SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

thurmas Aug 19, 2020 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9014914)
@michaelgrange

Game 1 vs. Nets was the most-watched @Raptors first-round game ever on @Sportsnet and drew 34% more viewers than Game 1 vs. Orlando last year. Average audience of 1.05 million and reached 2.5-million Canadians overall. Canada loves them some 'bubble' Raps, clearly.

Not surprising with the Leafs quick exit from the playoffs, the Raptors being a very good team and defending champs and the Blue Jays playing like crap and CFL cancelled this year. What I do find anecdotally interesting is the amount of young families in Winnipeg where I live, now so many homes have basketball nets up and so many more kids play basketball than a few years ago and in that same time span I rarely if ever now see kids playing street hokey anymore. It could be a blip like in the early 90's when baseball was huge in Canada from the Jays being back to back world champs and then it died off as the decade progressed and the Expos moved to D.C. or it could be a thing that sticks around for some time who knows at this point.

JHikka Aug 24, 2020 10:29 PM

Via Tom Mayenknecht:

150 pts &100 off the bench are not the only impressive numbers from last night’s @Raptors series-clincher over @BrooklynNets. Game 4 was most-watched 1st-round NBA playoff game ever in Canada, with 1.3M average national audience. Up 67% over last year. Aggregate = 3.2M Canadians.

https://twitter.com/TheSportMarket/s...033798144?s=19

--------

How is Canadian Soccer doing on TV (CBC Aug 15 and TSN on Aug18,21 )? Here are some numbers for. @CanPl vs. @MLS based on AMA (Average Minute Audience 2+).

York9-AtleticO (not live): 64,000;
HFX-Pacific: 86,000
TFC-Whitecaps#1: 95,800
TFC-Whitec.#2: 88,100.

https://twitter.com/KRunitedMedia/st...064127488?s=20

thurmas Aug 24, 2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9020910)
Via Tom Mayenknecht:

150 pts &100 off the bench are not the only impressive numbers from last night’s @Raptors series-clincher over @BrooklynNets. Game 4 was most-watched 1st-round NBA playoff game ever in Canada, with 1.3M average national audience. Up 67% over last year. Aggregate = 3.2M Canadians.

https://twitter.com/TheSportMarket/s...033798144?s=19

--------

How is Canadian Soccer doing on TV (CBC Aug 15 and TSN on Aug18,21 )? Here are some numbers for. @CanPl vs. @MLS based on AMA (Average Minute Audience 2+).

https://twitter.com/KRunitedMedia/st...064127488?s=20

Interesting as NBA playoff ratings in the U.S. are down 30% this year. Raptors success and Leafs continued lack of success seems to accelerate the decline of Hockey popularity in the GTA.

TorontoDrew Aug 25, 2020 12:21 AM

GTA millenials and younger are NBA fans over NHL. MLB was making here but then we lost all of our fun and cool players. I remember 5 years ago so many little kids dressing like Bautista for Halloween.

elly63 Aug 25, 2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9020974)
Interesting as NBA playoff ratings in the U.S. are down 30% this year. Raptors success and Leafs continued lack of success seems to accelerate the decline of Hockey popularity in the GTA.

I haven't looked at any statistical evidence to confirm but I'm seeing lots and lots of video headlines about the NBA crashing and burning. They may be losing middle America, so the Raptors may be the kings of a dying kingdom (not helped by the radicalization of ESPN). People want to watch sports to get away from that.

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9021067)
I haven't looked at any statistical evidence to confirm but I'm seeing lots and lots of video headlines about the NBA crashing and burning. They are losing middle America, so the Raptors may be the kings of a dying kingdom (not helped by the radicalization of ESPN). People want to watch sports to get away from that.

Any examples of the radicalization of ESPN?

elly63 Aug 25, 2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9020910)

Is it just me, or is that really shouting something. TFC vs the other Canadian teams used to be a good draw

elly63 Aug 25, 2020 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9021069)
Any examples of the radicalization of ESPN?

How a Weakened ESPN Became Consumed by Politics
Wall Street Journal May 24, 2018

ESPN has tried to focus more on sports, but that changed with George Floyd
Ben Strauss Washington Post June 6, 2020

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9021073)
Is it just me, or is that really shouting something. TFC vs the other Canadian teams used to be a good draw

Not that I recall.

TFC has always struggled to get good TV ratings and you might remember that their fans on here would say that it's because their audience is so tech-savvy that they all stream the games - in (allegedly) hugely disproportionate shares compared to any other team.

But in terms of eyeballs in front of TV screens, Vancouver has more viewers than Toronto (certainly relative to the size of the market), and of course Montreal does as well.

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9021077)

Thanks.

elly63 Aug 25, 2020 1:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9021078)
Not that I recall.

TFC has always struggled to get good TV ratings and you might remember that their fans on here would say that it's because their audience is so tech-savvy that they all stream the games - in (allegedly) hugely disproportionate shares compared to any other team.

But in terms of eyeballs in front of TV screens, Vancouver has more viewers than Toronto (certainly relative to the size of the market), and of course Montreal does as well.

I guess what I meant by good draw was not so much the rating itself but the rating vs even worse ratings vs US teams. I seem to recall ratings were better in the early days on CBC and the Caps always outrated TFC, the rating really tanked when they went to TSN. One season TFC had 38k and TSN was talking about cancelling the contract. I think during the championship season they got to a high of 98k (season average) which is still pretty abysmal.

They used to publish the weekly sports ratings and stop at 100k. TFC rarely made the list, Vancouver would be near the bottom but what intrigues me is the proximity of CPL to the TFC ratings. What does that say?

thurmas Aug 25, 2020 1:01 AM

Anyone know if boxing is back on in Montreal these days or is it just the TopRank and PBC fights on ESPN and FOX out of the U.S. still?

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9021096)
Anyone know if boxing is back on in Montreal these days or is it just the TopRank and PBC fights on ESPN and FOX out of the U.S. still?

They are all still shut down. I don't follow boxing but I did see Yvon Michel of GYM (Groupe Yvon Michel) on the news recently complaining about it. His protégés are fighting in the U.S.

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 1:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9021094)
I guess what I meant by good draw was not so much the rating itself but the rating vs even worse ratings vs US teams. I seem to recall ratings were better in the early days on CBC and the Caps always outrated TFC, the rating really tanked when they went to TSN. One season TFC had 38k and TSN was talking about cancelling the contract. I think during the championship season they got to a high of 98k (season average) which is still pretty abysmal.

They used to publish the weekly sports ratings and stop at 100k. TFC rarely made the list, Vancouver would be near the bottom but what intrigues me is the proximity of CPL to the TFC ratings. What does that say?

I believe the Whitecaps are generally in the 75-100k range, and TFC are below that.

L'Impact are generally in the 175-200k range.

All of this pre-COVID of course.

thurmas Aug 25, 2020 1:10 AM

Yeah I am a big boxing fan I love how Montreal respects the sweet science and is such a great fight town. GGG and Lomachenko are my favorite fighters these days.

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9021103)
Yeah I am a big boxing fan I love how Montreal respects the sweet science and is such a great fight town. GGG and Lomachenko are my favorite fighters these days.

I'd wager Quebec is one of the rare places in North America these days where there is an appreciable amount of water cooler talk about boxing.

It's not ubiquitous by any stretch, but I hear it at the office, at kids' activities when dads are hanging out, etc.

thurmas Aug 25, 2020 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9021127)
I'd wager Quebec is one of the rare places in North America these days where there is an appreciable amount of water cooler talk about boxing.

It's not ubiquitous by any stretch, but I hear it at the office, at kids' activities when dads are hanging out, etc.

It is big in Cali with the huge Latino population and New York with the rich boxing history and large Latino population as well. Boxing outside North America is probably at one of its healthiest states it has been in in many many years. In the UK, Germany and especially Russia and the former Warsaw pact countries boxing is huge where they have been able to sell out fights at Wembley Stadium in London and we all know in the Philippines how big the sport is there due to Pacquiao being almost a God there.

elly63 Aug 25, 2020 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9021135)
It is big in Cali with the huge Latino population

This Maritimer made a career out of beating up Mexicans in Los Angeles. And he did it with an unknown (to him) debilitating illness. I was able to download the doc for my collection but don't see it on the web now. Any howser the trailer is linked.

BTW the voices on this trailer are the actual ring announcers and TV commentators, they aren't dubbed script for the movie by a narrator.

thurmas Aug 25, 2020 2:29 AM

Canada has a very rich history of great fighters that goes unnoticed at times which is sad from Sam Langford maybe one of the greatest fighters of any era, Lennox Lewis, Donovan Razor Ruddock, Donny Lalonde who almost beat Sugar Ray Leonard in his prime for the championship in 1988, Arturo Gatti, Jean Pascal, Tommy Burns, George Chuvalo, the Hilton Brothers.

Mister F Aug 25, 2020 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9021078)
Not that I recall.

Toronto sports fans can be a fickle bunch. A few years ago it was trendy to be a TFC fan. Now it's the Raptors. Who knows who it'll be in 5 years.

JHikka Aug 25, 2020 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9021094)

If anything I think it shows that the CPL crowd is more motivated and galvanized at this stage. The MLS games are mostly pointless aside from a Canadian Championship qualifying with the MLS season jumping between different formats and places. CPL has a set tournament style that's pretty easy to follow.

It also should be noted that CBC is more accessible than TSN when comparing the two.

TFC games versus MTL/VAN aren't really competitive. I don't blame people for not tuning in. The CPL winner versus (probably) TFC will be fun, though.

VANRIDERFAN Aug 25, 2020 4:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9021256)
If anything I think it shows that the CPL crowd is more motivated and galvanized at this stage. The MLS games are mostly pointless aside from a Canadian Championship qualifying with the MLS season jumping between different formats and places. CPL has a set tournament style that's pretty easy to follow.

It also should be noted that CBC is more accessible than TSN when comparing the two.

TFC games versus MTL/VAN aren't really competitive. I don't blame people for not tuning in. The CPL winner versus (probably) TFC will be fun, though.

This.
I've been saying for years that one of the reasons why CFL viewership has dropped is due to the exclusive TSN control and its limited reach.

Wouldn't it be nice if CPL was more popular in Canada than MLS and its Van/Mtl/Tor crying to be let in?
Dare to dream.

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9021256)

What do you mean by "not really competitive"?

JHikka Aug 25, 2020 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9021350)
What do you mean by "not really competitive"?

TFC is the best Canadian team by quite a fair margin. They shouldn't have much issue with either Impact or Whitecaps. TFC likely playing the CPL winner will make for the best viewing this season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN
Wouldn't it be nice if CPL was more popular in Canada than MLS and its Van/Mtl/Tor crying to be let in?

This isn't conceivable since MLS teams are single entity and owned through MLS. The teams would sooner be re-sold and moved to the US - AFAIK they cannot be transferred to a different league.

Either way, MLS teams would not benefit from moving from MLS to CPL as things currently stand. CPL would have to become wildly popular and MLS would need a significant decline for this scenario to make any sense whatsoever.

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9021680)
TFC is the best Canadian team by quite a fair margin. They shouldn't have much issue with either Impact or Whitecaps. TFC likely playing the CPL winner will make for the best viewing this season.

I don't know what is meant by this. Any given team can beat any other team at any time. MLS is not that unbalanced a league.

Yes, I realize that TFC are having a decent run right now.

elly63 Aug 25, 2020 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9021680)
This isn't conceivable since MLS teams are single entity and owned through MLS. The teams would sooner be re-sold and moved to the US.

AFAIK the three teams are sanctioned by the CSA yearly, it would be interesting if they ever didn't sanction the teams, not likely, but IIRC Montagliani did proffer a mild threat concerning the ratio (or lack thereof) of Canadian players.

elly63 Aug 25, 2020 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9021260)
This.
I've been saying for years that one of the reasons why CFL viewership has dropped is due to the exclusive TSN control and its limited reach.

Dare to dream.

Even at the best of times cable TV had a 20% lesser reach than OTA. Factor in cord cutting and cord nevers and the discrepancy is only growing.

It could conceivably happen that the CPL could become more popular than MLS (we have to distinguish between popularity and financial value).

Aside from each team's own area, what cross Canada support/appeal does MLS have? They are in a conundrum where there are at the same time too few and too many teams. While you can arguably make the case that both the NHL and CFL have a "Canada's team" and by default so are the Jays and Raps, MLS lacks this dynamic. TFC at best could capture the huge GTA market but they've already grabbed the brass ring and attendance started to decrease right after they won. IMO the honeymoon is over for MLS in Canada, you might see a surge if either Montreal or Vancouver are close to the prize but I really don't see where the growth will come from in Canada.

isaidso Aug 25, 2020 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9021260)
This.

Agree. There was a good 10-12 year stretch where I had no access to CFL at all but could watch all the US football I wanted. I had no interest in any of the other programming which came with those cable packages so I would have, essentially, been paying $40/month or $480 annually just to get CFL games.

I eventually moved into a condo building which came with cable. I started watching CFL again but lots of people likely moved over to the NFL/NCAA when it moved to TSN. I know 'football' people in Toronto who've never watched a CFL game and would have trouble naming all the teams.

Acajack Aug 25, 2020 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9022019)
While you can arguably make the case that both the NHL and CFL have a "Canada's team" and by default so are the Jays and Raps, MLS lacks this dynamic. .

I'd curious as to which teams you think are Canada's teams in the CFL and NHL.

Hackslack Aug 25, 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9022094)
I'd curious as to which teams you think are Canada's teams in the CFL and NHL.

Coming from a resident of Calgary.... Stamps and Flames

VANRIDERFAN Aug 26, 2020 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 9022053)
Agree. There was a good 10-12 year stretch where I had no access to CFL at all but could watch all the US football I wanted. I had no interest in any of the other programming which came with those cable packages so I would have, essentially, been paying $40/month or $480 annually just to get CFL games.

I eventually moved into a condo building which came with cable. I started watching CFL again but lots of people likely moved over to the NFL/NCAA when it moved to TSN. I know 'football' people in Toronto who've never watched a CFL game and would have trouble naming all the teams.

The more I look at the men (there're all men) who make the decisions in the CFL the more I'm convinced they are obtuse idiots when comes to making smart decisions on marketing and broadcasting the best game of gridiron football on the planet.

JHikka Aug 26, 2020 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9021988)
AFAIK the three teams are sanctioned by the CSA yearly, it would be interesting if they ever didn't sanction the teams, not likely, but IIRC Montagliani did proffer a mild threat concerning the ratio (or lack thereof) of Canadian players.

That was a slight strong-arm move from Montagliani using the CONCACAF logo in his signature to bully MLS to update their player ratios and classification which was 100% justified given how Canadians were treated by MLS franchises. I don't think any of the MLS teams in Canada were at any threat of removal or relocation over this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack
I don't know what is meant by this. Any given team can beat any other team at any time. MLS is not that unbalanced a league.

All i'm saying is that TFC games against VAN/MTL aren't all that compelling because they're more-or-less expected to win. CPL games are pretty parity-driven aside from Calgary or Hamilton matches. There's obviously still parity in MLS matches but just looking on paper TFC shouldn't be having any issues with the other two Canadian teams as things currently stand.

JHikka Aug 26, 2020 9:32 PM

Slightly OT for this thread, but:

https://mediaprocanada.tv/en/news/ca...orts_in_the_us

Canadian Premier League's Island Games To Air on Fox Sports in the US

A total of 23 first-stage games will be broadcast across FS2 and Fox Soccer Plus, with live coverage beginning last week. The first game, the fixture between Pacific FC and York9 FC, was the highest-rated program of the day on FS2.

---

Granted, FS2's schedule is filled with a lot of re-runs of borderline niche sports, but still good to see Canadian content broadcasting abroad. The big thing in this agreement is the Caribbean gaining access to CPL matches which is a pretty big market for players and fans. This is in addition to broadcast agreements currently in place for India and parts of Africa for the Island Games.

JHikka Sep 10, 2020 9:08 PM

via @SportsnetPR: Raptors/Celtics games six averaged 1.6M viewers.

---

Raptors second round game 7 last year against Philly had a 2.2M average so we're mostly right in line with last season.

suburbanite Sep 10, 2020 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9038074)
via @SportsnetPR: Raptors/Celtics games six averaged 1.6M viewers.

---

Raptors second round game 7 last year against Philly had a 2.2M average so we're mostly right in line with last season.

Bit lower than I thought they'd be. Friday game tomorrow should get good numbers, but I don't know why the times are switched with the West coast teams playing at 6:30 before Raps/Celts.

JHikka Sep 10, 2020 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9038110)
Bit lower than I thought they'd be. Friday game tomorrow should get good numbers, but I don't know why the times are switched with the West coast teams playing at 6:30 before Raps/Celts.

My first thought was because they were trying to avoid an NFL game Friday night, but Kickoff game is Thursday. Perhaps they're doing it so Jokic fans in Serbia can watch the game at 0:30 instead of 3:00 :)

Berklon Sep 10, 2020 10:57 PM

Are you ready for some footbaaaallll !!!

It's good to have football back - especially with fall-like weather kicking in much earlier than normal.

JHikka Sep 11, 2020 8:30 PM

Last night’s NFL season kickoff game between Kansas City and Houston has set a new record for most-watched Thursday Night Football season opener, attracting an average audience of 904,000 viewers to @CTV and @TSN_Sports, an increase of +15% over last year. https://t.co/3Py7NiWpvg

Via @TSN_PR

Berklon Sep 11, 2020 9:35 PM

Also, "4.5 million unique Canadian viewers tuned in to watch some part of the Chiefs’ 34-20 victory."

Nice, and Thursday nights games aren't generally as liked by NFL fans to begin with for some reason.

I wonder how many were like me and were watching for free with an antenna.

Djeffery Sep 12, 2020 12:05 AM

I wonder how many watched the first few minutes to see if there would be an anthem protest or how an Argos crowd looked in that stadium before moving on to something else.

thurmas Sep 12, 2020 1:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9039131)
Last night’s NFL season kickoff game between Kansas City and Houston has set a new record for most-watched Thursday Night Football season opener, attracting an average audience of 904,000 viewers to @CTV and @TSN_Sports, an increase of +15% over last year. https://t.co/3Py7NiWpvg

Via @TSN_PR

Likely due to a bump in Western Canadian interest with no CFL this year and the labour day classics gone this is the only football to see. In the U.S. the NFL game from last night was down 13% compared to last year. I tried watching a bit of the Chiefs game yesterday but with so few fans allowed into Arrowhead the lack of fan energy without full stands really makes NFL boring to watch and real lack of energy to get excited.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-opener-on-nbc

Acajack Sep 12, 2020 12:42 PM

I guess I can see how posting about NFL ratings is informative and in keeping with the spirit of this thread, but I don't really get why some of the postsare celebratory.

"Woo-hoo! 4 million Canadians watched the final episode of American Idol or Temptation Island! Hooray for us!"

Berklon Sep 12, 2020 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9039610)
I guess I can see how posting about NFL ratings is informative and in keeping with the spirit of this thread, but I don't really get why some of the postsare celebratory.

"Woo-hoo! 4 million Canadians watched the final episode of American Idol or Temptation Island! Hooray for us!"

There's a lot of that in this thread already for other sports/leagues, no?

Acajack Sep 12, 2020 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9039617)
There's a lot of that in this thread already for other sports/leagues, no?

At least in those other cases it's for leagues that have at least one team in Canada. And the ratings people refer to (gloat about) involve those teams.

esquire Sep 12, 2020 4:50 PM

Ratings for damn near everything must be up across the board this year, no? In the past I haven't typically watched much TV apart from Jets and CFL games as well as the news, but I sure as hell have been watching a lot more TV in 2020...

Berklon Sep 12, 2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9039738)
At least in those other cases it's for leagues that have at least one team in Canada. And the ratings people refer to (gloat about) involve those teams.

Why does that matter? I like that something I'm interested in is doing well.

thurmas Sep 13, 2020 2:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9039782)
Ratings for damn near everything must be up across the board this year, no? In the past I haven't typically watched much TV apart from Jets and CFL games as well as the news, but I sure as hell have been watching a lot more TV in 2020...

I have been the opposite I have lost so much interest in sports the past few months with CFL cancelled this year and NHL and NBA playoffs with no fans has been terrible to watch and so much venom in the news day after day, the polarization of social justice issues in sports so much now and the hyper political correctness. I wanted sports as a distraction from the news but it has turned into a political circus. Ratings for team sports are plummeting in the U.S in Canada other than the Raptors playoff run I am not sure any sports have seen a surge in ratings in Canada but the ratings data in Canada is very sporadic.

Acajack Sep 13, 2020 3:05 AM

Quote:

With cooler weatherI think things may be posed to take off in terms of TV sports viewing and the timing for the NFL is optimal for them, but for the NHL in Canada I don't think it was that great as the series involving our teams coincided with nice summertime weather. Now that people might be more interested none of our teams are in it anymore.

esquire Sep 13, 2020 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9040124)
With cooler weatherI think things may be posed to take off in terms of TV sports viewing and the timing for the NFL is optimal for them, but for the NHL in Canada I don't think it was that great as the series involving our teams coincided with nice summertime weather. Now that people might be more interested none of our teams are in it anymore.

Fair enough. Normally there is a noticeable playoff frenzy in Winnipeg but there was nothing of the sort this year. I guess enthusiasm was a bit lower given that it was a bit of a cold start after months of inaction, and there were no get-togethers at bars or street parties. But that said, interest was still generally pretty high...

JHikka Sep 13, 2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

TV was certainly up in the March-May window but I imagine it'd be about the same now as people picked up updoor activities and summer hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack
but for the NHL in Canada I don't think it was that great as the series involving our teams coincided with nice summertime weather. Now that people might be more interested none of our teams are in it anymore.

The NHL can't really control how deep Canadian teams get into the playoffs. In fact, you could argue that the NHL's expanded format for this year's playoffs included more Canadian teams than otherwise would have been included in a normal season.