SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

thenoflyzone Jan 26, 2023 7:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manny_santos (Post 9848822)
I just noticed this thread is now on page 747.

And now it isn’t ! You squeezed in your post just in the nick of time !

Seems we failed to notice 707, 717, 727 and 737 recently as well.

Dominion301 Jan 26, 2023 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9848764)
AC swapping their second YVR slot with OS, and retiming their remaining YVR-LHR flight with AA.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...R-AC-to-OS.jpg

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...-Time-Swap.jpg

So does that mean AC are leasing out the 2nd YVR/western slot to AA? Without the boxes ticked, it's tough to understand if it's only swaps of slot times or an actual AC's leasing out another LHR slot?

thenoflyzone Jan 26, 2023 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9849636)
So does that mean AC are leasing out the 2nd YVR/western slot to AA? Without the boxes ticked, it's tough to understand if it's only swaps of slot times or an actual AC's leasing out another LHR slot?

Both transactions are swaps.

AC gave their 13h20 AC862 arrival slot to OS, and got a 22h00 arrival slot instead. Same thing with the departure slot for AC863. (14h05 vs 22h05 departure)

They will most likely not use the 22h00 arrival and 22h05 departure slot and lease it out to someone. That’s the bit that is not listed.

The swap with AA is for AC’s remaining LHR-YVR flight. (AC861)

nname Jan 27, 2023 6:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9850139)
Both transactions are swaps.

AC gave their 13h20 AC862 arrival slot to OS, and got a 22h00 arrival slot instead. Same thing with the departure slot for AC863. (14h05 vs 22h05 departure)

They will most likely not use the 22h00 arrival and 22h05 departure slot and lease it out to someone. That’s the bit that is not listed.

The swap with AA is for AC’s remaining LHR-YVR flight. (AC861)

Well, YHZ-LHR arrives at 2100, so they'll probably use the 2205 slot for the return flight. Arrival at YHZ at close to 1am may not be ideal, but better than having the plane sit at LHR for 15 hours?

If they made the change, that gives him a 2200 arrival and 1240 departure... not sure if they can swap with some of the YVR/YYC/YYZ/YUL flight to reduce the time the plane have to sit at LHR. Last time I checked all the LHR flights, AC wasted almost a widebody a day waiting for the departure slot at LHR.

Dominion301 Jan 27, 2023 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9850139)
Both transactions are swaps.

AC gave their 13h20 AC862 arrival slot to OS, and got a 22h00 arrival slot instead. Same thing with the departure slot for AC863. (14h05 vs 22h05 departure)

They will most likely not use the 22h00 arrival and 22h05 departure slot and lease it out to someone. That’s the bit that is not listed.

The swap with AA is for AC’s remaining LHR-YVR flight. (AC861)

Thanks for the explanation. I think that would make 3 leased out LHR slots for AC. One long-term to UA, the YOW slot and now the 4th YVR slot.

Calfan12 Jan 27, 2023 4:23 PM

It looks like WestJet added St.Johns YYT to Tampa Bay TPA 1x weekly for Spring 2023 & operating on Sundays from March 19- April 23.
_________________________________________________________________
WESTJET RESUMES ST. JOHN’S NFLD – TAMPA SERVICE IN SPRING 2023

WestJet in Spring 2023 plans to resume St. John’s NFLD – Tampa nonstop service, after hiatus for nearly 3 years. From 19MAR23 to 23APR23, the airline’s Boeing 737 MAX 8 will operate one weekly flight, switching to 737-800 from 02APR23.

Following schedule is effective 02APR23.

WS1037 YYT0800 – 1402TPA 73H 7
WS1976 TPA1455 – 1831YYT 73H 7

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230127-wstpa

whatnext Jan 27, 2023 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfan12 (Post 9850722)
It looks like WestJet added St.Johns YYT to Tampa Bay TPA 1x weekly for Spring 2023 & operating on Sundays from March 19- April 23.
_________________________________________________________________
WESTJET RESUMES ST. JOHN’S NFLD – TAMPA SERVICE IN SPRING 2023

WestJet in Spring 2023 plans to resume St. John’s NFLD – Tampa nonstop service, after hiatus for nearly 3 years. From 19MAR23 to 23APR23, the airline’s Boeing 737 MAX 8 will operate one weekly flight, switching to 737-800 from 02APR23.

Following schedule is effective 02APR23.

WS1037 YYT0800 – 1402TPA 73H 7
WS1976 TPA1455 – 1831YYT 73H 7

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230127-wstpa

I thought they were focusing on Calgary? :shrug:

hollywoodcory Jan 27, 2023 5:53 PM

WS YYT-TPA was announced when they announced their winter schedule back in August. It isn’t a new add.

LO 044 Jan 27, 2023 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 9850796)
I thought they were focusing on Calgary? :shrug:

Maybe WS should paint one of their 737 tails with this emoji lol. :shrug:

thenoflyzone Jan 28, 2023 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9850404)
Well, YHZ-LHR arrives at 2100, so they'll probably use the 2205 slot for the return flight. Arrival at YHZ at close to 1am may not be ideal, but better than having the plane sit at LHR for 15 hours?

If they made the change, that gives him a 2200 arrival and 1240 departure... not sure if they can swap with some of the YVR/YYC/YYZ/YUL flight to reduce the time the plane have to sit at LHR. Last time I checked all the LHR flights, AC wasted almost a widebody a day waiting for the departure slot at LHR.

I don’t think so. AC is actually retaking this 22h00-22h05 slot pair. They acquired the slots from a trade with UA in early November and quickly traded it to OS the same month. Now in January, it seems AC changed their minds are retook those late night slots from OS. Chances are they will give it back to UA.

Here are the trades in question from early November.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...R-AC-to-UA.jpg

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...R-OS-to-AC.jpg

thenoflyzone Jan 28, 2023 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9845108)
YWG will probably stay in 6th in 2022

Looks like you are right.

https://www.waa.ca/en/newsroom/view/...uring-q4-2022/

2022 total: 3,031,113 +147.8%

Almost a third of that number was in Q4 alone.

Dominion301 Jan 29, 2023 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9851719)
Looks like you are right.

https://www.waa.ca/en/newsroom/view/...uring-q4-2022/

2022 total: 3,031,113 +147.8%

Almost a third of that number was in Q4 alone.

Yep indeed. However, by November YOW had narrowed the gap to 1,100 pax and in December for the first time YOW was higher than YWG and by a pretty significant margin of around 23,000.

As can be seen, YOW is trending towards returning to its traditional 6th place spot by the end of 2023. AC boosted YOW slightly a couple of weeks ago by adding a 12th YYZ, so getting closer to hourly service...pretty much a capacity equivalent of last summer’s YEG.

casper Jan 29, 2023 7:50 PM

The Horizon Air (Alaska Airlines) Q400 was the backbone of Alaska Airlines airlines operation into BC. Victoria, Vancouver would get regular service multiple times a day using the Q400. Now they are all gone and Alaska Airlines is an all jet airline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUzHiQ7Yop4

YYCguys Jan 30, 2023 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9852120)
The Horizon Air (Alaska Airlines) Q400 was the backbone of Alaska Airlines airlines operation into BC. Victoria, Vancouver would get regular service multiple times a day using the Q400. Now they are all gone and Alaska Airlines is an all jet airline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUzHiQ7Yop4

Is there enough business for them to continue to operate into BC with the jet service?

casper Jan 30, 2023 3:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 9852283)
Is there enough business for them to continue to operate into BC with the jet service?

Well the Embrear has around the same number of seats.

Victoria is now getting a daily Embrear 175 with 76 seats. Pre-COIVD we were getting at least 2 Dash-8s and Delta was also running an Embraer. Delta has not returned yet.

From Seattle, Vancouver was getting multiple Dash-8s per day, sometimes an Embrear and usually a late evening 737. There may have been the odd flight from Portland as well, I don't remember.

Kelowna was also getting a Dash-8 and now it is the Embrear.

I think they will be ok. Having more than once a day would be nice to have.

thenoflyzone Jan 30, 2023 8:57 AM

Horizon is going after economies of scale. Single aircraft type, therefore one less pilot pool to train, one less aircraft type to maintain, etc, etc. It makes sense. Plus Americans dont like to fly on props. The E175 is more comfortable, less noisy and faster, which are all benefits for a US carrier.

On a more specific level however, such as for YVR-SEA, YYJ-SEA, or even YYC/YEG-SEA (dont know if Horizon flies there with the Q or not, but if they do....) for sure costs will go up, as the E175 cannot match the Q400's cost advantage over shorter segments.

On a 350 nm segment, the Q400 has about a 30-40% advantage in terms of fuel burn per seat versus the E175. In fact, you need to go up to routes longer than 450 nm to see the E175 edge out the Q400 on cost effectiveness.

So, overall, its a smart decision by Horizon, but for these very short hops, they will definately have costs go up.

MonctonRad Jan 30, 2023 7:39 PM

Westjet cancels flights between Halifax and Europe for summer 2023
Airline mulling bringing transatlantic flights from the city back in 2024
Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Jan 30, 2023 2:31 PM AST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...rope-1.6730733

This is getting concerning. Both Air Canada and WestJet are retrenching and decreasing service to Atlantic Canadian cities. For WestJet, this is a near complete pullout (except for Halifax and one measly 3x weekly service from Moncton to Pearson). For Air Canada, capacity has remained about the same, but service frequency has dropped as more mid sized jets are used to service the market. Some routes have been lost (like Moncton/Ottawa). Porter and PAL are picking up some of the slack, but not enough. Add to this the woes of Sunwing, and it almost seems like the region is suffering a partial abandonment by the national carriers. :(

Hali87 Jan 30, 2023 10:00 PM

Yeah it's unfortunate. It's pretty wild, in retrospect, that all those transatlantic routes were WestJet. As the article mentions, there are still nonstop flights from YHZ to Heathrow (AC) and Frankfurt (Condor and another European carrier), although these tend to be 1.5-2x more expensive on average than the WestJet routes were (Gatwick, CDG, Glasgow, Dublin).

It seemed like those Europe-to-YHZ WestJet routes were popular with people fleeing Ukraine last spring/summer, which might be part of why they didn't cancel them sooner.

The flip side is that PAL and Porter do have potential to expand regional service here (and they don't really operate in Western Canada, which is WestJet's base), and YHZ flight options within North America are better than they used to be due to competition (and new routes) from Flair, Swoop, etc.

thenoflyzone Jan 30, 2023 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9852850)
Westjet cancels flights between Halifax and Europe for summer 2023
Airline mulling bringing transatlantic flights from the city back in 2024
Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Jan 30, 2023 2:31 PM AST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...rope-1.6730733

This is getting concerning. Both Air Canada and WestJet are retrenching and decreasing service to Atlantic Canadian cities. For WestJet, this is a near complete pullout (except for Halifax and one measly 3x weekly service from Moncton to Pearson). For Air Canada, capacity has remained about the same, but service frequency has dropped as more mid sized jets are used to service the market. Some routes have been lost (like Moncton/Ottawa). Porter and PAL are picking up some of the slack, but not enough. Add to this the woes of Sunwing, and it almost seems like the region is suffering a partial abandonment by the national carriers. :(

Was front and center on CBC News a couple of hours ago, taking up half the page....lol...

Must be a slow news day.

WS is saying they're thinking of bringing the flights back in S24. Might be a load of bull, but we shall see in due course.

whatnext Jan 30, 2023 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9852850)
Westjet cancels flights between Halifax and Europe for summer 2023
Airline mulling bringing transatlantic flights from the city back in 2024
Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Jan 30, 2023 2:31 PM AST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...rope-1.6730733

This is getting concerning. Both Air Canada and WestJet are retrenching and decreasing service to Atlantic Canadian cities. For WestJet, this is a near complete pullout (except for Halifax and one measly 3x weekly service from Moncton to Pearson). For Air Canada, capacity has remained about the same, but service frequency has dropped as more mid sized jets are used to service the market. Some routes have been lost (like Moncton/Ottawa). Porter and PAL are picking up some of the slack, but not enough. Add to this the woes of Sunwing, and it almost seems like the region is suffering a partial abandonment by the national carriers. :(

It would be really interesting to be a fly on the WS boardroom wall of late.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.