SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Nov 18, 2007 11:07 PM

I like how the map reads "future library".

keg92101 Nov 19, 2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3175914)
I like how the map reads "future library".

I wonder when some one is going to have the political will to scratch the current design and hold an international competion, with the budget as part of the RFQ/P. I've been looking at other "new library facilities" around the country, and our design SUCKS comparitively. Check out Renzo Piano's Morgan Library, or Dattner's Bronx Library Center. The dome is so Balboa Park. If this is going to be a library for the 21st century (or 22nd century at the current pace!), it should be designed as such.

sandiegodweller Nov 19, 2007 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3175903)
Hey Debbie Downer, check the link below. A market is already pending...

http://burnhamrealestate.com/urbanre...il%20Flyer.pdf

Sorry for actually putting some thought into how a real retailer thinks. Aren't you in the real estate development business? Are you one of the "yes" men who pumped this area full of overpriced housing based on incredibly bad land buys?

We'll see who's name is actually on the lease if it happens. Tesco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Henry's, even One World Market would take space along Market (in the Mark?) where people could actually find them.

I am not saying that someone can't do an independent market but this tells me that someone is going to try an upscale liquor store, a nicer version of the old Gaslamp Liquor maybe. The problem will be getting a wholesale license to sell liquor.

Tell me one large retailer that decides to hide from their customers along a back street.

keg92101 Nov 19, 2007 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3176102)
Sorry for actually putting some thought into how a real retailer thinks. Aren't you in the real estate development business? Are you one of the "yes" men who pumped this area full of overpriced housing based on incredibly bad land buys?

We'll see who's name is actually on the lease if it happens. Tesco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Henry's, even One World Market would take space along Market (in the Mark?) where people could actually find them.

I am not saying that someone can't do an independent market but this tells me that someone is going to try an upscale liquor store, a nicer version of the old Gaslamp Liquor maybe. The problem will be getting a wholesale license to sell liquor.

Tell me one large retailer that decides to hide from their customers along a back street.

No I am not in the RE Dev Business, fortunately. And no, I was not part of the broker team that sent land prices beyond feasablity. I actually work in the Construction Mgt. Business, but live in the E.V.

As for the market, I've heard rumors that it is Wal-Mart's new prototype in response to Tesco's "Fresh and Easy", and all the market share they are losing to Trader Joes. Also, How is J street a "back street"?

sandiegodweller Nov 19, 2007 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3176141)
No I am not in the RE Dev Business, fortunately. And no, I was not part of the broker team that sent land prices beyond feasibility. I actually work in the Construction Mgt. Business, but live in the E.V.

As for the market, I've heard rumors that it is Wal-Mart's new prototype in response to Tesco's "Fresh and Easy", and all the market share they are losing to Trader Joes. Also, How is J street a "back street"?

If that is true, I hope it happens. Are they starting another chain? We looked at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market for a site in North County. I am questioning this rumor because even the new concept was 40,000+ sf. Also, it needs to have other Wal-Marts in the vicinity to be able to piggyback the distribution. The nearest WalMart to downtown in College Grove, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mar...borhood_Market

J Street is definitely a backstreet. So is Island. The 1- mile demographics for J Street would be killed by the 20+ acre open space (PetCo Park and tailgate park). It also has Albertson's, Longs Drugs, Two 7-11's, Star Market and the new proposed Rite Aid to compete with.

The smart site would have been the Pep Boys property (soon to be Rite-Aid) with it's visibility and small parking lot.

keg92101 Nov 19, 2007 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3176195)
If that is true, I hope it happens. Are they starting another chain? We looked at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market for a site in North County. I am questioning this rumor because even the new concept was 40,000+ sf. Also, it needs to have other Wal-Marts in the vicinity to be able to piggyback the distribution. The nearest WalMart to downtown in College Grove, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mar...borhood_Market

J Street is definitely a backstreet. So is Island. The 1- mile demographics for J Street would be killed by the 20+ acre open space (PetCo Park and tailgate park). It also has Albertson's, Longs Drugs, Two 7-11's, Star Market and the new proposed Rite Aid to compete with.

The smart site would have been the Pep Boys property (soon to be Rite-Aid) with it's visibility and small parking lot.

My company built the Rock Church in Liberty Station, and I got pretty friendly with the Trader Joes Mgt over there. They told me that they were looking at the Pep Boys, OliverMcMillan's Southblock and the Lofts at 10th, and a couple of other sites. Their regional Mgr did say that there would be a TJ's in dowtown, between 12-18 months. My wife and I think that the ne Hanover apts on 10th & Market would be the true ideal spot (loading dock, Market St. Frontage). Unfortunately, that is at least a 24 month project.

As for Wal-Mart's new concept, I'm drawing a blank, but they have two names trademarked, and are using those to get into the "10,000" sf urban market niche, so that urbanites don't associate it with Walmart.

spoonman Nov 21, 2007 3:02 AM

I was in UTC the other day and I drove past La Jolla Commons. The first building (by far the smallest) finally has it's cladding. It's an updated version of the international style of the 50's-60's. It's very nice!:tup:

Here's the rendering. The pic on the left is a terrible likeness, but the pic on the right shows decent detail at street level.
http://www.ljcommons.com/imgs/pic2.jpg

SD_Phil Nov 21, 2007 3:34 AM

I'll try and take pictures of La Jolla Commons tomorrow.

Also, the Costa Verde project topped out about a month ago. They've been working on the exterior and it looks like it should be done by the end of the year.

spoonman Nov 21, 2007 4:32 AM

Here's a question. Has anyone been into the new Hard Rock Hotel on 5th Ave? I read that it just opened 2 weeks ago.

rocketman_95046 Nov 21, 2007 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 3180649)
I was in UTC the other day and I drove past La Jolla Commons. The first building (by far the smallest) finally has it's cladding. It's an updated version of the international style of the 50's-60's. It's very nice!:tup:

Here's the rendering. The pic on the left is a terrible likeness, but the pic on the right shows decent detail at street level.
http://www.ljcommons.com/imgs/pic2.jpg

Yes, it has some of it's cladding, however, it is still stalled at half size due to the conflict with miramar:(

eburress Nov 21, 2007 4:48 AM

^^ Yeah, there must have been some snags with that spiffy new radar they were going to buy for Miramar.

keg92101 Nov 21, 2007 8:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 3180808)
Here's a question. Has anyone been into the new Hard Rock Hotel on 5th Ave? I read that it just opened 2 weeks ago.

Yup... It Rocks. I haven't been to NOBU yet, but Maryjane's and Sweetwater are both top notch joints.

sandiegodweller Nov 21, 2007 7:38 PM

Looks like a little bit of excitement at The Diegan.

There are some doubts brewing as to the fate of the project (http://www.sdlookup.com/Forums/Gener...ault.aspx#5630)

Hotel builder sues over use of its name in S.D. project

By Penni Crabtree
STAFF WRITER

November 16, 2007

New York luxury hotel developer The Setai Group is suing a California developer for allegedly falsely promoting his upscale downtown San Diego hotel-condominium project under the Setai name.

Setai alleges that Orange County developer Steven Rebeil is infringing on the Setai trade-name with its unauthorized use in news releases and Web sites promoting Setai San Diego, a 23-story, 185-room hotel on Fifth Avenue, next to the House of Blues entertainment complex.

The luxury hotel, whose rooms, suites and penthouses are also being sold for condo use at prices ranging from the high $400,000s to $3.8 million, is scheduled to open next year. The property had been marketed as The Diegan before Rebeil began using the Setai name.

Setai filed the federal suit Wednesday in Miami after apparently attempting in October to rescind a disputed agreement with Rebeil and his firm, 5th Avenue Partners. Setai said it sent a letter “on or about Oct. 18” to Rebeil seeking to void a letter-of-intent because of “material misrepresentations” and violations of terms of the agreement.
Among other things, Rebeil failed to disclose a criminal and litigious past when Setai signed the May letter to negotiate a potential joint venture to develop luxury hotels in the western United States, the lawsuit alleges.

That past includes Rebeil's 2004 tax-related felony conviction and subsequent incarceration, and the denial of a casino gaming license in 1997 after Nevada regulators deemed Rebeil to “lack good character, honesty and integrity.”

Tom Malcolm, an attorney representing 5th Avenue Partners, said his client has the branding rights to the Setai name and has spent “millions upon millions of dollars to implement Setai's branding requirements.” Rebeil controls a majority stake in 5th Avenue.

Setai was aware of Rebeil's complex legal past before signing the letter-of-intent, Malcolm said, calling the New York developer's allegations that it didn't know “pretense.”

“This is a new development that has blindsided my clients,” Malcolm said. “There is an undercurrent here of whether Setai wants to renegotiate. My client, having spent millions upon millions of dollars, has to move forward. To pull the plug at this time would cause irreparable harm.”

Setai says in the lawsuit that it only entered a letter-of-intent with Rebeil and not a final agreement. The lawsuit also alleges that Rebeil's felony conviction disqualifies him from having any ownership interest in a Setai project involving a casino or liquor license in Nevada or California.

“Mr. Rebeil's participation in any of the Setai's projects tends to dilute the character, quality and value of Setai's goodwill and reputation due to Rebeil's obvious legal and moral troubles, which were not properly disclosed,” the lawsuit alleges.

The Setai Group developed the Setai Resort and Residences, a 40-story luxury condominium hotel in Miami, as well as a 30-story luxury condo-hotel in New York City.

Attorneys for Setai did not return telephone calls or e-mailed requests for comment. Setai executives also did not respond to a request for comment.

Malcolm said the Setai San Diego hotel project will continue to move forward despite the lawsuit, with a planned opening in March.

Though the market for hotel properties in San Diego remains strong, questions have been raised about the prospects for the condo portion of the disputed project.

In June, Rebeil indicated that the status of the condo portion of the project was uncertain. At that time, he testified under oath at an Orange County Superior Court hearing that the project will likely convert to traditional hotel use because the “condo market has tanked.”

Rebeil was testifying in a child support dispute with a former girlfriend who is the mother of his 6-year-old son. Rebeil, who lives in a multimillion-dollar home overlooking the ocean in Laguna Beach, maintained that his $8,066 monthly child support is too high because he technically has no income.

Instead, Rebeil said that he lived on cash that circulates through his wife's bank account, various companies and trusts associated with Rebeil or family members.

Orange County officials maintained that Rebeil was not in compliance with a 2004 court order and owed more than $200,000 in back child support.

Last month, an Orange County judge ruled in the case that Rebeil is a “high-earner” and ordered him to pay monthly child support of $8,500.

Yesterday, Malcolm acknowledged that the overall condo market in San Diego has softened, but termed the Setai San Diego project a “success.”

“It may not be a grand slam as it once appeared to be, but it certainly will be a very successful project,” Malcolm said.

Also named in the Setai lawsuit is 5th Avenue Partners' Miami public relations firm, Tara, Ink.

A spokeswoman for the PR agency yesterday said 5th Avenue Partners informed the agency that they have signed agreements with the Setai Group, and that all news releases and other communication released has been factual.

SDCAL Nov 21, 2007 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3176280)
My company built the Rock Church in Liberty Station, and I got pretty friendly with the Trader Joes Mgt over there. They told me that they were looking at the Pep Boys, OliverMcMillan's Southblock and the Lofts at 10th, and a couple of other sites. Their regional Mgr did say that there would be a TJ's in dowtown, between 12-18 months. My wife and I think that the ne Hanover apts on 10th & Market would be the true ideal spot (loading dock, Market St. Frontage). Unfortunately, that is at least a 24 month project.

As for Wal-Mart's new concept, I'm drawing a blank, but they have two names trademarked, and are using those to get into the "10,000" sf urban market niche, so that urbanites don't associate it with Walmart.

I talked to TJs management in Hillcrest, and they said the franchise has a limit to the number of stores that can exist within a certain number of miles. I don't recall the exact number, but they said most of East Village is out of the question because it is too close to the Hillcrest location. They did mention that places downtown were being looked at, but they are in the western part of dt

SDCAL Nov 21, 2007 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3181875)
Looks like a little bit of excitement at The Diegan.

There are some doubts brewing as to the fate of the project (http://www.sdlookup.com/Forums/Gener...ault.aspx#5630)

Hotel builder sues over use of its name in S.D. project

By Penni Crabtree
STAFF WRITER

November 16, 2007

New York luxury hotel developer The Setai Group is suing a California developer for allegedly falsely promoting his upscale downtown San Diego hotel-condominium project under the Setai name.

Setai alleges that Orange County developer Steven Rebeil is infringing on the Setai trade-name with its unauthorized use in news releases and Web sites promoting Setai San Diego, a 23-story, 185-room hotel on Fifth Avenue, next to the House of Blues entertainment complex.

The luxury hotel, whose rooms, suites and penthouses are also being sold for condo use at prices ranging from the high $400,000s to $3.8 million, is scheduled to open next year. The property had been marketed as The Diegan before Rebeil began using the Setai name.

Setai filed the federal suit Wednesday in Miami after apparently attempting in October to rescind a disputed agreement with Rebeil and his firm, 5th Avenue Partners. Setai said it sent a letter “on or about Oct. 18” to Rebeil seeking to void a letter-of-intent because of “material misrepresentations” and violations of terms of the agreement.
Among other things, Rebeil failed to disclose a criminal and litigious past when Setai signed the May letter to negotiate a potential joint venture to develop luxury hotels in the western United States, the lawsuit alleges.

That past includes Rebeil's 2004 tax-related felony conviction and subsequent incarceration, and the denial of a casino gaming license in 1997 after Nevada regulators deemed Rebeil to “lack good character, honesty and integrity.”

Tom Malcolm, an attorney representing 5th Avenue Partners, said his client has the branding rights to the Setai name and has spent “millions upon millions of dollars to implement Setai's branding requirements.” Rebeil controls a majority stake in 5th Avenue.

Setai was aware of Rebeil's complex legal past before signing the letter-of-intent, Malcolm said, calling the New York developer's allegations that it didn't know “pretense.”

“This is a new development that has blindsided my clients,” Malcolm said. “There is an undercurrent here of whether Setai wants to renegotiate. My client, having spent millions upon millions of dollars, has to move forward. To pull the plug at this time would cause irreparable harm.”

Setai says in the lawsuit that it only entered a letter-of-intent with Rebeil and not a final agreement. The lawsuit also alleges that Rebeil's felony conviction disqualifies him from having any ownership interest in a Setai project involving a casino or liquor license in Nevada or California.

“Mr. Rebeil's participation in any of the Setai's projects tends to dilute the character, quality and value of Setai's goodwill and reputation due to Rebeil's obvious legal and moral troubles, which were not properly disclosed,” the lawsuit alleges.

The Setai Group developed the Setai Resort and Residences, a 40-story luxury condominium hotel in Miami, as well as a 30-story luxury condo-hotel in New York City.

Attorneys for Setai did not return telephone calls or e-mailed requests for comment. Setai executives also did not respond to a request for comment.

Malcolm said the Setai San Diego hotel project will continue to move forward despite the lawsuit, with a planned opening in March.

Though the market for hotel properties in San Diego remains strong, questions have been raised about the prospects for the condo portion of the disputed project.

In June, Rebeil indicated that the status of the condo portion of the project was uncertain. At that time, he testified under oath at an Orange County Superior Court hearing that the project will likely convert to traditional hotel use because the “condo market has tanked.”

Rebeil was testifying in a child support dispute with a former girlfriend who is the mother of his 6-year-old son. Rebeil, who lives in a multimillion-dollar home overlooking the ocean in Laguna Beach, maintained that his $8,066 monthly child support is too high because he technically has no income.

Instead, Rebeil said that he lived on cash that circulates through his wife's bank account, various companies and trusts associated with Rebeil or family members.

Orange County officials maintained that Rebeil was not in compliance with a 2004 court order and owed more than $200,000 in back child support.

Last month, an Orange County judge ruled in the case that Rebeil is a “high-earner” and ordered him to pay monthly child support of $8,500.

Yesterday, Malcolm acknowledged that the overall condo market in San Diego has softened, but termed the Setai San Diego project a “success.”

“It may not be a grand slam as it once appeared to be, but it certainly will be a very successful project,” Malcolm said.

Also named in the Setai lawsuit is 5th Avenue Partners' Miami public relations firm, Tara, Ink.

A spokeswoman for the PR agency yesterday said 5th Avenue Partners informed the agency that they have signed agreements with the Setai Group, and that all news releases and other communication released has been factual.

I hope we still get a Setai, they look really cool - - - this Rebeil character sounds like a real dumbass, I hope his foolishness hasn't ruined us from getting a Setai downtown!!!!!! :hell:

keg92101 Nov 21, 2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3182037)
I hope we still get a Setai, they look really cool - - - this Rebeil character sounds like a real dumbass, I hope his foolishness hasn't ruined us from getting a Setai downtown!!!!!! :hell:

That development is in shambles. Hopefully some one buys this crook out and puts the Foundation Room back into the project. My neighbor bought one, just for that reason, and was really pissed when he found out it got scratched.

bmfarley Nov 22, 2007 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3182030)
I talked to TJs management in Hillcrest, and they said the franchise has a limit to the number of stores that can exist within a certain number of miles. I don't recall the exact number, but they said most of East Village is out of the question because it is too close to the Hillcrest location. They did mention that places downtown were being looked at, but they are in the western part of dt

Trader Joe's is a nice store. I visit the one in Hillcrest 1-3 times a month as I'm tending to reach-out for more variety these days. But, I'd rather see a Whole Foods downtown! You gotta dig their ready-made dishes!

SDCAL Nov 22, 2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3182483)
Trader Joe's is a nice store. I visit the one in Hillcrest 1-3 times a month as I'm tending to reach-out for more variety these days. But, I'd rather see a Whole Foods downtown! You gotta dig their ready-made dishes!

Well, regardless of whether or not the TR Produce location is the right place for it, an alternative produce or gorcery market would do well in East Village, I think.

Having the Albertson's is nice, but sometimes you just want to pick up a few fresh ingrediants for dinner and having to deal with a gigantic supermarket is a pain in the ass

I also go to Trader Joes's in Hillcrest or sometimes the Henry's in North Park about once a month. I often see people in the elevator in my building with TJs or henreys bags and I ask them where they went and they usually say Hillcrest or Point Loma and they always comment they wish there was one downtown

As far as J street being a "back-street" I guess it's relative to what your comparing it to. It is obviously not as busy or Market and Boradway, but it still seems pretty busy. Basic Pizza, a bar/restaurant, who's entrance is on J Street is always packed, but it is on the corner of 10th so maybe that is part of it. Further down the restaurants like the one at hotel Solamar also seem like they are not hurting for patrons -

Derek Nov 22, 2007 11:22 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

bmfarley Nov 23, 2007 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3183833)
As far as J street being a "back-street" I guess it's relative to what your comparing it to. It is obviously not as busy or Market and Boradway, but it still seems pretty busy. Basic Pizza, a bar/restaurant, who's entrance is on J Street is always packed, but it is on the corner of 10th so maybe that is part of it. Further down the restaurants like the one at hotel Solamar also seem like they are not hurting for patrons -

It's all relative, isn't it. But I agree, J doesn't seem like a back-alley to em. It seems just perfect. I am on it as a pedestrian 2-4 times a week heading to Quizmo's for lunch.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.