SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | General Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105764)

Via Chicago Sep 16, 2014 5:56 PM

either way, i just really want to see that building fixed up and it dosent seem like theres any promising leads on it :(

wierdaaron Sep 16, 2014 6:22 PM

Uh, I went to the Gerald Ford museum with my grandparents once...

I don't think an Obama library would be a huge development catalyst, but as far as I know there hasn't been one in a major metropolis. The ones I can think of are all out in remote areas and are a destination to themselves, which is why I found the idea of something closer to downtown more interesting than UC. If it were at Museum Campus or UIC it would blend in with our museum circuit, so visitors could stay downtown and take their time at all of them. I don't see anyone booking a hotel in Hyde. Park just to visit a library.

I think it will be a decent tourism draw either way, but it's mainly about prestige I'd say.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 16, 2014 6:50 PM

I always thought a statue to him where he gave his acceptance speech in Grant Park would be a nice little tribute/tourism draw. No matter what you think of the job he has done , that moment still deserves a marker of some sort.

Skyguy_7 Sep 16, 2014 7:13 PM

^ Is this not it? ;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zJpnTu57Ko...culp-8002e.jpg

Sorry, but I had to.

Baronvonellis Sep 16, 2014 7:13 PM

The Jimmy Carter Museum is next to downtown Atlanta. It also has the headquarters for the Carter Center, his global outreach non-profit. I think Obama will have something similar, since he is quite young still. Yea, I don't think this will spur any direct development. Presidential libraries aren't exactly huge tourist draws. The Lucas museum would be more likely to spur some development.
The library would only serve to improve the general prestige of the city.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 16, 2014 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6731060)
Antunovich just literally slapped me around a bit (in a friendly way) for my stuff on Curbed about the British School south loop. "It's not finished! It's not finished!" The gray walls will be painted to match the precast.

I just love when things are painted to "match the precast", that's always sure to result in pure beauty...

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine (Post 6731706)
I think U of C is proposing to use the site at the NW corner of 55th Street and MLK, directly next to the train stop, for the Obama Library.

I hope so, I've been advocating this from day one of the Obama Library conversation in this city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6731777)
I'm puzzled by those who keep talking about the Obama library as spurring redevelopment and investment. Have any of you ever visited a presidential museum?

As a history buff, I've visited the majority of them. I've never noticed any spinoff private development.

You don't think that a multi-billion dollar investment dedicated to preserving the history of America's first non-white male president is going spur development in the heart of Chicago's nearly all black South Side? You don't think that the Lincoln library (and all of his other history) in Springfield attracts tourists? You have to remember that the presidential library is something we really didn't start doing until recently and the earliest libraries were all relatively modest. Some people are suggesting this could be a billion dollar project. If it goes to the U of C it will spur development because there probably is not room for it East of Washington Park and North of the Midway. that means that it will push U of C further out into the surrounding areas and U of C is the only reason why Hyde Park stayed as nice as it has to begin with.

Tom Servo Sep 16, 2014 9:14 PM

Oh, very handsome! Now THIS is how brick should be done

Tom Servo Sep 16, 2014 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 6731062)
I believe it belongs at U of C, but the mention of the UIC Harrison site really intrigues me. That location would be easily accessible to public tran, closer to the city and have incredible views. However, he has no ties that i know of to UIC ..so probably not.

Closer to "the city"??

Both the University of Chicago and UIC are the same closeness to the city; they're inside it. :koko:

The library belongs in Hyde Park or Kenmore. Period.

Ryanrule Sep 16, 2014 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 6732151)
Oh, very handsome! Now THIS is how brick should be done

too bad its overpriced about 1000 a month.

ChiTownWonder Sep 16, 2014 10:09 PM

Diden't really know where to put this but nik wallenda is going to walk a tightrope in winter across the Chicago river from the Marina City west tower to the Leo Burnett Building.

sorry if this was old news but it just came up on the news now so i thought i might as well post it :D

brian_b Sep 17, 2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanrule (Post 6732210)

How else do you think they can afford nice brickwork?

Vlajos Sep 17, 2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

How do you know? Are they struggling with leasing?

Rizzo Sep 17, 2014 1:21 AM

Quote:

Usually I'm the one calling things overpriced, but that's not the case here.

It's a high quality building with great ammenties, location, and rational floorplans. In-unit W/D and most important....9' min height ceilings. Don't think I could stand paying $2000 / month for those those 8'-4" caves in new buildings downtown.

ardecila Sep 17, 2014 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6731777)
I'm puzzled by those who keep talking about the Obama library as spurring redevelopment and investment. Have any of you ever visited a presidential museum?

As a history buff, I've visited the majority of them. I've never noticed any spinoff private development.

This depends largely on the architectural program, right? Obviously in its most literal sense a library will only attract researchers, but the Lincoln Library is more museum than research center and quickly became the biggest tourist attraction in Springfield. The Clinton Library is an architectural landmark that anchors a huge set of parks in Little Rock.

I don't think it's a stretch to think that the Obama Library might spur adjacent development if it is a landmark building, if it engages the community and if it contains major tourism programming.

The real relevant point is, if there is a chance that the Obama Library could help revive a struggling neighborhood, then why squander that potential by putting it right downtown on UIC's campus where private development isn't permitted anyway?

Chi-Sky21 Sep 17, 2014 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 6732153)
Closer to "the city"??

Both the University of Chicago and UIC are the same closeness to the city; they're inside it. :koko:

If you must be pedantic and could not infer what I meant.....closer to the core. Is that better?

Ryanrule Sep 17, 2014 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6732457)

It's a high quality building with great ammenties, location, and rational floorplans. In-unit W/D and most important....9' min height ceilings. Don't think I could stand paying $2000 / month for those those 8'-4" caves in new buildings downtown.

you are paying at 4k a month for a 2 bed here.

marothisu Sep 17, 2014 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanrule (Post 6732972)
you are paying at 4k a month for a 2 bed here.

And there's about 5+ new high rises in downtown Chicago, and a few older ones (i.e. Walton on the Park - 1 bedrooms are $3000/mo and most of the building is leased) with prices that high and most of them are pretty well leased. What's your point?

SamInTheLoop Sep 17, 2014 3:01 PM

^ Sounds like a very general "the rent is too damn high" as opposed to a fundamental current market mispricing of downtown Class A apartments....

SamInTheLoop Sep 17, 2014 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6732457)

As far as I know, for new construction, the 8-8 1/2' type ceiling heights have been relegated to the past. There might be a developer or two that still gets cheap on floor-to-floor heights (maybe Magellan.....what are Coasts' ceiling heights I wonder?), however, I think most everything is now at least approx. 9', and hopefully will be getting closer to at least 9 1/2' or so.....

Via Chicago Sep 17, 2014 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6732499)
This depends largely on the architectural program, right? Obviously in its most literal sense a library will only attract researchers, but the Lincoln Library is more museum than research center and quickly became the biggest tourist attraction in Springfield.

It seems in more modern cases these are only "libraries" in a loose sense of the definition and really are moreso vehicles to try to shape and dictate legacies. Honestly I think the trend is pretty egotistical.