SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

City Wide Mar 20, 2018 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milksteak (Post 8125948)
I don't think his bid to build on Independence Mall was meant to be taken seriously either :)

Besides, we all know they should build a floating stadium on the Delaware.

Well, the stadium proposal could go where all big ideas go to die, build the stadium over the tracks at 30th St. Station (along side of the Phillies park, the remains of the worlds fair, a basketball arena, the site of the bi-centennial party, Amazons new HQ2, and others)

And no, this is not a serious suggestion, where building it on the Mall, well-------that might be a different matter, especially if a certain hamburger chain was included.

allovertown Mar 20, 2018 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimshady (Post 8125318)
I think people are underestimating how a stadium could negatively affect the community. As a student at the University of Pittsburgh I am used to traveling to Heinz Field for games. Pitt gets school busses to get some students there but most people take public transit. That's a bus and Pittsburgh's excuse for a subway, 2 seats but it works fine. Temple students get a direct one seat ride to the stadium.

I am glad it as Heinz Field, as I am glad Temple games are at the Linc. As much as I love tailgating I would not want to have that in my backyard, especially if I'm not a student. Thousands of drunk college students on a Saturday morning will be a huge nussiance to the neighbors who already have to deal with it during Friday and Saturday night.

I understand Temple's need to grow out of the commuter school that is currently happening but I do not think a stadium is the best way to do so. The playground there is heavily used by local residents that will lose there green space which in an area as urban as North Philadelphia is highly sought after. Especially when that one is well lit by Temple and parks and basketball courts nearby may be in worse condition and less safe sections.

The only way that this stadium can be successful and I hope its not built is if there is huge community involvement and that the community can use it whenever they please. I really don't understand why the Eagles can be allowed to charge so much if the City of Philadelphia owns it and it received state subsidies to build and Temple is a state school. There are plenty of other things that Temple can do to grow and create a campus feel (although its a city not a campus in the middle of nowhere so I'm not sure why they want this "campus" feel) without a stadium that will displace people, such as housing or educational buildings.

The Steelers are much more conciliatory towards Pitt and gave them a sweetheart deal. I wish the Eagles would behave similarily.

Mr Saturn64 Mar 20, 2018 3:07 PM

It may also be worth noting, for the Temple discussion, that while things may be different now, the Phillies played in North Philadelphia up until the early 1970s.

diavolo Mar 20, 2018 4:52 PM

Fairmount Park Welcome Center

From 3/19/2018: there's a flying saucer in LOVE Park!

https://i.imgur.com/28AwOim.jpg?1

The outer walls of the Fairmount Park Welcome Center have been removed.

Per this article, renovations should be completed this fall:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...elcome-center/

Knight Hospitaller Mar 20, 2018 4:57 PM

^ A better shot than I was going to post just now. I caught a glimpse just as the traffic light was going green, so my quick shot was a bit blurry.

Kidphilly Mar 20, 2018 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamrobk (Post 8125199)
I'm not a fan of Temple building its own stadium because I believe that an additional football stadium is a complete waste of land and resources. I'm a fan of urban stadiums generally (particularly those which receive heavy usage such as for soccer or baseball), but there's a time and a place for them... and a football stadium in the middle of North Philadelphia is not it, IMO. What we'd end up with is another massive stadium sitting unused for the vast majority of the year, and the Linc additionally going unused for at least several more Saturdays. That said, the Eagles should offer Temple a better deal rather than hiking up the rent on them so much like they've allegedly been doing.

As to whether it will happen, the last coverage I read made it sound like Clarke was against it, and I think if he's against it, it won't happen. But that's complete speculation.

the better opportunity was missed when they built the Chester soccer stadium

PA money would have been invested in building a combo football/soccer stadium on North broad benefit to the city, temple and better for activation

My issue they say 8 uses per year, not good enough for the spend and impact

I have a rental property three blocks and if built actually believe it would be a benefit but looking at this from the big picture I say no

Temple should play 5-6 of their games at franklin field and the larger ones at the Linc

I actually think more comingling of Temple with Penn and Drexel would be a good thing anyway

that lot would benefit from something dare I say it like the Pizza in no libs but feel like it would work on Temple also connect the pedestrian way on berks

give Temple a student destination that is retained more students to actual bars on campus would spread and up Cecil b moore

I would make it mixed use, a dorm, private apts, ground retail/bars/restaurants and also maybe some classes to keep it active

could also be an event location in any piazza form

also would try to have some fields/grounds on top of some of the buildings

Urbanthusiat Mar 20, 2018 7:52 PM

Long-hidden Frank Furness building will be renovated in West Philly

Quote:

Developer U3 Ventures plans to restore a three-story building at 40th and Ludlow Streets designed in the 1870s by architect Frank Furness that’s been hidden for decades behind metal panels affixed to its facade.

U3 plans to spend as much as $5 million to renovate the historic building at 22 S. 40th St., which was built to serve as one of Philadelphia’s neighborhood “institutes” that were precursors to the city’s free libraries, company president Tom Lussenhop said.

U3 purchased the 15,000-square-foot building for $2.5 million last year from the Elwyn organization, a social service provider. Other past users have included the Philadelphia Electric Power Co.

The developer has begun seeking office and retail tenants to occupy the building after the completion of renovations, which are scheduled to begin in July and take less than a year.
https://i.imgur.com/THfOb2H.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JQqLE3z.jpg

From: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...html?mobi=true

MyDadBuiltThat Mar 20, 2018 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 (Post 8125735)
My take on the stadium: I see plenty of pros and cons to either side.

One con that hasn't been brought up was a few years ago when Temple was really good, they sold out the Linc for the Penn State and Notre Dame games. I was at the Notre Dame game (ND fan here), and there were easily more ND fans than Temple. If they built a stadium with a capacity 35-40,000, that wouldn't be enough for the Penn State and Notre Dame crowds, should either of those teams come back. For that, they may as well go back to the Linc.

On the plus side, having your own stadium does bring a sense of identity to the team, and the school by extension. How many times has Temple played with the Eagles logo in the endzone? Unless a popular team is there (see above), it seems like no one goes to the games. It would be good for them to have a place for school spirit for these games.

Will it get built? Yeah, probably. Should it? That's a different question.

Sell outs at the Linc have never been a problem for UConn games. It's kind of sad to see the enthusiasm of 30,000+ Temple fans (and a few 100 UConn fans) lost in a stadium the size of the Linc. I doubt other AAC games are better. A smaller stadium would fill up and create a great game day environment.

iheartphilly Mar 20, 2018 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat (Post 8126503)

Such a good find from u3 and a regal-looking building if they do it right and it is true to the render. Adding the big windows is a must and white is nice.

Urbanthusiat Mar 20, 2018 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartphilly (Post 8126586)
Such a good find from u3 and a regal-looking building if they do it right and it is true to the render. Adding the big windows is a must and white is nice.

Yeah. I walk by the spot 3 times a week and this block of 40th is pretty rough. Glad to see this. I believe U3 is also planning on developing the northwest corner of 40th and Chestnut as well. They have a demo permit for the building across from the Hub/Distrito. This area gets a lot of traffic from Penn students.

Urbanthusiat Mar 20, 2018 9:52 PM

Little pushback for 165-unit building proposal on 4400 block of Chestnut

Quote:

Developers formally presented an apartment building project on Monday night to the Spruce Hill Community Association that will profoundly reshape the 4400 blocks of Chestnut and Ludlow Streets.

The Orens Brothers Real Estate is proposing a pair of buildings on the two blocks that would require the demolition of several properties, including the building at 4415 Chestnut that houses the company’s headquarters and the popular Fit Gym that they operate. The plan would include two six-story buildings housing 165 residential units and ground floor commercial space along the 4400 block of Ludlow and Chestnut Streets.
https://i.imgur.com/ImpVdMY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SRzKggW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/a2NhqwX.jpg

More: http://www.westphillylocal.com/2018/...k-of-chestnut/

SEFTA Mar 20, 2018 10:12 PM

Can these be uglier?

shadowbat2 Mar 20, 2018 10:52 PM

^^^
I literally said those *very words* out loud when I was scrolling down....

Urbanthusiat Mar 20, 2018 10:58 PM

In West Philly? Yeah it could certainly be uglier.

CCGuy Mar 21, 2018 1:37 AM

Temple Football stadium- I thought I read that Temple would open their new stadium to local High School games. So the stadium would get more use and also serve the Naiborhood.

hammersklavier Mar 21, 2018 2:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamrobk (Post 8125199)
As to whether it will happen, the last coverage I read made it sound like Clarke was against it, and I think if he's against it, it won't happen. But that's complete speculation.

Knowing how Clarke operates, the subtext here is pretty obvious: Temple hasn't bribed him enough yet.

McBane Mar 21, 2018 1:59 PM

No, I think it's just typical lazy governing. He just deferred his decision to the community. Once they're on board (which they never will), he'll support it. Happens all too often.

iheartphilly Mar 21, 2018 3:00 PM

^
Caves in to his constituents. That's how you go unchallenged.

McBane Mar 21, 2018 3:32 PM

It's one thing to represent the interests of your constituents. But it's another thing to do so without any allegiance to the greater good of the entire city. Now, I'm not saying that the city will be better overall with this stadium than without it. But too often projects come down to community support. No one asks - what's the economic benefit to the city? How much revenue will such and such project produce? What's the indirect economic impact? For example, when the community demands a shorter residential tower, who is analyzing the financial hit the city will take when the project yields 100 units instead of 125?

Frontst17 Mar 21, 2018 4:30 PM

Its his literal job to represent his constituents. The problem comes when he tells his constituents what to think. Hence, "The city and Temple are out to get you, don't worry though I'll save you"