SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Highest traffic counts in your city? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239801)

Dariusb Jul 23, 2019 4:56 AM

Highest traffic counts in your city?

What are the highest traffic counts on freeways/expressways in your city? 88,000 on I-30 in my city(Texarkana).

Steely Dan Jul 23, 2019 4:59 AM

The Kennedy often has a traffic count of zero, as it frequently becomes one of the world's longest linear parking lots during rush hour.

SIGSEGV Jul 23, 2019 5:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8639146)
The Kennedy often has a traffic count of zero, as it frequently becomes one of the world's longest linear parking lots during rush hour.

That's not fair, there are still O(10) blue line trains in each direction per hour!

Innsertnamehere Jul 23, 2019 11:27 AM

401 between the 400 and Weston road is considered the busiest highway on the continent, recording well over 500,000 vehicles on a weekday.

hauntedheadnc Jul 23, 2019 2:52 PM

The Jeff Bowen Bridge, connecting downtown Asheville to the suburban strip of West Patton Avenue in West Asheville, carried 106,000 vehicles per day as of 2018. There were also an average of 124 vehicle wrecks per year, any one of which has the power to paralyze traffic flow throughout the city -- and beyond if it's an especially bad wreck.

Dariusb Jul 23, 2019 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere (Post 8639242)
401 between the 400 and Weston road is considered the busiest highway on the continent, recording well over 500,000 vehicles on a weekday.

That's not only the highest in North America but among the highest in the world, right?

lrt's friend Jul 23, 2019 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere (Post 8639242)

My cousins had their GPS direct them through 401/400 last Friday at rush hour and it delayed them 3 1/2 hours in getting to their destination. My cousin put his fist through his car console in total frustration for the very bad directions. The stupid GPS directed them through Toronto when their start and end destinations were no where near Toronto. When they didn't arrive for hours, I said (jokingly) that they had been sent to Northern Ontario. No, but almost as bad in the opposite direction. You can count on really bad congestion on the 401/400 on a Friday afternoon at rush hour going into a summer weekend.

Boisebro Jul 23, 2019 3:34 PM

I-84 and I-184 in Boise is easily the busiest here.

per this article, it's seen an increase from 215,800 vehicle trips/day in 2003 to 326,300 trips/day in 2018 (weekday traffic, both directions).

for me, if there are any more than 4 cars on the road during my commute, I start shaking my fist and yelling "git off my damned road you dang whippersnappers!!"

chris08876 Jul 23, 2019 3:41 PM

In NYC its easily the Cross-Bronx Expressway. From the GWB via NJ all the way to the Whitestone Bridge, its just asinine. Mind numbing that is so bad that you'll forget what your name is or your identity.

And due to the layout, one accident, just one accident... will result in 2+ hour delays to cross less than 5 miles.

Typically its always jammed Westbound but at times, just gridlock.

I took that route the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, not too long ago, and I had to piss into a Monster Energy Drink can. I couldn't hold it, thats how bad it is. Used a pen to carve a hole into the can than chucked it outside, but got it on my fingers and jeans. What a crap day that was.

So what have we learned today. If you ever, during rush hour or prior to a holiday take the expressway, avoid caffeine or anything that gives you the runs.

Honorable mentions to the BQE, which is a crap highway but packed, and the Belt Parkway which is always jammed.

Steely Dan Jul 23, 2019 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boisebro (Post 8639411)

for me, if there are any more than 4 cars on the road during my commute, I start shaking my fist and yelling "git off my damned road you dang whippersnappers!!"

that reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker of all time:

Stop Complaining About Traffic

You ARE Traffic!

Crawford Jul 23, 2019 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8639427)
In NYC its easily the Cross-Bronx Expressway. From the GWB via NJ all the way to the Whitestone Bridge, its just asinine. Mind numbing that is so bad that you'll forget what your name is or your identity.

The Cross Bronx may be the most congested roadway, but no way does it carry the most traffic. It's only a narrow three lanes, with no shoulders.

I'd imagine the NJ Turnpike has the greatest traffic in the region, by a longshot. It's easily the widest highway.

chris08876 Jul 23, 2019 4:04 PM

Definitely NJ Turnpike if we are talking the region. I do believe though that the GWB does see the highest traffic count (if we are talking just core city) along with the Bronx Expressway, even more than the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel, unless I'm mistaken. Its the one major truck route up there with the Verrazano. Part of the reason why its so congested, all of those trucks and feeder lanes into the expressway. There are yield signs, but unfortunately New Yorkers don't understand how to navigate zipper merges or do not believe in being nice when people put their blinkers on (they will speed up even though you have room to merge), so thats part of the problem as well.

NY drivers are some of the most aggressive and mean drivers I've seen. Just complete a-holes. DC drivers are much nicer. Maryland drivers from what I've seen always do 10 below, very slow. NJ drivers, very fast, and will tailgate you. Mad respect for those that haul in the left, and tailgate minivans that tend to hog the left lane. Big difference. NJ drivers haul, NY drivers just are dicks. But at the same time, you have to be an a-hole to survive on those roads. The weak will get killed on those roads, because people WILL NOT give you a chance to merge. They just will not, and if spot someone who does, its a unicorn.

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 23, 2019 4:24 PM

I'd reckon it's either the 1-10 Broadway Curve in Phoenix or the unholy junctions of I-10 & I-17 ("The Stack") and the junctions of I-10, AZ 51 and AZ 202 ("The Mini Stack") with the stretch of I-10 between the two that includes the Deck Park Tunnel.

Fun fact: The portion of I-10 including the tunnel was the last segment of the interstate completed that finally connected I-10 from Los Angeles to Jacksonville, FL when it opened in 1990.

Theres also the stretch of AZ 101 in Tempe/Mesa between AZ 202 and US 60.

JAYNYC Jul 23, 2019 4:24 PM

No one (in any U.S. city) has experienced traffic unless they've experienced the following intersections:

405 @ 101 (LA)
10 @ 110 (LA)
101 @ 110 (LA)
10 @ 405 (LA)

Distant runner up:

35 between William Cannon & Rundberg (Austin) https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/aus...y-in-the-world

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 23, 2019 4:30 PM

A bit south of LA in Orange County are the Orange Crush (the 5, 57 and 22) and the El Toro Y (the 5 and 405). Both are parking lots most hours of the day.

Cirrus Jul 23, 2019 4:57 PM

For DC, two locations are effectively tied at 250,000: The American Legion Bridge and the 14th Street Bridge.

Cirrus Jul 23, 2019 4:59 PM

Anyway, anybody can easily look this up, at least within the US. Google "[state] traffic volumes" and either a map or a spreadsheet will come right up.

Centropolis Jul 23, 2019 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYNYC (Post 8639476)
No one (in any U.S. city) has experienced traffic unless they've experienced the following intersections:

405 @ 101 (LA)
10 @ 110 (LA)
101 @ 110 (LA)
10 @ 405 (LA)

Distant runner up:

35 between William Cannon & Rundberg (Austin) https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/aus...y-in-the-world

i went through three of those four intersections a bunch of times this weekend (all of them if you count going straight) ...but i still contend the most nightmare traffic i've experienced is atlanta. unlike the LA basin (canyons, etc exempted), which has a massive array of surface blvds (which are slower, but you regain your sanity) you're Just Plain Fucked. i've tried all kinds of alternate routes around/through atlanta and it's just a nightmare. nashville is like this on a tiny scale.

iheartthed Jul 23, 2019 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 8639522)
but i still contend the most nightmare traffic i've experienced is atlanta. unlike the LA basin (canyons, etc exempted), which has a massive array of surface blvds you're Just Plain Fucked.

Agreed! Atlanta is the absolute worst. The surface street grid in LA is way more functional than Atlanta's.

JAYNYC Jul 23, 2019 5:11 PM

610 @ 59 / West Loop South in Uptown Houston is also extremely horrific.

uaarkson Jul 23, 2019 5:16 PM

I've been to L.A. and it's bad, but it's not New York bad. When they were rebuilding the Kosciusko bridge, there was no worse car hell than the LIE/BQE interchange area.

iheartthed Jul 23, 2019 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 8639538)
I've been to L.A. and it's bad, but it's not New York bad. When they were rebuilding the Kosciusko bridge, there was no worse car hell than the LIE/BQE interchange area.

Ha, that's not even the worst in New York. But NYC is different because you often have the option of parking your car and hopping on a train.

Centropolis Jul 23, 2019 5:21 PM

Quote:

i mean i've been stuck in 100% stopped traffic in the holland tunnel at 2 AM after deplaning at EWR so that was basically like the opening scene to a disaster movie.

PHX31 Jul 23, 2019 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 8639475)
I'd reckon it's either the 1-10 Beoadway Curve in Phoenix or the unholy junctions of I-10 & I-17 ("The Stack") and the junctions of I-10, AZ 51 and AZ 202 ("The Mini Stack") with the stretch of I-10 between the two that includes the Deck Park Tunnel.

A quick check of the counts in the City show it's the I-10 between "The Split" (I-10/I-17 southeast of downtown near the airport) and the Broadway Curve at 279,000 vehicles per day.

This was 2017 data. I'm sure 2018 or 2019 data is out there since they're continuous count stations, but I didn't really look.

Steely Dan Jul 23, 2019 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8639519)
Anyway, anybody can easily look this up, at least within the US. Google "[state] traffic volumes" and either a map or a spreadsheet will come right up.

thanks for the tip, it worked for illinois.

the highest i could find in chicago was a stretch of the dan ryan on the south side: 318,800 vehicles per day

chris08876 Jul 23, 2019 5:38 PM

Quote:

The horror, the horror. :runaway:

Yeah some fun times on the interchange. The BQE in general is horrible. Imagine the traffic that will result when they rebuild sections of it, in phases! More fun! Its going to be perpetual traffic for 20+ years.

LIC is another interesting case study or anywhere underneath an elevated train track. Damn columns make it hell. The whole city in general a nightmare driving wise. Just a cluster f at all times, and the funny thing, is that its only getting worse! :cheers:

And when you see those signs that say "gridlock alert day, use mass transit", they bloody mean it!

At my old job, I'd leave from Con-Edison in Astoria (was a client of mine) at 2:30 pm and get back to Elizabeth NJ at 4:45/5pm some days. Just a shit show. And yes, I've at times have used the HOV lane to save myself an hour. Risky? Yeah, but f it, if they didn't see me, never happened.

uaarkson Jul 23, 2019 5:57 PM

My company was a hop and a skip from the LIE, dead in the middle of Queens. God forbid I would have to go into the city during the day - that 7 miles to the tunnel could take 1-2 hours alone. Then on the way back out, you're sitting on cross-streets and dripping through intersections for another 1.5 hours. Absolutely awful. I lived around the corner from the shop - my coworkers lived as far out as Islip.

NYC needs bike commuting infrastructure that crosses the boroughs and the east river.

Crawford Jul 23, 2019 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 8639598)
My company was a hop and a skip from the LIE, dead in the middle of Queens. God forbid I would have to go into the city during the day - that 7 miles to the tunnel could take 1-2 hours alone. Then on the way back out, you're sitting on cross-streets and dripping through intersections for another 1.5 hours. Absolutely awful. I lived around the corner from the shop - my coworkers lived as far out as Islip.

NYC needs bike commuting infrastructure that crosses the boroughs and the east river.

The Queensboro Bridge bikeway is being expanded, and the new Kosciuszko Bridge has a large bikeway.

But you're never gonna fix traffic on the LIE, even if you built 10 new subway lines. There will always be delivery and for-hire vehicles. I feel sorry for those who have no choice but sit in traffic.

uaarkson Jul 23, 2019 6:32 PM

Honestly, the midtown tunnel should be for commercial traffic only.

This is where Chicago beats other cities, hard. They spent the time and money over a century ago to raise the entire core of the city 10+ ft. and the result today is a completely separate, sub-grade delivery system for every block, every major building. There's practically no delivery traffic on surface-streets in downtown Chicago. It's one of the most underrated engineering achievements in recent human history.

uaarkson Jul 23, 2019 6:36 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ake_Street.jpg

Side note: sigh. If only Chicago was still this finely-grained.

Cirrus Jul 23, 2019 6:47 PM

Folks need to remember that volume and congestion are not the same. You can have one high but the other low, depending on capacity and other factors.

Since everyone is talking about NY & LA, here's data for New York and California.

The highest I see scrolling around the NY map is the GW Bridge at 282,000. The BQE (since it was mentioned) is in the 100,000-150,000 range, which is pretty unremarkable in terms of volume for a metropolitan Interstate.

In LA, you have to look them up by route number so I can't say I've looked everywhere. But I looked at the 10, 101, 110, and 405. The highest I saw was the 10 @ Hoover Street where it hits 355,000.

Crawford Jul 23, 2019 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 8639640)
This is where Chicago beats other cities, hard. They spent the time and money over a century ago to raise the entire core of the city 10+ ft. and the result today is a completely separate, sub-grade delivery system for every block, every major building. There's practically no delivery traffic on surface-streets in downtown Chicago. It's one of the most underrated engineering achievements in recent human history.

Are you referring to the narrow-gauge tunnels under Chicago? I don't think they're used for delivery anymore. They were mini freight-rail tunnels, I think.

Or are you referring to the multilevel streets? Those are along the river, and aren't specifically a "delivery system". Normal vehicles can use those streets. And I don't think they serve a significant % of downtown.

uaarkson Jul 23, 2019 6:50 PM

I wonder what these numbers looked like before the automobile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8639666)
Are you referring to the narrow-gauge tunnels under Chicago? I don't think they're used for delivery anymore. They were mini freight-rail tunnels, I think.

Or are you referring to the multilevel streets? Those are along the river, and aren't specifically a "delivery system". Normal vehicles can use them. And I don't think they serve a significant % of downtown.

I was exaggerating a little but yeah, I'm talking about the multi-level streets. There are quite a few skyscrapers along those streets with sub-grade freight entrances.

iheartthed Jul 23, 2019 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8639663)
Folks need to remember that volume and congestion are not the same. You can have one high but the other low, depending on capacity and other factors.

Since everyone is talking about NY & LA, here's data for New York and California.

The highest I see scrolling around the NY map is the GW Bridge at 282,000. The BQE (since it was mentioned) is in the 100,000-150,000 range, which is pretty unremarkable in terms of volume for a metropolitan Interstate.

In LA, you have to look them up by route number so I can't say I've looked everywhere. But I looked at the 10, 101, 110, and 405. The highest I saw was the 10 @ Hoover Street where it hits 355,000.

Yeah, NYC roads won't rank very high because the city and state rightly recognized, long ago, that adding lanes wouldn't fix congestion. The BQE is, on average, something like 2-3 times its designed capacity. But it was only built to carry like 40-50K cars per day.

Crawford Jul 23, 2019 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8639690)
Yeah, NYC roads won't rank very high because the city and state rightly recognized, long ago, that adding lanes wouldn't fix congestion. The BQE is, on average, something like 2-3 times its designed capacity. But it was only built to carry like 40-50K cars per day.

The only really "huge freeway" in the region is the NJ Turnpike. That's the only one that looks like something in Southern CA. Most of the region's highways are 2 or 3 lanes, and limited or no shoulders.

Some, like the Merritt or Henry Hudson, are not even really "freeways". I don't know how to classify stuff like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8860...7i16384!8i8192

uaarkson Jul 23, 2019 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8639717)
The only really "huge freeway" in the region is the NJ Turnpike. That's the only one that looks like something in Southern CA. Most of the region's highways are 2 or 3 lanes, and limited or no shoulders.

Some, like the Merritt or Henry Hudson, are not even really "freeways". I don't know how to classify stuff like this:

That, my friend, is a parkway.

iheartthed Jul 23, 2019 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8639717)

Yeah, the drives and parkways category in NYC is far more distinct than other places. The Henry Hudson and Jackie Robinson are definitely in that gray space between large road and freeway. But as soon as you get outside of NYC, to Long Island or upstate, parkway just means freeway like it does everywhere else.

SpawnOfVulcan Jul 23, 2019 8:10 PM

The highest in Birmingham (and all of Alabama) is at a point on I-59/20 on its downtown viaduct (indicated by the arrow). The viaduct is current being reconstructed and has been demolished. They're a bit less than 2/3 finished. Should be finished in early 2020.

Traffic count at this location is: 155,620 per day

https://i.imgur.com/kkO6x9h.png

Cirrus Jul 23, 2019 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8639741)
Yeah, the drives and parkways category in NYC is far more distinct than other places. The Henry Hudson and Jackie Robinson are definitely in that gray space between large road and freeway. But as soon as you get outside of NYC, to Long Island or upstate, parkway just means freeway like it does everywhere else.

Eh, in DC "parkway" means "more than an arterial but less than a freeway" too.

Steely Dan Jul 23, 2019 8:42 PM

in chicago, a "parkway" is the thin strip of grass between the street curb and the sidewalk found on nearly every single residential street in the city, and most burbs as well. i believe they are often called "tree lawns" or "curb lawns" in other locales.

https://i.postimg.cc/PxyDQG99/20170625-115212.jpg
source: me

Crawford Jul 23, 2019 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8639803)
Eh, in DC "parkway" means "more than an arterial but less than a freeway" too.

Yeah, DC too. DC has some good examples.

With roadways like the Merritt, people would laugh in most of the country:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1633...7i13312!8i6656

The dinky Merritt is considered a highway in NYC metro. But the monster 10 lane Telegraph Rd. isn't considered a highway in Detroit metro.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4979...7i16384!8i8192

Or Hall Rd., with an insane median, is worse. Don't think you can get more autocentric than Hall Rd.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6269...7i16384!8i8192

austlar1 Jul 23, 2019 9:27 PM

These figures are surely dated, but the highest traffic count for Austin (2016) was IH35 a couple of miles north of downtown just below US290. The daily volume there was 241,000. The second highest count was the US 183 Freeway just east of Mopac Freeway with a daily volume of 197,000. Third place goes to Mopac Freeway downtown just south of LadyBird/Town Lake overpass with daily volume of 182,000. All of these roadways are usually just three lanes in each direction. Mopac recently added two toll lanes north of Town Lake. The sometimes very pricey toll lanes are often more backed up than the regular lanes. Go figure. Austin freeways were designed for a city and region with maybe half the present population. It is a mess.

iheartthed Jul 23, 2019 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8639824)
Yeah, DC too. DC has some good examples.

With roadways like the Merritt, people would laugh in most of the country:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1633...7i13312!8i6656

The dinky Merritt is considered a highway in NYC metro. But the monster 10 lane Telegraph Rd. isn't considered a highway in Detroit metro.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4979...7i16384!8i8192

Or Hall Rd., with an insane median, is worse. Don't think you can get more autocentric than Hall Rd.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6269...7i16384!8i8192

This discussion made me think about Metro Parkway, which is the same road class as Telegraph Rd. and 8 Mile Rd. I don't think there is really a "parkway" concept in Michigan. OTOH, "drives" in NYC are often used to refer to large streets or quasi-freeways, whereas a "drive" in Michigan is usually something resembling a scenic, winding boulevard.

austlar1 Jul 23, 2019 9:52 PM

Houston has some amazingly high traffic counts on IH10 freeway west of downtown and also on IH 69 (formerly US 59) Freeway. Traffic counts well over 300,000 vehicles per day on portions of both roadways. The IH10/Katy Freeway now has a zillion lanes and must rival that super road up in Toronto for daily volume. Check out the 2016 TxDot maps. Map number 7 has the highest counts. You can click at the top to enlarge. http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...6/hou-base.pdf

Sam Hill Jul 24, 2019 1:09 AM

Highest I could find in Denver is 274,000 per day on I-25 through DTC (as of 2017 - a sharp increase from 252,000 in 2014).

I was expecting I-25 through downtown to be worse since there's a perpetual traffic jam there, but that stretch only comes in at 261,000. Who'da thunk!

Dariusb Jul 24, 2019 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 8639895)
Houston has some amazingly high traffic counts on IH10 freeway west of downtown and also on IH 69 (formerly US 59) Freeway. Traffic counts well over 300,000 vehicles per day on portions of both roadways. The IH10/Katy Freeway now has a zillion lanes and must rival that super road up in Toronto for daily volume. Check out the 2016 TxDot maps. Map number 7 has the highest counts. You can click at the top to enlarge. http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...6/hou-base.pdf

I had no idea the traffic counts in Houston were that high. Then again I haven't been there since 2010.

Dariusb Jul 24, 2019 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYNYC (Post 8639476)

405 @ 101 (LA)
10 @ 110 (LA)
101 @ 110 (LA)
10 @ 405 (LA)

Distant runner up:

Yeah, 405 is a beast!

Makid Jul 24, 2019 4:13 PM

For Salt Lake City, the highest I can find is along I-15 with 275,000 in 2017.

memph Jul 24, 2019 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 8639895)

Damn, 387k for the busiest point. Also just had a look and that's one wide highway, especially when you include the frontage roads which bring the total to about 25 lanes.

The only sections of highway in Toronto that are busier than that are the 427 between the QEW and 401 and the 401 between Dixon and Dufferin, with the absolute busiest section being the 401 between Weston Rd and the 400 at 417k according to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation's 2016 data.

Looks like in both cities the busiest areas are in employment heavy suburban areas relatively centrally located within the metro area.

memph Jul 24, 2019 4:21 PM

Just found this... yikes, nitrous oxides are really strongly correlated with highways, I thought they'd still be decently high along urban arterials and across the city as a whole.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPLKyqvXkAAUeXB.jpg