SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Arrakis Dec 8, 2012 11:52 PM

Was driving by Pearlgate the other day. I think a prime spot for Swiss Chatet in Mount Pearl would be the old now vacant Rogers Video Store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5930248)
Actually, we will soon have three Swiss Chalets. The on their building on Kelsey Drive, the Stevanger Drive one, and they are building another one somewhere in Mount Pearl.

Townie709 Dec 9, 2012 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5930739)
Was driving by Pearlgate the other day. I think a prime spot for Swiss Chatet in Mount Pearl would be the old now vacant Rogers Video Store.

I was told by an employee that they bought a property and were making an extension to it, not building a brand new building (in mount pearl) I don't remember the location, so the Rogers video store is definitely a possibility

JCE Dec 10, 2012 7:13 PM

Some KFC locations in St. John's to be converted to Mary Browns as seen in the articel on the front page of today's Telegram.

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 2:55 PM

Yeah, it seems the Elizabeth Ave/Torbay Road KFC and the Freshwater Road KFC will become Mary Browns in the near future according to the article in the Dec 10 issue of The Telegram. The remaining KFC's in St. John's and Metro will remain KFC's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCE (Post 5932487)
Some KFC locations in St. John's to be converted to Mary Browns as seen in the articel on the front page of today's Telegram.

SignalHillHiker Dec 11, 2012 2:57 PM

So will Mary Browns close its other Freshwater location or operate two stores a couple of blocks apart?

The existing Freshwater location would be a great place for a condo building with some height.

J_Murphy Dec 11, 2012 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCE (Post 5932487)

Dammit, when will they bring a Taco Bell here. That is what they should convert some of the KFCs to!

PoscStudent Dec 11, 2012 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5933587)
Dammit, when will they bring a Taco Bell here. That is what they should convert some of the KFCs to!

We have a Taco Bell.

J_Murphy Dec 11, 2012 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5933669)
We have a Taco Bell.

If you are referring to the one that was in Empire Theatres in the mall, I heard that was closed. Correct me if I am wrong since I haven't been in there in a couple of years now. I just did a check of the avalon mall website and it wasn't listed under their directory. Even then, I think it was just like a Taco Bell Express or something like that.

jeddy1989 Dec 11, 2012 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5933678)
If you are referring to the one that was in Empire Theatres in the mall, I heard that was closed. Correct me if I am wrong since I haven't been in there in a couple of years now. I just did a check of the avalon mall website and it wasn't listed under their directory. Even then, I think it was just like a Taco Bell Express or something like that.

It's been closed for quite a few years now as well as the Pizza Hut that was there

statbass Dec 11, 2012 5:19 PM

Quote:

A vast majority of KFCs on the mainland also have a Taco-Bell attached (similar to Wendy's/Tim Horton's). I'm thinking if we're now going to have fewer KFCs in St. John's this may also reduce the chances of getting a KFC/Taco-Bell here..... remains to be seen, I guess. :shrug:

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 5:40 PM

The only Taco Bell we had at the Empire Cinemas at Avalon Mall has been gone for some time now I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5933669)
We have a Taco Bell.

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 5:49 PM

I really don't think that St. John's is a Taco Bell kind of town really. I mean, they had a continuous supply of customers at the mall at the cinemas. They are always busy there and Taco Bell couldn't make a go of it there. I think the only way it would likely succeed here is if they were paired up with KFC like in many other KFCs outside of Newfoundland and they also must have a really good location which means everything here. Years ago they built two Arby's restaurants here in areas that were not good locations at the time and they both failed. Another reason too was that maybe people in St. John's were not familiar with Arby's menu and always asked for hamburgers when they went there which they don't sell. I enjoyed the Arby's roast beef sandwiches and witnessed other customers coming in asking for burgers many times. The Arby's on Torbay road is now an A&W and the other Arby's that was on Kenmount Road is now a Ches's.

J_Murphy Dec 11, 2012 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5933797)
I really don't think that St. John's is a Taco Bell kind of town really. I mean, they had a continuous supply of customers at the mall at the cinemas. They are always busy there and Taco Bell couldn't make a go of it there. I think the only way it would likely succeed here is if they were paired up with KFC like in many other KFCs outside of Newfoundland and they also must have a really good location which means everything here. Years ago they built two Arby's restaurants here in areas that were not good locations at the time and they both failed. Another reason too was that maybe people in St. John's were not familiar with Arby's menu and always asked for hamburgers when they went there which they don't sell. I enjoyed the Arby's roast beef sandwiches and witnessed other customers coming in asking for burgers many times. The Arby's on Torbay road is now an A&W and the other Arby's that was on Kenmount Road is now a Ches's.

That must have been more than a few years ago....I don't remember either of these Arby's and I grew up in the city (well, Mt. pearl :))

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 6:26 PM

Yeah it was some years ago now that Arby's were in St. John's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5933847)
That must have been more than a few years ago....I don't remember either of these Arby's and I grew up in the city (well, Mt. pearl :))

Arrakis Dec 11, 2012 6:51 PM

The two Arby's were operating in St. John's I would say around the late 80's or early 90's. They didn't last too long which is probably why you don't recall them. But both buildings remain to this day in pretty much the same manner in which they opened. The one on Kenmount Road had several different businesses operating out of it over the years. Car sales lot for a few years and now it's a Ches's Fish & Chips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5933847)

MrChills Dec 12, 2012 4:22 AM

Quote:

Seriously? Taco Bell is brutal

MrChills Dec 12, 2012 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newfoundlander (Post 5933582)
So will Mary Browns close its other Freshwater location or operate two stores a couple of blocks apart?

The existing Freshwater location would be a great place for a condo building with some height.

That would be a great location. I was just looking at the aerial view and it's a fairly large lot for that area of town and could support a decent sized building.

PoscStudent Dec 12, 2012 4:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5933781)
The only Taco Bell we had at the Empire Cinemas at Avalon Mall has been gone for some time now I think.

I have not been to a movie in a while.

I loved the idea of Taco Bell and was so excited when it cam here and I had it once and hated it. I remember seeing it on TV afterwards and thinking it looked so great but kept remember that it twas not. I think my issue was with their ground beef.

Ayreonaut Dec 12, 2012 6:04 AM

KFC > Mary Brown's, so I'm slightly disappointed. Only slightly because I really don't go to either when I'm in town.

SpongeG Dec 12, 2012 7:18 AM

taco bell is awful - chronic taco, now that's good