SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

jeddy1989 Dec 4, 2012 2:14 AM

ok so they were talking about a store called JYSK in the Moncton thread.. Halifax has one and it is kind of like an IKEA from what I gather.. and on their website they talk a lot about an aggressive expansion plan..

Quote:

About JYSK

JYSK specializes in all articles for the bedroom, bathroom, living room and patio.

JYSK has stores in 34 countries with 2,000 stores worldwide and currently 52 stores across Canada. We are looking to open approximately 10 new stores in Canada per year.
Quote:

JYSK Vision

JYSK is looking to expand near you. Our goal is to have at least one JYSK store within 30 minutes of 90% of Canadians.

JYSK’s prototypical store is 18,000 to 25,000 Sq Ft.

JYSK scouts out areas with a minimum population of 25,000 people and a minimum growth rate of 3% as per Stats Canada.

JYSK stores open in shopping centers which hold at least 3 major retail anchors with a minimum of 15,000 Sq. Ft. each.
http://www.jysk.ca/expansion

so I emailed them to ask if they are going to open up in St. John's

and this is what they said: (Quick response and late at night :S)

Quote:

Hello [Jeddy],

Thank you for taking the time to submit an inquiry. St. John’s NL has a very good market. We are working towards opening a store in St. John’s, though it will not be for 2013.
In the meantime, all of our stock is available online.

Regards,
this gives me big hope that we will see a large expansion in selection in coming years (especially with Stavager growing like crazy and the unimaginable Glencrest.. with mount pearl right next to it so it will have to be new stores)

makes me happy :) and excited :)

Townie709 Dec 4, 2012 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5924078)
ok so they were talking about a store called JYSK in the Moncton thread.. Halifax has one and it is kind of like an IKEA from what I gather.. and on their website they talk a lot about an aggressive expansion plan

this gives me big hope that we will see a large expansion in selection in coming years.
makes me happy :) and excited :)

Yeah, sounds like a great store and a good candidate for stevanger, glencrest, or both! I've never heard of the store, but it seems to be successful in other places so no reason it wouldn't thrive here!

Ayreonaut Dec 4, 2012 4:10 AM

I've only been to a Jysk once. It's really not my thing, but of course, not everything can be.

SpongeG Dec 4, 2012 7:08 AM

jysk is such a junky store, you're really not missing much

rwspencer38 Dec 4, 2012 1:05 PM

That could be a nice little spot if its done correctly! Its too bad that location is so far from mile one because it could be a great before/after location for events at the stadium. In other cities that have bigger sports events, there are typically one or two locations near the stadiums that offer a fantastic atmosphere with great prices on food/drink (thats a little more family friendly then say George Street). I always thought about opening something like that and perhaps I will one day.

** In response to the Brass Rack lot **

jeddy1989 Dec 5, 2012 11:13 PM

Bentley Chain Taken Over

Quote:

A Canadian retailer that started with a single store in St. John's has been taken over. Novacap of Montreal is buying Bentley leather goods which has over 400 retail outlets across the country. Bentley started with a single store in the Avalon Mall back in 1987, and has become one of the country's top retailers of handbags, wallets and luggage. The founder of Bentley is retiring after 25 years, and is being replaced by the man who founded Winners, David Margolis.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...28910&latest=1

didnt know it was a NL company ... was ..

Townie709 Dec 5, 2012 11:32 PM

I never knew it was based and founded here! It's a shame to see it bought up (especially by quebec :P )

Ayreonaut Dec 6, 2012 2:07 AM

Wow, I didn't know it was based here either. In fact, when my roommate mentioned yesterday that she needed a suitcase, I suggested that she try the store at the mall saying "in Calgary's malls there are stores called Bentley, but I think the one here is different." :haha:

Horsell Dec 7, 2012 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5901369)
Darn... I was kinda looking forward to seeing a Kelsey's coming to town. Oh well, maybe someday. :cheers:

Someday may be soon. The building going up on Aberdeen Ave (?) on the Walmart lot looks a lot like a Kelsey's, according to pictures on their website.

statbass Dec 7, 2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 5928493)
Someday may be soon. The building going up on Aberdeen Ave (?) on the Walmart lot looks a lot like a Kelsey's, according to pictures on their website.

I think it's been confirmed that a TD bank will be going in that location (CIBC is going in old Penney Pre-owned spot).

Arrakis Dec 7, 2012 5:40 PM

I emailed Kelsey's recently when they had Newfoundland listed on their website under their locations menu. But they told me that was a mistake and it was removed soon after. Though, I did see an ad in the Telegram this past year for Kelsey's and Milestone's looking for possible franchise interest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 5928493)

Trevor3 Dec 7, 2012 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5929222)
I emailed Kelsey's recently when they had Newfoundland listed on their website under their locations menu. But they told me that was a mistake and it was removed soon after. Though, I did see an ad in the Telegram this past year for Kelsey's and Milestone's looking for possible franchise interest.

Sometimes it takes quite a few tries before these chains get set-up in a new market. Boston Pizza has been trying to get into Corner Brook since at least 2007 but is nowhere nearer to opening.

If I were to guess, I'd say Kelsey's has St. John's on the radar but needs two things: 1) a prime location; and 2) somebody willing to take on the initiative of starting it up. Finding one or the other can be easy, but finding them both ready to go at the same time can be the challenge.

jeddy1989 Dec 7, 2012 8:54 PM

I just got ANOTHER email from JYSK

They have been more than willing to help lol I sent an email and got 2 back .. this one gives a bit more insight

Quote:

Hello [Jeddy],

Thank you for your inquiry. We are very much interested in the Newfoundland market and are hoping to open a store out in Saint John’s as early as 2014.

Happy Holidays,

Tish Sumsion

Assistant Expansion Coordinatior
Leasing@JYSK.ca
1615 Kebet Way
Port Coquitlam
V3C 5W9

CdnEh Dec 7, 2012 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5929511)
I just got ANOTHER email from JYSK

They have been more than willing to help lol I sent an email and got 2 back .. this one gives a bit more insight

Poor Tish Sumision must be getting really pissed off with all these inquiry's... "Moncton? Saint John? St John's?" :haha:

Perhaps we should send a fruit basket to the JYSK head office or something on behalf of the Atlantic Canada section of SSP :banana:

Arrakis Dec 7, 2012 9:54 PM

You said it Trevor. It takes a lot of business knowledge to take on a franchise like this and a lot of factors to consider. Also takes a ton of money too. But I would say we are definitely on their radar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor3 (Post 5929487)
Sometimes it takes quite a few tries before these chains get set-up in a new market. Boston Pizza has been trying to get into Corner Brook since at least 2007 but is nowhere nearer to opening.

If I were to guess, I'd say Kelsey's has St. John's on the radar but needs two things: 1) a prime location; and 2) somebody willing to take on the initiative of starting it up. Finding one or the other can be easy, but finding them both ready to go at the same time can be the challenge.

statbass Dec 8, 2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5929590)
You said it Trevor. It takes a lot of business knowledge to take on a franchise like this and a lot of factors to consider. Also takes a ton of money too. But I would say we are definitely on their radar.

Kelsey's is a part of the Cara group of companies which own restaurants such as Swiss Chalet, Montana's, and Harvey's. We currently have two Swiss Chalet's (the old Kenmount location moving to Kelsey), two Montana's, and a Harvey's being built. So I agree, we're definitely on their radar. :tup:

Townie709 Dec 8, 2012 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5930197)
Kelsey's is a part of the Cara group of companies which own restaurants such as Swiss Chalet, Montana's, and Harvey's. We currently have two Swiss Chalet's (the old Kenmount location moving to Kelsey), two Montana's, and a Harvey's being built. So I agree, we're definitely on their radar. :tup:

Actually, we will soon have three Swiss Chalets. The on their building on Kelsey Drive, the Stevanger Drive one, and they are building another one somewhere in Mount Pearl.

statbass Dec 8, 2012 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5930248)
Actually, we will soon have three Swiss Chalets. The on their building on Kelsey Drive, the Stevanger Drive one, and they are building another one somewhere in Mount Pearl.

Hmmm.... I did not know that, thanks!

Townie709 Dec 8, 2012 4:26 PM

What would've have been great was instead of a Swiss chalet, build a Kelsey's on Kelsey Drive. That would have been the perfect location in more ways than one :haha:

Marty_Mcfly Dec 8, 2012 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5930308)
What would've have been great was instead of a Swiss chalet, build a Kelsey's on Kelsey Drive. That would have been the perfect location in more ways than one :haha:

I was also thinking this :haha: