SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL Thread: 2021-2022 Season (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239525)

logan5 Jun 20, 2019 6:53 PM

NHL Thread: 2021-2022 Season

I'd say the new season kicks off tomorrow with the draft. Not as exciting this year, but some of these guys are going to turn into superstars. Free agency coming up as well. A chance for teams to turn their fortunes around with a big signing or two.

Calgarian Jun 20, 2019 6:57 PM

Flames need a goalie! Smith did well in the playoffs, and Rittich helped get us there, but will that be enough this season.

Also, sounds like Marner rejected an 8 year, $11M AAV contract hoping for something shorter. My guess is he thinks he can get more money in a few years...

DoubleK Jun 20, 2019 7:01 PM

Kakko or Hughes?

I'm kinda leaning towards Kakko.

logan5 Jun 20, 2019 7:23 PM

Hughes is considered by almost everybody as the best player in the draft. Kakko is a better fit for the Canucks, but we ain't getting him.

There are a lot of US national team development players in the top 10 and top 20 of this draft, which makes me nervous if the Canucks end up drafting Boldy or another player from that team. Some of these guys have been made to look better than they actually are with this all-star team. Maybe we can trade up somehow and get Byram. Probly not though, so it will be a crap shoot picking 10th and hoping to get a star player.

Pavlov Jun 20, 2019 7:35 PM

Hoping to see a blockbuster trade or two this weekend. Come on, Treliving.

Calgarian Jun 20, 2019 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavlov (Post 8611595)
Hoping to see a blockbuster trade or two this weekend. Come on, Treliving.

Hopefully it involves Brodie!

Calgarian Jun 21, 2019 1:42 AM

Edmonton Oilers new Assistant Coach... lol
Video Link

Coldrsx Jun 21, 2019 9:12 PM

I like the passion and tenacity.

Nicko999 Jun 23, 2019 12:18 AM

:(

Darkoshvilli Jun 23, 2019 12:42 AM

Losing more and more interest in my habs. Only so much mediocrity a man can take.

Berklon Jun 23, 2019 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 8613490)
:(

Gonna be a Devils fan now? :haha:

blueandgoldguy Jun 23, 2019 10:47 PM

Still ticked at Chevy for the very poor. return on Trouba, but I am very surprised at the mediocre return for Subban who is still a top-pairing d-man and would still be a #1 on a number of NHL teams. Of course, this will give Nashville cap space to sign Josi and probably bring in another centre like Duchene at $9 - $9.5 million per year.

lol at Dim Jim Benning for his trade yesterday. Sure, Miller is worth a late first given his contract and his likely production (50+ points with more ice time), but the Canucks still have an awful defense and only 4 top-6 proven forwards. That pick is likely to be a lottery pick and it could be a lottery pick the following year as well is the pick is deferred. I guess Jim knows his ass is grass if the Canucks don't make the playoffs yet again so he is making some desperation type moves.

When the Canucks don't make the playoffs next year, he will be gone.

Horus Jun 24, 2019 11:45 AM

Hefty, but necessary, price paid by the Leafs to unload the Marleau contract for the upcoming season.

Obviously Marleau also had a hand in this as he had a full NTC and had to be a part of the process to move him out. I hope he gets his wish and can land with a Pacific division team for the upcoming season.

HomeInMyShoes Jun 24, 2019 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 8613509)
Gonna be a Devils fan now? :haha:

The Devils on paper, if Hall is healthy, look at lot more interesting this week than last week. At least worth watching.

Only 102 more sleeps until the first regular season game.

Calgarian Jun 24, 2019 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 8614203)
Hefty, but necessary, price paid by the Leafs to unload the Marleau contract for the upcoming season.

Obviously Marleau also had a hand in this as he had a full NTC and had to be a part of the process to move him out. I hope he gets his wish and can land with a Pacific division team for the upcoming season.

The leafs can afford to move a pick to free up space, lots of young talent on the team and in the system.

DoubleK Jun 24, 2019 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 8614203)

Toronto is approaching PIT/CHI for dealing away 1st rounders. No pick this year or next year and have yet to win a round in the playoffs. Not much to show for mortgaging the teams future.

Berklon Jun 24, 2019 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleK (Post 8614574)
Toronto is approaching PIT/CHI for dealing away 1st rounders. No pick this year or next year and have yet to win a round in the playoffs. Not much to show for mortgaging the teams future.

Draft Schmaft ;)

Yea, I'm not huge on dumping 1st rounders - but if you can't keep the current talent you have in order to make the playoffs and try to get out of the first round - then those 1st rounders aren't going to help you anyway unless they're very high picks that will land you a Jack Hughes type player.

The Leafs still have some good talent on the farm, and plus their picks are low 1st rounders anyway. They could just as easily draft/develop someone in the later rounds who will turn out great.

Pittsburgh and Chicago are much older teams - so they're more in need of draft picks to rebuild.

logan5 Jun 24, 2019 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 8613976)
Still ticked at Chevy for the very poor. return on Trouba, but I am very surprised at the mediocre return for Subban who is still a top-pairing d-man and would still be a #1 on a number of NHL teams. Of course, this will give Nashville cap space to sign Josi and probably bring in another centre like Duchene at $9 - $9.5 million per year.

lol at Dim Jim Benning for his trade yesterday. Sure, Miller is worth a late first given his contract and his likely production (50+ points with more ice time), but the Canucks still have an awful defense and only 4 top-6 proven forwards. That pick is likely to be a lottery pick and it could be a lottery pick the following year as well is the pick is deferred. I guess Jim knows his ass is grass if the Canucks don't make the playoffs yet again so he is making some desperation type moves.

When the Canucks don't make the playoffs next year, he will be gone.

There should be more offensive production from the Canucks this year with the addition of Miller and Hughes, who will be an impact player immediately. Plus Pettersson and Boeser will likely have improved. Pettersson will likely be a top 5 scorer. That should boost the Canucks into play-off contention. If not this year then certainly next year. If we sign Tyler Myers or similar, the Canucks D doesn't look half bad with Edler re-signed and Hughes coming in.

blueandgoldguy Jun 24, 2019 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logan5 (Post 8614670)
There should be more offensive production from the Canucks this year with the addition of Miller and Hughes, who will be an impact player immediately. Plus Pettersson and Boeser will likely have improved. Pettersson will likely be a top 5 scorer. That should boost the Canucks into play-off contention. If not this year then certainly next year. If we sign Tyler Myers or similar, the Canucks D doesn't look half bad with Edler re-signed and Hughes coming in.

It depends what you mean by impact player in Hughes. Personally, I don't think it will be enough. If the Canucks miss the playoffs, Jim is gone.

blueandgoldguy Jun 24, 2019 9:08 PM

Hearing Myers may sign for $7.5 million or more per year! Do it Jim. It will make for some great lols.