SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] RBC Waterside Centre | 37 m | 9 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144928)

beyeas Jan 6, 2012 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 5539389)
Above that was a slightly annoying article about the closure of J. W. Doull and Back Pages. The author stated that it's "another sign that the retail appeal of Barrington and Spring Garden is inexorably ebbing away". Next to that they had another article about some LuluLemon-related store opening up that will probably be paying some of the highest rents ever on SGR. Book stores are closing because of Amazon and other online book sellers/printers.

I had to try really hard to not throw my ipad across the room this morning when I read that "inexorably ebbing away" comment.

someone123 Jan 6, 2012 11:35 PM

I get the feeling that turn of phrase was published more because of how it sounded than because of how true it is. That sort of thing plus the focus on business personalities gives ANS a tabloid feel sometimes unfortunately. I don't know what the readership is like but I'd prefer if it were mostly hard news plus separate, well-identified opinion pieces.

The double standards and journalism "narratives" with a life of their own really do bother me though. Did anybody claim that the closure of Linens 'n Things or whatever it was in Bayers Lake was the death knell for big box parks in the HRM? I bet many people took the ebbing away comment at face value and were therefore misled by the article.

alps Jan 7, 2012 12:47 AM

Whoa whoa whoa, John Doull's is closing!? :(

resetcbu1 Jan 7, 2012 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 5540502)
I get the feeling that turn of phrase was published more because of how it sounded than because of how true it is. That sort of thing plus the focus on business personalities gives ANS a tabloid feel sometimes unfortunately. I don't know what the readership is like but I'd prefer if it were mostly hard news plus separate, well-identified opinion pieces.

The double standards and journalism "narratives" with a life of their own really do bother me though. Did anybody claim that the closure of Linens 'n Things or whatever it was in Bayers Lake was the death knell for big box parks in the HRM? I bet many people took the ebbing away comment at face value and were therefore misled by the article.

I would think that the type of people ( I could be mistaken) that read ANS , are the type of busines savy people who don't belive all they read or at least question it, and probably get the same tabloid feel from ANS that many others do as well ....... Although they do have many worth reading peices as well.

CorbeauNoir Jan 7, 2012 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 5539389)
Book stores are closing because of Amazon and other online book sellers/printers.

Which is rather unfortunate. Amazon has some really nasty business practices with regard to book-and-mortar stores.

hollistreet Jan 8, 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alps (Post 5540585)
Whoa whoa whoa, John Doull's is closing!? :(

Closing on Barrington St., reopening on Main St. in Dartmouth.

JET Jan 9, 2012 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollistreet (Post 5541861)

where on Main Street?

Wishblade Jan 9, 2012 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET (Post 5542802)
where on Main Street?

It's just up from Dairy Queen in the Tacoma area. When your travelling by its almost impossible to miss.

JET Jan 9, 2012 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishblade (Post 5542869)
It's just up from Dairy Queen in the Tacoma area. When your travelling by its almost impossible to miss.

on the same side, or opposite?

Wishblade Jan 9, 2012 9:11 PM

Ah sorry I thought the conversation was about Garden View until I looked back. I think I was in the wrong thread lol.

JET Jan 10, 2012 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishblade (Post 5543223)
Ah sorry I thought the conversation was about Garden View until I looked back. I think I was in the wrong thread lol.

OK, what's up with the Garden View?

JET Jan 12, 2012 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollistreet (Post 5541861)

JW Doull's is moving to 122 Main St. Dartmouth, the old Wacky Wheatley's, next to Long and McQuade. The space is described as spacious, and has parking for 30, and there is a 3-car garage. not sure when he will be 'opened' for business

someone123 Jan 19, 2012 4:00 AM

According to an ANS article, an Avison Young report speculated that construction will begin in 2012 for Waterside. Perhaps they will shuffle some tenants around from other Armour Group buildings, or maybe there will be some other potential tenants possibly related to the shipbuilding contract (I'm not really sure how much office space would be needed as a result of that -- will Irving need new space? Do they have room for offices at the shipyard?).

I don't subscribe to the "build it and they will come" philosophy for the downtown, but I do think there are definite advantages to moving tenants around and to building modern space. I sometimes wonder how much the aging office stock downtown hurts the desirability of the area.

In any case, a Waterside start would be huge and could happen alongside TD and possibly the Nova Centre. What a shot in the arm for the downtown that would be! It will be nice just to see cranes in the CBD area for once.

resetcbu1 Jan 19, 2012 5:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 5555530)
According to an ANS article, an Avison Young report speculated that construction will begin in 2012 for Waterside. Perhaps they will shuffle some tenants around from other Armour Group buildings, or maybe there will be some other potential tenants possibly related to the shipbuilding contract (I'm not really sure how much office space would be needed as a result of that -- will Irving need new space? Do they have room for offices at the shipyard?).

I don't subscribe to the "build it and they will come" philosophy for the downtown, but I do think there are definite advantages to moving tenants around and to building modern space. I sometimes wonder how much the aging office stock downtown hurts the desirability of the area.

In any case, a Waterside start would be huge and could happen alongside TD and possibly the Nova Centre. What a shot in the arm for the downtown that would be! It will be nice just to see cranes in the CBD area for once.

The prospect of all those projects starting makes me slightly giddy:D I agree with you on the build it and they will come attitude but you are right I think there's a need for more class A" office space to spark downtown interest. I guess time will tell but this can only be a positive as it has sat as a hole in the ground for too long as well has the nova center. If these all started at the same time that would be something else, huh!:banana:

pblaauw Jan 20, 2012 10:56 PM

Downtown centre work finally to start

haligonia Jan 20, 2012 11:06 PM

I really really hope this pulls through soon. That block has looked depressed for far too long.

someone123 Jan 20, 2012 11:12 PM

Great news! Should be able to update this to "U/C" soon.

fenwick16 Jan 21, 2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pblaauw (Post 5557962)

Thanks for the link. This is great news.

someone123 Jan 21, 2012 1:22 AM

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here is an elevation of the building from hpwatersidecentre.ca:

http://www.hpwatersidecentre.ca/imag...s_building.gif

This is a great example of reuse that I mentioned a while ago in another thread. The Imperial Oil building is worthy of preservation, but it does not necessarily make sense to keep it completely intact as a two-storey building in the heart of the downtown core. By building offices on top we get the best of both worlds.

It will also be nice to have the empty lot filled in, and this will pair nicely with some of the work that has been done on the Morse's Teas building. If the Waterside Centre is built this will be quite a nice block.

haligonia Jan 21, 2012 2:38 AM

This is a really great building for Halifax and what we need to focus on - simple, modern infill.