SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basketball in Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219504)

EspionNoir Jun 11, 2019 3:47 AM

Ah it’s getting intense

logan5 Jun 11, 2019 3:49 AM

Durant likely won't be back for game 6 or 7, and that's obviously good for the Raptors, but the Toronto crowd cheering his injury? That's bad Karma...

GeneralLeeTPHLS Jun 11, 2019 3:51 AM

Fuck, that was such a close game at the end....yea, cheering about an injury, no matter how it impacts a game, shouldn't be condoned.

MonkeyRonin Jun 11, 2019 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 8601555)
Durant likely won't be back for game 6 or 7, and that's obviously good for the Raptors, but the Toronto crowd cheering his injury? That's bad Karma...

Were they cheering his injury or the fact that Ibaka got the steal & a bucket? The arena was clapping and chanting "KD" as he left - which felt more like a sign of respect than of mockery, IMO.

rousseau Jun 11, 2019 3:54 AM

I was actually worried about how the crowd might react to KD's injury, as Toronto fans aren't known for being all that classy, but thankfully they handled it with the maximum degree of grace and respect the player and the moment deserved.

rousseau Jun 11, 2019 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 8601555)
...but the Toronto crowd cheering his injury? That's bad Karma...

Uh, what game were you watching? Nobody cheered the injury. On the contrary, the crowd treated KD with respect.

suburbanite Jun 11, 2019 4:06 AM

People were cheering when KD stood up, but it heightened when he limped the first time. People were laughing and waving goodbye to him. Not a good look for the fans and they are getting lit up on social media.

logan5 Jun 11, 2019 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 8601561)
Uh, what game were you watching? Nobody cheered the injury. On the contrary, the crowd treated KD with respect.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1138262996398903297

https://twitter.com/i/status/1138262692710559745

Uh, no.

rousseau Jun 11, 2019 4:30 AM

I just went and rewatched the sequence on League Pass. The crowd was cheering the breakaway by Ibaka and the subsequent foul on him while KD was sitting on the floor. When KD got up there was a slight uptick in crowd noise for just a moment, which is hard to interpret (to me it sounded like applause for him being able to get up, you often hear this when a player is down for a while but then gets up), but whatever that was, it turned into polite clapping as he walked off the court.

That's not "Toronto cheering KD's injury" by any stretch of the imagination.

hipster duck Jun 11, 2019 11:36 AM

That was the best the Warriors played and the worst the Raptors played, and we still lost by just 1 point. The first 3 quarters felt like they were playing one of those throwaway games against the Sixers or the Bucks; they kept missing threes, they didn’t have that aggressive defense. Kyle Lowry barely fouled! We had an excellent second half to the fourth quarter but it wasn’t enough.

Acajack Jun 11, 2019 1:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 8601583)
I just went and rewatched the sequence on League Pass. The crowd was cheering the breakaway by Ibaka and the subsequent foul on him while KD was sitting on the floor. When KD got up there was a slight uptick in crowd noise for just a moment, which is hard to interpret (to me it sounded like applause for him being able to get up, you often hear this when a player is down for a while but then gets up), but whatever that was, it turned into polite clapping as he walked off the court.

That's not "Toronto cheering KD's injury" by any stretch of the imagination.

I really don't know how you can say that so conclusively.

Guess this is Rousseau the Raptors Fan-atic talking as opposed to Rousseau the Socratic Critical Thinker. ;)

I assume we will get back to our regularly scheduled programming with the latter once this series is over!

suburbanite Jun 11, 2019 1:45 PM

Ya I'm not defending our fans for this one.

https://streamable.com/om38r

Two guys front and center waving bye to player that might have just had the future of his career seriously jeopardized.

Watching this is pretty clear this was not a sincere cheer until after the Raptors players had to engage to crowd to not be assholes.

TorontoDrew Jun 11, 2019 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8601570)
People were cheering when KD stood up, but it heightened when he limped the first time. People were laughing and waving goodbye to him. Not a good look for the fans and they are getting lit up on social media.

Agreed not good, but lets be honest. Sadly that would have happened anywhere. I was mad watching it and yelling at the fans from the T.V even though deep down I was happy.

TorontoDrew Jun 11, 2019 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 8601674)
That was the best the Warriors played and the worst the Raptors played, and we still lost by just 1 point.

I agree, I think that was the worst performance of the entire playoffs for the Raptors. But still we only lost by 1. At least the GS fans will get a very final game back at Oracle Arena.

Acajack Jun 11, 2019 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8601751)
Agreed not good, but lets be honest. Sadly that would have happened anywhere. .

Totally agree. It could have happened anywhere.

Pointing the finger at other teams' fans ("look how they're bad people!") is simply part of the game of sports rivalries, and not really based on anything factual.

(Except in the case of Boston Bruins fans.)

Doady Jun 11, 2019 7:26 PM

I think the fans can be forgiven for not realizing Durant had just suffered a catastrophic injury from no contact with any other player a few minutes into his first game back right after the Warriors and their doctors had said it was okay for him to play. If anyone looks bad, it's the Warriors organization.

rousseau Jun 11, 2019 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8601720)
I really don't know how you can say that so conclusively.

What a courtside person says is what I saw on TV:

Quote:

"I was at the game last night and I was cheering for the steal and the fastbreak opportunity (as were most people around me). I didn't even realize KD was seriously hurt until he was being helped off the court. A lot of people in my section were giving him a standing ovation and chanting KD as he left the court. I'm sure there were some bad apples, as there are in every arena, but lost in all this was that Raps fans were already on their feet cheering before KD left the court because the Raps got a steal."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...eserves-blame/
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8601720)
Guess this is Rousseau the Raptors Fan-atic talking as opposed to Rousseau the Socratic Critical Thinker. ;)

Guilty as charged. For the former, anyway.

suburbanite Jun 11, 2019 7:43 PM

What about the fans chanting "Fuck KD" in Jurassic Park after he limped off?

Or the two guys who sucker punched this Warriors fan on Bremner?

Video Link

These big moments always bring out some real ugly antics. Still don't know if things would go full Vancouver if they lost in game 7 but I know it wouldn't be pretty.

rousseau Jun 11, 2019 7:44 PM

Cathal Kelly's take in the G&M: KD's re-injury and the shameful way Golden State pushed/allowed him to play is probably the best recruiting pitch Kawhi is going to see for staying in Toronto.

Load management for the win.

TorontoDrew Jun 11, 2019 7:47 PM

Never thought of it that way.