SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDfan Jan 10, 2014 2:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6400828)
It's sad to hear about NBC. The YMCA building going up for auction. Hopefully a developer picks it up and builds a tower on the site.

I think the YMCA is historically designated, like the YWCA building by City College Station. There was a condo tower proposal for the YWCA building way back in the day, but it was scuttled because the developer couldn't incorporate the structure into their project.

tyleraf Jan 10, 2014 5:10 AM

Maybe they could do something like bosa did with the old SDG&E building.

Derek Jan 10, 2014 8:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6400808)
NBC is leaving downtown in 2016. :(

http://www.hughesmarino.com/hughes-m...ng-to-auction/

Wow, that's actually really terrible news for downtown San Diego. :(

Prahaboheme Jan 10, 2014 4:49 PM

Hopefully whatever replaces NBC will have good street interaction and roll into Horton Plaza. This is no doubt a loss for downtown San Diego, but it can still be redeveloped into a more pedestrian friendly stretch given it's fantastic location.

Nerv Jan 10, 2014 7:43 PM

That is bad news for downtown. Hopefully it doesn't end up with two empty or mostly empty buildings for long. No mention of any interest by others I noticed.

Local TV news has been on ratings skids for a while so it sounds like another cost cutting effort. Wonder where they'll end up. TJ? Lol... :D

Northparkwizard Jan 11, 2014 9:23 PM

Whatever happened to the international competition to light the San Diego/Coronado bridge? It's a shame that it seems like that idea came and went. I loved the bridge tube idea It would offer such amazing views that you otherwise wouldn't be able to see except from a moving vehicle, tourists would go bananas for that, shoot I'd go bananas for that. Such a obvious opportunity for a new San Diego capital improvement project, alas we lack leaders with the vision or aptitude to rally support for these types of things anymore.

tyleraf Jan 11, 2014 11:45 PM

I saw an article on the bridge lighting last year. They want to have it done by the end of this year.

Nerv Jan 12, 2014 6:00 AM

They started the fund raising for the bridge lights a little more than a year ago. Anyone know how close they are to funding it? They needed 8 million and the goal was to have it lit up by the balboa park centennial in 2015. It seems like a small thing but I really think the lights would be a step in giving the bridge and city another identifying mark to it. I like the choice they went with...:tup:

dales5050 Jan 13, 2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prahaboheme (Post 6401584)
Hopefully whatever replaces NBC will have good street interaction and roll into Horton Plaza. This is no doubt a loss for downtown San Diego, but it can still be redeveloped into a more pedestrian friendly stretch given it's fantastic location.

I think with the new park that's going in this will at the end of the day be an improvement.

Puzzlecraft Jan 13, 2014 6:43 PM

San Diego & Airport Dec 24, 2013

I recently traveled east during the holidays and snapped this picture of San Diego. What this picture brings to me is just how large the airport is compared to the high-rise section of downtown San Diego.

I know the airport isn't moving anytime soon, if ever, but that airport land is sure a massive development begging to happen!

http://www.custompuzzlecraft.com/San...o_20131224.jpg

tyleraf Jan 13, 2014 7:10 PM

Puzzlecraft:The port is considering moving the airport, from what I've read.

Derek Jan 13, 2014 7:11 PM

Imagine Coronado with more mid-rises....:slob:

tyleraf Jan 13, 2014 7:17 PM

Yes Please!!!

Puzzlecraft Jan 13, 2014 7:30 PM

One more shot of San Diego

This shot is more expansive, giving another perspective on the land taken up by the airport as well as a lot more. These shots are hard to get as usually there is at least some marine layer in the morning.

http://www.custompuzzlecraft.com/San..._20131224b.jpg

tyleraf Jan 13, 2014 9:21 PM

Beautiful pics Puzzlecraft! Do you have a larger version of that shot that you could link to?

spoonman Jan 14, 2014 6:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6404821)
Puzzlecraft:The port is considering moving the airport, from what I've read.

Do you have a source for this? Historically this has been discussed, but as far as I know, this has been dead for a few years.

aerogt3 Jan 14, 2014 9:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzlecraft (Post 6404784)
I know the airport isn't moving anytime soon, if ever, but that airport land is sure a massive development begging to happen!

Yet so much of downtown is vacant dirt and parking lots :(

spoonman Jan 14, 2014 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerogt3 (Post 6405677)
Yet so much of downtown is vacant dirt and parking lots :(

It seems that providing developers large swaths of land generally results in low density developments anyhow.

Prahaboheme Jan 14, 2014 4:22 PM

As fun as a huge skyline would be (and San Diego's isn't that bad given the height restrictions), I'm much more interested in the current wave of infill development going on around the city, led of course by the fantastic developments in North Park...the North Parker, the former Post Office infill project, etc.

If San Diego can get another dozen infill developments over the next 5 years on the same caliber as the Q (quality development by any city's standards), that would be impressive city building.

psychotron Jan 14, 2014 6:04 PM

Fantastic shots Puzzlecraft! This shot really illustrates 2 things for me:

1. How Ballpark Village (and possibly a stadium) will help that massive emptiness.
2. How I desperately dream of a freeway cap to help truly connect Balboa Park with downtown.