SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Jul 21, 2007 7:28 PM

The trolley adds a certain special attribute to the city, but I agree about the cargo train track, that thing needs to be submerged or diverted or something. They always send them at the best times, too. Like a half hour before Padres games, or as soon as the game is over. It is quite annoying. I wonder how many complaints the city recieves every year regarding these trains.

HurricaneHugo Jul 21, 2007 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2964700)
Those low-rise condo's

I hope they get blowned up soon.

HurricaneHugo Jul 21, 2007 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2964629)

Is that in addition to all the bus routes in UC?

Either way it will help out a lot.

I drive shuttles for UCSD and both of our city routes are always PACKED with people (and not everybody showers or wears deodorant..).

Derek Jul 21, 2007 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 2964785)
I hope they get blowned up soon.

Those have definitely got to go.

Derek Jul 21, 2007 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 2964789)
Is that in addition to all the bus routes in UC?

Either way it will help out a lot.

I drive shuttles for UCSD and both of our city routes are always PACKED with people (and not everybody showers or wears deodorant..).

I guess it's more like a bus rapid transit system. And I think it is in addition to the current UC routes. It's like an area-specific bus route called the "UCOro" or something along the lines of that.

bmfarley Jul 21, 2007 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2964707)
The trolley adds a certain special attribute to the city, but I agree about the cargo train track, that thing needs to be submerged or diverted or something. They always send them at the best times, too. Like a half hour before Padres games, or as soon as the game is over. It is quite annoying. I wonder how many complaints the city recieves every year regarding these trains.

The Trolley is very valuable to San Diego and the region, but if it is to continue being important, particularly in light of all the growth downtown and region is to expect, then it should be put underground to allow for longer trains, high speeds, and more frequent service. Or, it could be put above ground like the Chicago 'L'. Too bad each takes a poop-load of money and it's not like the city has much to contribute. And the Feds will not pay for more than half. And Schwarzenneger is all about highways.

Derek Jul 21, 2007 9:26 PM

I thought Schwarzenneger supported HSR.

bmfarley Jul 21, 2007 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2964830)
I thought Schwarzenneger supported HSR.

His actions with the state budget indicate otherwise by slashing the Authority's budget to just paying staff and keeping the lights on. He's also not as green as he says he is by having his staffers try to minimize some of the environmental regulations implemented by the California Air Resources Board that are consistent with what voters passed. What's on the cover of Time and other magazines touting him as being 'environmental' is a ruse. ... probably to remain in the spotlight... appear significant... and maybe just to get re-elected in November 2008. It appears his governorship is really just him bieng on a different stage than in front of a camera.

Derek Jul 22, 2007 5:59 AM

Guess what happened after the Padres game! They send a 46276134 mile long train out! Seriously, that needs to stop.

SDCAL Jul 22, 2007 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2964824)
The Trolley is very valuable to San Diego and the region, but if it is to continue being important, particularly in light of all the growth downtown and region is to expect, then it should be put underground to allow for longer trains, high speeds, and more frequent service. Or, it could be put above ground like the Chicago 'L'. Too bad each takes a poop-load of money and it's not like the city has much to contribute. And the Feds will not pay for more than half. And Schwarzenneger is all about highways.

I agree, I think underground would make the most sense but will never happen anytime soon with the cost. The other day these two girls wearing like 5 inch heels who were apparently drunk or high or something were stumbling across the trolley tracks across Park Blv, one of them said something the other thought was funny and she dropped her purse and then they both fell to the ground laughing histarically. After the oncoming trolley honked like 20 times seeing them from afar, it actually had to stop in it's tracks

I agree the trolley is important to our city but how seriously can you take mass transit that can be halted by two drunk hoochies in the middle of the street?? :lmao:

SDCAL Jul 22, 2007 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 2964683)
RE: NBC

When I saw the latest renderings after reading the article this morning I couldn't help but wonder how in the hell NBC's project design is getting worse as newer renderings come out. I now find myself longing for the original rendering that I irresponsibly derided. Tilt-up anyone? My only hope is that street life there is activated enough to divert your eyes from anything above ground. (And building one, the hotel/office tower is fine, but how do they manage to refer to the other hotel as spanish colonial?) Its like Gensler saw Cobb's Irvine Co. tower and said, "you call this a box?"

I wondered about the Spanish Colonial thing too. I read that in the aricle but was trying to figure out frm the rendering what building they were talking about because they all looked the same style to me.

Alot of the project will depend on the street-level experience. I think an outdoor paseo lined with high-end stores could be nice along the bay if done right, it's just hard to envision because the renderings don't include street-level scenes. is the paseo going to have views to the bay as people walk?

i am also concerned about the number of hotels proposed in this one complex, I think I counted like 5. What is going to set them apart from each other? I guess alot depends on the chains that buy in to the project. Are they going to be all higher-end, or are they going to be a range?

SDCAL Jul 22, 2007 6:04 PM

I am also very curious about the museum. I have noticed this has been in the proposal from the beginning and remains now, but have not heard of what kind of museum it is??
I like the idea of a museum there, but it seems to be tucked into one of the towers.
I kind of wish the museum would be the centerpiece of the project and have more distinctinve architecture surrounded by outdoor space with all the taller hotels and condos surrounding it. That would give the central area of the project to the people of SD and not to rich out of towners staying in the hotels.

One thing that wuld be cool in the site, i think, would be an aquarium. We have the scipps aquarium up in La Jolla, but i think now that downtown is a destination in itself and alot of people here for conventions, etc. don't get up to LJ so i think they would frequent an aquarium. Especially being located on the bay with San Diego's image of an ocean city, I think a nice public aquarium would do great, maybe tie it in with an interactive museum that focuses on marine history and biology and has exhibits relating to not only San Diego bays history but the histories of other coastal cities for learning and comparison, as well as environmental exhibits on ocean pollution and the demise of coral reefs. It would be a cool venue to display photos and relics from SDs diverse past with the Italian and Portuguese immigrants who orignially inhabited the Little Italy area and mad etheir living tuna fishing
And, of course, close by have the sleek San Diego mandarin oriental hotel
:)
OK, just my fantasy for the site

spoonman Jul 23, 2007 6:07 AM

Hmm....What to talk about???

mello Jul 23, 2007 6:12 AM

^^^ Well there are many things to talk about, I just read the UT article about how some people are finding the Ball Park Village Marriot "Controversial". I must ask, is there ever any big project in this city that isn't ever "controversial". Basically San Diego has pulled off the convention center, a downtown ballpark, and what else??? Airport negative, Arena and football stadium negative, expanding trolley service negative, reworking the embarcadero and seaport village nope.....

So this city really hasn't pulled off anything *big* lately. Gaylord project... shot down... What about the huge mixed use projects that should have been built years ago by San Diego State and that thing in Barrio Logan... Still dusty lots or parking???

I don't know if the capital just isn't flowing through this metro because average citizens hardly have any expendable income like Houston/Atlanta?? Seriously how many average San Diegans have money to spend? Not many....

Derek Jul 23, 2007 6:12 AM

The annoying cargo trains?

spoonman Jul 23, 2007 6:12 AM

Seems like most of us have worried about development slowing down because of the softer housing market. It seems though as if office and hotel development will be taking it's place in a slightly narrower way.

Derek Jul 23, 2007 6:13 AM

As long as the empty lots are filled, then I don't mind anything new (unless it is absolute shit).

mello Jul 23, 2007 6:16 AM

Well I know that Diamond View Tower and Smart Corner still haven't filled their office space yet so I don't know how well the downtown market is for new office towers besides the "stunning" IM Pei Costa Mesa revival tower :rolleyes:

Derek Jul 23, 2007 6:19 AM

My 3 year old son could've designed a better looking tower, and I don't even have one!

PWNED! :)

Sorry. :(

spoonman Jul 23, 2007 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 2966643)
I don't know if the capital just isn't flowing through this metro because average citizens hardly have any expendable income like Houston/Atlanta?? Seriously how many average San Diegans have money to spend? Not many....

You'd be suprised. San Diego has more entrepreneurs than a lot of over cities. It is the #4 city for the number of millionaires in the US, and it is around #5 for venture capital spending nationwide.

The problem with getting major government projects done is that San Diegans are suspiscious of local government and they actually have valid reasons..lol. As far as private projects go, I believe that it's a few people causing waves and that the average person doesn't care, just the granola-eaters in Encinitas that scream bloody murder.