SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

J_Murphy Jan 19, 2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 7303832)
While the province's fiscal situation is bad I don't think a lot of businesses have to be overly worried. We aren't seeing mass layoffs - yet anyway - in the oil and gas industry like has been the case in Alberta. It's also not expected that governments will be laying off people.

I was speaking with a friend over the weekend and she said that a big company involved in the oil/gas sector she works with laid off 20 people last week...So it may be starting.

BigRedSpecial Jan 19, 2016 2:42 PM

It most certainly has started. My former employer has laid off dozens of people in the last year, myself included.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 19, 2016 7:55 PM

It started a while ago. I know people who've been laid off in the field. It's just been more subtle than what's happened in Alberta.

Arrakis Jan 22, 2016 2:47 PM

Anyone hear the rumor that The Village mall is being sold again and will be converted to a factory warehouse style mall? Just a rumor I heard floating around.

Sox Jan 27, 2016 6:04 PM

I see that the old Dominion on the corner of newfoundland drive / Torbay Road has now been Leased.

Seen recently on Facebook that a Trampoline Park, is scheduled to be coming to St.John's.

Could this be their operating location ? They are going to need a fairly large space to open such a facility.

J_Murphy Feb 3, 2016 12:01 PM

Lowe's buying Canadian rival Rona for $3.2B

Quote:

U.S. home improvement chain Lowe's is buying Canadian rival Rona in a friendly takeover valued at $3.2 billion Cdn.

The boards of both companies unanimously approved the transaction, they said in a news release early Wednesday.

The deal gives the U.S. chain more of a foothold in Canada's competitive home improvement and renovation retail market, especially in Quebec, where Rona dominates the market.

Lowe's has agreed its Canadian headquarters will be in Boucherville, Que., and said it will maintain Rona's multiple retail store banners.

Lowe's has also committed "to continue to employ the vast majority of its current employees and maintain key executives from Rona's strong leadership team," the release said

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lowe...over-1.3431463

Arrakis Feb 3, 2016 4:22 PM

This was bound to happen sooner or later as Lowe's attempted to buy RONA previously but unsuccessfully. Hopefully this won't turn out like the ill-fated Target/Zellers buyout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7322876)

Larla77 Feb 7, 2016 11:10 PM

The former Dominion on the corner of Newfoundland Drive and Torbay Road has finally been leased by another owner. Have heard that it will be a Colemans which is exciting.

Also Ricki's is closing in the mall. Heard through a friend that the mall rent was too high and they are hoping to open a stand alone on Merchant or Kelsey (like the Stavanger area one I would say). Lululemon going in that spot. I saw a hiring ad for them already on linkedin.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 8, 2016 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 7327714)
The former Dominion on the corner of Newfoundland Drive and Torbay Road has finally been leased by another owner. Have heard that it will be a Colemans which is exciting.

Also Ricki's is closing in the mall. Heard through a friend that the mall rent was too high and they are hoping to open a stand alone on Merchant or Kelsey (like the Stavanger area one I would say). Lululemon going in that spot. I saw a hiring ad for them already on linkedin.

I think we had heard about Ricki's leaving the mall a while back, right around when Sephora was taking over next to them. Not surprised, really.

IronMan Feb 9, 2016 2:39 AM

According to the job ads online the Lululemon store is a 'Pop-up-Store', which means that is is only a temporary location. Seen them around before, usually in the downtown.

J_Murphy Feb 9, 2016 11:40 AM

I was in Sears this weekend and noticed they don't sell electronics anymore. So if you are planning to go to Sears to look for a TV, don't waste your time.

Arrakis Feb 9, 2016 2:10 PM

Sears gave up selling electronics some time ago now. They are slowly bleeding to death.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7329146)
I was in Sears this weekend and noticed they don't sell electronics anymore. So if you are planning to go to Sears to look for a TV, don't waste your time.

wmemeadusjr Feb 11, 2016 7:50 PM

The Avalon Mall has been in the news again. Apparently, a proposal is forthcoming on the reconfigured intersection of Kenmount and Polina Roads to be done with the City of St. John's. It will be part of a bigger proposal for the area. My guess is that there will be at least a free standing restaurant or two included on each side of this new intersection. I also heard that there are big plans for the nearby Woodgate Plaza which is now owned by Crombie (the Avalon Mall's owners). I can speculate that the lots will be merged. The rumour of H&M has been swirling around again for the Avalon Mall. I know the Woodgate will soon have lots of free space when Leon's moves to their new location in the old Canadian Tire building on Elizabeth Avenue.

statbass Feb 12, 2016 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7332576)
The Avalon Mall has been in the news again. Apparently, a proposal is forthcoming on the reconfigured intersection of Kenmount and Polina Roads to be done with the City of St. John's. It will be part of a bigger proposal for the area. My guess is that there will be at least a free standing restaurant or two included on each side of this new intersection. I also heard that there are big plans for the nearby Woodgate Plaza which is now owned by Crombie (the Avalon Mall's owners). I can speculate that the lots will be merged. The rumour of H&M has been swirling around again for the Avalon Mall. I know the Woodgate will soon have lots of free space when Leon's moves to their new location in the old Canadian Tire building on Elizabeth Avenue.

Hmm, funny you say that. I was driving by that part of the mall parking lot last week and noticed a guy taking pictures of the brook that separates the Avalon mall and Leon's/Toys R Us. At first I thought it was a little strange but after reading your post I'm thinking it could be the beginning of some geotechnical work. Interesting stuff....

Arrakis Feb 12, 2016 5:14 PM

I said this before and I say it again. Avalon Mall is so behind the times. It's old and so out of date with the modern mall/shopping centres everywhere else in the world. I mean, they still have that tacky stone facade on the front of Sears thats been there since 1967 when mall first opened.

They don't realize how good they have it here where the weather sucks most every day of the year (LOL) so its nice to be able to shop inside instead of going to a big box park. But the mall looks like 1980's when you walk inside there. Time for a major update.

On a side note, I wonder if they could somehow link the Woodgate plaza to the existing mall by going over the river. At least link the parking lots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7332576)

wmemeadusjr Feb 12, 2016 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7333636)
I said this before and I say it again. Avalon Mall is so behind the times. It's old and so out of date with the modern mall/shopping centres everywhere else in the world. I mean, they still have that tacky stone facade on the front of Sears thats been there since 1967 when mall first opened.

They don't realize how good they have it here where the weather sucks most every day of the year (LOL) so its nice to be able to shop inside instead of going to a big box park. But the mall looks like 1980's when you walk inside there. Time for a major update.

On a side note, I wonder if they could somehow link the Woodgate plaza to the existing mall by going over the river. At least link the parking lots.

The Avalon Mall bears a striking resemblance to the Toronto underground PATH system. The Village actually looks more like the type of mall you would find anywhere else in the world. As for the stone facade on Sears, the mall must be hoping if they leave it like that long enough, it will come back in again.

Arrakis Feb 13, 2016 2:56 PM

You are so right, last time I was in Toronto underground PATH mall, that's what it totally reminded me of, the Avalon Mall. How can a mall like Avalon Mall be only mostly one floor and be so dull and dreary? They even have skylights in the newer 2-story section and you wouldn't know it. And let's not forget, the main entrance is through a food court. LOL. They should just bulldoze the whole thing and start from scratch. Lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7333831)
The Avalon Mall bears a striking resemblance to the Toronto underground PATH system. The Village actually looks more like the type of mall you would find anywhere else in the world. As for the stone facade on Sears, the mall must be hoping if they leave it like that long enough, it will come back in again.

PoscStudent Feb 13, 2016 10:49 PM

Inside the Avalon Mall has had a number of renovations over the last decade or so.

I also heard that H&M has a coming soon for St. John's on their website.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 13, 2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 7335027)
Inside the Avalon Mall has had a number of renovations over the last decade or so.

Unfortunately, that's not true. H&M to St. John's rumors are as old as time itself, it'd be unnatural if they were to ever be true. What else would we have to look forward to? :haha:

J_Murphy Feb 15, 2016 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 7335027)

I couldn't find any such information. I agree with Marty, this rumour is as old as time...LOL