SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

KDMusic Feb 1, 2019 1:27 AM

Crombie has updated their floor plan map and leasing opportunities list for Avalon Mall, a few interesting things I noticed.

- PSeudio's spot is currently listed as for lease, which I guess confirms what someone else said here that they are moving into Fog City's spot (over 2,000 sqft bigger)
- Eclipse's spot next to Charm on the first floor is listed as empty
- They've also updated to include new stuff such as The Rec Room, Booster Juice moving, and Little Burgundy opening.

Arrakis Feb 1, 2019 12:41 PM

Oh I totally realize it’s just a concept drawing with generic store renderings But like I said, it’s pure speculation on my part. I think it would be good though for both chapters and the mall if they moved into the mall expansion space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8457247)
I believe Coles is also in the Chapters/Indigo brand. I wouldn't put too much stock in concept drawings.

KDMusic Feb 1, 2019 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMusic (Post 8457260)
Crombie has updated their floor plan map and leasing opportunities list for Avalon Mall, a few interesting things I noticed.

- PSeudio's spot is currently listed as for lease, which I guess confirms what someone else said here that they are moving into Fog City's spot (over 2,000 sqft bigger)
- Eclipse's spot next to Charm on the first floor is listed as empty
- They've also updated to include new stuff such as The Rec Room, Booster Juice moving, and Little Burgundy opening.

Update to my last post, the mall made a post on Facebook to announce/confirm several moves
1. PSeudio is going where Fog City is
2. Fog City IS reopening in the parking lot later this year
3. Claire’s is temporairly going in between The Source & Charm Diamond (Which confirms what someone else suggested that Lush is going to take that space + the space next to it)
4. Samuel & Co is moving next to Aldo Shoes

wmemeadusjr Feb 4, 2019 12:24 PM

Avalon Mall Expansion

I noticed that steel is now being erected in the lower lot next to the old Sears as part of the next phase of the Avalon Mall Expansion. I'm guessing the entire area will be framed up and cladded in by the time the new Winners and HomeSense opens in August.

Arrakis Feb 4, 2019 8:51 PM

They have started construction of the Avalon Mall expansion with one of the two atriums. This will be along the new hallways way leading from the original Sears mall entrance right down to where the new Winners HomeSense will be. Here are a couple of pics I took this past weekend plus schematics of the proposed expansion onto the front parking lot showing the two atriums rising up from the rest of the design. A second schematic showing the floor plan and routes of the hallways into the new retails spaces.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f0&oe=5CEDABC1

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...70&oe=5CEC371B

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7a&oe=5CBBB676

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b2&oe=5CBA1F45

Tocchet22 Feb 6, 2019 12:20 PM

Telegram Article - Development

Pretty much summary of discussion topics on this forum over the past month:

https://www.thetelegram.com/business...on-way-281911/

colinpeddle Feb 6, 2019 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tocchet22 (Post 8462846)
Pretty much summary of discussion topics on this forum over the past month:

as I've said before... I bet if we all started saying there was a taco bell coming here a week later they'd report it.

Quote:

When Fog City leaves, Pseudio — the restaurant’s across-the-hall neighbour — is reportedly relocating into the vacated space, albeit after some serious renovations to convert it from restaurant and bar to a clothing retailer.
"reportedly" by who? lol

Larla77 Feb 6, 2019 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 8463063)
as I've said before... I bet if we all started saying there was a taco bell coming here a week later they'd report it.

"reportedly" by who? lol

The Mall posted about that on their facebook.

"As we continue with our redevelopment, some of our current retailers will be moving locations. Fog City will relocate to a new location on the mall parking lot later this year, and Pseudio will move into the the Fog City location. Samuel & Co. is moving next to Aldo Shoes, and, for the next year, Claire’s is temporarily located between The Source and Charm Diamond Centres."

colinpeddle Feb 6, 2019 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8463106)
The Mall posted about that on their facebook.

"As we continue with our redevelopment, some of our current retailers will be moving locations. Fog City will relocate to a new location on the mall parking lot later this year, and Pseudio will move into the the Fog City location. Samuel & Co. is moving next to Aldo Shoes, and, for the next year, Claire’s is temporarily located between The Source and Charm Diamond Centres."

I'm pretty certain someone posted it here before the mall posted it.

jjbnl Feb 8, 2019 2:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 8463112)

For someone who complains endlessly on twitter and social media about other news organizations 'scooping' the telegram, Kenn Oliver surely does enough of it from here.

rthomasd Feb 13, 2019 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 8463112)

So Fitzpatrick's are auctioning the Fog City stuff - chairs/tables, fridges/stoves, fryers, even the props and speakers in the ceiling.

Would they be doing this is they were going to be relocating??

Horsell Feb 13, 2019 11:04 PM

I would...any new location is going to want new stuff, the best of everything.

colinpeddle Feb 14, 2019 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 8473113)
I would...any new location is going to want new stuff, the best of everything.

As well, stuff gets soooooo beat up by careless work crews who don't give a damn about the stuff they're handling. Heck, even if they DO care, stuff always gets beat up in transit.

Moreover, if you only had 40 tables/chairs and now you need 50, where you gonna get those extra 10? Pay someone to make them. Okay, now you have 10 brand new chairs/tables that look pure mint compared to the stuff - even if its refreshed - from the original location. Just doesn't make sense.

And then, the cost to reproduce and match original equipment is probably near equal to the cost of just buying "new" stuff from elsewhere.

statbass Feb 15, 2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinpeddle (Post 8474041)
As well, stuff gets soooooo beat up by careless work crews who don't give a damn about the stuff they're handling. Heck, even if they DO care, stuff always gets beat up in transit.

Moreover, if you only had 40 tables/chairs and now you need 50, where you gonna get those extra 10? Pay someone to make them. Okay, now you have 10 brand new chairs/tables that look pure mint compared to the stuff - even if its refreshed - from the original location. Just doesn't make sense.

And then, the cost to reproduce and match original equipment is probably near equal to the cost of just buying "new" stuff from elsewhere.

Plus the stuff gets beat to a pulp from general day-to-day use. I'd imagine some of the stuff is 20+ years old and in dire need of replacement. It'll be interesting to see what the new fog city restaurant will look like. I hope they continue to do well. The food is not for everyone, but they serve a purpose.

Larla77 Feb 15, 2019 7:01 PM

Anyone hear anything about work at the former Goodlife on Torbay Rd? There's a dumpster out front now and there was a commercial permit for retail for that location in the last City Council Agenda. I've been wondering if the Sobeys next door is expanding into the space and finally getting spruced up a bit (ie renovated)

goodgrowth Feb 16, 2019 7:47 PM

Not sure if it's already been mentioned here but according to The Telegram the Newfoundland Chocolate Company is going in to the Torbay Rd mall where the dollar store was. Apparently it's going to be production + retail section.

rthomasd Feb 16, 2019 9:14 PM

Shoppers redevelopment at Freshwater / Empire has been approved by City Council finally. Perhaps see some work there soon.

Larla77 Feb 19, 2019 6:19 PM

Seeing reported that Payless will be closing all Canadian locations. They have 2 locations in St. John's - the Avalon Mall and the Village Mall.

NewfBC Feb 19, 2019 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8479628)
Seeing reported that Payless will be closing all Canadian locations. They have 2 locations in St. John's - the Avalon Mall and the Village Mall.

Closing all North American locations - 248 in Canada
https://globalnews.ca/news/4975274/p...X0UVrxBoo4Z3qk

Ron.

Darkfire Feb 20, 2019 6:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8475759)
Anyone hear anything about work at the former Goodlife on Torbay Rd? There's a dumpster out front now and there was a commercial permit for retail for that location in the last City Council Agenda. I've been wondering if the Sobeys next door is expanding into the space and finally getting spruced up a bit (ie renovated)

It’s another Dollarama