SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

MrSlippery519 Nov 28, 2012 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycaddict (Post 5916434)
i pray to god this thing get build to its impressive hight, but what are the chances of this thing actually getting approved? do you think it will be cut in hight like tower verre? also, when will we know if it got approved or not?

Totally different situation, this is an as of right location so those issues are not a factor. It's going to happen no question, chances are construction will begin soon as I believe the last tenant left a few week ago in the one build left to be demo'd

Harley613 Nov 28, 2012 2:43 PM

Whoah...where did this come from? I'm just imagining lying in sheep meadow in 2017 and admiring this incredible new skyline along the southern edge of Central Park. I've been so jealous of the skyscraper boom in China, so it's nice to see a boom start so close to home!

nycaddict Nov 28, 2012 8:33 PM

im sooo excited for this one!! i just hope the design will be as magnificent as its hight! Good luck!

Surrealplaces Nov 28, 2012 8:36 PM

This is exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing progress updates on this.

NYguy Nov 29, 2012 4:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 5916772)
It's as-of-right, so there's no formal approvals process, provided everything is done within the zoning rules.

Tower Verre is a totally different case. It was not "as of right", and was asking for special zoning exemptions.

That's correct. In fact, of all the recent supertall proposals, only two -Tower Verre and 15 Penn Plaza - had to go through public review. And that wasn't for height, but other zoning related special permits (the designs). The reason towers like One57 and 432 Park got underway so soon and without opposition is because they were designed within zoning guidelines for those sites, something Barnett talked about specifically doing at One57. He knows how to build within the guidelines and I'm sure this tower will be much of the same.

applejacks Nov 29, 2012 7:06 AM

Whoa. This all wouldve seemed like a pipe dream just 2-3 years ago.
I love New York.

NYguy Nov 29, 2012 7:24 PM

^ Combine Nordstrom looking for a suitable Manhattan footprint for years, and Gary Barnett's ability to get things built, and here you have it. This is in the heart of some of the most expensive developments in Manhattan (TW Center, 15 CPW, One57), so Extell should do very well.

nycaddict Dec 1, 2012 6:41 PM

is there any demolition they still need to do to build on this site?

RoldanTTLB Dec 1, 2012 7:01 PM

Yes, the building Morten Williams was in has yet to come down. MW only vacated a few weeks ago. There is plenty of excavating equipment on site already, though, and this will probably spool up quickly once permits are issued.

The thread on 220 CPS is not as lively here, but Vornado has demo'd nearly everything over there already, despite Extell still being in the garage, to my knowledge. This spot, especially on 58th st has become pretty inhospitable.

NewYorkDominates Dec 1, 2012 7:15 PM

It's crazy to think that even if you put the twin Time Warner buildings on top of each other,it still wouldn't reach the highest floor height of 225W 57th St.

Crawford Dec 1, 2012 7:59 PM

And to think that Barnett owns a third huge development site on 57th.

Who knows what's to come next. I'm certainly happy with One57 and 225 W57. Hopefully he saves the best (and tallest) for last.

jd3189 Dec 1, 2012 8:29 PM

Holy crap, I didn't know this tower was speculating to be over 1,500 ft? I guess NY will one day have the tallest building in the US again. The limit is being pushed once again. :notacrook:

nycaddict Dec 1, 2012 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB (Post 5921413)
Yes, the building Morten Williams was in has yet to come down. MW only vacated a few weeks ago. There is plenty of excavating equipment on site already, though, and this will probably spool up quickly once permits are issued.

The thread on 220 CPS is not as lively here, but Vornado has demo'd nearly everything over there already, despite Extell still being in the garage, to my knowledge. This spot, especially on 58th st has become pretty inhospitable.

thank!

aquablue Dec 1, 2012 8:53 PM

This tower will end up being close to the height of buildings like the Hong Kong ICC. Quite amazing. I doubt it will have the same dominating impact though, as I expect this tower to be quite slender at the upper levels. This will be the next real tallest tower in the USA however from my point of view as I'm thoroughly disgusted with the spire on 1WTC and I don't count it as a real part of the building. I also do not think that Chicago or any other city in the country will be building anything taller for many many years, and NY will retain the tallest building titles (spire/roof) for decades to come.

All they need now is a 1800-2000 footer in the middle of Midtown to balance everything out between the 57th cluster and the Hudson yards/Penn West/ESB area. There is potential around GCT for such a tower, but I'm not holding my breath in expectation for such lofty heights as of this moment :)

NYC GUY Dec 2, 2012 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 5921480)
And to think that Barnett owns a third huge development site on 57th.

Who knows what's to come next. I'm certainly happy with One57 and 225 W57. Hopefully he saves the best (and tallest) for last.

Where's the third one gonna be on 57th?

NewYorkDominates Dec 2, 2012 6:38 AM

Will this be the first building,of this height,to be developed in such a dense setting?I can't think of any other building.

hunser Dec 2, 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates (Post 5922101)
Will this be the first building,of this height,to be developed in such a dense setting?I can't think of any other building.

Me neither. As others and I have mentioned (in other threads), all those recent supertalls (the WTC being an exception) go up in a super dense area. They meet the street perfectly. This is the way New York builds, and it's the right way. In other cities such huge towers are being constructed around big plazas where there's no density or street life at all.

And btw I just can't get enough of the thread title. :haha: Seing NEW YORK... 1,550 FT makes me feel good.

Crawford Dec 2, 2012 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYC GUY (Post 5922015)
Where's the third one gonna be on 57th?

Barnett owns much of the south side of the block on 57th between 5th and 6th Avenues.

There's also a big assemblage by Sheldon Solow on 57th, as well as another assemblage around 57th & 6th (I don't know who owns this, but I think it used to be Durst).

I think that 225 W57 is really the beginning of an era of supertall development on 57th. One57 started things, but 225 is really getting the skyline going.

Crawford Dec 2, 2012 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates (Post 5922101)

I can't think of any building on earth of a similar height in such a dense setting.

Even at 1,000 ft., I can't think of anything. Even in super-dense Hong Kong, the tallest buildings aren't built in a super-urban context. They're built in a standalone environment.

babybackribs2314 Dec 2, 2012 6:11 PM

I really just can't believe that this will be even taller than the two Time Warner towers stacked on top of each other. The TWC itself is enormous and has a massive presence at only 750' in height.

I wonder if they've come to any arrangement with Vornado yet over 220 CPS, because I can't imagine anything progressing at either site until that's been resolved. I would imagine that 220 CPS could potentially be much larger than formerly planned if there's been a sale/re-shuffling of the lots facing 58th Street that were owned by Extell and were adjacent to Vornado's tower. All of those plots--Vornado and Extell--are now nearly completely demolished. If they did work something out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vornado's tower rise past the TWC's height, especially as sites with fewer air rights like 105 W 57th are rising so tall yet so slender.

One57's dominance on the skyline should be over within a year or a year and a half as 432 Park is going to just shoot upwards. I think we see groundbreaking on 225 W57th by the end of 2013 as well, if they're shooting for a 2017 opening.