SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

SunDevil Jul 9, 2011 5:28 AM

so, turns out First Friday was last week. :haha:

Vicelord John Jul 9, 2011 5:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 5342264)
so, turns out First Friday was last week. :haha:

Amazing how calendars work, eh?

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 11, 2011 10:18 PM

Any baseball fans go to Fanfest at the Convention Center? The Baseball Hall of Fame and Negro Leagues displays almost make it worth the price of admission. Definitely not as much of a ripoff as the NFL Experience.

There's also a pretty cool exhibit on the history of the Diamondbacks, including some items from the 2001 World Series (jerseys, bats and other items used by Schilling, Johnson and Gonzo) as well as the 2001 World Series trophy.

Tito714 Jul 12, 2011 1:27 AM

i went today, it was great and will be going again tomorrow! Great exhibits and good times, and the weather was not bad considering it's mid july.

PHX31 Jul 13, 2011 12:57 AM

That was the money shot! Anyone else see the helicopter aerial of downtown during the middle of the 1st of the all-star game? It looked dense/awesome!

I saw helicopters all afternoon hovering around, I assumed at least one of them was getting scenes of downtown.

plinko Jul 13, 2011 1:36 AM

Agreed. So far the aerials are making Phoenix look really good. At least it's not a smoggy day, they had a shot of Camelback that looked stellar.

HooverDam Jul 13, 2011 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 5345625)
Agreed. So far the aerials are making Phoenix look really good. At least it's not a smoggy day, they had a shot of Camelback that looked stellar.

Its driving me crazy that the roof is closed though. They said its 99 there, even if it is humid there's lots of games every year in Atlanta, Washington, etc that are warmer than that or as warm.

Maybe they'll open the roof during the 7th inning stretch, I imagine the sun will be down by then. That would be good.

Vicelord John Jul 13, 2011 2:44 AM

Copied from my Facebook:

It's bullshit that PHOENIX has the MLB all star game yet the TV keeps showing shots of Old Town Scottsdale saying it's a beautiful part of Phoenix. News flash, media: no one in Phoenix wants to be associated with Scottsdale.

nickw252 Jul 13, 2011 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5345683)
Copied from my Facebook:

It's bullshit that PHOENIX has the MLB all star game yet the TV keeps showing shots of Old Town Scottsdale saying it's a beautiful part of Phoenix. News flash, media: no one in Phoenix wants to be associated with Scottsdale.

I second that.

I also got annoyed reading the AZ Republic about all the celebrity appearances in Scottsdale.

Leo the Dog Jul 13, 2011 4:33 AM

Like it or not, Scottsdale is the major destination of Phoenix for outsiders. I have no problem with the best parts of PHX being showcased to the world, even if it happens to fall in the city limits of Scottsdale.

HX_Guy Jul 13, 2011 4:43 AM

Yea I don't mind it either...works in our favor this time really. Usually they show some place in Phoenix and say it's in Scottsdale so it's nice to see Phoenix get the credit for once.

exit2lef Jul 13, 2011 4:48 AM

Quote:

Copied from my Facebook:

I'm not thrilled that a lot of the party action is over in Scottsdale instead of near the game, but it's refreshing to have parts of Scottsdale misattributed to Phoenix for once. 99% of the time, it's the opposite with everything east of 40th St. thought incorrectly to be in Scottsdale.

nickw252 Jul 14, 2011 1:26 PM

This is an interesting article and video on "the high cost of free parking"

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/07/...ive-us-cities/

PhxDowntowner Jul 14, 2011 7:19 PM

Quote:

Copied from my Facebook:

Add "branding/marketing" to Phoenix's myriad list of woes.

Leo the Dog Jul 23, 2011 4:35 PM

Did anyone take any pictures from MLB All-Star week?

pbenjamin Jul 23, 2011 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5356345)
Did anyone take any pictures from MLB All-Star week?

Here are a bunch of pictures

Fanfest
Softball Game
Home Run Derby
All Star Game

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 24, 2011 2:46 AM

I took some from Fanfest as well, but they came from my camera phone, so the quality kinda sucks:

2011 All Star Fanfest in Phoenix

Leo the Dog Jul 24, 2011 2:49 AM

^^Thanks for sharing guys!

nickw252 Jul 31, 2011 10:56 PM

Anyone want to recommend a good Chinese restaurant in central/downtown Phoenix. As much as I love Pei Wei I'd like to try some local places.

PHX31 Jul 31, 2011 11:04 PM

I don't know how authentic or good or if there are better ones, but China Chili on 3rd Street north of Thomas south of Osborn is pretty good.