SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

statbass Feb 6, 2013 5:03 PM

Oops... posted a comment in this thread instead of the correct one - Restaurant thread. It's since been moved.

Arrakis Feb 8, 2013 2:49 PM

The 8 Retailers That Will Close the Most Stores in 2013.

Read this online today. It's more to do with the American chains but may eventually affect the Canadian counterparts of some of them.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/01/...hotoID-5603526

Arrakis Feb 16, 2013 5:09 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...13231276_n.jpg

Was down on Stavanger Drive this morning. Noticed that all of the Zellers signage is now gone on the building that will soon become Target. I wonder if they will build on to the existing building. It's kinda small for a Target store. Lots of land though on the Kent's side to expand if they want. Look forward to seeing how the building will look when its changed over to Target.

statbass Feb 16, 2013 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6017610)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...13231276_n.jpg

Was down on Stavanger Drive this morning. Noticed that all of the Zellers signage is now gone on the building that will soon become Target. I wonder if they will build on to the existing building. It's kinda small for a Target store. Lots of land though on the Kent's side to expand if they want. Look forward to seeing how the building will look when its changed over to Target.

It is pretty small for Target standards; I'd say the building will be expanded.

Arrakis Feb 17, 2013 2:46 PM

Here is a link showing what the first Target store in Canada will look like. This is from the store in the Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga, ON that is due to open this spring I think.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i...service=mobile

PoscStudent Feb 18, 2013 10:01 PM

Water Street Variety, which I've never been into, just reached a deal to become a Bidgoods. So downtown will now have a small grocery store.

Arrakis Feb 18, 2013 11:30 PM

Where specifically is Water Street Variety?
I work downtown and I have never heard of that place. LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 6019738)
Water Street Variety, which I've never been into, just reached a deal to become a Bidgoods. So downtown will now have a small grocery store.

CaspinK Feb 18, 2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6019824)
Where specifically is Water Street Variety?
I work downtown and I have never heard of that place. LOL.

It's what's left of the old Asian Variety Store (although I different owner). It's across from the TD building in what I believe was an old bike shop.

Nice place. My dog and I go into the spot regularly.

Arrakis Feb 19, 2013 12:52 PM

Ahh ic. I havent been up Water Street much since the winter. But I know what place you mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspinK (Post 6019838)
It's what's left of the old Asian Variety Store (although I different owner). It's across from the TD building in what I believe was an old bike shop.

Nice place. My dog and I go into the spot regularly.

JCE Feb 23, 2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6017786)
It is pretty small for Target standards; I'd say the building will be expanded.

Just drove past there and the open parking lot area next to kent where Thomas Amusements used to set up and along the front of the building is fenced in. There are Excavator etc and construction trailers set up. Looks like the expansion/renovations begins.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 24, 2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCE (Post 6026363)
Just drove past there and the open parking lot area next to kent where Thomas Amusements used to set up and along the front of the building is fenced in. There are Excavator etc and construction trailers set up. Looks like the expansion/renovations begins.

Nice! The Zellers that's closing here in Charlottetown is probably half the size of the Stavanger location. It'll probably be the smallest Target store in Atlantic Canada. There isn't any room for expansion considering it's smack in the middle of a shopping mall :haha:

Arrakis Feb 25, 2013 5:50 AM

Yeah I was down that way too and took some pics today. I wonder if they are indeed going to build onto the building?
They also have some construction trailers and lots of fencing around so looks like they may being doing some major renos and stuff before the fall opening.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...02672047_n.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCE (Post 6026363)

statbass Feb 25, 2013 11:57 AM

I was at the Avalon Mall late last week and noticed Please Mum is no longer there. This is the fourth empty space (including The Sony Store, Athletes World, and the new renovated area) at the mall. I hope there will be new and unique stores opening up in these locations.

I also noticed the new Jump+ store will be ready sometime this spring - I think someone may have posted this earlier as well.

jeddy1989 Feb 25, 2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6027936)
I was at the Avalon Mall late last week and noticed Please Mum is no longer there. This is the fourth empty space (including The Sony Store, Athletes World, and the new renovated area) at the mall. I hope there will be new and unique stores opening up in these locations.

I also noticed the new Jump+ store will be ready sometime this spring - I think someone may have posted this earlier as well.

it's weird seeing stores close when they just completely took out a hallway to put in more retail space. It's like there's a shift in the type of stores locating there.

We know that Sony and Athletes world are closing many many stores and are not reflective of their performance in this market

can't wait to see what opens

statbass Feb 25, 2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6027938)
it's weird seeing stores close when they just completely took out a hallway to put in more retail space. It's like there's a shift in the type of stores locating there.

We know that Sony and Athletes world are closing many many stores and are not reflective of their performance in this market

My thoughts exactly. I think the Avalon Mall is trying to attract more boutique style retailers. I don't think Lecoste, Ralph Lauren, or Calvin Klein will be opening up there anytime soon, but I'd expect to see something a little more upscale/trendier coming.

SignalHillHiker Feb 25, 2013 12:12 PM

I hope so too. It'll give the sickening amount of disposable income in this city somewhere to go besides drugs. ;)

Calvin Klein as social work. Who knew...

billy1 Feb 25, 2013 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6026495)
Nice! The Zellers that's closing here in Charlottetown is probably half the size of the Stavanger location. It'll probably be the smallest Target store in Atlantic Canada. There isn't any room for expansion considering it's smack in the middle of a shopping mall :haha:

The Charlottetown Zellers is 112,000 sq. ft. So you're saying the St. John's location is roughly 220,000 sq ft????? The average Zellers store is 94,000 sq. ft per wikipedia. The Zellers location in Charlottetown has all kinds of room to expand. It is not in the middle of the mall, it is on the backside. If you look behind the mall at the Zellers loading docks you will see all kinds of space.

Arrakis Feb 25, 2013 10:51 PM

Athletes world is closing all stores across Canada. Sony is also closing many stores across Canada.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6027938)

Marty_Mcfly Feb 26, 2013 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy1 (Post 6028062)
The Charlottetown Zellers is 112,000 sq. ft. So you're saying the St. John's location is roughly 220,000 sq ft????? The average Zellers store is 94,000 sq. ft per wikipedia. The Zellers location in Charlottetown has all kinds of room to expand. It is not in the middle of the mall, it is on the backside. If you look behind the mall at the Zellers loading docks you will see all kinds of space.

That's true, I never really think about how thin the mall is. It's much longer than it is wide. The Zellers store still feels really small, though it could have to do with most of the stock being gone, I'm not sure.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 26, 2013 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6027936)

Wow, that store went under a massive renovation only a few years ago. It's a prime location though, whichever store opens up in there will benefit greatly.

Also, does anyone else agree with me that it's time that the Avalon Mall renovated it's walking areas? New tile wouldn't hurt :tup: