SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

PadreHomer Feb 27, 2009 5:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 4112014)
Yes it is the courthouse site. That place has been boarded up for about 3 yrs now.

Anyone heard about this?

http://www.10news.com/news/18787657/detail.html#-

A lot of empty lots in that area. Many proposed East Village condo projects scrapped. The infrastructure that already supports Petco Park is there. Nimbys don't have much to bitch about except for displacing some people and businesses. A possibility?

It would be my dream so there's absolutely no chance.

kpexpress Feb 27, 2009 6:21 AM

Is there any further confirmation that it's the courthouse that is under construction? Cause the activity is not at the block that borders Broadway, its right next to the jail tower. It was my understanding that the courthouse would go between Broadway and E street, not Between E and F.

Marina_Guy Feb 27, 2009 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4112153)
I like the idea; however, I think someone is under-estimating transportation costs. They are assuming the transit element is already there; in fact, they are correct more so than they realize.... it's ontop of the very land they are vetting. In other words, the transit infrastructure would need to be relocated at substantial cost. That includes the transit yard on the mega block and the Trolley line up 12th. In fact, the Trolley line might need to be put under ground.

I would not jump up and down over this 'proposal'... I think it would be sad to see that much land devoted to a stadium that would be used maybe 30 times a year. That East Village land should be devoted to future housing so Downtown can grow the population mass necessary to support more retail. I would be more supportive of an arena that the convention center could use and replace the massively outdated one on Rosecrans. The Chargers should stay at Qualcomm.

kpexpress Feb 27, 2009 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 4113331)
I would not jump up and down over this 'proposal'... I think it would be sad to see that much land devoted to a stadium that would be used maybe 30 times a year. That East Village land should be devoted to future housing so Downtown can grow the population mass necessary to support more retail. I would be more supportive of an arena that the convention center could use and replace the massively outdated one on Rosecrans. The Chargers should stay at Qualcomm.

What exactly is the problem with Qualcomm? I heard someone ranting over problems with it, but can't remember exactly what they were saying....I did say rant.

IconRPCV Feb 27, 2009 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4112996)
Is there any further confirmation that it's the courthouse that is under construction? Cause the activity is not at the block that borders Broadway, its right next to the jail tower. It was my understanding that the courthouse would go between Broadway and E street, not Between E and F.

I looked on the web cam and there is lots of activity at the court site.

Crackertastik Feb 27, 2009 4:15 PM

Two things wrong with Qualcomm really.

1. Is its ability to have the chargers be competitive. This may seem like a joke, but its true. It lacks suites, and as such the chargers do not get revenue most teams do (revenue is shared with the exception of merchandise and suites). The salary cap is $115 million. Apparently the chargers take in right close to that figure. You will notice the chargers never make a splash in Free Agency, and always are about 10 mil below the cap, as they are now.

2. For a game, qualcomm is a fun place. It is loud and all, good view, but everything but that is awful. When it rains, literally buckets fall from the upper levels on top of lower rows. And create little waterfalls and lakes all around the stadium. The concourses are akin to sardine cans. No sightlines, and small. It is tight trying to move around in there. And you miss the game when in it, because it is not open. The bathrooms are circa 70s troughs. The media sections and group sections are in shambles as well. Lacks video screens for fans. And lastly, the part we dont really see, the gut of the stadium is apparently a disaster zone, wires everywhere, and all that jazz.

It just outdated, and lacks things modern stadiums have that make the team competitive in the long run, and the fans go to the game rather than watch it on their hd televisions.

eburress Feb 27, 2009 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3782048)
EXACTLY this is what I have been saying all along and why I will vote no on the HSR proposition

They took the San Diego route out of the first phase and put wording in the plan that SD and Sac lines are dependant on the "profitability" of the LA-SF line.

What a joke. They just want to string us along so OUR tax money will bennefit LA and SF, it's not right

If they are going to collect taxes from SD and Sacramento residents and NOT use our money to build anything here they can go to hell.

Why should WE contribute our hard earned funds for a project that will bennefit LA and SF and have our turn not even be guaranteed

Hell, I would rather pay taxes to get the library off the ground than to beef up infrastructure that won't even be part of SD County

RIP OFF!!

All very true, and when you consider the fact that HSR is FAR from this city's most pressing need (e.g., an airport), it makes it all the more ridiculous.

bmfarley Feb 27, 2009 6:08 PM

News Flash: California Proposition 1A passed in November 2008. The High-Speed Rail bond measure was approved.

Yes, the first phase does not include links to San Diego or Sacramento; it's a very big project... the largest in state history. The first phase links SF to LA.

That said, when the first phase comes online the communities along that line will have an commercial and economic advantage over those that do not. San Diego and Sacramento will be at a disadvantage. Imo, the sooner San Diego gets its leg online the better off the region will be from many perspectives; the local economy is just one.

Concerning airport vs high speed rail priorities... considering that there is no airport runway expansion project... there is essentially no project to prioritize over HSR.

The airport terminal/gate expansion is nice for the sake of meeting future demand; however, HSR is an eventuality that is likely here before the airport reaches capacity. Additionally, HSR will reduce demand for terminals/gates... and push back the eventual date the airport reaches capacity. HSR is better than flying for short-distance flights (200-500 miles or so). That is true across the whole planet.

staplesla Feb 28, 2009 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4113728)
News Flash: California Proposition 1A passed in November 2008. The High-Speed Rail bond measure was approved.

Yes, the first phase does not include links to San Diego or Sacramento; it's a very big project... the largest in state history. The first phase links SF to LA.

You guys are commenting on misinformation. Prop 1 was changed to Prop 1A (the version voted for approval) which amended the top funding priority route of LA-SF to instead allow all high-speed rail corridors to compete for the 9 billion. My spouse is the project manager for the SD-Inland Empire route and believes they may get approval first because this line will cost less. Until there is a final announcement it is fruitless to comment on the LA-SF line as being the "priority."

IconRPCV Feb 28, 2009 8:49 PM

It would be great if the SD-IE-LA route was the first as I commute along the 15 and live downtown and would use the route daily. (I will probably be retired before it is up and running though) This route makes the most sense because people would really use it and it would relieve congestion on overburdened freeways. An LA-SF route would be mostly a novelty that tourists would use. The air corridor is so efficient and cheap I don"t really see people prefering the train IMO.

bmfarley Mar 1, 2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 4114594)
You guys are commenting on misinformation. Prop 1 was changed to Prop 1A (the version voted for approval) which amended the top funding priority route of LA-SF to instead allow all high-speed rail corridors to compete for the 9 billion. My spouse is the project manager for the SD-Inland Empire route and believes they may get approval first because this line will cost less. Until there is a final announcement it is fruitless to comment on the LA-SF line as being the "priority."

Indeed, you are correct. My bad. I mistook CHSRA comments pertaining to their emphasis will LA-SF as being embedded in 1A. It's not.

Are you aware of an jurisdictions or elected officials pushing the LA-SD line to be expedited.. or even made any comments about facilitating efforts on behalf of the CHSRA? Or even a single station on the line?

Other than Sanders/Peace pushing the transit hub at Lindbergh and using the possibility of an HSR station there to support the argument... I've seen zero. I think that is telling and is indicative of what phases of HSR will move forward first.

staplesla Mar 1, 2009 1:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4115860)
Indeed, you are correct. My bad. I mistook CHSRA comments pertaining to their emphasis will LA-SF as being embedded in 1A. It's not.

Are you aware of an jurisdictions or elected officials pushing the LA-SD line to be expedited.. or even made any comments about facilitating efforts on behalf of the CHSRA? Or even a single station on the line?

Other than Sanders/Peace pushing the transit hub at Lindbergh and using the possibility of an HSR station there to support the argument... I've seen zero. I think that is telling and is indicative of what phases of HSR will move forward first.

I am aware of stuff but it's only based off of what I hear from my husband through his work. I don't want to comment until his company has made it public. Keep in mind that you aren't really hearing about much TOD in other cities; though I know much is going on behind the scenes.

kpexpress Mar 5, 2009 3:51 PM

Did anyone see this?:

http://www.kpbs.org/news/local;id=14019

The city will get $6.17 million from President Barack Obama's recently approved economic stimulus plan to help those in San Diego at risk of becoming homeless, Mayor Jerry Sanders announced today.

The funds are intended to help those facing economic problems by providing immediate housing assistance, such as short-term rental help, relocation money and to pay for security and utility deposits.

"In these extremely difficult economic times, a growing number of low- income families, those who were struggling to make ends meet even before the downturn, are faced with the very real prospect of becoming homeless," Sanders said.

"These new funds aim to help pull people back from the brink and they are going to be very helpful in preventing additional homelessness in our city," he said.

The city is also slated to get $9.55 million in grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to prevent and address homelessness in San Diego.

The money can be used to provide permanent and transitional housing to the homeless and to fund services such as job training, health care, mental health counseling and child care.

The county is poised to get $1.9 million in federal stimulus money to help families on the brink of homelessness. It will also get about $5.5 million in HUD grants to fight homelessness.

Sanders was joined at a morning news conference by Phillip Mangano, who heads up the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness, and Brian Maienschein, with United Way of San Diego.

Mangano said the federal funding will help San Diego implement its 10- year plan to end chronic homelessness in the city.

It is the most federal funding the region has ever received for homelessness, Mangano said.

"Today's announcement of more funding certainly reminds us that if good intentions, well-meaning programs and humanitarian gestures could end homelessness in a place as hospitable as San Diego, it would have been history decades ago," Mangano said.

"The fact is they don't," he continued. "And that's why a strategic 10-year plan -- a plan that is infused with political will and support and with increased resources -- those are the resources to get the job done."

Maienschein, a former San Diego city councilman, said the money will provide much needed assistance to the less-fortunate and the region's estimated 10,000 homeless people.

"This money will go a long way toward providing the housing and toward providing the services for those who need it the most," he said.

Sanders said the city will work with the United Way and a local commission on homelessness to determine where the federal money is allocated.

kpexpress Mar 6, 2009 4:30 PM

Does anyone know what is going on on 15th street between F and G? It looks like they're doing some facade work on a few buildings there. Some serious scaffolding has gone up there. Anyone? This thread is soooo dead WTF?

bmfarley Mar 6, 2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4126298)
Does anyone know what is going on on 15th street between F and G? It looks like they're doing some facade work on a few buildings there. Some serious scaffolding has gone up there. Anyone? This thread is soooo dead WTF?

What side of 15th is it on? If on east side it could have something to do with this???

16th & G Gateway

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/16&G-CCDC.jpg

kpexpress Mar 6, 2009 10:14 PM

It is on the East side of the street, but it looks less like a demo and more like a restoration going there. I would be shocked if that tower (AVRP) would be going up now in that area.

bmfarley Mar 6, 2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4126906)
It is on the East side of the street, but it looks less like a demo and more like a restoration going there. I would be shocked if that tower (AVRP) would be going up now in that area.

I would agree; shocked. Now is not the time. Additionally, where would they have secured the financing???

As to news.... the biggest thing to hit downtown San Diego in the near future will be high-speed rail... but I seem to be the only one raising the subject. I feel city leadership should begin publicly discussing how to incorporate an HSR station into the fabric of downtown... like many other cities are doing now. San Diego.... could be in denial?

eburress Mar 7, 2009 1:11 AM

^^ Maybe the fact that you're the only one raising the subject says something about folks' interest in HSR.

PadreHomer Mar 7, 2009 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 4127215)
^^ Maybe the fact that you're the only one raising the subject says something about folks' interest in HSR.

Uh yeah. Not that I think our civic leaders are the most competent, but its probably a prudent idea not to waste time on things that won't exist for 30 years.

kpexpress Mar 7, 2009 9:17 AM

HSR is def worth discussing, but when will it actually be planned for downtown SD? I think the next big news that people will be discussing will be the harbor drive bridge being completed, courthouse, lane field, pei cobb (lame design) and navy pier complex. Does anyone have any news on any of the above projects?