SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

SpongeG Jan 7, 2013 10:25 PM

sony is shutting down lots of its stores seems they want to shift focus away from their retail - they started shutting down stores in 2011

Quote:

The closure is not likely to be Sony's last, based on Sony's new CEO Kazuo Hiraio statement on April 12th, when he announced the company would be shedding 10,000 employees in an aggressive move to turn around the ailing tech giant's fortunes. The announcement was light on specifics, but there is little doubt that Sony Style stores falling below the profitability are no longer going to be viewed as a mere marketing tool for the company.
Quote:

Sony is moving to focus it's business efforts on digital imaging, the gaming industry and mobile and will invest more in these areas moving forward. But Sony is without it's own software platform, and increasing pressure from a weak dollar and strong yen make it hard to see Sony delivering a growth story against long established players like Apple and a well positioned Samsung. Without Sony having it's own OS in which to deliver a value proposition price becomes king, and that is a space Sony has never cared to play in, and when they have, it has seen little success.
http://www.t-gaap.com/2012/4/20/sony...retail-success

Townie709 Jan 7, 2013 10:41 PM

Aw..... I liked the Sony store! That's too bad. Oh well, it would be such a perfect location for an apple store!! (We can dream!)

statbass Jan 8, 2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 5963283)
sony is shutting down lots of its stores seems they want to shift focus away from their retail - they started shutting down stores in 2011

http://www.t-gaap.com/2012/4/20/sony...retail-success

Yeah, I kinda thought this was more than just a Sony store shutting down here in SJ; thanks for the info!

PoscStudent Jan 8, 2013 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5963077)
Just heard that as of January 26th, the Sony Store in the Avalon Mall will be closing.

I'm actually happy to hear this, can't wait to see what goes there.

statbass Jan 8, 2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5963671)
I'm actually happy to hear this, can't wait to see what goes there.

Ditto - I don't think I've ever bought anything at that store.

J_Murphy Jan 8, 2013 1:03 PM

On the topic of the Avalon Mall, there is now a Melanie Lyne store on the bottom level next to sears. Don't know much about this store other than it is another womens fashion store, but I do recall seeing it in other cities.

jeddy1989 Jan 8, 2013 5:09 PM

here's that map of the feild power centre

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...96061215_n.jpg

this is what was released for the southlands just for comparison:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...99034038_n.jpg

how can two of the same type of developments be allowed to be so different in the same city? why doesn't council try to encourage them to make "retail villages" and more pedestrian friendly orientations to the stavanger drive area?

NOTE: there are about 20 buildings in the Feild power centre (all shown stages) and about 35 locations in the southlands/ glencrest development in STAGE 1.

(This will be posted in the east end thread as well)

I wonder what stores will be opening in the 35 retail location in the first phase of the Southlands/ Glencrest development?

There is already quite a bit near by on the other side of the highway in Mount Pearl!.. possibly many new stores? (oh and of course a new Empire theatres)

SignalHillHiker Jan 8, 2013 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5964428)
how can two of the same type of developments be allowed to be so different in the same city?

Because reasons.

jeddy1989 Jan 8, 2013 5:16 PM

it's a lot of stores being built in the near future :) I feel like the retail in Kelsey didnt get a fair kick at the can .. not near as much up there .. and now they are just building a bunch of office buildings

jeddy1989 Jan 8, 2013 6:13 PM

So stores that will not be likely to open in the Southlands/ Glencrest development are the following: (they are located just across the highway on the Mount Pearl side

- Quiznos
- Canadian Tire
- Kent
- Wal Mart
- Staples
- Dominion
- the source
- Pizza Delight
- Marks Work wearhouse
- Reitmans
- Halmark
- Easyhome
- Rogers
- Bulk Barn
- Smithy's
- Sobeys
- A&W
- Wendys

They will probably put in a boston Pizza and Swiss Chalet is already rumoured to go in Mount Pearl.. maybe a montanas?

I do not know whic Grocry store that will be as indicated in the plan .. also the hardware, maybe a home depot? seems a bit small though I dont know?

christopher_chafe Jan 8, 2013 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5964545)
So stores that will not be likely to open in the Southlands/ Glencrest development are the following: (they are located just across the highway on the Mount Pearl side

- Quiznos
- Canadian Tire
- Kent
- Wal Mart
- Staples
- Dominion
- the source
- Pizza Delight
- Marks Work wearhouse
- Reitmans
- Halmark
- Easyhome
- Rogers
- Bulk Barn
- Smithy's
- Sobeys
- A&W
- Wendys

They will probably put in a boston Pizza and Swiss Chalet is already rumoured to go in Mount Pearl.. maybe a montanas?

I do not know whic Grocry store that will be as indicated in the plan .. also the hardware, maybe a home depot? seems a bit small though I dont know?

Hardware is rumored to be Lowes. As for Grocery Store really hard to say.

PoscStudent Jan 8, 2013 6:22 PM

Here's the map for Dartmouth Crossing. What's great about there is they have the "big box stores" (Walmart, Home Depot, Canadian Tire and a few others) in one area, with Costco being in a separate area. Then they have smaller retail stores, mainly clothing, in another area with three restaurants being onside of an Empire Theatres. When I was there I spent my time in the area of the clothing stores and didn't even realize that Walmart and Canadian Tire was only hundreds of feet away, and I was there for a day and a half.

The clothing stores area is compact, pedestrian friendly, and the buildings look much nicer then Stavanger Drive.

http://www.dartmouthcrossing.com/sto...on-and-map.php

christopher_chafe Jan 8, 2013 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5964556)
Here's the map for Dartmouth Crossing. What's great about there is they have the "big box stores" (Walmart, Home Depot, Canadian Tire and a few others) in one area, with Costco being in a separate area. Then they have smaller retail stores, mainly clothing, in another area with three restaurants being onside of an Empire Theatres. When I was there I spent my time in the area of the clothing stores and didn't even realize that Walmart and Canadian Tire was only hundreds of feet away, and I was there for a day and a half.

The clothing stores area is compact, pedestrian friendly, and the buildings look much nicer then Stavanger Drive.

http://www.dartmouthcrossing.com/sto...on-and-map.php

I truly hope that is how Dannyland will look

jeddy1989 Jan 8, 2013 6:40 PM

I wonder how large the Glencrest commercial development will be. Will it be larger than Dartmouth Crossing? I though I read somewhere that it will be?

christopher_chafe Jan 8, 2013 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5964586)
I wonder how large the Glencrest commercial development will be. Will it be larger than Dartmouth Crossing? I though I read somewhere that it will be?

Also aren't there going to me multiple phases?

Arrakis Jan 8, 2013 7:25 PM

I heard that the supermarket in the new Soundlands/Glencrest development is going to be Coleman's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher_chafe (Post 5964550)
Hardware is rumored to be Lowes. As for Grocery Store really hard to say.

christopher_chafe Jan 8, 2013 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5964673)
I heard that the supermarket in the new Soundlands/Glencrest development is going to be Coleman's.

Would make sense....though wasn't Coleman's supposed to go closer to the intersection at Ruby Line?

PoscStudent Jan 8, 2013 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5964586)

It's suppose to be the biggest development even proposed for Atlantic Canada I believe.

Robg Jan 8, 2013 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5964673)

Yes its a Coleman's, one of the managers was telling me it will have a liquorstore and all in it.

Trevor3 Jan 8, 2013 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robg (Post 5964885)
Yes its a Coleman's, one of the managers was telling me it will have a liquorstore and all in it.

Sounds much like "Coleman's at the Gardens" in Corner Brook. It has a liquor store, bakery, deli, sushi bar, lunch counter etc... Really nice spot actually.