SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   Another incredible Hamilton neighbourhood: Kirkendall (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135162)

flar Jul 22, 2007 4:19 AM

Another incredible Hamilton neighbourhood: Kirkendall

HAMILTON NEIGHBOURHOODS:
CorktownDurandCentralDundasLocke St. SouthBurlingtonStinsonWestdaleSt. ClairKeithLandsdale
The DeltaGibsonJamesvilleConcession StreetDurand NorthDurand SouthOld Dundas HousesHess VillageBarton Street
AncasterNorth KirkendallSouth KirkendallMcMaster UniversityDowntownThe BayfrontThe North EndKenilworth
Mountain BrowTextile DistrictStrathconaNorth StipleyFlamboroughBeasleyChedokeStoney CreekThe Beach Strip

HAMILTON FEATURES:
C I T Y _ L I G H T SStone HamiltonTwilight of the Industrial AgeTwilight of the Industrial Age II
Stone in Dundas and AncasterGoodbye, Hamilton (from 43 floors up)Dirty BrickDay for Night
This broken down old city still manages to wake up every morning...Everywhere, Ontario< R - E - T - R - O >
HAMILTON | Scenes from the cutting room floorS U B U R B I A !Everywhere, OntarioHamilton Rowhouses
< H E A V Y <> I N D U S T R Y > Old Man Winter vs. Hamilton

Locke Street South

Hamilton is known for its gritty, working class neighbourhoods, but many would be surprised at some of its beautiful
and vibrant neighbourhoods. Kirkendall is one such neighbourhood. Located in southwest Hamilton, there are many
beautiful homes in Kirkendall and a vibrant shopping district on Locke St. South. The tour starts on Locke St.
and then moves onto the residential streets.

http://aas.ath.cx/threads/kirkendall.jpg

raisethehammer Jul 22, 2007 12:30 PM

ahh, bikes bagels and bad dog. 3 best things about the hood.
great pics.

mrherodotus Jul 22, 2007 1:21 PM

Hamilton rocks, even if they did try to steal my Penguins.

the dude Jul 22, 2007 2:10 PM

that's where i'd live if i could afford it.

Swinefeld Jul 23, 2007 12:31 AM

Beautiful pics and great architecture. Wonderful! :tup:

holladay Jul 23, 2007 3:43 AM

You, my friend, are a fantastic photographer.
Thanks for all the recent glimpses into this mysterious city.

Cambridgite Jul 23, 2007 10:21 AM

Gentrified neighborhood? In HAMILTON?!

Nice pics. I really should take the time to visit this wonderful city which is a mere 40 minutes from me.

olga Jul 23, 2007 2:18 PM

Cosy and colorful! Very nice pics.

Wpg_Guy Jul 23, 2007 4:43 PM

well...those homes have just a tadd more character then the suburban boxes they build today. i love those old homes, built to stand forever.

HAMRetrofit Jul 23, 2007 7:53 PM

Those homes have much more than just a tadd more character than the suburban crap boxes that get built today. They are for connoisseurs of good taste.

Nice pictures.

Wheelingman04 Jul 24, 2007 12:11 AM

Wonderful photos of a neat city.

SteelTown Jul 24, 2007 6:03 PM

Beautiful!

Hopefully one day once I make more money I'll be able to live in this neighbourhood.

Good job flar!

raisethehammer Jul 24, 2007 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the dude (Post 2965585)
that's where i'd live if i could afford it.

hmmm, interesting.
I too live in Strathcona and wouldn't make the 5 minute move to Kirkendall for anything.
I love being a 10 minute walk from all of this, but living in a neighbourhood not quite so 'yuppified'.
Plus, Strathcona is getting the long awaited pedestrian bridge to the waterfront from the end of Locke North.
We'll all be a few minute walk from the waterfront!!

the dude Jul 24, 2007 9:33 PM

^it's true, but you and i live on different sides of the track, as it were. oxford is a surprisingly busy street and the adjacent lands are brownfields. i'm happy where i am but would prefer to live a few blocks south of here. my home in kirkendall would be, at least, $100G more. i'll be giving a tour of my 'hood in the next few days so get ready.

raisethehammer Jul 24, 2007 10:08 PM

you'll be glad to know that demolition is occuring at Hess and Stuart for future development and the piece of land bounded by Queen, Barton, Stuart and Oxford ( I think, whatever street is to the west of the site).
A local builder has plans for a multi-storey residential building for the area.
The future belongs to this area....it'll be amazing in 15 years.

mello Jul 24, 2007 10:28 PM

Damn these are nice. So what is Hamilton doing about those Brownfields

HAMRetrofit Jul 24, 2007 11:32 PM

^ Financial incentives are available for their remediation and redevelopment through a city program named ERASE.

flar Jul 26, 2007 11:43 AM

Thanks for looking, everyone.

I'd move to this area in a heartbeat--it's walkable, clean, everyone seems to have lots of flowers and gardens and the houses are all really nice and well-kept.

This is a good example of gentrification. Kirkendall was once a self-sufficient community, with all the daily household needs available on Locke Street, but the area declined in the 60's and 70's, later becoming a biker hangout. Today it has recovered into what we see here.

Links:
LockeStreet.com
Kirkendall Neighbourhood Association
Locke St. history

andrews Jul 26, 2007 5:34 PM

Great pictures, Nice contrast between the intense blue sky and the saturated colors of the brick walls and flowers.

Very interesting!

KevinFromTexas Jul 26, 2007 5:57 PM

Those are gorgeous. Both the photos and homes. Thanks for the tour.