SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Truenorth00 Jul 22, 2022 11:26 PM

WestJet and Delta need to reapply for their JV.

thenoflyzone Jul 23, 2022 2:19 AM

The press release lacks detail, but does mention several times that AC/UA aren't allowed to revenue share on all routes. That tells me the 14 route carveouts the Canadian competition Bureau decided on in 2011 are still mostly in place.

They were:

YYC-IAH/ORD/SFO
YUL-ORD/IAH/WAS*
YOW-WAS/NYC**
YYZ-CLE/DEN/IAH/SFO/WAS
YVR-SFO

*WAS is the IATA code for Washington
**NYC is the IATA code for New York City

It also gives us a new restriction, which are certain US leisure markets and territories.

So I'm eager to read the next press release, the one that specifies all the carveouts. it's bound to be the majority of the 14 listed above, + the leisure markets that were mentioned today (bound to be Florida/Hawaii/Puerto Rico, etc)

No doubt the leisure market restriction was an AC request.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenorth00 (Post 9683642)
WestJet and Delta need to reapply for their JV.

They already did last July. Haven't heard any news, which means the conditions for the JV didn't change. Their JV was approved in 2020. They can take it or leave it.

What AC and UA have done here is go ahead with their JV, despite of all the restrictions that were put in place in 2011. Let it be a lesson to WS/DL. You can wait 10+ years, and it won't change a thing. If anything, its only going to get worse.

casper Jul 23, 2022 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9683735)
The press release lacks detail, but does mention several times that AC/UA aren't allowed to revenue share on all routes. That tells me the 14 route carveouts the Canadian competition Bureau decided on in 2011 are still in place.

They were:

YYC-IAH/ORD/SFO
YUL-ORD/IAH/WAS*
YOW-WAS/NYC**
YYZ-CLE/DEN/IAH/SFO/WAS
YVR-SFO

*WAS is the IATA code for Washington
**NYC is the IATA code for New York City

If I remember correct these restrictions would be removed if another airline entered the market. WestJet has done YYC-ORD/SFO at some point in time.

It also gives us a new restriction, which are certain US leisure markets and territories.

So I'm eager to read the next press release, the one that specifies all the carveouts. it's bound to be the majority of the 14 listed above, + the leisure markets that were mentioned today (bound to be Florida/Hawaii/Puerto Rico, etc)

No doubt the leisure market restriction was an AC request.



The outcome won't be any different than the last time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9683735)
What AC and UA have done here is go ahead with their JV, despite of all the restrictions that were put in place in 2011. WS/DL can do the same. Their JV was approved in 2020.

Not certain if WestJets new business plan changes any of this. Not certain WS even wants a JV anymore with its new focus.

Dominion301 Jul 24, 2022 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 9683380)
Guten tag Germany! Starting May 26, 2023, Condor Flugdienst GmbH will offer non-stop seasonal summer air service between #YEG and Frankfurt, Germany.  We’re thrilled to welcome Condor to Edmonton! In conjunction with their partners, Condor's network opens many travel opportunities for the Edmonton Metro Region, not just to visit Frankfurt, but to connect through Frankfurt to other destinations throughout Europe. Plus, an excellent opportunity to connect European tourists to our local and regional gems. To start planning your next vacation, visit the flyeia.com/Frankfurt

Well congrats to YEG on landing DE.

Meanwhile at YOW…

Calfan12 Jul 25, 2022 6:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9676881)
YUL and YVR published May 2022 numbers. YYC has for a while now, but included it here for comparison.

YVR

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docum...fic-update.pdf

Total: 1,611,784 (73.8% of May 2019 numbers)
Dom: 964,371
Intl: 313,716
US: 333,697

Intl+US: 647,413

-------------------------------------------------

YUL

https://www.admtl.com/sites/default/...et_2022_EN.pdf

Total: 1,270,284 (85.5% of May 2019 number)
Dom: 478,984
Intl: 521,059
US: 270,241

Intl+US: 791,300

------------------------------------------------------------

YYC

https://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/fact...tatistics.aspx

Total: 1,264,969
Dom: 958,060
Intl: 106,132
US: 200,777

Intl+US: 306,909

Dont have May 2019 numbers for YYC, but they were probably at 90%+ of that number last May.

Great! The Calgary YYC June 2022 passenger stats are out:

Domestic 1,066,685 (257.5%) & 1st time for 2022 that YYC has reach 1million Domestic passengers so far.
Transborder 233,139 (1589.3%)
International 110,278 (1625.5%)
June total passengers 1,410,102 (342.6%)

YYC June -US + International total :343,417

https://www.yyc.com/Portals/0/Jun_Pa...rs_Website.pdf

nname Jul 25, 2022 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9678031)
YVR-LGW season has been shorted, now ends Oct. 2. (Guess this means it ain't going year-round this year).

YYZ-LGW still appears to be scheduled for now, despite bookings being limited to just J/W/Y class.

Now looks like WS is dropping both YYC and YYZ-LGW for W22, as well as YYZ-LGW for S23.

YYC and YVR-LGW are still scheduled for the next summer, for now.

Not sure how they are going to use their 787 then...

casper Jul 25, 2022 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9685393)
Now looks like WS is dropping both YYC and YYZ-LGW for W22, as well as YYZ-LGW for S23.

YYC and YVR-LGW are still scheduled for the next summer, for now.

Not sure how they are going to use their 787 then...

They need to find a partner with a hub and space at their hub.

I was pricing out a trip to Portugal departing out of Vancouver and Victoria. Best option kept showing up as Air Canada with a connection in Dublin. Not what I would have expected however it works out as a good connecting airport.

WS partners in Rome, Amsterdam and Paris.

Zmonkey Jul 25, 2022 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9685393)
Now looks like WS is dropping both YYC and YYZ-LGW for W22, as well as YYZ-LGW for S23.

YYC and YVR-LGW are still scheduled for the next summer, for now.

Not sure how they are going to use their 787 then...

I would Guess Hawaii, Cancun and YYC to YYZ.

But I did look and YYC is still bookable all winter long.

Calfan12 Jul 25, 2022 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9685393)
Now looks like WS is dropping both YYC and YYZ-LGW for W22, as well as YYZ-LGW for S23.

YYC and YVR-LGW are still scheduled for the next summer, for now.

Not sure how they are going to use their 787 then...

Yep & not too surprising WestJet cut Calgary YYC - London Gatwick (LGW) after it’s increasing flights to London Heathrow (LHR) instead.

As YYC - Europe during the Winter season is less busier compared to Summers.

YYC - Hawaii & Mexico has demand during Winters & is where the WS 787’s will be flying & also YYC to Toronto YYZ too.

Calfan12 Jul 26, 2022 1:35 PM

Vancouver YVR will be busy to end July 2022.

Nearly 70,000 daily passengers expected this week at Vancouver International Airport.This week’s daily passenger volumes at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) will be the busiest since the pandemic began, closing in on normal volumes.

In a bulletin today advising travellers to arrive early as a precaution, YVR says it will see an average of about 67,000 passengers per day between July 25 and August 31 for a total of 467,500 passengers this week alone.

There were 69,560 passengers yesterday (Sunday), and the forecast calls for 66,198 passengers today (Monday), 65,860 passengers tomorrow (Tuesday), 66,162 passengers Wednesday, 67,544 passengers Thursday, 66,586 passengers Friday, and 65,590 passengers Saturday.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...022-statistics

Dominion301 Jul 26, 2022 2:17 PM

WS have averted a strike in YVR and YYC and reached a first-ever tentative agreement with ground workers: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...863070565.html

Amazing how the company could drag their feet for years and then 5 days before a strike, boom, suddenly a deal is possible. Good for the workers. Hope they got a good deal.

Coldrsx Jul 27, 2022 2:20 PM

Canada Jetlines
5,664 followers
52m • 52 minutes ago

Canada Jetlines Announces First Flight from #Toronto Pearson to #Moncton New Brunswick! ✈️

We're excited to share a second leg to our inaugural flight on August 15, to Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport. The flight will be our first service offered to the new route.

“Canada Jetlines is excited to offer service on our inaugural day out of our hub in Toronto to the vibrant destination of Moncton, New Brunswick,” shared Eddy Doyle, CEO of Canada Jetlines. “We’ve chosen Moncton as our first destination in the Maritime provinces for its attractive offering for tourists and its convenient reach to a large segment of the population of New Brunswick..."

whatnext Jul 29, 2022 5:11 PM

Things don't sound good for Transat. Wasn't Westjet/Onex supposed to buy them? :shrug:

Air Transat to borrow $100-million in federal government emergency loans
ERIC ATKINS TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
PUBLISHED 2 HOURS AGO
Money-losing airline Transat AT Inc. has secured another government loan to stay afloat.

Montreal-based Transat will borrow another $100-million from the federal government’s Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding Corp. on top of the $743-million it borrowed since 2021.

Transat said the agreement announced on Friday includes an additional line of credit worth $50-million, contingent on the airline raising another $50-million from a third party. Transat also said its lenders have agreed to defer credit deadlines by one year to April, 2024, and to push back certain financial conditions until October, 2023...

... Eighty per cent of the five-year loan comes with an interest rate of 5 per cent for the first year, 8 per cent for the second year and a 2 per cent increase every year that follows. Transat and other recipients also had to issue warrants that give the government the right to purchase as much as 15 per cent of the company’s shares.

Transat is the only company to have applied for LEEFF aid in the past year, and the loan program is closed as of July 29, said Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding..

...Revenue rose to $358.2 million compared with $7.6-million in the year-ago period as travellers shrugged off pandemic worries and returned to the skies. However, Transat continued to burn through cash at a rate of $3-milion a month.


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...vernment-loan/

thewave46 Jul 29, 2022 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 9689229)
Things don't sound good for Transat. Wasn't Westjet/Onex supposed to buy them? :shrug:

Air Transat to borrow $100-million in federal government emergency loans
ERIC ATKINS TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
PUBLISHED 2 HOURS AGO
Money-losing airline Transat AT Inc. has secured another government loan to stay afloat.

Montreal-based Transat will borrow another $100-million from the federal government’s Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding Corp. on top of the $743-million it borrowed since 2021.

Transat said the agreement announced on Friday includes an additional line of credit worth $50-million, contingent on the airline raising another $50-million from a third party. Transat also said its lenders have agreed to defer credit deadlines by one year to April, 2024, and to push back certain financial conditions until October, 2023...

... Eighty per cent of the five-year loan comes with an interest rate of 5 per cent for the first year, 8 per cent for the second year and a 2 per cent increase every year that follows. Transat and other recipients also had to issue warrants that give the government the right to purchase as much as 15 per cent of the company’s shares.

Transat is the only company to have applied for LEEFF aid in the past year, and the loan program is closed as of July 29, said Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding..

...Revenue rose to $358.2 million compared with $7.6-million in the year-ago period as travellers shrugged off pandemic worries and returned to the skies. However, Transat continued to burn through cash at a rate of $3-milion a month.


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...vernment-loan/

At one point, Air Transat might have been a good fit for Westjet, shoring up their position in Quebec domestically, enhancing their sun portfolio, and increasing the number of gateways to Europe.

Then Westjet/Onex bought Sunwing. The Competition Bureau would look pretty dimly upon both leisure carriers in this country being owned by the same entity, so I do not see them buying Air Transat.

So, unless Air Canada feels like it wants to take another swing at Air Transat (which I view somewhat dimly from a competition point-of-view) due to the failure of their previous attempt during COVID, it does not look like a suitor is apparent. Air Canada has bigger problems to cope with internally, like most airlines today.

It is odd that AT is doing so poorly, given that the airline industry has jacked fares and filling planes to the hilt due to the huge demand. Unless they're just unable to capitalize on that demand due to the COVID-related hangover?

Coldrsx Jul 29, 2022 9:56 PM

Flying YYC-YYZ tomorrow... curious to see what the experience is like.

whatnext Jul 29, 2022 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 9689565)
Flying YYC-YYZ tomorrow... curious to see what the experience is like.

Good luck!

HomeInMyShoes Jul 30, 2022 3:37 AM

Getting hammered in possession time, getting hammered in the second half.

Coldrsx Jul 30, 2022 3:25 PM

From airport bus to through security ~7 minutes.

*NEXUS
*Only carryon

The main line was busy, but maybe 20-25 mins or so.

Gates are BUSY

Denscity Jul 30, 2022 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 9689775)
Getting hammered in possession time, getting hammered in the second half.

CFL thread?

thenoflyzone Jul 30, 2022 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9690002)
CFL thread?

Maybe he's describing his CATSA or customs experience at one of our glorious airports...:D


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.