SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

Flyingwedge Sep 22, 2021 6:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 9396905)

Thanks, FW! I really appreciate it.

The house-mover in question appears to be William A. Tibbetts. "Tibbetts" is a name which can vary infinitely in records, I've found; but in the 1884-1885 CD I find him as "Tibbetts W.A.", at 33 Temple; and, in 1888, "Tibbetts William A." residing on the east side of North Chestnut "nr Pasadena Av". By 1902, he's "Tibbits Wm A" at 458 N Avenue 121 (if it's the same person) . . . and . . . I didn't check any further . . .


Ah-ha . . . Mr. Tibbetts didn't just move houses, he also moved trees, like the palm he moved from San Pedro Street to in front of SP's Arcade Depot:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag..._-_clipped.jpg

July 27, 1888, Los Angeles Times @ Newspapers.com



Here's a close-up of a photo of the palm tree being dug up to be moved. I think this has to be Mr. Tibbetts . . .

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...8/image002.jpg

BEHR-0054 by Martin Behrman @ CA State Library


. . . because the same guy is definitely on the far right:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 6130030)


Oh and I recently found out where another of those San Pedro Street palms ended up. This is 1342 West Adams, right GW?:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag..._-_Copy(1).jpg

("Bishop home on Adams St. / Old Palm moved from 3rd + San Pedro.")

uclalsc_94_171_01_014 /Hazard-Dyson Los Angeles Photograph Album, Page 14 @ UCLA Digital Library


P.S. I found a better copy of the image at another part of the UCLA site:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...ped_-_Copy.jpg

UCLA Digital Library

Beaudry Sep 23, 2021 1:40 AM

Greetings again Noirishers!

I'm hoping one of you guys n gals can help me out with something.

Somewhere, out there, I like to think there's a halfway-decent shot of the Hafen House. That is, the 1895 rooming house at 342/44 South Hill that was a parking lot by 1949. This one:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...11e2de04_o.png

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...154223d5_o.png

...and, I totally seem to remember one of those great glass plate "panoramas of the city shot from Bunker Hill" that looked down below with it on Hill right there but it's eluding me now.

Or better yet maybe there's even a nice street shot.

Any help appreciated!

Flyingwedge Sep 23, 2021 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaudry (Post 9404430)
Greetings again Noirishers!

I'm hoping one of you guys n gals can help me out with something.

Somewhere, out there, I like to think there's a halfway-decent shot of the Hafen House. That is, the 1895 rooming house at 342/44 South Hill that was a parking lot by 1949. This one:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...11e2de04_o.png


Any help appreciated!


Happy to help!

This is a close-up from what the Huntington Digital Library calls "4th and Hill, Los Angeles. 1902." The front of the Hafen is a bit obscured, but it was the best
image I could locate. We get to see the older building to the Hafen's immediate north as well:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...lms_-_1024.jpg

167596 at HDL


In addition . . .

This HDL photo (167595) is called "3rd and Hill, Los Angeles. 1902." You don't see the Hafen as clearly, but it's another view, anyhow.

This HDL photo (259693) is dated September 1, 1927. If the Hafen House was still standing, shouldn't we see it or its shadow on the building in the lower right
corner (with the "Baxter-Northup Co <-- Musical Instruments" sign)?

Flyingwedge Sep 23, 2021 6:34 AM

More Pasadena Water Tank
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 9400534)


In 1938 it's appears to be inside the park's bounds in the north west portion, tallying with odinthor's 1934 clipping.


https://i.imgur.com/ISu0lcW.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu


It appears that the water tank was built between 1903 and 1910.

Here's the 1903 Sanborn, which shows a round, 20-foot-tall water tank (circled) behind the Carr house:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag..._Park_1024.jpg

ProQuest via LA Public Library


I believe that 20-foot-tall water tank is the round thing with the pointy roof (partially blocked by what looks like a chimney) in the rear of this photo of
the Carr house. Above the lower left corner of the photo, in the distance, might be the turret of the house we see on the lower right of the 1903 map above:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 6970173)


The 1910 Sanborn Map shows the four-story "tank house" we saw in the other posts in almost the same spot as the smaller water tank:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag..._Park_1024.jpg

ProQuest via LA Public Library


The 1951 Sanborn Map shows the old water tank as "City Parks Department Storage." The map identifies the uncompleted-looking street just below the
tank as Holly Drive:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag..._Park_1024.jpg

ProQuest via LA Public Library

ethereal_reality Sep 23, 2021 6:51 AM

.
:previous:

Fantastic! This answers so many of my questions. Thanks Flyingwedge.


Here's a cabinet card titled: Carmelita - South Side - Mulberry Tree.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/D2pN4f.jpg
huntingtonarchive

Landscaped grounds and a residence that is partially visible through the branches of a tree at Carmelita. A wooden bench and chair sit under the tree.


.

ethereal_reality Sep 23, 2021 7:03 PM

.
Mislabeled photograph found on eBay. (no longer listed)


Everett's Grocery

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/ohjRVC.jpg
eBay



Here's what is written on the reverse.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/wBE5HS.jpg

"Nadeau Street - Long Beach California"






This image is a bit clearer.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/d3sEz8.jpg

You can see that it's one building built of cinder blocks with brick added to the right side.




The building is on Nadeau Street but it's in Los Angeles. . . not Long Beach.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/ISzX4E.jpg
GSV

I'm pretty sure this is the building.



The seller agrees. (actually the seller led me to this building) They get the credit.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/flxcHr.jpg
eBay



.

odinthor Sep 23, 2021 7:12 PM

In re: One of Mrs. Jeanne C. Carr's houses:

https://i.postimg.cc/0Q4pGVwH/Carr1-LAT-1896-2-5.jpg

[editing out a chunk]

https://i.postimg.cc/2Sj7DLrG/Carr2-LAT-1896-2-5.jpg
LA Times, 2/5/1896

Dr. Reid's account:

https://i.postimg.cc/DwzLDVPY/Carr-H...Hiram-Reid.jpg
History of Pasadena, by Hiram Reid, 1895, p. 52

Beaudry Sep 23, 2021 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 9404566)
Happy to help!

This is a close-up from what the Huntington Digital Library calls "4th and Hill, Los Angeles. 1902." The front of the Hafen is a bit obscured, but it was the best
image I could locate. We get to see the older building to the Hafen's immediate north as well:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...lms_-_1024.jpg

167596 at HDL


In addition . . .

This HDL photo (167595) is called "3rd and Hill, Los Angeles. 1902." You don't see the Hafen as clearly, but it's another view, anyhow.

This HDL photo (259693) is dated September 1, 1927. If the Hafen House was still standing, shouldn't we see it or its shadow on the building in the lower right
corner (with the "Baxter-Northup Co <-- Musical Instruments" sign)?

Thanks so much! I swear, sometimes I think images at photo archives like to temporarily disappear just to mess with us, because I couldn't find that one when I looked, despite my vivid memory of it. And, I totally agree, in the 1927 shot the Hafen should be evident. That's why I was limited in saying it was a parking lot "by" 1949, because unhelpfully, there's no demo permit for it. It's there in the 1921 Baist map, and there's a permit for an auto parks shed in 1949. Now, with the 1927 shot, it stands to reason it fell between 1921-27.

Reason I'm looking for the HH, btw, is I'm doing some work on early cafeterias and by all accounts the first cafeteria west of the Mississippi was—known quite simply as The Cafeteria, since it was the only one—opened in the semi-basement of the Hafen House in the spring of 1905.

odinthor Sep 24, 2021 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9402972)
.
Mystery location.

A handsome sailor poses by a car in Los Angeles.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/dPiaWJ.jpg
eBay

[...]

in the far distance there is. .um. .something....

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...922/4dnnVg.jpg

I showed this to a friend & they thought perhaps we're looking north from San Pedro.

:shrug:

.

e_r, the "something" in the distance might be the Wilmington Oil Refinery (or the like). Here's its present look:

https://i.postimg.cc/KcBy6rSh/Wilmin...l-Refinery.jpg
https://www.valero.com/about/locatio...ngton-refinery

ethereal_reality Sep 24, 2021 5:51 AM

.
Interesting theory,odinthor. I'll have to get out my trusty ruler and see where it leads.





Here is a remarkable photograph recently posted on eBay.



It shows an Asian-American posed by an open air barber shop & cigar store in downtown Los Angeles.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/v2WsKr.jpg
eBay

The photographer (in white lettering, above) was Coules' Palace Studio..351 S. Broadway..Los Angeles






The reverse is quite mysterious.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/JSpl1p.jpg

I hope that's shaving cream stains. :yuck:


In the scribbles, I believe I see. .308 N. Main St. . .and at upper right, Los Angeles, California. .and. .United States. .cigar store . .barber shop.



And finally, here's a closer look at the photograph.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/qDYDer.jpg
eBay


The photograph has a dream-like effect - like a half-remembered memory.


.

GaylordWilshire Sep 24, 2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 9403507)
Oh and I recently found out where another of those San Pedro Street palms ended up. This is 1342 West Adams, right GW?:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag..._-_Copy(1).jpg

("Bishop home on Adams St. / Old Palm moved from 3rd + San Pedro.")

uclalsc_94_171_01_014 /Hazard-Dyson Los Angeles Photograph Album, Page 14 @ UCLA Digital Library



FW: The palm is gone, but that is indeed 1342 West Adams, built by William T. Bishop in 1898. Notice the power pole--in a bit of Gay '90s noir, Mrs. Bishop witnessed the electrocution of a lineman on the day power was first being connected to the house.

We've seen posts over the years about Bishop's candy factory, including #48246.

A full history of the house is here. 1342 West Adams still stands 123 years later:

https://i.postimg.cc/bwtHYsPQ/wad134...97x654-bmp.jpg
GSV

odinthor Sep 24, 2021 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9402972)
.
Mystery location.

[...]

in the far distance there is. .um. .something....

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...922/4dnnVg.jpg

I showed this to a friend & they thought perhaps we're looking north from San Pedro.

:shrug:

.

After a little study, methinks in terms of today we may be about here . . . which unfortunately has been much transformed:

https://i.postimg.cc/c4RGHVWL/Sailor-San-Pedr.jpg
Google Maps

But here's a larger chunk of area including the above, from the Renie 1955 map book:

https://i.postimg.cc/cLTq7wrq/Renie-SPCombo.jpg
Renie 1955

Unfortunately there's a page break at the critical place (always the case!), and it's just shy of perfectly coming together. Where we see in the older map the word "Shields," just below the page break, is perhaps the vicinity of the site in the photo with the sailor.

The closest similar to the above view currently is the north end of N. Gaffey Place. Note what's in the distance:

https://i.postimg.cc/3wbPVhXn/Sailor-SPedr2.jpg
gsv

And compare the area marked "Union Oil Co." in the older map (under the words "Angeles City" in the upper half of the older map).

ethereal_reality Sep 24, 2021 5:33 PM

.
Last night I was looking all over for a map like this one. Thanks for posting it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor


This is a shot-in-the-dark but does anyone know if there was a Kaiser-Frazer dealership in San Pedro.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/U4Dmqr.jpg

I think it might say "Pedro" on the license frame at lower right :previous: but I can't see if it says "San" on the other side of the frame.


.

Flyingwedge Sep 24, 2021 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 9405855)
FW: The palm is gone, but that is indeed 1342 West Adams, built by William T. Bishop in 1898. Notice the power pole--in a bit of Gay '90s noir, Mrs. Bishop witnessed the electrocution of a lineman on the day power was first being connected to the house.

A full history of the house is here. 1342 West Adams still stands 123 years later:

Thanks for the confirmation, GW. BTW, I found a better copy of the image, now appended to my original post above.

odinthor Sep 24, 2021 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9406284)
.
Last night I was looking all over for a map like this one. Thanks for posting it.




This is a shot-in-the-dark but does anyone know if there was a Kaiser-Frazer dealership in San Pedro.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/U4Dmqr.jpg

I think it might say "Pedro" on the license frame at lower right :previous: but I can't see if it says "San" on the other side of the frame.


.

e_r, your wish is my command:

https://i.postimg.cc/L8jWvf54/Kaiser...-1951-1-16.jpg
LA Times, 1/16/1951.


https://i.postimg.cc/VkPGS6Rx/K-F-So-Pac.jpg
gsv, 2008.

ScottyB Sep 25, 2021 5:35 AM

amateur forensics
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9405769)
.
Interesting theory,odinthor. I'll have to get out my trusty ruler and see where it leads.





Here is a remarkable photograph recently posted on eBay.



It shows an Asian-American posed by an open air barber shop & cigar store in downtown Los Angeles.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/v2WsKr.jpg
eBay

The photographer (in white lettering, above) was Coules' Palace Studio..351 S. Broadway..Los Angeles






The reverse is quite mysterious.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/JSpl1p.jpg

I hope that's shaving cream stains. :yuck:


In the scribbles, I believe I see. .308 N. Main St. . .and at upper right, Los Angeles, California. .and. .United States. .cigar store . .barber shop.


Lower right "Bath" (odd), "Laundry Agency"
on the left it looks like maybe "Japan" and, vertically, "Jack" something. (Maguire?). Best I can do.
Also- in the upper left of the photo it says "BARVA 15c" and "PELO 25c" which I believe is Spanish for haircut/coloring. Bright purple probably not an option.
Really cool photo!

odinthor Sep 25, 2021 8:57 PM

:previous:

Hmmmm. 308 N. Main. Hmmmmmmmm...

https://i.postimg.cc/KzKhL3mD/Hargitt1-CD-1887-88.jpg
1887-1888 CD

Young Mr. Hargitt started out so promisingly:

https://i.postimg.cc/TwZMc2wM/Hargit...-1874-1-28.jpg
LA Herald, 1/28/1874.

But

https://i.postimg.cc/L5LdQdYq/Hargit...-1893-9-29.jpg
LA Times, 9/29/1893.

...which might explain why the Asian-American man wanted a photo in front of the place where he perhaps anticipated protection against deportation.

But our Chris Hargitt, tsk tsk tsk . . .

https://i.postimg.cc/hPRRzG6V/Hargit...-1894-2-16.jpg
LA Herald, 2/16/1894.

And he had other infractions which I'll spare you.

ethereal_reality Sep 26, 2021 6:40 PM

.
:previous: Interesting info. odinthor.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyB (Post 9406989)
Lower right "Bath" (odd), "Laundry Agency"
on the left it looks like maybe "Japan" and, vertically, "Jack" something. (Maguire?). Best I can do.
Also- in the upper left of the photo it says "BARVA 15c" and "PELO 25c" which I believe is Spanish for haircut/coloring. Bright purple probably not an option.
Really cool photo!

Thanks for deciphering the scribbles, ScottyB. There's much more information on the back than I realized!


.

ethereal_reality Sep 26, 2021 7:01 PM

.

Here is a RPPC of 1032 South Oxford Avenue, Los Angeles Calif.... (1914)


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/egg4Dj.jpg
eBay




And the reverse.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/nr96y9.jpg


.

ethereal_reality Sep 26, 2021 7:08 PM

.
Rare car and mystery location.

1967 Kodachrome Slide, Los Angeles CA

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/Vl2Rxh.jpg
eBay

Does anyone recognized the fancy schmancy car?

The seller names the car but I'm curious to see if anyone here recognizes it. (I had never heard of it before)



All times are GMT. The time now is 4:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.