SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

1overcosc Dec 1, 2016 6:31 AM

The more popular resorts like Varadero and Punta Cana have an insane number of direct flights to/from Canadian cities.. even to places like Val D'Or and Deer Lake. IIRC, seasonal direct flights to Varadero are available to something like 30 Canadian airports.

One thing I find neat is that there are a number of domestic trips in Canada for which a hypothetical connection through a Carribean resort airport is actually the only one-stop connection available. For example, if you want to fly from Val D'Or to Kelowna... any flight within Canada requires two stops (Montreal and at least one other, typically Toronto), but you could do a one-stop transfer through Varadero. I don't know if transiting through Cuba is actually possible, though.

flipv Dec 1, 2016 12:16 PM

Pearson is hiring a swath of PMs and managers for 'a new expansion program'.

Looks like expansion will kick off soon.

thenoflyzone Dec 1, 2016 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1overcosc (Post 7638489)
The more popular resorts like Varadero and Punta Cana have an insane number of direct flights to/from Canadian cities.. even to places like Val D'Or and Deer Lake. IIRC, seasonal direct flights to Varadero are available to something like 30 Canadian airports.

One thing I find neat is that there are a number of domestic trips in Canada for which a hypothetical connection through a Carribean resort airport is actually the only one-stop connection available. For example, if you want to fly from Val D'Or to Kelowna... any flight within Canada requires two stops (Montreal and at least one other, typically Toronto), but you could do a one-stop transfer through Varadero. I don't know if transiting through Cuba is actually possible, though.

If it is a Canadian airline operating both legs, theoretically, it is possible. But you're looking at long layovers, as most secondary and tertiary Canadian cities have only 1 or 2 weekly service to Cuban destinations.

If it's Cubana, say YYZ-VRA and then VRA-YUL, it is not allowed, as that is cabotage.

Same way AC isn't allowed to pick up a passenger in ORD and get him to BOS via YYZ. (at least not on a single booking)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipv (Post 7638583)
Pearson is hiring a swath of PMs and managers for 'a new expansion program'.

Looks like expansion will kick off soon.

About time that third pier gets constructed.

flipv Dec 1, 2016 1:34 PM

^^ Indeed - it's high time. But I think they'll need the fourth and fifth if the below pans out. ;)

In the news, looks like YYZ and Air Canada are getting even more ambitious... 80 million pax by 2035? Why not. Calling for the federal government to help.

Toronto Star article

Quote:

OTTAWA—Toronto’s Pearson International Airport — already Canada’s busiest — is on track to become an elite “mega hub” but it’s going to take federal investments to help make it happen, a new report says.

The operators of Pearson are appealing for assistance to solve the traffic woes that clog area highways and, within the terminals, new funding to eliminate backlogs at security checkpoints and customs and immigration inspections.

And they want Ottawa to rethink visa demands that currently deter some international travellers from using Toronto to make connections.

The report, prepared for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, argues that those investments will pay off, putting Pearson in position to capitalize on growing air travel and double its annual passenger traffic to 80 million a year by 2035.

The report, titled “Growing Canada with a Mega Hub Airport,” will be released Thursday at a Canadian Club of Toronto event featuring Howard Eng, CEO of the airport authority, and Ben Smith, president, passenger airlines, at Air Canada.

It says Pearson has the potential to join the ranks of London’s Heathrow, Los Angeles International and Dubai, so-called mega hub airports characterized by high passenger volumes and a wide selection of international connections.

“Mega hubs are becoming increasingly important in facilitating routes and global trade,” the report says.

Already Pearson creates 332,000 direct and indirect jobs and is responsible for 6.3 per cent of Ontario’s economic output.

“Those impacts could be bigger if Toronto Pearson can seize its opportunity and develop into a mega hub,” the report said, predicting that employment could double.

“The economic prosperity of city-regions is inextricably linked to their connectivity to the rest of the world,” it says.

But the report, which was obtained by the Star, cautions that there is a “limited window” for Pearson to develop into a mega hub.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...o-meg-hub.html

Toronto Pearson news release

Quote:

ORONTO, Dec. 1, 2016 /CNW/ - A report published today by the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) explains how Toronto Pearson International Airport is poised to become one of the world's next top tier international airports, providing air connectivity to as much as 80 per cent of the world's economies. The report, Growing Canada with a Mega Hub Airport, outlines the significant economic advantages realized by mega hub airports around the world. The report recommends six concrete steps the Government of Canada should take that would allow Toronto Pearson to realize its potential and deliver economic benefits from coast to coast.

Mega hub airports such as Dubai, Singapore, and John F Kennedy in New York City have a large percentage of international passengers, significant connecting traffic, and are growing at faster rates than their local economies. They also facilitate significant employment around the airport, and indirectly across their local catchment areas. Toronto Pearson ended 2015 at 41 million passengers, about 61 per cent of which were international, and forecasts to reach as many as 44 million passengers by the end of 2016. Today, the airport offers passengers access to more than 180 destinations through 65 carriers. Additionally, approximately 50,000 people are employed at Toronto Pearson through more than 300 employers, and the employment zone around the airport is home to about 300,000 jobs.

"Market competition is increasingly global and the competitiveness of the Greater Toronto Area, and the entire country, depends on its access to international markets. For our region to be able to compete with other city-regions around the world and reap the economic benefits, it needs a globally competitive mega hub airport," said Howard Eng, President and CEO, GTAA. "The GTAA will make the necessary investments to enable this growth; however, to achieve mega hub status, and all the associated benefits for the region and the country, we will need support from government."

The report asserts that Toronto Pearson has a limited window of opportunity to develop Toronto Pearson into a mega hub, outlining six concrete steps to how it can partner with government to achieve this milestone, including improved transportation access to the airport, achieving hassle-free flow of passengers through the airport and policy amendments to attract international passengers. These steps are explained in further detail within the report.

One of the key recommendations in the report is for all levels of government to prioritize regional transit connections into Toronto Pearson to serve the airport area. The area around the airport has been identified as the second largest employment zone in the country by the Neptis Foundation. A recent report by Neptis states that the Airport Employment Megazone is home to a significant concentration of manufacturing and transportation-related employment, as well as a growing number of finance and business services jobs. The area, including the airport, generates more than one million car trips daily, due in large part to a lack of transit service. The GTAA has actively promoted its vision for a multi-modal transportation hub, akin to Union Station, to be located on the airport lands, facilitating multiple transit connections, such as the Eglinton West LRT, Mississauga's Bus Rapid Transit line, Regional Express Rail, Finch LRT, and the potential high speed rail line connecting the Innovation Corridor between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo.

About the Greater Toronto Airports Authority
The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) is the operator of Toronto Pearson International Airport. With 41 million passengers in 2015, Toronto Pearson is Canada's largest airport, and North America's second-largest international passenger airport, as measured by the total number of annual international passengers. Toronto Pearson is a hub for the movement of people and goods across the country and the continent, and also around the globe.

The focus of the GTAA continues to be on growing Toronto Pearson's status as an international gateway: enhancing the customer experience, safety, security, the success of our airline partners and the regional economy.

SOURCE Greater Toronto Airports Authority

For further information: GTAA Media Office (416) 776-3709
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...603966216.html

Link to report:

https://torontopearson.com/uploadedF...HubAirport.pdf

kwoldtimer Dec 1, 2016 5:32 PM

So, would that be in addition to a new airport in Pickering, or instead of?

flipv Dec 1, 2016 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 7638870)
So, would that be in addition to a new airport in Pickering, or instead of?

There is no need for a Pickering passenger airport. There's the opportunity to create an intermodal cargo hub (air-rail-road) and general aviation, but Pearson can handle all the passenger demand here on forward.

DrNest Dec 1, 2016 6:32 PM

Pickering keeps getting banded about, but it will never take off. There's room for at least two more runways at Pearson, at least one of which will get built before Pickering even gets any serious consideration.

Pearson's problem is lack of gates and terminal parking. It needs Piers G and H built urgently, as well as the infield terminal opened up for regular use.

Hamilton is already a significant cargo airport, and can easily handle much more, again negating the need for Pickering. Oshawa can handle Dash-8s, but would require adjustments to the terminal building to make it compliant with passenger security screening. There are plans to extend the runway at Oshawa, with a few extra thousand feet it could handle smaller jets up to something like the E190 for example.

I would also expect to see jets permitted into the Island before Pickering is built too.

lubicon Dec 1, 2016 7:12 PM

Bigtime essentially nailed it for Western Canada even if he was talking about YYC only. Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica are the only Carribbean destinations I am aware of from Winnipeg and west (plus I guess Bahamas). I don't count the east side of Mexico in that. As a whole, western Canadians travel to Mexico more than anywhere else it seems judging by the number of flights.

SFUVancouver Dec 1, 2016 7:43 PM

YVR October 2016 numbers

[From the YVR Airport Thread]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7637785)
The engine just keeps rolling!

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docume...ct16.pdf?la=en

Overall up 11.5% YTD up 9.5%
Domestic up 7.6% YTD up 7.6%
Transborder up 12.4% YTD up 6.5%
Asia Pacific up 18.3% YTD up 14.9%
Europe up 18.1% YTD up 17.1%
Misc Int'l up 46.2% YTD up 27.1%
TTL INTL up 16.1% YTD up 11.4%

Total pax increased over 183,000 from Oct 2015!

Some further breakdown of the YVR October 2016 & Year to Date 2016 numbers.

Total Passengers (Domestic, Transborder, and International) | October 2016 – 1,780,096 [up 11.5% from October 2015]
Total Passengers (Domestic, Transborder, and International) | Year to Date 2016 – 18,838,334 [up 9.5% from Year to Date 2015]

Domestic | October 2016 – 924,594 [up 6.6% from October 2015]
Domestic | Year to Date 2016 – 9,387,269 [up 7.0% from Year to Date 2015]

Total International (incl. Transborder) | October 2016 – 846,777 [up 16.1% from October 2015]
Total International (incl. Transborder) | Year to Date 2016 – 9,451,065 [up 11.4% from Year to Date 2015]

Transborder | October 2016 – 410,071 [up 12.4% from October 2015]
Transborder | Year to Date 2016 – 4,623,755 [up 6.5% from Year to Date 2015]

International – Asia Pacific | October 2016 – 288,954 [up 18.3% from October 2015]
International – Asia Pacific | Year to Date 2016 – 2,955,653 [up 14.9% from Year to Date 2015]

International – Europe | October 2016 – 117,693 [up 18.1% from October 2015]
International – Europe | Year to Date 2016 – 1,423,186 [up 17.1% from Year to Date 2015]

[edit: I skipped Miscellaneous International, so the numbers of Transborder, Asia, and Europe do not add up to the Total International.]

LeftCoaster Dec 1, 2016 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.S MTL (Post 7638462)
U could have just edited your previous post :)

Ya but then it looks like I was hiding that I was wrong, gotta take my lumps! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipv (Post 7638617)
^^ Indeed - it's high time. But I think they'll need the fourth and fifth if the below pans out. ;)

In the news, looks like YYZ and Air Canada are getting even more ambitious... 80 million pax by 2035? Why not. Calling for the federal government to help.

Though it sounds like a lot its really an attainable goal. 80 million by 2035 implies a 3.19% average growth rate over the next 20 years. Not small but not outrageous either.

Only issue for Pearson and AC is that a lot of air travel demand is outside of their control and related to much broader macroeconomic influence. If things keep going like they are 80 million should be achievable... but who knows what the future holds.

flipv Dec 1, 2016 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7639254)
Ya but then it looks like I was hiding that I was wrong, gotta take my lumps! :)

Though it sounds like a lot its really an attainable goal. 80 million by 2035 implies a 3.19% average growth rate over the next 20 years. Not small but not outrageous either.

Only issue for Pearson and AC is that a lot of air travel demand is outside of their control and related to much broader macroeconomic influence. If things keep going like they are 80 million should be achievable... but who knows what the future holds.

It's still surprising... not that long ago the plan was 55 million by 2035 as the airport's theoretical capacity. I think the expansion scope might be a lot larger than we anticipated. I could see an AC-focused international pier built while the hammerhead becomes other * carriers and transborder AC ops.

TorontoDrew Dec 1, 2016 9:35 PM

Getting through security at Pearson canbe painfully slow. If I didn't need to travel to BC so much I would never use it. Also I'm a little paranoid in airports and never feel comfortable until I get through security. They definitely need to hire new people in security. Those relatively new self bag check machines have only forced you to wait in yet another line making your pre-boarding experience that much worse.

isotack Dec 2, 2016 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNest (Post 7638953)
Pickering keeps getting banded about, but it will never take off. There's room for at least two more runways at Pearson, at least one of which will get built before Pickering even gets any serious consideration.

Pearson's problem is lack of gates and terminal parking. It needs Piers G and H built urgently, as well as the infield terminal opened up for regular use.

Hamilton is already a significant cargo airport, and can easily handle much more, again negating the need for Pickering. Oshawa can handle Dash-8s, but would require adjustments to the terminal building to make it compliant with passenger security screening. There are plans to extend the runway at Oshawa, with a few extra thousand feet it could handle smaller jets up to something like the E190 for example.

No there are not you made that up.. surely you know that there will be no expansion at Oshawa. It was killed in 2012. Basic well know fact.
http://www.durhamregion.com/news-sto...ficially-axed/

Now that calls the rest of your reply into question does it not?

I would also expect to see jets permitted into the Island before Pickering is built too.

No there are no plans to expand Oshawa... you made that up.. surely you know that there will be no expansion at Oshawa. It was killed in 2012. Basic well know fact.

1overcosc Dec 2, 2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubicon (Post 7639013)
Bigtime essentially nailed it for Western Canada even if he was talking about YYC only. Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica are the only Carribbean destinations I am aware of from Winnipeg and west (plus I guess Bahamas). I don't count the east side of Mexico in that. As a whole, western Canadians travel to Mexico more than anywhere else it seems judging by the number of flights.

Interesting... whereas in Ontario, it's all about Cuba. And for Quebec it's Florida.

1overcosc Dec 2, 2016 1:42 AM

Ontario is about to pass a law that would make it illegal for rewards points held by Ontario residents to expire, and Air Miles is lobbying hard against it. Surprise, surprise.

Quote:

If passed, proposed legislation would prevent companies offering loyalty reward programs in Ontario, such as Air Miles, from expiring customers’ collected points on a set date.

The Protecting Rewards Points Act, or Bill 47, was introduced by Ontario Liberal MPP Arthur Potts last month, and could become law in early December. If passed, the bill would make it illegal for companies to expire consumers’ unused reward points based on the passage of time alone. Additionally, the legislation would force companies to restore any points that expired on or after Oct. 1, 2016.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/expir...ates-1.3183694

Back in 2007, Ontario was the first jurisdiction to ban expiry dates on gift cards, and everyone else followed suit shortly thereafter. Something similar will likely happen now. A win for consumers :)

DrNest Dec 2, 2016 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isotack (Post 7639439)
No there are no plans to expand Oshawa... you made that up.. surely you know that there will be no expansion at Oshawa. It was killed in 2012. Basic well know fact.

Now let's see. You quote an article from four and a half years ago that is way out of date. What other credentials do you have to back up your last sentence? Or any of your totally erroneous statement for that matter?

I'm an air traffic controller that works for Nav Canada and have friends who work at Oshawa. I've seen first hand the actual plans for the expansion, which will undergo construction at the end of August 2017. The airport will be closed for four weeks whilst the runway is extended and resurfaced. That is a fact. Not something I made up. If you were to fly into Oshawa today you will see all the taxiway and runway 23/05 lines were recently repainted. 12/30 was not repainted because it will be dug up as part of the extension and resurfacing.

Yes, this particular addition will only add approximately 500' to Runway 12/30, but there is additional consideration for the long-term future to add another 2000'.

The point I made is that it is still far more likely that Oshawa will get the extra 2000' or so long before Pickering has shovels in the ground. So no, it does not call into question anything I said in my post!

thenoflyzone Dec 2, 2016 3:51 PM

Air Canada inaugurates newly redesigned International Maple Leaf Lounge in YUL.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1084

"Located between gates 52 and 53, the new lounge measures 1,022 square meters and has seating capacity for 259 customers. With floor to ceiling windows offering spectacular tarmac views....
The new lounge offers customers a full service bar and complimentary alcoholic beverages including a selection of Canadian wines, a live food station with a chef, barista-style specialty coffees, complimentary Wifi, a cyber work counter and facilities, living rooms, lounge chairs, showers with heated floors and an exclusive private area for special guests. It also features multiple zones inspired by nature including a garden ceiling that creates the illusion of a forest canopy with ceramic pieces by Quebec artisan Pascale Girardin that imitate the sound of rustling leaves, travel inspired photography by Montreal based Nicolas Ruel, special maple wood and Ontario Eramosa marble. Custom furnishings are by local Canadian designers Nienkämper, Mobilier Moderne, and Brent Comber."

Of note, AC recently opened a MLL in EWR, will expand the YVR international MLL next summer, will build a new domestic lounge in Saskatoon in the fall of 2017 and refurbish the domestic lounges at YYZ, YVR and YUL in 2017.

Also of note, Desjardins bank will soon open a new Odyssey lounge in YUL as well, in order to compete with the National Bank Mastercard VIP lounge. It will be located in the newly built extension of the international pier. So along with the AF/KL Lounge, that will bring up the number of VIP lounges in the international pier to 4. (domestic passengers can access these lounges, as the international and domestic piers are connected air side.)

Loco101 Dec 3, 2016 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1overcosc (Post 7639443)
Interesting... whereas in Ontario, it's all about Cuba. And for Quebec it's Florida.

I'm pretty sure that Cuba is bigger on average with Quebeckers than it is with Ontarians or Canadians from other provinces. Almost every resort I've been to in Cuba had service in French and employees who could speak it quite well. I didn't see that in Mexico or Jamaica and definitely haven't seen it in hotels in Florida. (but yes, a lot of Quebeckers do vacation in Florida)

Loco101 Dec 3, 2016 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1overcosc (Post 7638489)

I know the flights from places like Val-d'Or, Rouyn-Noranda, North Bay, etc. are direct on the way down to the tropical destination. But they have a stop on the way back for passengers to clear customs. I was on one that was returning to Rouyn-Noranda but stopped in Ottawa on the way back. You had to get off the plane, get your luggage, go through customs and then put your luggage back to be loaded back onto the place and then fly.

ACT7 Dec 3, 2016 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7636838)
With Beijing Capital and Hong Kong Airlines coming up YVR will have 23 overseas carriers flying there!

Breakdown by continent:

Asia 14
Europe 7
Australia (Oceania) 2

YVR should be the fastest growing of the major airports this year but YYZ definitely not far behind in % growth. YVR international growth is just mind blowing this year and should continue into next year with the upcoming new services.

How do you figure 23? I only count 21 if you include Qantas as seasonal and both Beijing Capital and HK Airlines. And I included Aeromexico as well so in reality it would only be 20 non NA carriers.