SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

SignalHillHiker Dec 27, 2012 10:22 PM

Yeah... the west end is definitely where it's at these days. I'm surprised, really, that their first location isn't out there.

Trevor3 Dec 27, 2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5951597)
Hey guys, has anyone heard if Target is going to build onto the Zellers building once Zellers moves out? It's quite small for a Target store. There is a good chunk of land though on the side between Zellers and the Kent store to expand on if needed which would propbably be smart. I would say Target once established in St. John's will end up building a new bigger store in the west end also. Most likely in the new power centre in Southlands area once that gets going. Lets hope.

Yes, Target has purchased that location and the Zellers in Corner Brook as well. Both stores will be closing by the end of March and then undergoing extensive renovations.

It's is difficult to say what size Target stores will be since they have never been in Canada before. When Wal-Mart first came to Canada in 94 they opened a string of stores in Woolco locations that were far below the standards of their American stores. Our Stephenville Wal-Mart is less than 60,000 sq.ft., which I believe makes it the smallest in Canada and one of the few original stores still operating. The Corner Brook Target will be the same size as the current Zellers since there is no way to expand, unless they go up.

Target wants to be in competition with Wal-Mart, eventually they'll have a Target store up against every Wal-Mart in the province. That could take 10-15 years of slow, well conducted expansion.

JCE Dec 27, 2012 10:37 PM

Not sure what the plans are but council did approve the "Target Retail Store Site Plan" in mid November as seen on the development permits list. (on page 11)

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...026%202012.pdf

Arrakis Dec 28, 2012 4:58 PM

I would say though once they are all opened in Canada, they would start building their own stores much like Walmart did.

My prediction is that once Target is established in Canada, Sears days are numbered Canada and will eventually close. So don't be surprised if you eventually see a Target at Avalon Mall some day that is, if they don't build a store up near Kelsey's Walmart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor3 (Post 5951620)
Yes, Target has purchased that location and the Zellers in Corner Brook as well. Both stores will be closing by the end of March and then undergoing extensive renovations.

It's is difficult to say what size Target stores will be since they have never been in Canada before. When Wal-Mart first came to Canada in 94 they opened a string of stores in Woolco locations that were far below the standards of their American stores. Our Stephenville Wal-Mart is less than 60,000 sq.ft., which I believe makes it the smallest in Canada and one of the few original stores still operating. The Corner Brook Target will be the same size as the current Zellers since there is no way to expand, unless they go up.

Target wants to be in competition with Wal-Mart, eventually they'll have a Target store up against every Wal-Mart in the province. That could take 10-15 years of slow, well conducted expansion.

CaspinK Dec 31, 2012 9:22 PM

Showcase

With Showcase now gone, it's only a matter of time until Jump+ opens up.

Arrakis Jan 2, 2013 1:34 PM

I find it hard to believe that Showcase thinks it's going to do better business at the Village Mall rather than the Avalon Mall. I am sure the rent is cheaper at the Village but really, do you think they will are going to last by doing this move. Showcase already closed once at the Village Mall several years ago and that's when they had major anchor tenants like Sears and Walmart.
I think Jump+ will need a bit more space than what Showcase is vacating.
I wonder if Jump+ will go in the Athlete's World space when that closes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspinK (Post 5954800)
With Showcase now gone, it's only a matter of time until Jump+ opens up.

statbass Jan 2, 2013 1:50 PM

Theatres Coming Soon

Source: VOCM
Date: Jan 2, 2013
Author: Unknown

Quote:

ust two years ago, it was a large farm on Torbay Road. Now, the site will be home to retail giants. Empire Theatres was the first company to announce they would be building an 8-screen theatre complex in Field Power Centre off Torbay Road, not far from Stavanger Drive. Now, the framework for Harvey's Restaurant is near completion, and the Canadian fast-food company is accepting applications. Ward Councillor Danny Breen says there is no conclusive date yet, but Empire Theatres has said that the complex would be opening in 2013...
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...29580&latest=1

Townie709 Jan 2, 2013 2:15 PM

But they're not even started construction of the theatres, are they? How can they possibly be opening later this year if they aren't even started?? :sly:

I'll believe it when I see it!

SignalHillHiker Jan 2, 2013 2:17 PM

I can just picture Townie driving around to all of our various construction sites with a loudspeaker saying, "Come on, guys, hurry up! Faster!"

It'd be awesome. :D

Townie709 Jan 2, 2013 2:21 PM

Haha, well somebody's got to crack the whip, why not me?? That's funny because that is something I can totally see myself doing :haha:

statbass Jan 7, 2013 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5955997)
I find it hard to believe that Showcase thinks it's going to do better business at the Village Mall rather than the Avalon Mall. I am sure the rent is cheaper at the Village but really, do you think they will are going to last by doing this move. Showcase already closed once at the Village Mall several years ago and that's when they had major anchor tenants like Sears and Walmart.

Apparently Jump+ stores are relatively small. I was looking at their website a couple of days ago and judging from the pics of their new Fredericton and Moncton locations this space would probably suffice.

PoscStudent Jan 7, 2013 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5955997)

Showcase never seemed to do much business anyways.

J_Murphy Jan 7, 2013 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5962642)
Showcase never seemed to do much business anyways.

I think most of people in there just wanted to play with the mostly ridiculous items they saw on T.V., with no intention of actually buying them.

Arrakis Jan 7, 2013 7:17 PM

Totally true. I drop in there from time to time when in the mall. I just wanna see the item as seen on tv in person and usually never have any intention of purchasing anything from there. I would bet TV Showcase will be gone from the Village Mall within the year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5962654)
I think most of people in there just wanted to play with the mostly ridiculous items they saw on T.V., with no intention of actually buying them.

Arrakis Jan 7, 2013 7:18 PM

Sounds cool then. I would rather see a nice little Apple Store instead but I guess this is as close as we are gonna get for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5962628)
Apparently Jump+ stores are relatively small. I was looking at their website a couple of days ago and judging from the pics of their new Fredericton and Moncton locations this space would probably suffice.

Arrakis Jan 7, 2013 8:32 PM

Just heard that as of January 26th, the Sony Store in the Avalon Mall will be closing.

jeddy1989 Jan 7, 2013 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5963077)
Just heard that as of January 26th, the Sony Store in the Avalon Mall will be closing.

huh? that's a bit regressive isn't it?? :S you can get the products in many other places but I mean to close their actual store .. I wonder what will gobble up the spot?

Marty_Mcfly Jan 7, 2013 9:25 PM

Oh no. That was a solid store in the mall. Always a great place to stop and stare if you were stuck in the mall while the game was on :P

SpongeG Jan 7, 2013 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5952222)
I would say though once they are all opened in Canada, they would start building their own stores much like Walmart did.

My prediction is that once Target is established in Canada, Sears days are numbered Canada and will eventually close. So don't be surprised if you eventually see a Target at Avalon Mall some day that is, if they don't build a store up near Kelsey's Walmart.

most targets i have been to are inside malls, other than "urban" downtown locations i haven't been to that many stand alone stores

Arrakis Jan 7, 2013 10:09 PM

Maybe that was the problem. Too many people looking and not buying. They prob browse and then go to Costco or Best Buy to purchase. Too bad, it was a classy store.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5963162)
Oh no. That was a solid store in the mall. Always a great place to stop and stare if you were stuck in the mall while the game was on :P