SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Arrakis Nov 5, 2012 6:17 PM

See, whenever I walk into the Bowring store at Stavanger, I always get that vibe of total smugness there. Like "you can't afford that, go somewhere else".

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5891230)
Luckily, I couldn't possibly care less about Canadian brands like Sears. I still support Bowring over Stokes, of course, even though the Bowring family has been removed from the chain for some time...

But Sears, etc. Good riddance. Target I welcome. I'm sick of paying extra for Canadian smugness. Same with Air Canada. Let'em f***ing go bankrupt. I'd much rather support companies that don't make us feel like we should be honoured to buy from them.

Townie709 Nov 5, 2012 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5891271)
Bring back the fountain too. LOL.

Yes. The village died for me when the fountain was removed. What about all their years of advertising the slogan "meet me at the fountain" guess that was thrown in the toilet :haha:

Maybe someday the fountain will return!

Arrakis Nov 5, 2012 8:13 PM

Hate how they keep sticking big store signs on the exterior of the building every time a notable tenant opens up there. It's kinda the equivalent of those tacky roadside signs. Eventually the Village is gonna be covered with those lit signs. Kinda mesmerizing at night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5891344)
Yes. The village died for me when the fountain was removed. What about all their years of advertising the slogan "meet me at the fountain" guess that was thrown in the toilet :haha:

Maybe someday the fountain will return!

Arrakis Nov 6, 2012 4:32 PM

Has anyone heard the rumor that the current Keg location on Harbour Drive is going to become an Olive Garden and the Keg owners will build a bigger Keg next door? Any truth to this or is it just hearsay? This restaurant project seems to have stalled and there hasn't been any activity there for some time.

Marty_Mcfly Nov 6, 2012 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5892313)
Has anyone heard the rumor that the current Keg location on Harbour Drive is going to become an Olive Garden and the Keg owners will build a bigger Keg next door? Any truth to this or is it just hearsay? This restaurant project seems to have stalled and there hasn't been any activity there for some time.

Interesting rumor. I can't confirm or deny. The last I heard about the restaurant next door, was that PF Chang was back on the table, along with another restaurant. None the less, I'd welcome an Olive Garden downtown :tup:

EDIT: Did a bit of searching, sounds like a sad rumor. Olive Garden would probably put a location in Toronto (which it appears they do not have) before St. John's. Boo.

PoscStudent Nov 6, 2012 5:49 PM

A bigger Keg would be smart.

Arrakis Nov 6, 2012 5:56 PM

Funny, there use to be an Olive Garden in Toronto. I have eaten there but there is no listing for a Toronto location now. Unusual. Guess it all depends on how much cash the franchisee has I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5892420)
Interesting rumor. I can't confirm or deny. The last I heard about the restaurant next door, was that PF Chang was back on the table, along with another restaurant. None the less, I'd welcome an Olive Garden downtown :tup:

EDIT: Did a bit of searching, sounds like a sad rumor. Olive Garden would probably put a location in Toronto (which it appears they do not have) before St. John's. Boo.

Marty_Mcfly Nov 6, 2012 6:03 PM

Olive Garden is amazing AND cheap. I really don't know what else you'd ever need in a restaurant.

Robg Nov 6, 2012 9:37 PM

Nope its deff not an Olive Garden, it will indeed be a PF Changs and Legros & Motti http://legrosmotti.com/, which is an original concept french italian spot. It was supposed to be started the summer but any day now is what they are saying, the hold up is getting on the companies on the construction side lined up.

SignalHillHiker Nov 6, 2012 9:40 PM

:previous:

Fantastic! I wouldn't bother going to Olive Garden but this place looks interesting! Thank you for the update.

SpongeG Nov 6, 2012 10:41 PM

i didn't know we had pf changs in canada - people from vancouver go crazy for them in seattle - i don't get it myself you can get better food at a cheapy asian place in richmond

Townie709 Nov 6, 2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 5892771)
i didn't know we had pf changs in canada - people from vancouver go crazy for them in seattle - i don't get it myself you can get better food at a cheapy asian place in richmond

I ate at a PF Chang's recently while I was in California over the summer. Honestly, it surpassed my expectations. I'm not sure about elsewhere, but it was certainly a whole lot better than the Chinese food we get around here! :haha:

ConundrumNL Nov 6, 2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robg (Post 5892706)
Nope its deff not an Olive Garden, it will indeed be a PF Changs and Legros & Motti http://legrosmotti.com/, which is an original concept french italian spot. It was supposed to be started the summer but any day now is what they are saying, the hold up is getting on the companies on the construction side lined up.

I thought the new Travellers on Kenmount Rd was getting an Olive Garden, or was it just hearsay?

Townie709 Nov 7, 2012 12:03 AM

Not sure. I never heard that rumor. But I imagine if we were to get an Olive Garden, it would be is standalone location as it would probably be pretty popular!

jeddy1989 Nov 7, 2012 2:07 AM

:previous:

awesome description!

Quote:

Modern City Style Meets Classic European Comfort.
IN THE CITY THAT DEFINES OLD WORLD MEETS NEW, A FRESH AND EXCITING DINING EXPERIENCE IS COMING TO TOWN. LEGROS & MOTTI - ST. JOHN'S.
http://legrosmotti.com/

Arrakis Nov 7, 2012 2:13 AM

You know, at this point in the game it could be anything. From what I understand, that project was approved ages ago and there still is no movement after all this time. I doubt we will truly know what's going there until the buildings are almost finished.

jeddy1989 Nov 7, 2012 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robg (Post 5892706)

sounds right to me

SpongeG Nov 7, 2012 5:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5892809)
I ate at a PF Chang's recently while I was in California over the summer. Honestly, it surpassed my expectations. I'm not sure about elsewhere, but it was certainly a whole lot better than the Chinese food we get around here! :haha:

yeah i've had it a couple times its good - but i guess in vancouver with a large asian population we are spoiled and have many many good places with chinese food and has been said probably the best chinese food in the world

whenever i eat chinese food anywhere else its pretty bad and "westernized" i guess you could say

Arrakis Nov 8, 2012 3:08 PM

I heard that Walmart is opening this weekend at Hamlyn Road. Anyone have confirmation?

J_Murphy Nov 8, 2012 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5894921)
I heard that Walmart is opening this weekend at Hamlyn Road. Anyone have confirmation?

You are right. I'm pretty sure I saw the flyer at home saying it was opening this weekend.