SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Feb 5, 2008 9:45 AM

La Jolla Commons

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...g?t=1202204595
(notice my bumper falling off)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...g?t=1202204657

Nearly crashed into the car in front of me here.:D

I love my new camera-phone.:D

bmfarley Feb 5, 2008 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3331773)
I'd really rather see a major civic project get off the ground before another stadium what about the new main LIBRARY

For me the issue or concern involves city pride. I find it difficult to imagine a a real American city, a national city, a city of significance....without an NFL team (or at least a top notch, upper echelon college team, like LA's USC). Other than LA, is there any top notch city without an NFL team? Or without 2 other pro teams involving baseball or basketball?

Do you consider these top tier cities: Portland, Orlando, Las Vegas, Austin, San Antonio, Albequerque, Memphis, Louisville? I don't. I feel San Diego would fall into this class if the Chargers are lost.... and I don't think that is a good thing on many levels. Tourism.... jobs... and SD being sought for top notch thinking class professional services (consulting) would diminish... and other negative things.

Other than than... Fox News Christy Russo is hot!

Prediction for today... Obama will get more of California's democratic delegates than Clinton.

mello Feb 5, 2008 8:19 PM

I love the marine terminal deck idea!!

Like Ben Stiller said in Starsky and Hutch: "DO IT" :cheers:

That would put this city on the farking map. Could you imagine the views from an elevated stadium right on the water. It would be an engineering marvel and world reknowned!! I say floating airport and deck over terminal with a stadium. This city needs some exciting projects some new energy. Hell we are heading in to a serious recession we need something to look forward to.

Derek Feb 5, 2008 10:16 PM

Yay for not having money. :banana:

SDCAL Feb 6, 2008 8:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3331973)
That can wait.

New Chargers stadium please!

no, it can't wait, have you seen the current downtown library ?

We already have the baseball stadium downtown, I would like variety - sports, arts, culture, apparently you favor heavily on sports, but that alone doesn't make a great city

we are woefully lagging in civic development

SDCAL Feb 6, 2008 8:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3332250)
For me the issue or concern involves city pride. I find it difficult to imagine a a real American city, a national city, a city of significance....without an NFL team (or at least a top notch, upper echelon college team, like LA's USC). Other than LA, is there any top notch city without an NFL team? Or without 2 other pro teams involving baseball or basketball?

Do you consider these top tier cities: Portland, Orlando, Las Vegas, Austin, San Antonio, Albequerque, Memphis, Louisville? I don't. I feel San Diego would fall into this class if the Chargers are lost.... and I don't think that is a good thing on many levels. Tourism.... jobs... and SD being sought for top notch thinking class professional services (consulting) would diminish... and other negative things.

Other than than... Fox News Christy Russo is hot!

Prediction for today... Obama will get more of California's democratic delegates than Clinton.

I'm not sure I follow the logic. Some of the cities you mention have no pro-sports, we have baseball downtown. Some have metro populations half or less the size of San Diego. San Diego is not a world-class city, either by the way, not on the level of SF, LA, NY and we have major league baseball and football. Most people WOULD list San Diego with the cities you mentioned, even with the Chargers and Padres. In fact, Las Vegas is much more recognized globally than we are. I've travelled the world and very few people in remote areas have heard of San Diego, I always have to reference LA or SF. In the larger scope of things, pro-sports has very little to do with how "top=tier" a city is. There are many things that would make SD world-class that have nothing to do with sports.

and, Clinton killed Obama in California ;)

IconRPCV Feb 6, 2008 4:01 PM

I want the library and a new Charger stadium. I think that the stadium is a more pressing need however. A city that has tourism as one of its main components needs to have nationally televised games showing however beautiful our city and weather is during the cold winter months.

bmfarley Feb 6, 2008 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3334757)
I'm not sure I follow the logic. Some of the cities you mention have no pro-sports, we have baseball downtown. Some have metro populations half or less the size of San Diego. San Diego is not a world-class city, either by the way, not on the level of SF, LA, NY and we have major league baseball and football. Most people WOULD list San Diego with the cities you mentioned, even with the Chargers and Padres. In fact, Las Vegas is much more recognized globally than we are. I've travelled the world and very few people in remote areas have heard of San Diego, I always have to reference LA or SF. In the larger scope of things, pro-sports has very little to do with how "top=tier" a city is. There are many things that would make SD world-class that have nothing to do with sports.

and, Clinton killed Obama in California ;)

I don't go to Charger games nor do I follow them very closely. However, I want the Chargers to remain in San Diego so the city can retain the NFL status symbol and sense of identity that comes with them. Without the Chargers, and unless there are other pro sports teams here, San Diego loses status and identity (also the economic stimulus that comes with them. But I'll put that aside for now).

To some, that sense of identity or status is not real or it's false or lacks merit. I'd disagree. I believe it plays a role in how people feel or how happy they are. Whether it's true or accurate or not... if people were surveyed on how happy they were, or were better off than they were the year before, a large number of people would respond based on how well the Chargers did the past season.

Oh, I personally am undecided about either Obama or Clinton.. It was just a prediction. Yeah, it looks like I was very wrong. Maybe not in total voter counts... but maybe more wrong with delegates won in this state. I haven't read the paper yet or visited CNN or the LA Times. Note... I didn't list the Tribune.

Derek Feb 7, 2008 3:01 AM

I don't know what I would do if the Chargers weren't here. :(

mello Feb 7, 2008 3:50 AM

There is no way people in this country would put San Diego in the same echelon of metro area as Louisville, Memphis, Alberquerque, San Antonio, and Austin.

Now Las Vegas and Orlando have much more recognition, I would still bet though if you asked the average American which metro area is significantly the largest out of Orlando, SD, or LV they would say San Diego.

Orlando has one sports team and Disney World. We all know what LV has and movies/TV shows are set there quite often. I believe that in the past 10 years San Diego has really been able to seperate itself from LA and carve out a nice niche on the West Coast. In a way it is kind of looked at as the Miami of the west coast (I said in a way).

So I think this metro area does have a decent identity and of course in remote areas over seas no one will have heard of it LOL, that doesn't matter. You think someone yak hurding in Mongolia knows about any cities besides the top 10 metro areas in the world??:haha:

Derek Feb 7, 2008 4:20 AM

From wikipedia:

Chula Vista
Chula Vista officials are discussing multiple sites where the Chargers can build a stadium. Two privately owned sites on the city's east side and two near the waterfront.

One Chula Vista site is located near State Route 125, southwest of the Chula Vista Olympic Training Center. The site has the land that a stadium would require, as well as transportation options for reaching such a venue. However there are concerns about the site’s distance from main transit lines.
One site rests on Chula Vista’s bayfront which is currently occupied by the South Bay Power Plant.
Another site rests in a vacant B.F. Goodrich site adjacent to the property that's already been designated for the Chula Vista Bayfront, a $750 million convention center and hotel complex. The project is set to break ground next year.
Another Chula Vista option falls on private property, owned by residential homebuilder, HomeFed Corp, which owns 3,000 acres (12 km²) in the Otay Ranch area, has conducted talks with the Chargers.[10]
Possible Name Change The Thursday January 17, 2008 issue of the San Diego Union Tribune stated that a name change to the "Chula Vista Chargers" has not been ruled out yet.

Are you shitting me? The Chula Vista Chargers? That's worse than the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

SantaCruzGuy Feb 7, 2008 4:45 AM

:previous: ... San Diego Chargers of Chulavista.... :boogy:

bmfarley Feb 7, 2008 5:48 AM

^^^
So, I take it that no one has any strong thoughts on the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal as a possible stadium idea?

Derek Feb 7, 2008 6:50 AM

I think it would be neat actually. It's just too bad that it won't happen.

HurricaneHugo Feb 7, 2008 9:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3337282)
^^^
So, I take it that no one has any strong thoughts on the 10th Avenue Marine Terminal as a possible stadium idea?

It'd be amazing but lets be realistic.

And there's no way they change the name to the Chula Vista Chargers.

bmfarley Feb 7, 2008 3:55 PM

I am not pimping it. I imagined there would have been more discussion of it.

IconRPCV Feb 7, 2008 4:03 PM

The terminal idea would be beyond cool but there is no chance of it happening. I predict that at the last moment the county will get involved and the stadium will end up at the Qualcomm site, not in Chula Vista. I still don't understand why Oceanside backed out I felt their site would have been a perfect fit.

keg92101 Feb 7, 2008 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 3337951)
The terminal idea would be beyond cool but there is no chance of it happening. I predict that at the last moment the county will get involved and the stadium will end up at the Qualcomm site, not in Chula Vista. I still don't understand why Oceanside backed out I felt their site would have been a perfect fit.

I'm not sure how to read into this one. The developer was not asking to approve, but just giving information. The port seemed nervous, as the article stated they are looking into whether or not a voter approved issue could over rule objection by the commission. The other aspect is the political one. If the voters overwhelmingly support a stadium at that site, and the port sides with a small majority of the "working waterfront", there would be hell to pay. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I've always been in favor of shutting down that terminal, as it runs a $10-$11 million dollar deficit every year, and gets a subsidy to break even. Its funny, tax payers scream at public investments in stadiums, which the city receives back a healthy return, but doesn't blink at subsidies to provide jobs like the 10th Ave terminal.

CoastersBolts Feb 7, 2008 8:30 PM

If you all are interested, read this blog which is updated about twice a week, about the Chargers search for a new stadium in San Diego County. It's called San Diego Stadium Watch and will be a combination of both articles from the various news sources as well as the blogger's commentary and interviews he conducts with the parties involved.
San Diego Stadium Watch

SDCAL Feb 8, 2008 6:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 3336987)
There is no way people in this country would put San Diego in the same echelon of metro area as Louisville, Memphis, Alberquerque, San Antonio, and Austin.

Now Las Vegas and Orlando have much more recognition, I would still bet though if you asked the average American which metro area is significantly the largest out of Orlando, SD, or LV they would say San Diego.

Orlando has one sports team and Disney World. We all know what LV has and movies/TV shows are set there quite often. I believe that in the past 10 years San Diego has really been able to seperate itself from LA and carve out a nice niche on the West Coast. In a way it is kind of looked at as the Miami of the west coast (I said in a way).

So I think this metro area does have a decent identity and of course in remote areas over seas no one will have heard of it LOL, that doesn't matter. You think someone yak hurding in Mongolia knows about any cities besides the top 10 metro areas in the world??:haha:

Well, international recognition is one indicator of how "world-class" a city is, and it's not remote areas I'm talking about - Have you been overseas and told people your from San Diego?? San Diego does not have widespread recognition in large overseas urban areas in Asia and even Europe. Over and over and over from Rome to Delhi to Bangkok, residents of these major cities who have never been to the US had never heard of San Diego, whereas they had heard of LA, SF and LV

Yes, we have recognition nationally, but even that is skewed. I was in Florida during the wildfires, and when I expressed my concern half the people I talked to had no idea San Diego was even effected at first because all the media attention was on Malibu even though those fires were smaller

I don't argue San Diego is in the process of "carving a niche on the West Coast", but it's not there yet no matter how much we want it to be