SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

PoscStudent Jul 30, 2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5780283)
I was reading through the list of 2012 capital projects (posted by a few people in other SJ threads) and noticed construction of an 8 unit strip mall in Torbay. Does anyone know what this is all about? It may not have anything to do with retail, but I decided to post here since it was stated as a strip mall.

At the bottom of Piperstock Hill there's a sign for a strip mall.

wrwalsh Aug 9, 2012 5:55 PM

Orange store being built on Kenmount rd (near donovans) will have a subway built in

IronMan Aug 10, 2012 9:48 PM

Does anyone know what is being built next to the Buck or Two in the Stavanger Drive area? Site work has started on something.

statbass Aug 13, 2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 5794825)
Does anyone know what is being built next to the Buck or Two in the Stavanger Drive area? Site work has started on something.

I noticed the same thing over the weekend. I had no idea anything was planned for that site. It is, however, nice to see some infill there since that parking lot is a lot of wasted space. I also noticed the area in front of Mark's on Kelsey has been gated off. I think this will be the new site for Swiss Chalet - this has not yet been confirmed though.

A325 Aug 16, 2012 1:45 PM

I believe PF Changs is back in the proposed Harbour front restaurant development next to the Keg along with the other restaurant Legros and Motti

J_Murphy Aug 16, 2012 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A325 (Post 5800346)
I believe PF Changs is back in the proposed Harbour front restaurant development next to the Keg along with the other restaurant Legros and Motti

Any idea on a construction date?

techie Aug 17, 2012 3:29 PM

techie Aug 17, 2012 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5796748)
I noticed the same thing over the weekend. I had no idea anything was planned for that site. It is, however, nice to see some infill there since that parking lot is a lot of wasted space. I also noticed the area in front of Mark's on Kelsey has been gated off. I think this will be the new site for Swiss Chalet - this has not yet been confirmed though.

I just got confirmation that the new development in front of Mark's on Kelsey Drive is a TD Bank.

they are putting the Swiss Chalet, along with a Royal Bank in front of the Staples on Kelsey.

statbass Aug 17, 2012 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techie (Post 5801812)
I just got confirmation that the new development in front of Mark's on Kelsey Drive is a TD Bank.

they are putting the Swiss Chalet, along with a Royal Bank in front of the Staples on Kelsey.

^^^^ Thanks for the update! TD is really upping its presence in the city. I believe they just recently opened a new branch in Manuels and another branch will be built on Stavanger, site of the former Penney Preowned dealership.

A325 Aug 17, 2012 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5800356)
Any idea on a construction date?

Doesn't look like it is gonna be any sooner than next spring/summer

jeddy1989 Aug 20, 2012 1:21 PM

My friend just told me that they said on the radio that H&M are opening a location here... could this finally be true? lol

Copes Aug 20, 2012 1:32 PM

On a visit this weekend, my parents brought me a Banana Republic shirt from the outlet in Halifax. Apparently, when asked about a return, the clerk told them an outlet would be opening here within 90 days. Another clerk then butted in and said she thought the outlet was delayed, and wouldn't be here that soon.

None the less, it looks like Banana Republic might be on the way. I for one am very pleased about that.

statbass Aug 20, 2012 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copes (Post 5804446)
On a visit this weekend, my parents brought me a Banana Republic shirt from the outlet in Halifax. Apparently, when asked about a return, the clerk told them an outlet would be opening here within 90 days. Another clerk then butted in and said she thought the outlet was delayed, and wouldn't be here that soon.

None the less, it looks like Banana Republic might be on the way. I for one am very pleased about that.

^^^^ Hmm... it does sound promising! I'd love for a BR (and Tommy Hilfiger) outlet to come to St. John's. However, I'm a little reluctant to get my hopes up until something official is announced. Retail locations always seem subject to change quite often. But hey, BR employees would definitely know more about new locations than me... :yes:

As for the H&M, if this was announced on the radio I would give it some credit for sure. A couple of months back a writer for The Scope contacted H&M and inquired about a potential opening in St. John's. Their response indicated they did not have planned openings in 2012 but (of course) that could change. Here is a link to the discussion:

http://thescope.ca/wha/is-hm-coming-to-st-johns

PoscStudent Aug 20, 2012 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copes (Post 5804446)

The plans for the new phase of the Stavanger Drive area, around Rona, shows the Gap as one of the stores going there, I thought from the beginning that it could be Banana Republic because I've never seen a Gap in a big box store development but have seen BR.

statbass Aug 20, 2012 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5804656)
The plans for the new phase of the Stavanger Drive area, around Rona, shows the Gap as one of the stores going there, I thought from the beginning that it could be Banana Republic because I've never seen a Gap in a big box store development but have seen BR.

I noticed the same thing when looking at the site plans a few months back... Actually, I think I attached a link to the PDF in a previous post. If the rumor holds true this could very well be the spot... it seems plausible.

icetea93 Aug 20, 2012 5:09 PM

H&M is likely opening as they are opening in Fredericton this year and are looking at opening a second Halifax location as well!

MonctonRad Aug 20, 2012 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icetea93 (Post 5804692)
H&M is likely opening as they are opening in Fredericton this year and are looking at opening a second Halifax location as well!

H&M has been open in Moncton for well over a year and BR is opening a factory store in the Mapleton Centre in Moncton this fall, so I would not be surprised to see them coming to St. John's too.

Marty_Mcfly Aug 20, 2012 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5804442)
My friend just told me that they said on the radio that H&M are opening a location here... could this finally be true? lol

H&M has been in the middle of rumors around St. John's for years. As of March of this year, H&M apparently had no plans to open a location in St. John's for this year. Anything could happen next year I suppose

SignalHillHiker Aug 31, 2012 1:26 AM

That bra place won the international award for best business in NYC, and now the Newfoundland Chocolate Company has won a big one as well:

http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releas...rd/0830n03.htm

statbass Sep 1, 2012 6:51 PM

A friend of mine was shopping at Banana Republic in Halifax a couple weeks back and was chatting with the store manager. She mentioned it would be great if BR opened a store in St. John's. The manager told her that BR has plans to open in St. John's and were waiting until their new store in Moncton was completed. Again, this is not a gaurantee BR will be coming to St. John's but I think it's definitely a strong sign. Likewise, location and time frame remain to be seen.