SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

hollywoodcory Oct 1, 2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 8703341)
Effective Nov 1, both AC one-stop routes no longer originate from YYZ.

AC33 will become YVR-SYD
AC834 will become YUL-GVA

The YYZ segment will use a different flight number, same equipment.

Hopefully the same will happen with AC9/10.

begratto Oct 1, 2019 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 8703354)
About time, I know a lot of gate agents at YUL that will be glad thats over.

Why? What difference does it make to the gate agents if the flight originated in another city? Just curious.

rbt Oct 1, 2019 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begratto (Post 8703480)
Why? What difference does it make to the gate agents if the flight originated in another city? Just curious.

Seat arrangements, due to the booking system requiring the same seat be used for both legs of the flight, were a common complaint.

For example, to get 2 adjacent seats for YYZ->SYD, they needed to be available for YYZ->YVR and YVR->SYD. Ticketed seat changes mid-way were not permitted (although re-arranging after boarding was often done).

Upgrades were the same. Seat 2A (business class) may be available for upgrades from YYZ->YVR and seat 3A available from YVR->SYD, but as a YYZ->SYD passenger you couldn't receive an upgrade despite being a top-tier member. Buying the tickets on the exact same flights as a connection rather than direct would have been upgraded (with a seat change mid-way).

I can see gate agents getting a fair number of complaints over those kinds of quirks.

thenoflyzone Oct 1, 2019 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 8703378)
I never really understood that.

Just the prestige factor of having certain flights direct (but not non-stop) from YYZ?

I guess.

Right now, GTAA has Geneva and Sydney listed as destinations. That will no longer be the case come November 1.

They will also lose - same plane same flight number - service to a whole continent, as they go from a 6 continent airport to a 5 continent airport.

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/airlines

begratto Oct 1, 2019 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbt (Post 8703515)
Seat arrangements, due to the booking system requiring the same seat be used for both legs of the flight, were a common complaint.

For example, to get 2 adjacent seats for YYZ->SYD, they needed to be available for YYZ->YVR and YVR->SYD. Ticketed seat changes mid-way were not permitted (although re-arranging after boarding was often done).

Upgrades were the same. Seat 2A (business class) may be available for upgrades from YYZ->YVR and seat 3A available from YVR->SYD, but as a YYZ->SYD passenger you couldn't receive an upgrade despite being a top-tier member. Buying the tickets on the exact same flights as a connection rather than direct would have been upgraded (with a seat change mid-way).

I can see gate agents getting a fair number of complaints over those kinds of quirks.

Interesting. Thanks.

Dominion301 Oct 1, 2019 6:56 PM

TS announce seasonal YUL-CPH starting in 2020.

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...nd-copenhagen/

2x weekly on the 321LR.

thenoflyzone Oct 1, 2019 11:32 PM

YVR August 2019

Total: 2,681,698 -1.2%

Domestic 1,282,643 -1.2%
Transborder 651,410 +0.2%
Asia Pac 435,325 -2.5%
Misc 51,344 -8.7%
Europe 260,976 -1.1%

Total international incl. transborder 1,399,055 -1.2%

YTD total: 17,991,557 +1.5%

thenoflyzone Oct 1, 2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8703892)
TS announce seasonal YUL-CPH starting in 2020.

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...nd-copenhagen/

2x weekly on the 321LR.

Great add. TS needs to find niche markets in Europe where AC doesn't (yet) compete. Then again, they will soon be one and the same, so does it really matter? Probably not. Great add nonetheless. YUL is up to 155 destinations now.

thenoflyzone Oct 2, 2019 1:54 PM

August 2019 numbers for Canada's busiest airports:

YYZ N/A
YVR 2,681,698 -1.2%
YUL 2,140,637 +2,6%
YYC 1,796,993 +0,8%
YEG 730,598 -7.1%
YOW 466,899 -2.9%

YTD numbers (til August, unless otherwise noted)

YYZ 29,367,106 +2.6% (til July)
YVR 17,991,557 +1.5%
YUL 13,920,038 +4,8%
YYC 12,146,658 +3,6%
YEG 5,221,399 -1.2%
YOW 3,477,993 +1.1%

Dominion301 Oct 2, 2019 6:53 PM

ET eyes expanded service to Canada, including more YYZ and new YUL: https://news.paxeditions.com/news/ai...opian-airlines

Quote:

Ethiopian Airlines is looking to increase its Toronto service to daily flights and introduce a new route to Montreal, PAX has learned.

whywhyzee Oct 3, 2019 5:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8705039)
ET eyes expanded service to Canada, including more YYZ and new YUL: https://news.paxeditions.com/news/ai...opian-airlines


Exciting to see them seemingly finding success in the Canadian marketplace. ET will be upgrading to the A359 on the YYZ service on the 26th of October and onwards (as per booking engine) so that's a great sign that the route is quite strong. Daily would be a great addition, and adding another port like Montreal with a huge local African population sounds like a recipe for success.

I think the way forward right now is with service to countries that are developing markets. There aren't many blue chip markets currently left untapped from Eastern Canada especially, this is a good chance to lay the groundwork for future strength as connecting and O/D pax will presumably see strong growth year over year.

thenoflyzone Oct 3, 2019 12:05 PM

Never would have thought that ET would be interested in serving YUL.

For one, Quebec doesn't have a significant Ethiopian population. Most of that is centered around Toronto and Ottawa. YUL's African demand is mostly centered around North Africa and some western African french-speaking nations. ADD isn't well placed to serve those markets.

They are probably targeting the Canadian point of sale safari tourist crowd, and to a certain extent connecting traffic to stong O&D markets from YUL to places like CAI, BEY, TLV.

NewIreland Oct 3, 2019 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8705847)
Never would have thought that ET would be interested in serving YUL.

For one, Quebec doesn't have a significant Ethiopian population. Most of that is centered around Toronto and Ottawa. YUL's African demand is mostly centered around North Africa and some western African french-speaking nations. ADD isn't well placed to serve those markets.

They are probably targeting the Canadian point of sale safari tourist crowd, and to a certain extent connecting traffic to stong O&D markets from YUL to places like CAI, BEY, TLV.

ET offers great service to SEZ too. I've flown that route a few times. Awesome service, and AABIA is a nice airport.

hollywoodcory Oct 3, 2019 9:47 PM

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-10...ithin-our-home

WestJet will be opening their first flagship lounge in 2020 in the domestic terminal of YYC.

q12 Oct 4, 2019 4:50 PM

Daily Air Canada Boeing 777-300ER service for almost a month between Halifax and Toronto over the holidays.

Quote:

Air Canada adds 777-300ER Halifax service in Dec 2019/Jan 2020
By Jim Liu

Posted 19 September 2019 09:00

Air Canada during Christmas and New Year season plans operational aircraft changes for Toronto – Halifax route, with the assignment of Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. The 777-300ER will operate this route as AC614/619, from 14DEC19 to 08JAN20.

AC614 YYZ1435 – 1737YHZ 77W D
AC619 YHZ1925 – 2103YYZ 77W D
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-2019jan-2020/

thenoflyzone Oct 14, 2019 2:45 PM

After announcing YUL-MSY and YUL-CPH, Transat has now loaded YUL-SAN in their booking system. 3x weekly service, starting June 15, 2020.

MSY, which was announced as winter seasonal, is going year round, before it has even started.

New routes for YUL in the coming months:

YUL-MSY, November 3, 2019
YUL-GRU, December 11, 2019
YUL-SEA, May 4, 2020
YUL-BOG, June 2, 2020
YUL-SAN, June 15, 2020
YUL-CPH, June 16, 2020

Existing destinations with added frequency:

YUL-HAV, Sunwing Airlines, resumes December 13, 2019
YUL-BRU, Brussels Airlines, launches March 29, 2020
YUL-TLS New AC mainline route, launches June 4, 2020

YUL-LYS/MRS/TLV are getting additional frequencies as well next summer.

The addition of SAN brings the total destinations to 156, assuming LIM stays.

whywhyzee Oct 14, 2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8716587)
After announcing YUL-MSY and YUL-CPH, Transat has now loaded YUL-SAN in their booking system. 3x weekly service, starting June 15, 2020.

MSY, which was announced as winter seasonal, is going year round, before it has even started.

New routes for YUL in the coming months:

YUL-MSY, November 3, 2019
YUL-GRU, December 11, 2019
YUL-SEA, May 4, 2020
YUL-BOG, June 2, 2020
YUL-SAN, June 15, 2020
YUL-CPH, June 16, 2020

Existing destinations with added frequency:

YUL-HAV, Sunwing Airlines, resumes December 13, 2019
YUL-BRU, Brussels Airlines, launches March 29, 2020
YUL-TLS New AC mainline route, launches June 4, 2020

YUL-LYS/MRS/TLV are getting additional frequencies as well next summer.

The addition of SAN brings the total destinations to 156, assuming LIM stays.

It has been reported in here that LIM is cancelled.

thenoflyzone Oct 15, 2019 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whywhyzee (Post 8717027)
It has been reported in here that LIM is cancelled.

I know. There is still a chance it goes winter seasonal. Winter 2020/2021 schedules aren’t loaded yet. We’ll know for sure when that happens, in a few weeks time.

nname Oct 15, 2019 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8716587)
After announcing YUL-MSY and YUL-CPH, Transat has now loaded YUL-SAN in their booking system. 3x weekly service, starting June 15, 2020.

The plane sits at SAN for 13.5 hr twice a week, and once it got back to YUL at 1915 next day, it's slightly too late for the evening domestic flights. Definitely not a good use of plane by the look of it. I wonder if a 2x weekly SAN-YVR or SAN-YYZ is also coming...

thenoflyzone Oct 15, 2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 8717176)
The plane sits at SAN for 13.5 hr twice a week, and once it got back to YUL at 1915 next day, it's slightly too late for the evening domestic flights. Definitely not a good use of plane by the look of it. I wonder if a 2x weekly SAN-YVR or SAN-YYZ is also coming...

Those two weekly flights seem timed to connect with the European flights in/out of YUL. Perhaps AC’s 6th freedom strategy from the US to Europe is rubbing off on TS.

Transat B737s rarely do redeyes (1 YVR-YYZ i think, that’s it), meaning most of them overnight somewhere. It doesn't make much of a difference if the plane overnights somewhere in Canada or San Diego. If a long layover will enable the plane to be full on both inbound and outbound flights, then it might not be such a bad strategy.

Ironically, that 3rd weekly return flight is a redeye, albeit with the A321. Seems they dont want the airbus to layover that long in SAN.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ervice-in-s20/

Quote:

Air Transat in summer 2020 season is introducing Montreal – San Diego seasonal service, on board Boeing 737-800 aircraft. The airline will operate this route three times weekly from 15JUN20.

TS194 YUL1845 – 2140SAN 73H 1
TS196 YUL1845 – 2140SAN 73H 3
TS198 YUL1900 – 2155SAN 321 7

TS195 SAN1110 – 1915YUL 73H 2
TS197 SAN1110 – 1915YUL 73H 4
TS199 SAN2255 – 0700+1YUL 321 7


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.