SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

staplesla Oct 13, 2009 3:35 AM

New SD City Hall A Step Closer

The city of San Diego took the next step Monday toward building a new $432 million City Hall by entering into exclusive negotiations with a developer.

The City Council voted 5-3 to begin talks with Portland, Ore.-based Gerding Edlen.

The council retained the right to back out if the building won't save the city money over current costs to lease downtown office space and maintain the 1964 City Hall.

Council members Carl DeMaio, Donna Frye and Sherri Lightner objected to the negotiations in part because there was no requirement that the project go before voters for final approval.

“I need to have a commitment that we are actually going to give the public a vote because it is public money,” Frye said. “If it's such a cool thing and a great deal, then we should want a public vote.”

Mayor Jerry Sanders has repeatedly said the project would go before voters – possibly as early as the November 2010 election – regardless of whether the city is legally required to do so.

A council majority – Marti Emerald, Kevin Faulconer, Todd Gloria, Ben Hueso and Tony Young – declined to amend the agreement with the developer to require a public vote and left the door open to skip that step.

“It's most likely that it'll probably go to a public vote, but I think we should reserve the option not to, just in case,” said Hueso, the council president.

The negotiations are expected to take less than six months and cost as much as $705,000. That money will pay for environmental experts, construction consultants and financial gurus.

The project calls for a 34-story City Hall with an underground garage at C Street and First Avenue, just west of the current building. It would consolidate city offices now spread throughout downtown and eliminate several city leases.

Two dozen supporters, from taxpayer advocates to community leaders to building-industry professionals, urged the council to enter the negotiations to see if the project pencils out for taxpayers.

Tom Sudberry, a real estate developer, called it a “generational opportunity” to build a major civic project because of the lowered construction costs from the recession.

“I'd like to really encourage you to think long-term,” he said. “Think about the legacy we can leave to the next generation.”

Young said he realizes some taxpayers may question the wisdom of building a City Hall during an economic recession. But he noted many world-famous civic projects were built during the Great Depression, including the Hoover Dam and the Golden Gate Bridge.

“I don't think anybody here would argue that those projects were not helpful and beneficial to the people of those municipalities and this whole country in regards to their worth,” he said. “This is a great time to show vision.”

The point of the negotiations is to provide hard numbers for the proposed project. The size of the new building – originally proposed to create 1 million square feet of office space – and whether the city will sell or lease nearby properties to the developer will be part of the discussions.

After constructing the City Hall, Gerding Edlen hopes to build retail, housing and a parking structure around it to generate profits.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...forward/?metro

SDfan Oct 13, 2009 4:32 AM

Does anyone see a proposal for a new city hall passing?

kpexpress Oct 13, 2009 8:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 4502709)

what happened to the proposition to research feasibility of moving the airport to Miramar in 2006?

I think that a lot of people will overlook the opportunity to take advantage of lowered construction costs and the amount of jobs it will create for people.

Hopefully this project will spur more growth and redevelopment along C Street.

mello Oct 13, 2009 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 4502320)
You Diegeans sure love Texas.

:frog:

Well when you think about it what other metro areas are still attracting companies on any kind of large scale?? Dallas, Houston, and the San Antonio/Austin region have steadily been scooping up California companies even during this deep Recession/Depression. So I would suggest any city especially the Empire of LA should follow the lead of Texas at least in some regard. What is the city of LA unemployment rate now? 13 %... (San Diego is only lower because such a big percentage of our jobs are crappy low wage Hospitality/Restaurant gigs) So I'm not just picking on Los Angeles.

I don't think E Burress is just speaking about San Diego using these Texas strategies and concepts to grow an economy, every city that is mired in piss poor wage and corporate grow like SD and LA should take a look at what they have been up to. If you really read up on business news it seems like every other week you can find California firms relocating all or part of their business units to TX. The middle class of this nation seems to be relocating to Texas it seems :(

mello Oct 13, 2009 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 4502709)

I don't see it passing a vote with the Citizens of Backwater By the Bay no... And why should they vote on everything? Do other major cities have citizens vote on every large civic project? Seriously vote for the airport, vote for city hall, stadiums, etc. the average San Diegan has no idea what they are talking about.

Anyone over 40 just wants things to stay the same and doesn't care that young people have no access to jobs paying more then $12 per hour... Think about it people where are future generations going to work in this Metro area. Companies are leaving in droves and aren't coming back :rolleyes: This will be a city of nurses, cops, and crappy service, restaurant, and retail jobs if things keep up like this.

Note to all you "No growth, it will cause traffic and noise, crowd" this is not San Luis Obispo! This is the 15 to 17th largest metro area in the US. If you want a chill laid back vibe move to SLO, Lompoc, Monterrey, or Santa Cruz. And if those places are too cold, then Costa Rica, Belize, and Panama will take you with open arms.

dl3000 Oct 14, 2009 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 4503611)
I don't see it passing a vote with the Citizens of Backwater By the Bay no... And why should they vote on everything? Do other major cities have citizens vote on every large civic project? Seriously vote for the airport, vote for city hall, stadiums, etc. the average San Diegan has no idea what they are talking about.

Anyone over 40 just wants things to stay the same and doesn't care that young people have no access to jobs paying more then $12 per hour... Think about it people where are future generations going to work in this Metro area. Companies are leaving in droves and aren't coming back :rolleyes: This will be a city of nurses, cops, and crappy service, restaurant, and retail jobs if things keep up like this.

Note to all you "No growth, it will cause traffic and noise, crowd" this is not San Luis Obispo! This is the 15 to 17th largest metro area in the US. If you want a chill laid back vibe move to SLO, Lompoc, Monterrey, or Santa Cruz. And if those places are too cold, then Costa Rica, Belize, and Panama will take you with open arms.

Agreed.

kpexpress Oct 14, 2009 8:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 4503611)

Now that I come to think of it....... "Lazy Beach Town" and America's Finest with pop 1.3 million + just don't mix well. Hate the cliche, but it's like oil and water. And when I just typed that word "Oil" it sounded like O'l, the way they say it in Texas. Too much Texas talk on this forum, but they're obviously doing something right. Well said Mello, well said.

kpexpress Oct 14, 2009 8:42 AM

just wondering if anyone here is on Twitter? I'm @kpexpress

staplesla Oct 15, 2009 2:48 AM

Well my my firm met today and the company is moving to Dallas. All employees have been offered relocation which is great. Senior management said they "couldn't afford the increasing CA taxes, and the inadequate airport has been a hindrance for a while." So I'll maintain my CA home, but off to Texas I go!

eburress Oct 15, 2009 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 4505799)
Well my my firm met today and the company is moving to Dallas. All employees have been offered relocation which is great. Senior management said they "couldn't afford the increasing CA taxes, and the inadequate airport has been a hindrance for a while." So I'll maintain my CA home, but off to Texas I go!

Wow - well, congratulations, staplesla! It's hot as hell, but Dallas is also a lot of fun. Great restaurants too.

Somebody ought to be able to see what's happening and why this state is in such dire financial straits. The state raises taxes, companies move away, the tax base shrinks, and in order to pay the bills, the state raises taxes... Stupid!

BrandonJXN Oct 15, 2009 4:05 PM

Again...San Diego and Dallas are forever connected.

dl3000 Oct 15, 2009 8:13 PM

eburress, I miss the french chick on your avatar.

eburress Oct 15, 2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 4506822)
eburress, I miss the french chick on your avatar.

hahaha - I was getting hit on too much by people thinking she was me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred
Again...San Diego and Dallas are forever connected.

That they are. Dallas may be luring more companies, but in SD's favor, it is every Dallasite's dream to have a home in SD. :)

kpexpress Oct 18, 2009 8:31 AM

anyone know what's going on in the warehouse building on the corner of J street and Park Blvd? That building has that huge garage door and I think it was used as a grocery supplier. I saw them doing a bunch of work on that building like painting the exterior and covering up some windows.

kpexpress Oct 20, 2009 6:05 AM

I officially registered to be a candidate to represent the East Village on the CCAC as a resident tenant. Please vote for me (Kyle Peterson) on October 26 or 27 at Java Jones.

Growth-Livability-Community....East Village

S.DviaPhilly Oct 20, 2009 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4510622)
anyone know what's going on in the warehouse building on the corner of J street and Park Blvd? That building has that huge garage door and I think it was used as a grocery supplier. I saw them doing a bunch of work on that building like painting the exterior and covering up some windows.

An intense gym, I saw a banner hanging up today that said "Coming Soon CrossFit." I like the color blue they painted it, and suprise, suprise someone already tagged it.

kpexpress Oct 21, 2009 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 4514792)
An intense gym, I saw a banner hanging up today that said "Coming Soon CrossFit." I like the color blue they painted it, and suprise, suprise someone already tagged it.

I noticed the tag this morning. I like how the blue is only painted to the corners of the building, you can still see the original brown color framing in the new color. Very cool.

voice of reason Oct 21, 2009 4:48 PM

Bankruptcy or Build?

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=186251

The article could have been titled Cognitive Dissonance is alive and well in SD.

SD has NO money so lets build our pet projects anyway.

California is in no better shape so lets build away.

eburress Oct 21, 2009 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice of reason (Post 4516288)
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...&zIndex=186251

The article could have been titled Cognitive Dissonance is alive and well in SD.

SD has NO money so lets build our pet projects anyway.

California is in no better shape so lets build away.

SD and CA need to make investments that will improve their money situation. Things that that will lure business and ultimately increase their tax base. It's the ONLY way things are going to improve.

HurricaneHugo Oct 22, 2009 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4513731)
I officially registered to be a candidate to represent the East Village on the CCAC as a resident tenant. Please vote for me (Kyle Peterson) on October 26 or 27 at Java Jones.

Growth-Livability-Community....East Village

Was supposed to go to the last meeting to do a report on it but couldn't. :(