SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress Mar 22, 2007 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2708509)
Imo, which you probably know already, is that people should chose wisely where they live and not choose lifestyles putting them in cars for 1 hour each morning or evening. I know that is some peoples only 'alone' time, but that choice is messed up.

I wouldn't want to spend that long behind the wheel either, but it isn't wrong just because you or I say it's wrong. Some people live in the boonies for valid "lifestyle" reasons other than price and/or alone time. :)

Derek Mar 22, 2007 5:21 AM

^like pollute the air! :justkidding:

btw...ive always wondered who the girl in your avatar was eburress...who is she?

keg92101 Mar 22, 2007 6:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2706349)
i actually want to see nice, new homeless shelters integrated into the East Village area so we can get them off the streets and have a safer, cleaner way of life downtown...

Do you live in East Village?

spoonman Mar 22, 2007 6:50 AM

I don't know what you guys consider to be "ghetto", but in my opinion people loitering all day hitting you up for money, "waiting around for a friend" (selling drugs), and bums lining the street at night constitutes "ghetto" in my book. I was speaking in hyperbole before, but the more I think about it, it is ghetto albeit not textbook.

bmfarley Mar 22, 2007 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2709003)
I don't know what you guys consider to be "ghetto", but in my opinion people loitering all day hitting you up for money, "waiting around for a friend" (selling drugs), and bums lining the street at night constitutes "ghetto" in my book. I was speaking in hyperbole before, but the more I think about it, it is ghetto albeit not textbook.

I'm on C Street a lot. I have even walked up and down it at midnight to see what it was like (sober)... from India all the way to 11th. In 2 years I have maybe asked for change twice. At most. I've never seen drugs sold there either... although I wouldn't be suprised because it is bought and sold all over downtown... especially along Imperial and Commercial and National and Logan.

What is really telling is the crime map created my the SDPD. It's online and doesn't really show a pattern of anything downtown... just that crime incidents are everywhere. But in the end, DT is a safe place. It's not like other cities. It's just impression.

bmfarley Mar 22, 2007 7:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2708684)
I wouldn't want to spend that long behind the wheel either, but it isn't wrong just because you or I say it's wrong. Some people live in the boonies for valid "lifestyle" reasons other than price and/or alone time. :)

I think it was unfair to quote me like that. I wrote more.

"Imo, which you probably know already, is that people should chose wisely where they live and not choose lifestyles putting them in cars for 1 hour each morning or evening. I know that is some peoples only 'alone' time, but that choice is messed up. Or, that being 1 hour away from their work location is the only affordable housing they could afford. Personally, that is not an affordable lifestyle for me. I don't want to behind the wheel that long... too painful on many levels."

keg92101 Mar 22, 2007 7:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2709041)
I'm on C Street a lot. I have even walked up and down it at midnight to see what it was like (sober)... from India all the way to 11th. In 2 years I have maybe asked for change twice. At most. I've never seen drugs sold there either... although I wouldn't be suprised because it is bought and sold all over downtown... especially along Imperial and Commercial and National and Logan.

What is really telling is the crime map created my the SDPD. It's online and doesn't really show a pattern of anything downtown... just that crime incidents are everywhere. But in the end, DT is a safe place. It's not like other cities. It's just impression.

You can honestly say that you don't feel nervous at all walkin down C street that time of night? Comps to you. I live DT also and I hate waiting for a trolley after the yardhouse in that areal.

keg92101 Mar 22, 2007 7:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 2709003)

Agree, agree, agree. Its great when people who don't live downtown tell us how it is.

keg92101 Mar 22, 2007 7:50 AM

Dvt

Anyone been down to Diamond View Tower lately? They have a killer photo built into their curtain wall. I won't say what it is, so check it out.. it's at the entrance!

eburress Mar 22, 2007 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2709044)
I think it was unfair to quote me like that. I wrote more.

"Imo, which you probably know already, is that people should chose wisely where they live and not choose lifestyles putting them in cars for 1 hour each morning or evening. I know that is some peoples only 'alone' time, but that choice is messed up. Or, that being 1 hour away from their work location is the only affordable housing they could afford. Personally, that is not an affordable lifestyle for me. I don't want to behind the wheel that long... too painful on many levels."

Sorry - I didn't mean to be unfair or misrepresent what you said. In any case, I don't think that changes my point. Hours behind the wheel might be worth it for some people and choosing to do this isn't unwise. It's no big deal, but I did want to point it out because you are making some broad statements that might not be entirely fair.

sandiego_urban Mar 22, 2007 5:50 PM

Hey Guys, I started a Hilton thread in the High Rise Construction section of the forum. I know alot of you hate that one, but it's big enough to deserve it's own thread, right?

bmfarley Mar 22, 2007 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2709595)
Sorry - I didn't mean to be unfair or misrepresent what you said. In any case, I don't think that changes my point. Hours behind the wheel might be worth it for some people and choosing to do this isn't unwise. It's no big deal, but I did want to point it out because you are making some broad statements that might not be entirely fair.

Choosing to be behind the wheel for 1-hour in each direction to get to work involves some quality of life tradeoffs, certainly. It is certainly not physically healthy. I can't imagine a scenario whereas sacraficing health is beneficial or wise.

Well maybe? Perhaps a scenario where the home lifestyle is worse than being in a car. I did mention that it is some peoples only 'alone' time they have while commuting to work.

Derek Mar 22, 2007 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 2708999)
Do you live in East Village?

no...i live inbetween Little Italy and Hillcrest on 5th..."Uptown" in one of those midrise condos...but im in downtown nearly everyday...

eburress Mar 22, 2007 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 2710096)
Choosing to be behind the wheel for 1-hour in each direction to get to work involves some quality of life tradeoffs, certainly. It is certainly not physically healthy. I can't imagine a scenario whereas sacraficing health is beneficial or wise.

Well maybe? Perhaps a scenario where the home lifestyle is worse than being in a car. I did mention that it is some peoples only 'alone' time they have while commuting to work.

hahaha...I was actually thinking about the kinds of people who value land, horses, and "rural" things like that...stuff that generally can't be found in-town. I happen to know some of those people and while they dislike their commutes, it's worth it to them (and not because they're looking for reasons to not be home).

Derek Mar 22, 2007 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 2709808)
Hey Guys, I started a Hilton thread in the High Rise Construction section of the forum. I know alot of you hate that one, but it's big enough to deserve it's own thread, right?

yes, it is big :)

and i do like it...;)

Derek Mar 22, 2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 2709064)
Anyone been down to Diamond View Tower lately? They have a killer photo built into their curtain wall. I won't say what it is, so check it out.. it's at the entrance!

will do ;)

Urban Sky Mar 23, 2007 7:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2710530)
will do ;)

whats ur sig from D?

HurricaneHugo Mar 23, 2007 7:20 AM

does anybody have a good new pic of the ballpark with the projects around it?

Derek Mar 23, 2007 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2711633)
whats ur sig from D?

a video on youtube:tup:

Derek Mar 23, 2007 6:11 PM

oh and the San Diegan is finally higher than its neighbor, the Lofts at Broadway :tup:

Urban Sky Mar 23, 2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 2711647)
does anybody have a good new pic of the ballpark with the projects around it?

no but ill probably be down there this weekend. hopefully. :yes:

Derek Mar 23, 2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2713139)
no but ill probably be down there this weekend. hopefully. :yes:

ill definitly be down there...so ill see what i can do;)

Filambata Mar 24, 2007 12:38 AM

Lane Field Development

Here's a rendering of the proposed Lane Field development from another angle from the architect's website.

http://www.jwdainc.com/images/2007MarchNewsImage.jpg

Joseph Wong Design Associates

Derek Mar 24, 2007 12:47 AM

the front tower actually looks pretty good from this angle ;)

HurricaneHugo Mar 24, 2007 4:17 AM

looks better, but no twins!

Derek Mar 24, 2007 5:56 AM

whats up with First and J...its a big ugly parking lot...AGAIN!:(

spoonman Mar 24, 2007 7:08 AM

Kind of off topic...I don't know if any of you check out the other threads, but here's a link to the “What's the most shameful monstrosity ever built in your city?” thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=119127

This is my personal favorite, "Torre Velasca" in Milan. It makes babies cry...
http://www.todaviapordeterminar.com/...re_Velasca.jpg

eburress Mar 24, 2007 10:19 AM

^^ Buildings should never get wider as they get taller. Never. Always wider at the base than at the top.

Derek Mar 24, 2007 4:34 PM

aside from the roof, i kinda like it :shrug:

Derek Mar 24, 2007 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2713902)
whats up with First and J...its a big ugly parking lot...AGAIN!:(

i guess its First and Island...not first and J...anyways i found this info from the CCDC website...i just dont understand why they bulldozed an old parking, paid for a new parking, and now they are gonna build on the new parking lot later this year (presumably...):shrug:

Located in downtown San Diego's Marina neighborhood.

Block bounded by First and Second avenues and Island and J streets

Bosa Development is proposing to construct a 38-story, mixed-use project consisting of 172 condominiums, 23,000 sf of retail space and 435 parking spaces on the block bounded by First and Second avenues and Island and J streets. The project would convert the existing J Street parking lot into a public plaza. Construction is anticipated to begin in late 2007 with completion targeted for spring 2010.

IconRPCV Mar 24, 2007 4:50 PM

To contribute to the whole commuting discussion; I commute from the ICON downtown to Temecula. I might very well be the only person that does this, "Reverse commute" but I enjoy the urbanity of downtown and unfortunatley to be able to afford it I have to work in temecula, educators make squat in SD. Hey its both ways against traffic but almost two hours in a car every day is killing me.

Derek Mar 24, 2007 4:51 PM

^what!? how did that happen? :jester:

spoonman Mar 24, 2007 5:33 PM

That tower at First & Island will add some density to that area there. I can't wait to see the rendering! Personally, I hope the tower looks a little more like the one slated for the Staples site rather than say the Grande.

Derek Mar 24, 2007 6:03 PM

it will be taller than the twin towers that will be right in front of it...i just dont understand why they spent so much money to bulldoze a parking lot...just to put another one up :shrug:

<ak/> Mar 24, 2007 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2714479)
Block bounded by First and Second avenues and Island and J streets

Bosa Development is proposing to construct a 38-story, mixed-use project consisting of 172 condominiums, 23,000 sf of retail space and 435 parking spaces on the block bounded by First and Second avenues and Island and J streets. The project would convert the existing J Street parking lot into a public plaza. Construction is anticipated to begin in late 2007 with completion targeted for spring 2010.

quite nice location :tup:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...and-Island.jpg

Derek Mar 24, 2007 6:34 PM

^indeed :)

HurricaneHugo Mar 24, 2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2714645)
it will be taller than the twin towers that will be right in front of it...i just dont understand why they spent so much money to bulldoze a parking lot...just to put another one up :shrug:

which towers?

horizon or the harbor club?

Derek Mar 24, 2007 10:37 PM

oh, the Harbor Club :)

spoonman Mar 25, 2007 5:46 AM

That site was almost developed into a new KUSI studio and hotel before the project died and Bosa bought the land. As far as KUSI goes, I pulled this exerpt from Wikipedia:

"In the fall of 2007, KUSI was planning to open new state-of-the-art streetside studios in downtown San Diego. However, the building that was supposed to house their new studio was sold. At this present time, KUSI will remain at their Kearny Mesa studios."

Here's a picture of the building that was almost built on that site.
http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyI...I%20010503.jpg

Derek Mar 25, 2007 5:47 AM

^i think we all remember this proposal quite well ;)

spoonman Mar 25, 2007 5:52 AM

I'm not sure who's seen this one and who hasn't as I believe some members have joined the forum more recently than others. As I recall, there were some mixed feelings on the project.

Derek Mar 25, 2007 5:56 AM

^true, but us old timers remember it ;)(like i qualify)...i personally liked it...others didnt...oh well...

Derek Mar 26, 2007 4:43 AM

what is your guys thoughts on the First and J (aka First and Island now...)on the transformation of an old parking lot into a new parking lot?(considering it is going to be redeveloped in the very near future) i dont really have any good reasons to guess...it just doesnt make sense to me...

spoonman Mar 26, 2007 4:51 AM

Derek, Have you been to the site? I wonder if the reason would become obvious to us if we had been there. Problem is if there was some problem with the lot or site, it would probably be fixed by now anyway.

Sorry, I raised more questions than I answered.

Derek Mar 26, 2007 4:53 AM

oh, its cool, but yeah, i was at the site on Friday...i remember a few weeks ago the site was just dirt and a fence was up(and i also saw trucks and heavy machinery on the site prior to this...), i thought something good was gonna happen...then i kind of ignored it for a few weeks...then i decide to take a walk and BAM! its a parking lot...out of nowhere:shrug:

spoonman Mar 26, 2007 5:16 AM

in the satellite pic above there is a building there. Did it go from building to parking lot to dirt to parking lot. That doesn't sound right.

Derek Mar 26, 2007 5:17 AM

the parking lot was in and outside of the building ;)

Crackertastik Mar 26, 2007 6:00 AM

you know what i have always wondered? i always remember parking near the the harbor club, and really the area is cool, but if you arent a part of the club, it might as well nothing at all. tall buildings always are hotels, condos, offices, or some mixture of that. very secluded. Why cant they make vertical public space? land is at a premium, and downtown needs park space. why cant we build the park up instead of out? one block, 400 feet high, maybe 15 levels, different parks, landscaping, art dispays, skate parks, vantage points, restaurants, running paths, swimming pools, etc? why cant they make an entire building with tons with the things you would find in your park? i think that would be a very innovative idea.

Derek Mar 26, 2007 6:01 AM

^that would be something cool...but 400 feet seems a bit high!! unfortunately, i dont think there would be much public demand for this type of structure...

spoonman Mar 26, 2007 6:12 AM

I posted a La Jolla Commons thread along with the others. Does anyone have info on any other UTC projects. Isn't there is a Monte Verde project that may contain (4) 40-floor buildings there? Does anyone know what happened to this project?