers for this first (small) step towards completely and permanently eradicating all cars from the plaza! (Oh, and the orange fence and barricades have been replaced with more permanent planters and road dividers. Looks good.)

Urbanize_It Jun 27, 2013 6:17 PM

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...-panama-plaza/

"City spokesman Bill Harris said the last action was painting cross walks across a new traffic loop linking El Prado to Pan American Road.

"In the next few weeks we're going to watch and see how the public uses the space," he said.

For now, no vendors, food carts or entertainers will receive permits to operate in the plaza, Harris said.

Instead the public will be free to bring their own tables and chairs, skateboards, strollers and bikes and their own two feet (and a dog or two) to wander freely about the plaza. They'll likely fight -- nicely? -- for seats around the tiled fountain, donated for that people-watching purpose in the mid-1990s by the late Mary Elizabeth North.

"We'll be watching to see how people transect and bisect across the plaza," Harris said.

That activity will help determine where to place new city-purchased umbrella tables, chairs, benches and tree planter boxes.

"It is a pedestrian space, one we want the people of San Diego to define," he said."

Good job Bob!!!

Bertrice Jun 28, 2013 12:21 AM

http://kfmb.images.worldnow.com/images/22706551_BG1.jpg

SDfan Jun 28, 2013 2:51 AM

^^ The news caption should say "Parking-free plaza" not "Car-free." In case New 8 didn't notice, there are still roads in the southwest corner that take up a fourth of the plaza...

I do give kudos to Filner for some quick work. Now maybe if he'd stop shaking down his adversaries I might be inclined to vote for him again next election cycle.

spoonman Jun 28, 2013 4:43 PM

I think we're starting to see how much influence a strong mayor can really have on development. As Voice of SD put it, it will be interesting to see how Filner's pro-urban neighborhoods and transit side meshes with his other half, which is focused on the wants of many "concerned" citizens (NIMBYs).

Puzzlecraft Jun 29, 2013 5:20 AM

Anybody have pics for what is being built between 4th and 5th at Redwood? Massive hole being dug. "Broadstone Balboa Park".

SDfan Jun 29, 2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzlecraft (Post 6181721)
Anybody have pics for what is being built between 4th and 5th at Redwood? Massive hole being dug. "Broadstone Balboa Park".

I found this from google images:

(its the first image on the upper left side corner)

http://www.google.com/search?q=broad...ml%3B600%3B464

But from what I've read, this project went from 150ft to 79ft since the recession hit. So I'm not sure.