SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 1000M (1000 S Michigan) | 805 FT | 73 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218947)

r18tdi Nov 11, 2021 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams (Post 9448153)
Stalled South Loop Skyscraper Restarts

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...aper-restarts/

We definitely need some photos to confirm this, but an exciting prospect.

I suppose if "editor" lived in Chicago he could just swing by and see for himself. :shrug:

rivernorthlurker Nov 11, 2021 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams (Post 9448153)
Stalled South Loop Skyscraper Restarts

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...aper-restarts/

We definitely need some photos to confirm this, but an exciting prospect.

I feel that would be a weird thing to make up...

harryc Nov 13, 2021 12:05 AM

Watch this space

Jason12182 Nov 13, 2021 3:19 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m a resident at 910 S Michigan (not one of the ones with their silly complaints about 1000M) and we received a notification from our property manager advising us that construction was set to officially resume on Monday, Nov 15.

BVictor1 Nov 13, 2021 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason12182 (Post 9450029)
Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m a resident at 910 S Michigan (not one of the ones with their silly complaints about 1000M) and we received a notification from our property manager advising us that construction was set to officially resume on Monday, Nov 15.

Seeing is believing, but that's good to know. Until I see financing is secured, I'm skeptical.

Welcome to the forum btw...

CaptainJilliams Nov 13, 2021 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason12182 (Post 9450029)

That's fantastic news, thank you for sharing that info!

Steely Dan Nov 13, 2021 10:12 PM

@ Jason12183: welcome and thanks for sharing your info!

It'll be interesting to see what, if any, activity resumes on site on Monday.

As you live right next door, please do keep us posted.

donnie Nov 15, 2021 2:46 PM

It's monday anyone see any activity?

crossing fingers on this one

Ned.B Nov 15, 2021 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 9451184)
It's monday anyone see any activity?

crossing fingers on this one

Nothing especially active when I was by 30 minutes ago. Bricking of the windows to the south is definitely in progress, though no one was actively working on that. And most promising: there were several vehicles parked inside the fence by the construction trailers on Wabash. So today may have been a mobilization day. If that's the case, and these weren't facade contractors for the building to the south (which they seem to be accessing that work completely from the roof), we may see actual construction activity resume in the very near future.

Steely Dan Nov 15, 2021 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned.B (Post 9451475)
Nothing especially active when I was by 30 minutes ago. Bricking of the windows to the south is definitely in progress, though no one was actively working on that. And most promising: there were several vehicles parked inside the fence by the construction trailers on Wabash. So today may have been a mobilization day. If that's the case, and these weren't facade contractors for the building to the south (which they seem to be accessing that work completely from the roof), we may see actual construction activity resume in the very near future.

thanks for scoping out the site for us! :tup:

an on-site restart kick-off meeting sounds like a very plausible reason for those vehicles to be parked outside the trailer.

here's to hoping :cheers:

Romero Nov 15, 2021 9:07 PM

Height?

Here is hoping this is the restart of a great addition to the South Loop.

CTBUH lists the height of 1000M at 788 feet. All other references list it as 805 feet. Either one would be great. Does anyone know what the correct height is?

Steely Dan Nov 15, 2021 9:24 PM

^ that must be a recent height change in the CTBUH database.

the last time i checked over there, this one was still listed at 805', as it is/was everywhere after the change to rentals and the slight floor count drop were announced.

now that this one looks like it might be moving back to U/C, maybe someone over at the CTBUH got a look at updated CD's that have a slightly lower actual height figure?

either way, if it's built to 805' or 788', it will still become chicago's 20th tallest tower, nestled in between 110 N Wacker (817') and 300 N Lasalle (785').

and most importantly, a MAJOR gap filler for the south loop!

orulz Nov 15, 2021 11:04 PM

Chances of this getting back underway, exactly 2 years to the day from this picture I posted from the Hilton across the street?

Which was incidentally the last time I went to Chicago (COVID intervened)

November 27, 2019. So, that would be 12 days.

pianowizard Nov 16, 2021 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9451703)
either way, if it's built to 805' or 788', it will still become chicago's 20th tallest tower, nestled in between 110 N Wacker (817') and 300 N Lasalle (785').

Indeed, I hope the developer will do whatever it takes to get this built, as it's so impactful for this part of the skyline. Even a further height reduction to ~750' is acceptable, if that makes the project financially viable.

The Lurker Nov 16, 2021 9:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9451703)

Then we just need somebody to revive Park Michigan

intrepidDesign Nov 16, 2021 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 9452130)
Then we just need somebody to revive Park Michigan

I WISH! I loved that tower design, and it was pencil thin long before pencil towers were a thing. I can't believe anyone remembers that one, kinda had One Chicago vibes a decade+ ahead of time.

Steely Dan Nov 16, 2021 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intrepidDesign (Post 9452302)
I can't believe anyone remembers that one, kinda had One Chicago vibes a decade+ ahead of time.

How could we forget it?

It was a very nice design, very elegant proportions, but probably a wee bit ahead of it's time for that stretch of the south loop.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/63/57...d06353007c.jpg

munchymunch Nov 16, 2021 5:40 PM

The lot at 830 s Michigan, definitely could see something similar in size in the future.

r18tdi Nov 16, 2021 6:22 PM

Speaking of S. Michigan Ave. apartment tower, today I noticed that Essex on the Park has been renamed "Sentral Michigan Avenue" lol.

left of center Nov 17, 2021 6:53 PM

The saddest part about Park Michigan not becoming reality was the loss of the old historic YMCA building, which would have had the facade preserved as part of this project.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-InAskd-t8g...0/830_2005.jpg
Source: arcchicago.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-ages-of-830-south-michigan.html