SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

staplesla Nov 11, 2008 4:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3903938)
why not have another vote on Miramar?

I think the previous campaign in favor of moving the airport was poorly conducted. Maybe now with the economic downturn people would be more concerned with economic over convinience of a small airport right near downtown

Other propositions get voted on over and over, look at Prop 4, and abortion issue, it has been included in and failed the last 3 elections

With Obama stating he's going to cut defense spending this may be the only time to push something again at Miramar.

tdavis Nov 11, 2008 10:43 PM

SD airport

Something has got to be done and soon with the airport. Though maybe a bit slow now, air traffic will no doubt continue to grow over the next 30 years.

Jerry Sanders plan to build the new terminal off the I-5 is a joke. All it does it waste taxpayers money for a shiny new terminal with no room for future expansion. Plus like others have said on here, the one short runway is limiting in the amount of planes that can land and takeoff on a daily basis, and it doesn't allow for the newer wide-body planes.

San Diego is a freaking tourist mecca for crying out loud and we should have major flights to and from Asia and Australia considering our proximity, and our weather. Airports are major creaters for wealth and jobs but our councilmen and mayor don't seem to get it.

SDCAL Nov 12, 2008 2:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 3904282)
With Obama stating he's going to cut defense spending this may be the only time to push something again at Miramar.

excellent point, maybe the Feds will close Miramar. That's our only hope, the majority of people here have already proven they are anti-progress so the only way would be big brother coming in and shutting it down

SDCAL Nov 12, 2008 2:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 3905672)
Something has got to be done and soon with the airport. Though maybe a bit slow now, air traffic will no doubt continue to grow over the next 30 years.

Jerry Sanders plan to build the new terminal off the I-5 is a joke. All it does it waste taxpayers month for a shiny new terminal with no room for future expansion. Plus like others have said on here, the one short runway is limiting in the amount of planes that can land and takeoff on a daily basis, and it doesn't allow for the newer wide-body planes.

San Diego is a freaking tourist mecca for crying out loud and we should have major flights to and from Asia and Australia considering our proximity, and our weather. Airports are major creaters for wealth and jobs but our councilmen and mayor don't seem to get it.

it boggles my mind that the current plan so blatantly ignores the 10,000 lb gorilla in the room - - the ONE, SHORT runway

it makes absolutely no sense to sink millions into an airport before this fundamental problem has been addressed - -

Fusey Nov 12, 2008 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 3905672)

I've been thinking that for a long time as well. Besides the budget/pension problems, I think a new airport and a developed waterfront should be San Diego's top priorities. Perhaps better transit linking the city's tourist hotspots as well (PB, the Zoo, Gaslamp, etc.).

tdavis Nov 12, 2008 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 3907239)
I've been thinking that for a long time as well. Besides the budget/pension problems, I think a new airport and a developed waterfront should be San Diego's top priorities. Perhaps better transit linking the city's tourist hotspots as well (PB, the Zoo, Gaslamp, etc.).

The waterfront of downtown San Diego is right now honestly a joke. I love San Diego and with our wonderful climate and ability to be outdoors 24/7 this city is lacking in vision. New York City has the amazing Battery Park with ferry's, restaurants, and streets vendors. Australia has beautiful waterfront parks with beaches, open lawns. Miami has South Beach. And San Diego, which arguable has the better climate than all, has a fairly narrow sidewalk full of homeless people running between a run-down cruise ship terminal area to the convention center.

And personally, though I like the design of the convention center, I think it walls off a large portion of our bay from downtown. In reality, when convention center attendees go to the halls they are stuck inside and don't see the bay anyway. It should have been designed a few blocks inland, allowing for that area to be accessible by all downtown residents and visitors to enjoy the bay.

And the failed deck near the Hilton, though very flawed in the way it was presented to the public and thrown together at what seemed the last minute, at least offered a glimpse of what could be offered for downtown residents and visitors.

I've had 3 friends visit in the past 6 months. Each loved the beaches, Balboa Park, and the weather of course. But, when I took them downtown each mentioned that they felt the area was uninviting and was boring (minus Gaslamp to Petco), and I caught myself having to defend things that in the long run I guess I agreed with them on.

My best-friend from college said last week - "I thought San Diego was supposed to be a great coastal city. Coronado and La Jolla have obviously embraced the coast, but San Diego seems to not care about the waterfront at all."

HurricaneHugo Nov 13, 2008 6:30 AM

failed deck near the hilton?

Fusey Nov 13, 2008 5:04 PM

Meh. That project was a joke. Ports aren't the prettiest things in the world, but they are necessary. The deck would have been problematic to the SD port's operations which many local companies (especially NASSCO) and the military depend upon.

Gothenburg wants to redevelop its waterfront like San Diego does, but many areas are simply off-limits due to similar situations (in Gothenburg's case it's the main port for Nordic countries and Volvo operations next to it).

tdavis Nov 13, 2008 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 3909621)
Meh. That project was a joke. Ports aren't the prettiest things in the world, but they are necessary. The deck would have been problematic to the SD port's operations which many local companies (especially NASSCO) and the military depend upon.

Gothenburg wants to redevelop its waterfront like San Diego does, but many areas are simply off-limits due to similar situations (in Gothenburg's case it's the main port for Nordic countries and Volvo operations next to it).

I agree that project was flawed, the reason I voted No. But I do like that it gets people talking. I don't agree with your statement though that many areas are off limits. In 100-200 years things like this will have to be considered due to increased density and population growth.

Fusey Nov 13, 2008 9:12 PM

My apologies, I didn't mean some areas are completely off-limits, but rather that some projects are financially or structurally flawed and shouldn't even be considered, such as putting a deck over the port. If a project was proposed that redeveloped the port and made the city more money I'd be all for it.

Derek Nov 14, 2008 5:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoastersBolts (Post 3903116)
East Miramar = NIMBYism beyond belief from Scripps Ranch, Tierrasanta, and possibly even Santee.

It makes the best possible location yes, because of the space. But I just don't see East Miramar happening for the above reason.

Eminent domain! :)

staplesla Nov 14, 2008 5:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 3911240)
Eminent domain! :)

I lived in the most affluent area in Dallas (Highland Park) which is located 15 blocks from Dallas Love Field airport. The people there are just use to it and don't complain. Locals here will need to get over it or we'll be in a lot of hurt in the future when it comes to local air travel.

ShekelPop Nov 14, 2008 5:37 AM

Vantage Pointe's crane is coming down, from CCDC:

The tower crane for Vantage Pointe, the 40-story, 679-unit condominium project at Tenth Avenue and B Street, is scheduled to be disassembled and removed Thursday, Nov. 13 through Saturday, Nov. 20.

Anyone have any recent up close shots? I haven't made it downtown recently.

Derek Nov 14, 2008 7:12 AM

I was just down there. No shots. :(

It looks good though!

If only Brake Depot would somehow...disappear. :P

eburress Nov 14, 2008 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 3911268)
I lived in the most affluent area in Dallas (Highland Park) which is located 15 blocks from Dallas Love Field airport. The people there are just use to it and don't complain. Locals here will need to get over it or we'll be in a lot of hurt in the future when it comes to local air travel.

Hey, another former Dallasite! I was born here in SD, but I grew up in Richardson and have also lived in Plano and Frisco. It seems like half the people in San Diego used to live in Dallas! ;)

So, you understand how incredibly frustrating it is living here. So much of the bullshit we deal with here in San Diego (e.g., NIMBYism) just doesn't happen in Dallas. People in North Texas WANT Dallas to be a great city and are willing to make a few sacrifices to make it happen, whereas here, people are more concerned about their own needs, not to mention that they seem to want to keep things the way they were 50 years ago.

San Diego could be one of the World's greatest cities but the people who live here do EVERYTHING they can to keep that from happening. This city's residents are collectively screwing up a wet dream.

staplesla Nov 14, 2008 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 3912036)
Hey, another former Dallasite! I was born here in SD, but I grew up in Richardson and have also lived in Plano and Frisco. It seems like half the people in San Diego used to live in Dallas! ;)

So, you understand how incredibly frustrating it is living here. So much of the bullshit we deal with here in San Diego (e.g., NIMBYism) just doesn't happen in Dallas. People in North Texas WANT Dallas to be a great city and are willing to make a few sacrifices to make it happen, whereas here, people are more concerned about their own needs, not to mention that they seem to want to keep things the way they were 50 years ago.

San Diego could be one of the World's greatest cities but the people who live here do EVERYTHING they can to keep that from happening. This city's residents are collectively screwing up a wet dream.

I agree totally. I loved Dallas, the shopping and food choices were much better, but I couldn't get over the 110 degree temperatures. ;)

From a culture diversity standpoint I think you can't get much better than NYC. For a quality of life standpoint I think San Diego offers more than any other city in the U.S. (the reason we moved here). We've been here two years now and I just see a lack of vision by people here, especially the leaders to pump up the excitement about various projects. I'm not sure why that is so though.

With all this area has to offer we seem to hold progress back. And considering the beaches, mountains, weather, parks, etc. this area should be a tourist mecca and should be reaping in the the cash and should not be in financial trouble.

bmfarley Nov 15, 2008 1:51 AM

Mmm.... me too. I live near Love Field for a year, then near Forest & Marsh Lane... then in Denton Tx. I have family in Mansfield.

obendega Nov 15, 2008 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 3911271)
Anyone have any recent up close shots? I haven't made it downtown recently.

Funny you should ask, I was just testing out my new D90 downtown yesterday.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...ntagePoint.jpg

HurricaneHugo Nov 15, 2008 4:39 AM

purdy

obendega Nov 15, 2008 7:01 AM

Setai San Diego is looking pretty good too.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...81114Setai.jpg