SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

kpexpress Jan 27, 2010 7:18 PM

@dillonliam is providing amazing live updates via twitter on the stadium talks in CCDC right now

Fusey Jan 28, 2010 1:32 AM

If the downtown stadium ends up on the ballot stadium proponents better use this shot in the campaign ads:

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/...037__t290.jpg?

OneMetropolis Jan 28, 2010 4:35 AM

I support this stadium. I wonder if it really will come to fruition!:notacrook:

And yes SD forumers I've turned over a new leaf I am no longer the SD bashing troll you know me by so please do forgive me.

staplesla Jan 28, 2010 5:56 PM

Consultant: New Stadium Needs Shared Financing

The cost of building stadiums for professional sports franchises has increased beyond the ability for owners or even public entities to pay for them alone, a consultant hired by the Centre City Development Corp. said Wednesday.

Stadium price tags skyrocketed beginning around 2002, leading to the $1.2 billion stadium opened during the current NFL season for the Dallas Cowboys, said Mitchell Ziets, who made a presentation to the CCDC board of directors.

Ziets provided background information that CCDC officials hope will help them negotiate a financial package for the Chargers to build a stadium in downtown San Diego.

"We're a long way from any kind of football stadium yet," CCDC Chairman Fred Maas said.

All 11 NFL stadiums built or renovated since 2002 were funded by a mix of public and private financing, with multiple jurisdictions often being involved, said Ziets, of Evolution Media Capital in New York City.

Ford Field, the stadium for the Detroit Lions, was built with the participation of the city and county, according to Ziets. Lucas Oil Stadium was built for the Indianapolis Colts with the help of several counties, and other stadiums received financing from state governments, he said.

The Chargers said for several years they wanted to privately finance a new home. But when the site at the edge of East Village became the last viable alternative, they conceded that public financing would be required.

The trend, however, is for NFL owners to shoulder a greater share of the financial burden, Ziets said.

"Teams are willing to put more (money) in," he said. "Are they willing to fund it themselves? No."

He said teams in the biggest markets were willing to put in more money for stadium construction. San Diego is traditionally considered a small sports market, but since Los Angeles doesn't have a professional football team, the definition of the local market is less precise.

* Ziets' report did include several nuggets for those who support the downtown stadium idea:
* Since the early 1990s, 27 of 38 stadium referendums in all professional sports were passed by voters. Of the 11 that failed, 10 were eventually built after passing a later vote, gaining legislative approval or obtaining private financing
* Around the new millenium, a stadium being a catalyst for nearby development was just an idea, but now it's reality, with recent examples being the Padres' Petco Park and Staples Center in Los Angeles
* The Florida Marlins of Major League Baseball managed to attract financing for a new stadium despite a small fan base and poor economic conditions similar to those of California
Lenders who have not been involved in stadium financing in the past are more interested now

Maas said Ziets will return in two to three months with a report that's more precise about the situation in San Diego, and he hopes the Chargers will have completed a financial feasibility plan by then regarding the East Village site.

http://www.10news.com/news/22358446/detail.html

IconRPCV Jan 28, 2010 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMetropolis (Post 4670498)
I support this stadium. I wonder if it really will come to fruition!:notacrook:

And yes SD forumers I've turned over a new leaf I am no longer the SD bashing troll you know me by so please do forgive me.

Ahh that puts my heart at ease, Now that you support it it is sure to get built.

KevinFromTexas Jan 30, 2010 12:40 AM

This thread is about San Diego. So leave politics and Obama out of it. If you want to talk politics, this isn't the thread for it. Last warning.

Derek Jan 30, 2010 6:40 AM

Damn it. I missed something. Does anybody want to send me a PM and fill me in? :)

eburress Jan 30, 2010 6:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4673895)
Damn it. I missed something. Does anybody want to send me a PM and fill me in? :)

I'm guessing it was troll-related. ;)

dl3000 Jan 30, 2010 6:26 PM

O good that was resolved. Anyway, I was checking out some stuff related to the trolley and it got me thinking, whatever happened to the mid coast study to La Jolla? Is that shelved or still in the works or what? Also, along Morena, that would be 6 tracks going down there if HSR and Trolley get built. Is there room for that?

tdavis Jan 31, 2010 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 4674379)
O good that was resolved. Anyway, I was checking out some stuff related to the trolley and it got me thinking, whatever happened to the mid coast study to La Jolla? Is that shelved or still in the works or what? Also, along Morena, that would be 6 tracks going down there if HSR and Trolley get built. Is there room for that?

Council member Sherri Lightner is pushing for the HSR to now go down the I-15 to Mission Valley (bypass UTC, SD Airport, downtown). The Mid-Coast extension is scheduled to use the same right-of-way and the HSR/San Diego Trolley were going to combine the development into one to save money, but now because of the latest push to move HSR the trolley extension has stalled.

Here is more information on the MidCoast Trolley extension: http://www.sandag.org/index.asp?proj...rojects.detail

HurricaneHugo Jan 31, 2010 4:19 AM

stupid

Derek Jan 31, 2010 8:15 AM

Stalled projects?! My favorite. :)

Fusey Jan 31, 2010 5:33 PM

^ Sounds similar to what I'm working on in Honolulu right now. The rail line across the southern stretch of Oahu was supposed to be elevated. Now the state practically wants to start over and build the entire thing on ground-level.

SDfan Feb 1, 2010 6:26 AM

Someone needs to tell Sheri Lightner to shut up!

What is with this city?!

dl3000 Feb 1, 2010 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 4675016)
Council member Sherri Lightner is pushing for the HSR to now go down the I-15 to Mission Valley (bypass UTC, SD Airport, downtown). The Mid-Coast extension is scheduled to use the same right-of-way and the HSR/San Diego Trolley were going to combine the development into one to save money, but now because of the latest push to move HSR the trolley extension has stalled.

Here is more information on the MidCoast Trolley extension: http://www.sandag.org/index.asp?proj...rojects.detail

Thanks for the info. I had no idea they were taking that relocation of the HSR proposal so seriously.

staplesla Feb 1, 2010 11:28 PM

dl3000 - An organization has now been formed to "save the Rose Canyon from rail." This Rose Canyon is the current preferred alignment for the HSR and Mid-Coast Trolley extension. Currently the Amtrack runs through there.

This organized group of individuals have been working with Sherri Lightner and the CA HSR to move the line to continue down I-15 and stop in Mission Valley. From what I understand those in opposition to the current proposed line through UTC, down the I-5, by Old Town, the airport, then downtown SD have raised such a fuss that HSR is seriously considering moving the project. And I've been told the HSR will announce the final preferred route this month.

tdavis Feb 1, 2010 11:32 PM

The CA HSR set up a special mailbox because of the large amount of complaints they were getting about the Rose Canyon.

Anyone interested in voicing their concerns or stating your support for keeping the preferred route the same can email: rosecanyon@san.rr.com and
comments@hsr.ca.gov

HurricaneHugo Feb 1, 2010 11:52 PM

what the heck....screw Rose Canyon

build the Regents Bridge as well

dl3000 Feb 2, 2010 4:22 PM

Only reason I can think of is that Rose Canyon is along one of the more prominent faults in the region, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the info.

staplesla Feb 2, 2010 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 4678475)
Only reason I can think of is that Rose Canyon is along one of the more prominent faults in the region, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the info.

Their rationale is all environmental. Though I understand the need to protect the environment, it's not as if we'd be building rail lines where there aren't already any. Freight and Amtrack already travel through here.