SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

EpicPonyTime Nov 14, 2018 5:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king10 (Post 8378471)
Am i living on a totally differnt planet?

1. Cfl has had sponsor patches on their jerseys for years
2. CP rail is one of the largest most profitable companies in canada that sure provides the CFL with a large steady income stream. Not to mention credibilty as CP is a very credible company

I was referring to larger sponsorships on the jerseys similar to what MLS has. A front-and-centre advertisement would command far more money than a small patch which can barely be seen on television.

I can't imagine what CP Rail pays is significant, since I can't imagine they gain a lot of new customers from the patch (do they even have consumer services? I thought they were largely business-oriented). Open the jersey up to bigger ads and I imagine you'd get the banks and companies like Microsoft bidding for it since it would expand their marketing and possibly get them more customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8378606)
Just wondering... who says advertisers don't care about people over 50?

I do find that a little strange myself. There's sense in the argument that old people are less likely to change their purchasing habits... but they're also the ones with money.

Acajack Nov 14, 2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 8378664)
I was referring to larger sponsorships on the jerseys similar to what MLS has. A front-and-centre advertisement would command far more money than a small patch which can barely be seen on television.

I can't imagine what CP Rail pays is significant, since I can't imagine they gain a lot of new customers from the patch (do they even have consumer services? I thought they were largely business-oriented). Open the jersey up to bigger ads and I imagine you'd get the banks and companies like Microsoft bidding for it since it would expand their marketing and possibly get them more customers.

I do find that a little strange myself. There's sense in the argument that old people are less likely to change their purchasing habits... but they're also the ones with money.

Who buys Audis, who buys bottles of Veuve-Cliquot, who buys vacation properties?

VANRIDERFAN Nov 14, 2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8378807)
Who buys Audis, who buys bottles of Veuve-Cliquot, who buys vacation properties?

Young people bring energy to the event, older people bring cash.

JHikka Nov 14, 2018 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8378606)
Just wondering... who says advertisers don't care about people over 50?

Oh, I didn't say anything about advertisers not caring about those 50+ - it's just that they care more about younger people for the sake of trending future business.

Quote:

Today, maybe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYT
Still, this most coveted generation [Millennials] is huge — about 80 million strong in the United States, larger than any other demographic group. And it recently crossed a milestone: As of March there are more millennials in the American work force than Generation Xers or baby boomers, according to the Pew Research Center. The consulting firm Accenture estimates that millennials will spend $1.4 trillion annually by 2020, and they are expected to inherit about $30 billion in the coming years.

“Why you’re seeing the fervor now is just where millennials are headed — out from the younger part of their life stage to where they’re in their first profession, they’re getting married, having children and influencing more spending,” said Christine Barton, a senior partner and managing director at the Boston Consulting Group.

As a result, businesses are terrified that if they don’t snare them now, they’ll miss the chance.

Emphasis added mine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/b...tion.html?_r=0

There's also the upside of potential long-term brand liability:

Quote:

Originally Posted by socialmediatoday
The most significant benefit to attracting a Millennial audience is their potential long-term value to a brand. However, a common misconception is that they aren't brand loyal because there are always new and improved products entering the market.

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/mar...ed-millennials

Quote:

I can't imagine what CP Rail pays is significant, since I can't imagine they gain a lot of new customers from the patch (do they even have consumer services? I thought they were largely business-oriented).

I think cfldb had a little blurb about there being confusion when the CP patches were added to jerseys because people didn't know what CP stood for or that it was a railway company. I think some people were reaching out asking if the patch meant the player was a Canadian Player or a Captain or something.

esquire Nov 14, 2018 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8379070)
I think cfldb had a little blurb about there being confusion when the CP patches were added to jerseys because people didn't know what CP stood for or that it was a railway company. I think some people were reaching out asking if the patch meant the player was a Canadian Player or a Captain or something.

Ha, I could totally see people thinking it was part of the uniform. The CP patches didn't have a recognizable logo or anything, they just said "CP"... they didn't look all that dissimilar from the captain patches you see in the NFL.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/2DUGs.png
https://www.cpr.ca/en/community-site...nry-Burris.jpg

Denscity Nov 14, 2018 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8379128)
Ha, I could totally see people thinking it was part of the uniform. The CP patches didn't have a recognizable logo or anything, they just said "CP"... they didn't look all that dissimilar from the captain patches you see in the NFL.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/2DUGs.png
https://www.cpr.ca/en/community-site...nry-Burris.jpg

I think that is one of CP’s logo/font.

esquire Nov 14, 2018 8:08 PM

^ The 'c' is the NFL's captain patch. It definitely looks similar to the CP patch.

JHikka Nov 16, 2018 2:44 PM

Couple numbers from this article on the potential sale of the BC Lions:

https://theprovince.com/sports/footb...-has-old-teeth

"Woodall and Keith made Braley a formal offer last year in the $14-million range that was rejected. That offer is now off the table, largely because the two businessmen believe the Lions are a diminishing asset. Average attendance was actually up marginally this year over last from 19,858 per game in 2017 to 19,975 in 2018. That ended a run of seven consecutive seasons in which attendance fell."

“We’re back at 2002 or 2003 with where the organization sits,” Woodall said.

There are other factors to consider. The Ottawa Redblacks, for example, paid a franchise fee of a reported $7 million when they came into the league for the 2014 season. The number for the proposed team in the Maritimes hasn’t been made public but it’s thought to be in that range.

Braley, meanwhile, has maintained there are other parties interested in owning the team. Again, that may be the case, and Canucks Sports and Entertainment remains a wild card as a potential buyer.

But a quick check with sources said they also believe the asking price is too high, which brings us back to Woodall and Keith."

UrbanClimate Nov 16, 2018 8:30 PM

CFL Playoff Ratings

http://3downnation.com/2018/11/16/cf...f-numbers-dip/

"The Winnipeg Blue Bomber’s win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the West semi drew an average audience of 1,280,000, making it the most-watched game of the CFL season thus far. The Riders have been the league’s top draw by a significant margin in 2018 and the game was close all the way to the final whistle.

But the East semifinal between the B.C. Lions and Hamilton Tiger-Cats was a blowout early and ended with the Ticats winning 48-8, which goes some way to explain the disappointing audience of 697,800. That’s less than the Ticats Labour Day game against the Argos, which drew 744,000."

esquire Nov 16, 2018 8:38 PM

^ 28-0 at the half feels great when you're a Ticats fan, but I guess it doesn't do much for the ratings!

Hackslack Nov 16, 2018 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanClimate (Post 8382022)
http://3downnation.com/2018/11/16/cf...f-numbers-dip/

"The Winnipeg Blue Bomber’s win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the West semi drew an average audience of 1,280,000, making it the most-watched game of the CFL season thus far. The Riders have been the league’s top draw by a significant margin in 2018 and the game was close all the way to the final whistle.

But the East semifinal between the B.C. Lions and Hamilton Tiger-Cats was a blowout early and ended with the Ticats winning 48-8, which goes some way to explain the disappointing audience of 697,800. That’s less than the Ticats Labour Day game against the Argos, which drew 744,000."

Is that 1 western final game tv ratings more than all 3 Canadian MLS teams season ratings combined?

JHikka Nov 16, 2018 9:09 PM

The CFL v MLS turf war stuff is going to be stopping here. Posts have been removed before and they'll be removed again. Try to talk about ratings without disparaging/trolling others. Constructive comparisons are fine but one-line pot shots aren't going to cut it. :tup:

Berklon Nov 17, 2018 6:37 AM

Looks like NFL viewership in Canada is up again this year.

NFL TV viewership in Canada up 19% over last year

Quote:

An empirical study conducted for the NFL revealed there are 12 million NFL fans in Canada this year, Turcke said – up 7% from 2017.

“That’s a big number. That’s a third of the country,” she said. “We’re big in Canada, we’re going to get bigger and we’re going to stay, that’s for sure.”

JHikka Nov 17, 2018 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 8382454)

The numbers from the article as they're pertinent to this thread:

"In Canada, average audiences through Week 8 (i.e., through October) have grown by double-digit percentages in each of five weekly NFL game time slots, year over year:

Early Sunday afternoon: 890,000, up 12%.
Late Sunday afternoon: 969,000, up 16%.
Sunday night: 825,000, up 33%.
Monday night: 597,000, up 12%.
Thursday night: 634,000, up 12%."

As the article outlines some of this increase is simply due to moving games around on channels (between Sportnets and CTV2, or TSN, or whatever) but some of it is raw year-over-year increase as a whole.

elly63 Nov 17, 2018 8:14 PM

Has the question ever been answered (with proof) if Ottawa is a measured TV market included in national ratings?

SignalHillHiker Nov 17, 2018 8:37 PM

Strange thing has happened here... the St. John's Edge are one of the more successful baskbetball teams in their league. Carl English said it was easy to recruit this year telling the American men, "Oh we'll get nearly 5K on a weeknight, more on the weekends, and they're very vocal..." - they were surprised.

On the flipside... the Newfoundland Growlers (ECHL) hockey team is on its 7th straight win and they're struggling to fill the seats.

JHikka Nov 17, 2018 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8382730)
Has the question ever been answered (with proof) if Ottawa is a measured TV market included in national ratings?

Via Numeris:
http://assets.numeris.ca/Documents/D...ed_Markets.pdf

AFAIK all of the communities included in the above pdf are included in their National numbers (except for Quebec, which gets its own separate release) for TV Top 30 weekly ratings.

To answer your question: Yes, most likely Ottawa is included in national ratings.

JHikka Nov 17, 2018 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 8382742)
Strange thing has happened here... the St. John's Edge are one of the more successful baskbetball teams in their league. Carl English said it was easy to recruit this year telling the American men, "Oh we'll get nearly 5K on a weeknight, more on the weekends, and they're very vocal..." - they were surprised.

On the flipside... the Newfoundland Growlers (ECHL) hockey team is on its 7th straight win and they're struggling to fill the seats.

A cursory glance at the NBLCanada annual report from last season shows that the Edge only drew near 5,000 for a regular season game on a handful of occasions and only drew over 5,000 once - in a playoff game. I haven't done any of the math but it looks like they drew equal crowds last year to what the Growlers have been drawing so far this year (the Growlers are averaging 3,880 so far this season).

isaidso Nov 17, 2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 8382454)

Quite a leap but isn't this a Canadian Sports thread? It doesn't belong here any more than news about Germany's Bundesliga or India's IPL

Berklon Nov 18, 2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8382842)
Quite a leap but isn't this a Canadian Sports thread? It doesn't belong here any more than news about Germany's Bundesliga or India's IPL

It's a sport in which a lot of Canadians watch, and has a big impact on TV ratings and marketing - so I think it belongs. No point in nitpicking and trying to make this a science.