SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

MrX Nov 20, 2017 1:18 AM

Ground. That’s the only floor not occupied today. Vale Are on the 2nd and Verafin presently the 3rd and 4th.

NewfBC Nov 20, 2017 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 7990185)
There's one, in Kitchener or London, maybe. I believe, assuming there's no others in the works, that we'd be number 2.

There's only one .. in Toronto (Scarborough).

Ron.

Larla77 Nov 20, 2017 1:54 PM

The building Verafin is in is fully leased according to the sign out front. Looks like they are just finishing up some renos on the first floor. The Axtion building is well underway in the area as well. The Newfoundland Chocolate Company has plans to build a factory in the Hebron area as well as they've outgrown their current facilities.

One of the call centres is moving into the back of the old Zellers/Target building. There are windows in the back that didn't used to be there before so it looks like renovations are coming along there.

Looks like the Bell Store is moving into the former Source location next to Hallmark. I saw Bell counters in there last week while going into Hallmark.

The building Pets Unlimited was in is now Ricki's and Cleo. Has been for at least a year now.

I read an article that Costco has plans to expand its Business Centres in Canada to more major cities in Canada in the next 5 years so its certainly possible they could keep both locations. Although with the current stand-off between Danny Williams and the City I don't think there will be much development in Galway anytime soon.

IronMan Jan 23, 2018 8:49 PM

Loos like the Wal-Mart on Kelsey is going to be the first Supercentre in tbe city. Lots of work going on in there - a worker said it was because they were installing a full grocery section as they are converting to a Supercentre.

djslue Jan 23, 2018 8:57 PM

Great News!

ec1983 Jan 24, 2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8057865)
Loos like the Wal-Mart on Kelsey is going to be the first Supercentre in tbe city. Lots of work going on in there - a worker said it was because they were installing a full grocery section as they are converting to a Supercentre.

The Kelsey Drive store and Mount Pearl location will both be undergoing a fairly significant renovation very soon.

Larla77 Jan 24, 2018 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8057865)

I assumed all the Wal-Marts in town got rid of their garages so there would be space for more groceries. Any word on the Stavanger one?

Heard on NTV the other night that the Mall would be announcing plans for the old Sears location soon. Was at the mall last weekend and the staff at the store I was shopping at told me that they were extending the hall and splitting up the space. That part of the building needs to be madeover - looks basically the same as when Woolco was there. They also mentioned an additional floor and I can't remember if that was officially announced yet.

KDMusic Jan 24, 2018 9:07 PM

Found two images on Crombie Reit's website that I'm assuming are showing more of the Mall's future renovation plans

https://i.imgur.com/DvxnQv2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2sftAm5.jpg

wmemeadusjr Feb 3, 2018 6:39 PM

Walmart Supercentres are coming to St. John's and Mount Pearl. There are even large banners outside saying so at Mount Pearl Kelsey. Stavanger and Topsail, however, do not have the banners up.

wmemeadusjr Feb 3, 2018 6:46 PM

I noticed some east end activity recently. The building that houses Golf Town (the late), Carter's, Party City, etc is expanding again next to Party City. This building was built as an expandable complex to grow as needed. I'm guessing a lease has been signed by a retailer to open up there. I just don't understand why they are building on when the former Golf Town space sits empty. Maybe that's been leased as well. Who knows.

I also noticed the former Cineplex/Empire Theatre site on Hebron Way that never materialized is now in full swing with construction equipment, materials and trailers. Does anybody know what's going there? Offices? Retail? Cineplex afterall?

Marty_Mcfly Feb 3, 2018 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8072386)
I noticed some east end activity recently. The building that houses Golf Town (the late), Carter's, Party City, etc is expanding again next to Party City. This building was built as an expandable complex to grow as needed. I'm guessing a lease has been signed by a retailer to open up there. I just don't understand why they are building on when the former Golf Town space sits empty. Maybe that's been leased as well. Who knows.

I also noticed the former Cineplex/Empire Theatre site on Hebron Way that never materialized is now in full swing with construction equipment, materials and trailers. Does anybody know what's going there? Offices? Retail? Cineplex afterall?

^Office building

goodgrowth Feb 3, 2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8072379)
Walmart Supercentres are coming to St. John's and Mount Pearl. There are even large banners outside saying so at Mount Pearl Kelsey. Stavanger and Topsail, however, do not have the banners up.

Interesting, I'm not sure how much bigger the Walmart Supercentres are compared to a normal store but the Kelsey and Mount Pearl locations seem like they wouldn't have any room to expand...

djslue Feb 4, 2018 8:57 PM

They are using the space from the Auto center from what I understand and maybe building on also

statbass Feb 5, 2018 12:47 PM

Not sure if this has already been posted here but I read a few days ago that Second Cup location on Water St. has closed down. It's tough to see a major chain close up shop. Hopefully the locally owned ones are fairing better. It's a tough time being in the food and beverage industry right now, especially after coming off a 10-12 year run of record business.

EDIT: Just noticed this on the restaurant thread (which would be the appropriate thread to post in the first place ... :oops). Mods can move if they wish.

CBSNewbie Feb 6, 2018 1:34 PM

I'm new to the area and have been following these threads for a couple of years. Here is the URL for Walmart Renovations – 3196 (Aberdeen Ave, St. John’s).
http://www.olympic-construction.nf.c...rt_renovation/

IronMan Feb 7, 2018 1:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBSNewbie (Post 8074839)
I'm new to the area and have been following these threads for a couple of years. Here is the URL for Walmart Renovations – 3196 (Aberdeen Ave, St. John’s).
http://www.olympic-construction.nf.c...rt_renovation/

This is a great find - and confirms that the Aberdeen Ave location will also be converted to a Supercentre. This makes three in total - I guess the Topsail Rd store will remain as is.

MelH Feb 7, 2018 2:29 PM

I think that the Topsail Road store is a little different since they lease that space from Sobeys. They don't have the full control over the building, etc. like in the other locations.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 7, 2018 2:34 PM

^Topsail Road is really too small of a store to be converted. Three out of four isn't bad.

statbass Feb 7, 2018 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8075862)
This is a great find - and confirms that the Aberdeen Ave location will also be converted to a Supercentre. This makes three in total - I guess the Topsail Rd store will remain as is.

I agree, a great find indeed. Thanks, CBSNewbie! :cheers:

techguy123 Feb 9, 2018 1:34 AM

Hello, long time lurker, first post!
I hope they can get the design of those Walmart sorted out in the remodel. I prefer the design attached just because it is centred, even if it is a bit outdated. I like the design of topsail better just because at least it's centred. Hopefully the other departments of the stores are expanded too! I've seen sometimes the mcdonalds is removed when Walmart remodels, hopefully this doesn't happen to Kelsey or Mt Pearl because it's a bit of a drive to get to McDonalds from those locations.
Also, didn't see it posted here but dollarama on rope walk is open, and it seems like the one in the old dominion/home hardware on topsail is open as well.https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api...57881722971382
Also apparently the rules say I need to credit the images so this was found on Google Earth.