SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

zahav Sep 20, 2021 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9401762)
I don't think this has been ever pointed out but AC for the past 2 (or more?) months have been flying mainline 320s on YVR-YXT 3x/week. Did YXT ever have mainline (PW?) jets 35 years ago? Certainly the first ever AC mainline to Terrace-Kitimat.

I noticed AC used a 320 on a Fort St John flight as well last week. I remember those routes were British Aerospace 146 on AC before they were retired (I think they came from Canadian Regional), but I am not sure about back in the PW days. It is definitely an endorsement of route demand up north

Dominion301 Sep 20, 2021 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9401980)
I noticed AC used a 320 on a Fort St John flight as well last week. I remember those routes were British Aerospace 146 on AC before they were retired (I think they came from Canadian Regional), but I am not sure about back in the PW days. It is definitely an endorsement of route demand up north

Those would have been the old AirBC (and later Jazz) 146s. They pretty much had the same seat capacity as a DH4, but with a J class cabin.

zahav Sep 21, 2021 5:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9401991)
Those would have been the old AirBC (and later Jazz) 146s. They pretty much had the same seat capacity as a DH4, but with a J class cabin.

Yes that's right, AirBC. They were neat looking planes, looking at old pictures now it's hard to believe we saw those as recently as the early 2000s. But I definitely remember YXS, YXT, and others being on those planes.

For smaller jet capacity, AC used Zip for many years. But I don't think they ever did the smaller communities, they basically were deployed on WS favoured routes like YVR, YEG, YYC, YXE, YWG

Djeffery Sep 21, 2021 10:08 AM

Air Nova also had the 146's

casper Sep 21, 2021 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9402413)
Yes that's right, AirBC. They were neat looking planes, looking at old pictures now it's hard to believe we saw those as recently as the early 2000s. But I definitely remember YXS, YXT, and others being on those planes.

For smaller jet capacity, AC used Zip for many years. But I don't think they ever did the smaller communities, they basically were deployed on WS favoured routes like YVR, YEG, YYC, YXE, YWG

I have been on the 146s on a YVR-SEA and on flights out of Saskatoon. I think the Saskatoon flights may have been to Vancouver but could have also been Calgary.

The Zip were former 737-200s that belong to Canadian Airlines. It was an experiment by Air Canada in operating a low cost airlines. The other former Canadian birds that were around for a while were the Folker F27s. Those operated all over western Canada both for Canadian and later Air Canada. It was around 9/11 that most of them were flown to Saskatoon to die. Dead and decaying Folkers sat in various areas of that airport for years.

Airboy Sep 21, 2021 4:22 PM

North Cariboo air flies one. I was on one from Terrace to Edmonton. Charter for the LNG site.

I believe it was an older First Air aircraft.

Dominion301 Sep 21, 2021 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeffery (Post 9402476)
Air Nova also had the 146's

I only ever flew on the 146 once YXY-YVR. It was certainly different and the flaps were very noisy.

I actually by pure chance saw the retirement arrival of the last 146 Jazz flight that landed at YHZ. It was February 2006. There was no ceremony, just a quiet taxi to the gate on a dreary winter day. Halifax didn't have much snow at the time I remember.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 9402772)
North Cariboo air flies one. I was on one from Terrace to Edmonton. Charter for the LNG site.

I believe it was an older First Air aircraft.

First Air never had their own 146. It was contracted from Summit Air, but did operate in 7F livery.

Airboy Sep 21, 2021 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9402864)
Both Air Nova and Air BC had 146s. They were then all merged into Jazz.

I only ever flew on the 146 once YXY-YVR. It was certainly different and the flaps were very noisy.

I actually by pure chance saw the retirement arrival of the last 146 Jazz flight that landed at YHZ. It was February 2006. There was no ceremony, just a quiet taxi to the gate on a dreary winter day. Halifax didn't have much snow at the time I remember.



First Air never had their own 146. It was contracted from Summit Air, but did operate in 7F livery.

Right, I was on it twice but it did have FA livery. But the aircraft listing has Summit , North Cariboo and FA as operators. I think it may be the same aircraft for all three.

Calfan12 Sep 22, 2021 8:38 AM

Calgary YYC Airport ✈️ August 2021 Passengers Stats are out.

Domestic : 871,072 (143.4%) - YTD 2,727,259 -15.69%
Transborder : 52,710 (479.9%) - YTD 171,039 -77.00%
International : 30,783 (554.1%) -YTD 84,365 -82.07%

August 2021 total- 954,565 (156.8%)
YTD- 2,982,663 (-32.96%)

https://www.yyc.com/Portals/0/br_paxtotal_Sep2021.pdf

Dominion301 Sep 22, 2021 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 9402886)
Right, I was on it twice but it did have FA livery. But the aircraft listing has Summit , North Cariboo and FA as operators. I think it may be the same aircraft for all three.

It could be as both Summit and North Cariboo operate 146s. I don't think the new 5T are still using the contracted RJ85.

Tg11 Sep 23, 2021 2:32 PM

But hearing just how bad things are getting or will get at some airports with this proof of vaccination system. If we don't have that, we cannot fly to wherever we need to get to. Unfortunate but it needs to be done. I mean think about it. Do you really want to be sitting next to a person on a plane and then out of nowhere you could possibly end up with COVID?

casper Sep 23, 2021 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tg11 (Post 9404765)
But hearing just how bad things are getting or will get at some airports with this proof of vaccination system. If we don't have that, we cannot fly to wherever we need to get to. Unfortunate but it needs to be done. I mean think about it. Do you really want to be sitting next to a person on a plane and then out of nowhere you could possibly end up with COVID?

It sounds like that is also the reason the US has not opened up land crossing to Canadians. They can't staff the people needed for the COVID checks at the 100 or so land crossing. We may end up with air and marine being the only way in for a while.

CivicBlues Sep 23, 2021 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9405291)
It sounds like that is also the reason the US has not opened up land crossing to Canadians. They can't staff the people needed for the COVID checks at the 100 or so land crossing. We may end up with air and marine being the only way in for a while.

And yet Canada is somehow able to?

whatnext Sep 23, 2021 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9402413)
Yes that's right, AirBC. They were neat looking planes, looking at old pictures now it's hard to believe we saw those as recently as the early 2000s. But I definitely remember YXS, YXT, and others being on those planes.

For smaller jet capacity, AC used Zip for many years. But I don't think they ever did the smaller communities, they basically were deployed on WS favoured routes like YVR, YEG, YYC, YXE, YWG

Many years? Zip only flew from 2002 to 2004.

As for the 146, the joke used to be the BAE stood for "bring another engine".

Djeffery Sep 23, 2021 10:59 PM

I only flew on the 146 once, Moncton-Saint John-Montreal. I liked the high wing, gave better views. Thought it was odd that it didn't have reverse thrust. Thought something was wrong when we landed in Saint John and didn't have that familiar roar.

isotack Sep 23, 2021 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivicBlues (Post 9405399)
And yet Canada is somehow able to?

They don't have a Mexican border. Border guards have been sent to the southern border. This is all about the Biden admin not looking like playing favorites with Canada over Mexico and the migrants. Remember that, when you hear "we're all in this together"

thenoflyzone Sep 24, 2021 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isotack (Post 9405538)
They don't have a Mexican border. Border guards have been sent to the southern border. This is all about the Biden admin not looking like playing favorites with Canada over Mexico and the migrants. Remember that, when you hear "we're all in this together"

Your probably right in that they don’t want to play favorites. But they should, considering our vaccination rate is over double that of Mexico. (33.5% vs 71%)

casper Sep 24, 2021 2:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9405655)
Your probably right in that they don’t want to play favorites. But they should, considering our vaccination rate is over double that of Mexico. (33.5% vs 71%)

That still require them to staff the northern boarder at a higher level than normal. If they have shifted resources south that will make that difficult.

J81 Sep 24, 2021 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tg11 (Post 9404765)
But hearing just how bad things are getting or will get at some airports with this proof of vaccination system. If we don't have that, we cannot fly to wherever we need to get to. Unfortunate but it needs to be done. I mean think about it. Do you really want to be sitting next to a person on a plane and then out of nowhere you could possibly end up with COVID?

But if you’re vaccinated then what do you care if the person next to you isnt? Plus youre wearing a mask.

zahav Sep 24, 2021 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J81 (Post 9405974)
But if you’re vaccinated then what do you care if the person next to you isnt? Plus youre wearing a mask.

The vaccine won't prevent you from getting COVID, especially from an unvaccinated person. The chances of a vaccinated person passing it on to another vaccinated person is way lower, but if someone is totally unvaxxed, then they can certainly pass it to someone who is fully vaxxed.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.