SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

bmfarley Dec 22, 2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport (Post 3242154)
This is an abomination.

Looks like a cheap old Vegas hotel.

My eyes and head hurt looking a that POS. Why did you do that?

Marina_Guy Dec 23, 2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

This is an abomination.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...alestate31.jpg

Mid Century fabulous!

I'd say it looks better than Cortez Blu and the Alegro Tower...

Marina_Guy Dec 23, 2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 3240290)
Grubb and Ellis confirmed that it is Wal-Mart. The tenant improvements started this week.

I'm sorry, I missed something here, where is the new 'WalMart' concept going?

I did find this tid-bit about Walmart's concern and reaction to 'Fresh and Easy'

=====

Wal-Mart fears Tesco's potential

Posted Aug 27th 2007 4:45PM by Kevin Shult
Filed under: Launches, Industry, Competitive strategy, Wal-Mart (WMT), Home Depot (HD), Marketing and advertising, Target Corp. (TGT), Costco Wholesale (COST), Lowe's Cos (LOW)
The Financial Times (subscription required) reports that Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT) is considering acquisitions in the U.S. as it attempts to broaden its reliance on its 2,300 colossal "Supercenters" for future growth, citing a job posting that requests an executive to assess the "strategic implications of any possible M&A on our overall portfolio."

This is Wal-Mart's first attempt in more than 25 years to acquire a company in its own backyard. The move is seen as a response to the upcoming opening of Tesco's (OTC: TSCDY) "Fresh & Easy" grocery markets in the United States. Tesco's smaller neighborhood grocery markets cover 10,000 square feet of selling space, compared to Wal-Mart's Supercenters, which dominate the landscape with 187,000 square feet. Wal-Mart also has discount stores without groceries that average 107,000 square feet.In addition to the search for an executive with a strategic M&A background, Wal-Mart has already established a new business development team based in San Francisco that will experiment with new pilot programs. Wal-Mart is attempting to develop what the Financial Times calls a "comprehensive multi-format growth strategy," a program similar to what Tesco did in the U.K. back in the 1990s.

Wal-Mart's attempts to open stores in the urban centers of New York, California and Chicago have met local political opposition for years. Competitors like Costco Wholesale Corp. (NASDAQ: COST) and Target Corp. (NYSE: TGT) have not seen the same level of opposition compared to Wal-Mart, despite the comparable 'big-box' format. In comparison, Tesco's "Fresh & Easy" stores only fill 5% of a Wal-Mart Supercenter and would lack the same level of planning approval. The move to a smaller Wal-Mart store could allow the "evil empire" an entrance into these key urban centers.

BrandonJXN Dec 23, 2007 1:01 AM

What's the name of that condo building in Hillcrest on the corner of University and Park I believe? I miss my old neighborhood (North Park). Roosevelt Jr Highschool...*sigh*...memories.

bmfarley Dec 23, 2007 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 3242277)
What's the name of that condo building in Hillcrest on the corner of University and Park I believe? I miss my old neighborhood (North Park). Roosevelt Jr Highschool...*sigh*...memories.

The Egyptian. Or something like that.

BrandonJXN Dec 23, 2007 1:59 AM

Yeah..I would always walk to school and see it. Always wanted to know the name of it. Thx.

SD_Phil Dec 23, 2007 2:19 AM

The Egyptian is the new condo building on that block. The other two have been up forever and I can't remember their names either (they're right next to a church though and I think that influences their name so...Cathedral something?)

Casa grande is also right there next to the Egyptian and it's 6 or 7 floors (can't recall) and its been there forever too.

sandiego_urban Dec 23, 2007 8:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushman61988
Excellent Shots!

Thank you so much SD_Urban!

Sentai is definitely looking better than I thought!

Now if they just paint over that exposed concrete on the south side...

Thanks! I figured when this thread starts getting slow, we may as well post pics, right?

I totally agree on the backside of the Diegan, but I guess it needs to be like that in case the owner of the property behind it decides to build something tall there in the future.

Quote:

This is an abomination.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...alestate31.jpg

Since the penis building was brought up again, I checked out the developer's website to see what was up and found some new renderings. These look like revised and "toned down" versions of Shapery Tower, which is now called Shapery Lotus Tower.

By loosening up the foreskin, it now looks less penis-y to me. Am I crazy to say that I kinda like it now? Why not top it off with a 100 ft. high water fountain shooting up from that rooftop bar and observation deck?

Lifted from the developers website-

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...Rendering1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...Rendering2.jpg

SHAPERY LOTUS TOWER

Project Description

Shapery Lotus Tower is a proposed 40 story condominium/hotel and residential tower in downtown San Diego containing 90 hotel/condominium suites, 30 one bedroom condominium suites, 42 two bedroom condominium suites, one penthouse condominium suite, a spa/health club, pool, 40th story restaurant, roof top bar served by a glass elevator, ancillary commercial space and 164 parking spaces located in the project parking garage.

Shapery Lotus Tower sits on the western half of a substandard block (200’X 108’) bounded by Russ Blvd. on the north, A St. on the south, 11th St. on the west and Park Blvd on the east . It shares the block with a five story historic hotel building that was newly renovated by Mr. Shapery thereby allowing for the transfer of the excess floor area ratio to the Shapery Lotus Tower. The site is the last private ownership parcel south of Balboa Park and as such is viewed as a city gateway parcel sitting between the downtown core, Balboa Park and at the beginning of the historic Cabrillo highway through the Park.

The building is being developed by Sandor Shapery who previously developed San Diego’s premier mixed use high-rise hotel/office complex, the Emerald Shapery Center which can be recognized by its eight hexagon towers topped with green neon. Mr. Shapery designed the Emerald Shapery Center in conjunction with C.W. Kim Architects who is again joining with Mr. Shapery in the design of this iconic building. Mr. Shapery was also responsible for the design and development of the W Hotel in downtown San Diego.

Mr. Shapery who designed and built the Emerald Shapery Center 16 years ago has been referred to as a futurist having installed many innovations in the Emerald Shapery Center including, openable window mullions for fresh air in every office and hotel room; separate air intakes on each floor at the north side of the building to lower the temperature gradient, save energy and reduce the amount of ionized air in the air distribution ducts; the hexagon design allowed for a greater percentage of view windows per square foot of floor space along with the standardization of every exterior window and building frame component. San Diego’s most efficient air conditioning ice storage system enables the Emerald Shapery Center to reduce its air conditioning electric costs by 70% while the laundry water recycling program paid for itself in 36 months.

The Shapery Lotus Tower will contain these innovations and more as it is being designed to be the most energy efficient high-rise condominium/hotel and residential tower in the region. Every part of the Shapery Lotus Tower is being designed with quality of life, energy efficiency, environmental sensitivity and sustainability issues given primary concern.

Many internal building systems are being designed to minimize initial costs and reduce operating costs by utilizing the systems for multiple functions. Examples include utilizing the cooling tower fans to exhaust the parking garage; capturing the building air conditioning condensation water for use in the laundry, swimming pool, fire water storage system and irrigation. Additionally the projects water features are being designed to function as cooling towers for the air-conditioning system. Photovoltaic glass will be installed on the south side building balconies to reduce each tenant’s electrical requirements.

In addition to the many innovations, the building is being built pursuant to the highest standards set by the U.S. Green Building Council LEED certification program.

DETAILED PROJECT DESCRIPTION

The Shapery Lotus Tower contains forty stories above grade and 4 stories below grade for a total building height of 500 feet above the mean high tide line in the San Diego bay; the maximum building height allowed in downtown San Diego. The project rises 409 feet above the lowest grade on the site with the parcel containing 10,840.5 square feet. The tower sits on the top of the parking pedestal which covers most of the site and contains the lobby, ancillary commercial uses and parking. The Tower will be constructed out of concrete and is designed in the shape of a three leaf clover with each peddle and accompanying core being identical allowing for all of the construction forming to be the same. The organic design of the Shapery Lotus Tower is symbolic of the environmental aspects of the project.

PARKING

The project has 7 floors of parking. Three levels above grade and 4 levels below grade.

The 4 levels of underground parking contain 86 standard sized parking stalls and 16 compact spaces for a total of 102 spaces below grade. The entrance and exit to the underground parking is located on Russ Blvd.

There are three levels of above grade parking in the pedestal of the building, being levels 3 through 5 containing 52 standard sized spaces and 10 compact spaces for a total of 62 above grade parking spaces. When combined with the underground parking spaces there are a total of 164 parking spaces- 138 standard parking spaces and 26 substandard parking spaces. The entrance and exit to and from the above grade parking is accessed by a driveway between the tower pedestal and the Historic hotel located on the adjacent parcel entering on A Street and exiting on Russ Blvd.

The hotel lobby is two stories tall measured from the entrance on the corner of 11th and A Street. The lower lobby level is connected to the drive-in entrance and upper lobby level by a set of escalators separated by two water falls integrated into the air conditioning cooling system as mentioned above.

HOTEL/ CONDOMINIUM AMENITIES

On the 6th level of the building pedestal above the parking is the back-of-the-house hotel operations system, including house keeping, laundry, security, storage and mechanical systems.

There are three elevators that serve all of the parking and lobby levels, two of which are passenger elevators and one freight elevator running from the p-4 level to the pool deck and spa located on the 7th floor. A second freight elevator begins at the back of the house on the 6th level and runs to the roof. The tower is also served by one glass elevator and two passenger elevators.

The seventh floor, which is the top of the building’s pedestal, contains the swimming pool, pool deck, jacuzzi, health spa, hotel administrative offices, parking elevators, glass elevator, and tower elevators.

The eighth floor which is the first floor of the tower contains two ballroom/meeting rooms containing 1084 square feet each, an 810 square foot kitchen/pantry and a prefunction area containing 760 square feet along with two balconies containing 170 square feet.

The 9th through the 19th floors of the tower contain 9 units per floor for a total of 90 hotel condominium units ranging in size from 375 to 480 square feet most with balconies of 85 square feet each.

The 20th through the 24th floors of the tower contain 6 one bedroom condominium units per floor for a total of 30 one bedroom condominium units from 612 to 644 square feet, one and three quarter baths with full kitchens, and containing balconies of 85 square feet each.

The 25th through the 38th floor contain 3 two bedroom two and one half bath condominium units per floor for a total of 42 two bedroom two and one half bath condominiums ranging in size from 1284 to 1292 square feet each containing balconies which range in size from 176 to 255. Two of the three condominiums on each floor have keyed elevators opening directly into the unit’s living room.

Beginning at the 37th floor and continuing to the top of the building each units’ balconies project outward and increase from 420 square feet, out to 584, and 594, square feet respectively.

The 39th floor contains the penthouse condominium containing a total of 4345 square feet of living space with three balconies containing 1782 square each.

The 40th story is a restaurant and lounge containing 3886 square feet of interior space and two outdoor balconies containing 2268 square feet.

Above the restaurant is the roof-top bar and observatory topped out with back lit canvas petals.

sandiego_urban Dec 23, 2007 9:12 AM

For those who missed what was said about this tower when it was first proposed, here's a quick blurb from CityBeat (a local alternative paper) back in July 2007 -

San Diegans Alarmed By Proposed Giant Phallus

As the comics community prepares to invade San Diego for a few days, we’re closely monitoring the local news to alert attendees to any possible hazards they will need to navigate, and here’s a doozy: A giant phallus in the guise of an apartment building is set to rise over downtown San Diego, and it’s giving law-abiding San Diegans a hard time. Developer Sandor Shapery claims the building looks like a flower, but city planners say it resembles a giant 40-story wang.

“With its rounded forms and swelling of the uppermost floors . . . this building structure is very phallic,” Pugh wrote in his critique of the project.

Some downtown residents seem to agree with Pugh. At one public meeting on the design, comments from the audience included “appalled” and “too iconic.” Someone compared it to Las Vegas architecture.

The structure would be erected near the freeway exit that leads to downtown; Shapery is also responsible for building the newish W and the green-tinted Emerald Plaza, which also met with controversy when it went up in the 80s.

After the local criticism of the phallic structure, the architect has agreed to “tone it down.” Perhaps with a dose of saltpeter?

HurricaneHugo Dec 23, 2007 10:49 AM

Better, but the base still needs work.

eburress Dec 23, 2007 1:55 PM

If that building gets built, I am leaving San Diego forever...the entire city will be dead to me. That's how much I hate that ridiculously hideous building. Even with the redo, it still looks like ass.

keg92101 Dec 23, 2007 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 3242264)
I'm sorry, I missed something here, where is the new 'WalMart' concept going?

TR Produce. This will be the first prototype for urban markets the size of Trader Joe's. It will have a new format and Brand Name

keg92101 Dec 23, 2007 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 3242834)
If that building gets built, I am leaving San Diego forever...the entire city will be dead to me. That's how much I hate that ridiculously hideous building. Even with the redo, it still looks like ass.

Sure...
We'll hold you to it. People were saying the same thing when he Built the Emerald Plaza, and now people love it. I think the idea of an observation deck is fantastic.

sandiegodweller Dec 23, 2007 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3242774)
Better, but the base still needs work.

Did you want two big spheres?

IconRPCV Dec 23, 2007 6:45 PM

The new condo on the corner of Park and University is the Egyptian, the new condo on the corner of Park and Robinson is the Deca.

IconRPCV Dec 23, 2007 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 3242834)

Wow this forum likes to bitch. The designs are too boring, the designs are too short. Well this design definetly isn't boring nor is it short. If this gets built it will definetly be a distinctive addition to our skyline.. I for one like it.

bmfarley Dec 23, 2007 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 3243132)
Wow this forum likes to bitch. The designs are too boring, the designs are too short. Well this design definetly isn't boring nor is it short. If this gets built it will definetly be a distinctive addition to our skyline.. I for one like it.

Yeah, I don't like it at all, even with the revised drawings. I would like to see it revised again. Maybe with a crown? As is, it's till too thalic looking for me... and does not look like a flower at all. I'd guess a tulip if it were. Or rose about to bloom???

Derek Dec 24, 2007 2:02 AM

Why is Balboa Theatre orange?

spoonman Dec 24, 2007 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 3243132)

^Definately.

This will be one of the most interesting buildings to come since Emerald Plaza. It will also include things that we, as citizens can use, such as restaurants, bars and the observation deck. It will not be a place we can only walk by such as offices and condo towers.

I actually happen to like the building as it is reminicint of old vegas. If you do not like it for the same reason I do like it; take solace in the fact that it doesn't look like another Bosa project. I'm happy it doesn't have sails on it or some other nautical bullshit, though I'm watching those protrusions at the top very carefully...lol.

HurricaneHugo Dec 24, 2007 5:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3243534)
Why is Balboa Theatre orange?

It's hideous.