SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Who did you vote for? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240738)

vid Oct 21, 2019 4:09 AM

Who did you vote for?

As a follow up to the "Who will you vote for" poll, now that it's election day (and advance voting has happened), I thought it would be interesting to see who people here actually voted for, and how that compares to the national average. Please, answer truthfully! It's an anonymous poll!

Also, please note that I skillfully matched the poll bar colours with the political party colours as closely as possible—an SSP first!

milomilo Oct 21, 2019 4:26 AM

Voted green last week. Would have voted liberal, were it not for their outright lie about scrapping FPTP. Hopefully Scheer gets the boot pronto and the conservatives think long and hard about whether they want to be grown ups before the next election.

Rollerstud98 Oct 21, 2019 4:29 AM

Blake Richards, incumbent for the Conservatives in my riding. Probably will come away with 65% of the vote mainly in the 2 larger population centres of the riding. Greens and NDP get more votes over in Banff and Canmore.

Greens did not even put up any signs here in Airdrie, saw 1 NDP sign on public space and that was it for those 2. No Liberal signs on private properties. Lots for Blake Richards and a fair few for the PPC candidate as well.

SpongeG Oct 21, 2019 5:57 AM

I voted two weeks ago before I came up north for work. Liberal party, not my usual choice but...

CityTech Oct 21, 2019 5:57 AM

Voted NDP as a strategic choice in Ottawa Centre. Fairly likely Liberal hold, with a possible NDP gain. I want a minority government (not impressed enough with either Trudeau or Scheer to be ok with either having a majority), so from a strategic point of view helping some inner city ridings flip from Liberal to NDP will help with that goal.

In terms of my preferred choice for Prime Minister, still undecided between Trudeau and Scheer. But no need to make a choice given what I did :)

Bcasey25raptor Oct 21, 2019 9:05 AM

New Democratic Party. I want to see the liberal party eventually destroyed or pushed to permanent 3rd party status.

AuxTown Oct 21, 2019 12:01 PM

Not much choice here in Kanata-Carleton. It was either the bankrupt nazi dressmaker, the idiotic pseudoscientist "MD" green candidate, or the incumbent military veteran/mediator/reasonable human.

lio45 Oct 21, 2019 12:45 PM

Turns out I "wasted" my vote by not registering to vote in the much more competitive riding where I mostly live now. (Sherbrooke instead of Bécancour.) The Bloc looks to be in a position to finally take the riding back from our Layton Wave teenager (well he's in his twenties now, but I still like to call him that).

I have addresses (and can honestly claim to spend actual living time) in multiple ridings so I can more or less pick and choose where to cast my one vote. :)

ericmacm Oct 21, 2019 12:47 PM

Right now in Windsor West, the Liberals are in a dead heat with the NDP. The NDP have held this riding for almost 20 years with the same MP, and quite frankly, there's not too much to show for it since it was an easy win for a long time. A lot of people, including myself, are voting Liberal for better representation for Windsor at the federal level (provided that the Liberals remain dominant), hoping that things will change a bit.

However, our Liberal candidate recently made the news for photographing her own filled-out ballot and posting it on Twitter, which has definitely changed some minds about voting for her.

lio45 Oct 21, 2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityTech (Post 8723576)
In terms of my preferred choice for Prime Minister, still undecided between Trudeau and Scheer. But no need to make a choice given what I did :)

For a four-year blank check, I'd prefer "known quantity" Trudeau, but if kept in check, I think I prefer to give Scheer a chance.

So, given that it's going to be a minority, my not very enthusiastic "preferred choice" would be Scheer.

wave46 Oct 21, 2019 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 8723669)
The Bloc looks to be in a position to finally take the riding back from our Layton Wave teenager (well he's in his twenties now, but I still like to call him that).

Think of all the lucky members of the NDP's Quebec caucus (read: part of NDP club at McGill) who fell ass-backwards into a fully funded pension just by being part of a freak aberration in politics.

VANRIDERFAN Oct 21, 2019 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityTech (Post 8723576)
Voted NDP as a strategic choice in Ottawa Centre. Fairly likely Liberal hold, with a possible NDP gain. I want a minority government (not impressed enough with either Trudeau or Scheer to be ok with either having a majority), so from a strategic point of view helping some inner city ridings flip from Liberal to NDP will help with that goal.

:previous:

Trudeau and his PMO's actions towards VAdm Norman, JWR, and Philpott are representative of a group who are devoid of ethics.

The current Conservative Party needs to change their ways of doing business. I'm not enamoured with Scheer at all.

Hoping for a minority government that limits the power of the PM and PMO. A return to cabinet government with strong back bench participation/representation in committee work.

MonctonRad Oct 21, 2019 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmacm (Post 8723672)
However, our Liberal candidate recently made the news for photographing her own filled-out ballot and posting it on Twitter, which has definitely changed some minds about voting for her.

Isn't that illegal??? :haha:

Dengler Avenue Oct 21, 2019 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 8723693)

It is...

MonctonRad Oct 21, 2019 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 8723688)
Hoping for a minority government that limits the power of the PM and PMO. A return to cabinet government with strong back bench participation/representation in committee work.

That sounds ideal! :tup:

Unfortunately we now have an "executive" Prime Ministership, and the PMO has become Canada's version of the West Wing.

The cabinet now most definitely plays second fiddle to the PMO. :(

kwoldtimer Oct 21, 2019 1:23 PM

I'm not sure I see any link between majority/minority government and the power of the PMO. Nor do I see any difference between the Liberals and the Conservatives in this regard. :shrug:

flar Oct 21, 2019 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 8723698)
That sounds ideal! :tup:

Unfortunately we now have an "executive" Prime Ministership, and the PMO has become Canada's version of the West Wing.

The cabinet now most definitely plays second fiddle to the PMO. :(

Trudeau barely does anything, the cabinet has far more decision-making power than under Harper.

Acajack Oct 21, 2019 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 8723706)
I'm not sure I see any link between majority/minority government and the power of the PMO. Nor do I see any difference between the Liberals and the Conservatives in this regard. :shrug:

I tend to agree with this. Under the Harper minority the PMO was extremely powerful.

ericmacm Oct 21, 2019 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 8723693)

It's absolutely illegal.

Funny enough, the bigger news outlets of the local media did not report on it at all, I found out about it on CBC. Seems like there is some shady stuff going on with the Windsor media and they were willing to look the other way, shows how important a Liberal win would be in Windsor.

Acajack Oct 21, 2019 2:01 PM

In fairness to that candidate she probably did not know it was illegal to do that. And yes, I know that ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.

But it's a fairly obscure provision of electoral law just the same. Deserving of a wrist slap for sure but no big scandal there IMO.