SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

SOSS Nov 20, 2015 5:49 AM

I like 3. Smallest footprint and most bang for your buck.

go_leafs_go02 Nov 23, 2015 8:16 PM

2. Interchanges with small footprints and numerous left turn movements seem to never work.

I strongly dislike the 16 Avenue / Highway 99 diamond. Far too tight.

Love Parclos like what was done at 176 Street / Highway 1.

DKaz Nov 24, 2015 11:07 PM

Hwy 99/16 Ave seems like an interchange from Mexico. It's too compact.

I think Option 2 would work best given the heavy movement from Hwy 1 left onto McKenzie Ave.

Mike K. Dec 1, 2015 7:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7241082)
Actually I was kinda hoping that a directional flyover would have been part of the plan. But better than nothing... esp. with an est. $85 million cost.

I think a lot of us were expecting a flyover but instead we've been dealt the designs we see. My gauge of the options is that few people are overly ecstatic about the design, and considering this is BC's top priority interchange location at the moment you'd think they would have opted for a constant flow onto McKenzie but I guess that's not possible for $85 million.

SOSS Dec 2, 2015 6:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike K. (Post 7253592)
... and considering this is BC's top priority interchange location at the moment ...

How so? Where is the list?

Daguy Dec 14, 2015 1:11 AM

I drove through Revelstoke on Friday, and tree clearing on either end of the North Fork Bridge has begun. I suspect that the project will start next spring. It was an amazing drive from Kamloops to Golden, virtually no snow whatsoever til the Rogers Pass, even on the ground.

SOSS Jan 5, 2016 12:31 AM

Drove the Hope-Princeton over the holiday's. Nice to see this project taking off. Personally I use the Hwy 3 corridor more than the TCH1 past Kamloops corridor, however I think the funds would be better spent on improvements through the TCH1 Kamloops to Alberta border.

http://infotel.ca/news/medialibrary/...19943-8925.jpg

Denscity Jan 5, 2016 2:13 PM

The Hope Princeton is at 50s standards it needs all the help it can get. Particularly from the East gate east.

SOSS Jan 5, 2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7288331)
The Hope Princeton is at 50s standards it needs all the help it can get. Particularly from the East gate east.

I don't disagree with you. However with the finite resources we have in BC, I think we should prioritize the TCH1 corridor unless there is a substantial safety issue or structural safety issue (akin to bridge replacement).

splashflash Jan 26, 2016 4:41 AM

Gabriola Fixed Link Study
 
Report posted at: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dri...afixedlink.pdf

RWin Jan 28, 2016 3:38 AM

When I was a kid I found this BC Highway map from 1963 in my grandma's basement. I use to love looking at it to see how things had changed. I just found it again and thought I'd share some of it here. Unfortunately I couldn't scan the whole thing but here are a few interesting spots around the map (interesting to me anyway). In particular, in 1963 you could still take the Big Bend Highway.

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/key.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._201013829.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._201008499.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200953992.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200946584.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200936661.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200922102.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200930578.jpg

SOSS Jan 29, 2016 5:30 AM

Thanks for the pictures of the old map.

Metro-One Jan 29, 2016 9:38 AM

Yeah, neat to look at. As a kid I remember spending hours looking at road maps too (oh the days before Google Earth).

Canadian Mind Jan 30, 2016 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWin (Post 7315816)
When I was a kid I found this BC Highway map from 1963 in my grandma's basement. I use to love looking at it to see how things had changed. I just found it again and thought I'd share some of it here. Unfortunately I couldn't scan the whole thing but here are a few interesting spots around the map (interesting to me anyway). In particular, in 1963 you could still take the Big Bend Highway.

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/key.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._201013829.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._201008499.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200953992.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200946584.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200936661.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200922102.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200930578.jpg

It's crazy how some of those places managed to develop the way they did considering how far out of the way they are. Kelowna was so out of the way until the Coq and 97c came along.

craner Jan 30, 2016 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 7317545)
Yeah, neat to look at. As a kid I remember spending hours looking at road maps too (oh the days before Google Earth).

Ha - yep, I remember spending hours looking at road maps too. Still do on occasion.
:D

Procrastinational Feb 1, 2016 5:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Mind (Post 7318574)
It's crazy how some of those places managed to develop the way they did considering how far out of the way they are. Kelowna was so out of the way until the Coq and 97c came along.

If you look closely, that map shows Penticton and Kelowna as being roughly the same size. Amazing how things change.

Klazu Feb 9, 2016 7:14 PM

Driving from Kelowna to Vancouver this time of year can be a roller coaster of seasons. :)

Kelowna

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...6/kelowna1.jpg

West Kelowna

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...6/kelowna2.jpg

Approaching the 1700 meter summit along Highway 97 Connector.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...connector1.jpg

It's crazy how this highway has the limit of 120km/h throughout the winter!

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...connector2.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...connector3.jpg

Much less snow again when approaching Merritt.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...connector4.jpg

And winter's back again along Coquihalla Highway.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c..._talvella1.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c..._talvella2.jpg

Descending from the summit.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c..._talvella3.jpg

And it's spring nearby Chilliwack.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c..._mainland1.jpg

Klazu Feb 9, 2016 7:16 PM

On another note, I had not driven the new all four-lane Highway 97 from Kelowna to Vernon. It is very well done and has 100km/h limit throughout most of the route.

When are they planning to have the whole route from Vernon to Osoyoos four laned? Kelowna also needs a bypass.

Airboy Feb 9, 2016 7:56 PM

Looking at your photos I get an itch to drive out today, but will have to wait 2 months before I get to do the drive.

Klazu Feb 9, 2016 9:31 PM

Between Kelowna and Vancouver? It is not that exciting drive and one is just cruising with the cruise control set to 130km/h. Just watch out for those flying rocks...

I forgot to mention in my post, but I saw a wolf next to the road, but passed by so quickly that I barely realized it.

SOSS Feb 12, 2016 5:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klazu (Post 7329628)
When are they planning to have the whole route from Vernon to Osoyoos four laned? Kelowna also needs a bypass.

Currently there is a study for the Peachland through 2nd crossing. It's therorised to leave the current alignment south of Peachland where it drops from 4 lanes to 2. Head up into the hills above and around all Peachland development. It would reconnect near Trepanier Creek to 97C. That alignment has been pushed by a very vocal group of Peachland residents. Extending from there it could be pushed through the hills in behind the sawmill and basically above all the West Kelowna development. The second crossing would therotically connect this route to the Central Okanagan Multi-Model Corridor. That corridor is already on the city of Kelowna's long term plan to provide a new limited access road from Clement to UBC-O mostly following the rail route.

As for the south okanagan, no solid plans or study area was far as I know.

SOSS Mar 6, 2016 5:59 AM

Underpasses proposed for dangerous West Kelowna highway intersections
 
Mentioned on the Kelowna tread but also belongs here. Note the underpass location for Hudson connecting to a new traffic circle:

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/...cherieplan.jpg

http://webpapersadmin.bcnewsgroup.co...stlakeplan.jpg

Quote:

While continuing with its two-year study of the entire Highway 97 corridor through the Central Okanagan, the province is zeroing in on two Westside intersections that are ranked among the worst in the province for accidents.

The intersections at Highway 97 and Westlake and Boucherie Roads are currently ranked as the worst and second worst respectively west of the lake and the 20th and 24th worst respectively in the province, according Murray Tekano of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.

At an open house in West Kelowna Wednesday evening to unveil proposals for underpasses at both intersections, Tekano said the Highway 97 corridor study has already identified both intersections as priorities for improvement.

The province is proposing an underpass under the existing intersection at Boucherie Road and the highway, anchored by roundabouts at both ends of the new road on the north-west and south-east sides of the Highway 97. The existing traffic lights would be removed on the highway where the intersection is today and the highway would become a through road. Off-ramp roads would be built to take traffic off the highway on both sides. The north-west roundabout would be at the intersection with Horizon Drive and the south-east roundabout would be at the intersection with Boucherie Road and Sneena Road.

To the west, at Westlake Road, an underpass is proposed east of the existing intersection via a new connecting road to be build running from the Hudson Road and Boucherie Road intersection under the highway to a roundabout at Steven's Road on the north side of the Highway 97. The intersection at Westlake and the highway would remain but become a "right-in, right-out" option only for traffic turing onto, and off of, the highway. Traffic would not longer cross the highway at that point.

Tekano said both proposals—chosen after a number of other possible configurations were looked at and rejected for reasons such as cost, disturbance to the area, land use, foot print and connectivity—would likely cost around $40 million each, the same amount as the nearby Westside Road overpass built in 2013.

With approvals, land purchases and detailed design work yet to take place, Tekano said construction is likely still at least a few years away.

But he said with safety being the top priority, something has to be done at both intersections and that is why work is being looked at now.

He pointed to the Westside Road overpass as an example of how safety could be improved, saying it has helped reduce accidents there by 75 per cent since 2013.

In addition to gathering public input about the conceptual plans for both intersections at Wednesday's open house in West Kelowna, and at another on the WFN reserve onThursday—both proposals include land currently belonging to the WFN—the ministry is accepting feedback until March 20.

To give feedback and learn more about the proposals for both intersections, you can go to the projects website: www.gov.bc.ca/okanaganvalleycorridorprojects and fill out a feedback form or email the ministry at boucherie.westlake@gov.bc.ca.
source

Metro-One Mar 6, 2016 11:22 AM

Thanks for posting.

Took a look at both of them, honestly they look pretty good.

They really wont be anymore intrusive than what exists already and they will likely improve safety quite a bit.

Also I always enjoy seeing more roundabouts.

Also saw that in interchange is being considered for the western edge of Chase on the #1 with a continued 4 lanning project there.

I am happy that that will not be an intersection.

SOSS Mar 9, 2016 3:53 AM

Undoubtedly safety will be improved. My parents got caught in a semi-serious accident right in front of the Kal Tire at that corner. Lefts along most of that corridor have improved with advance lights being installed but those safety improvements are limited.

Stingray2004 Mar 24, 2016 5:00 AM

One interesting tidbit that caught my attention from yesterday's fed budget:

"To stimulate the economy over two years, the government also earmarked $85.9 million to twin part of the Trans-Canada Highway through Yoho National Park [in BC]".

Good news!

To preface, Hwy 1, within national parks, is completely under federal jurisdiction and 100% fed dollars. To wit, the feds began twinning Hwy 1 through Banff National Park westward in the early 1980's and finally completed same within the last few years right up to the BC border - where Yoho NP commences.

Now that twinning will commence further westward over the next 2 years. When the entire Yoho NP twinning of Hwy 1 is completed it will join up with BC MoTI's Kicking Horse Canyon project... which still requires ~$650 million for the complex phase 4 of that project. As with all phases, phase 4 thereto will have both provincial/fed funding.

Vantage Mar 24, 2016 6:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7381956)
Now that twinning will commence further westward over the next 2 years. When the entire Yoho NP twinning of Hwy 1 is completed it will join up with BC MoTI's Kicking Horse Canyon project... which still requires ~$650 million for the complex phase 4 of that project. As with all phases, phase 4 thereto will have both provincial/fed funding.

Just curious what phase 4 will look like. Is there any drawings?

Corndogger Mar 24, 2016 7:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7381956)
One interesting tidbit that caught my attention from yesterday's fed budget:

"To stimulate the economy over two years, the government also earmarked $85.9 million to twin part of the Trans-Canada Highway through Yoho National Park [in BC]".

Good news!

To preface, Hwy 1, within national parks, is completely under federal jurisdiction and 100% fed dollars. To wit, the feds began twinning Hwy 1 through Banff National Park westward in the early 1980's and finally completed same within the last few years right up to the BC border - where Yoho NP commences.

Now that twinning will commence further westward over the next 2 years. When the entire Yoho NP twinning of Hwy 1 is completed it will join up with BC MoTI's Kicking Horse Canyon project... which still requires ~$650 million for the complex phase 4 of that project. As with all phases, phase 4 thereto will have both provincial/fed funding.

Given how economically important that stretch of road is as well as how dangerous it can be, the entire project needs to be fast tracked. $43/year doesn't cut it. Allocate enough money to get it done as quickly possible. It will pay for itself in relatively short order. If need be toll the road to raise money to improve and maintain it.

Stingray2004 Mar 24, 2016 1:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vantage (Post 7382005)
Just curious what phase 4 will look like. Is there any drawings?

Video Link

sonysnob Mar 24, 2016 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klazu (Post 7329624)
Driving from Kelowna to Vancouver this time of year can be a roller coaster of seasons. :)

These photos are very beautiful.

craner Mar 28, 2016 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7381956)
One interesting tidbit that caught my attention from yesterday's fed budget:

"To stimulate the economy over two years, the government also earmarked $85.9 million to twin part of the Trans-Canada Highway through Yoho National Park [in BC]".

Good news!

To preface, Hwy 1, within national parks, is completely under federal jurisdiction and 100% fed dollars. To wit, the feds began twinning Hwy 1 through Banff National Park westward in the early 1980's and finally completed same within the last few years right up to the BC border - where Yoho NP commences.

Now that twinning will commence further westward over the next 2 years. When the entire Yoho NP twinning of Hwy 1 is completed it will join up with BC MoTI's Kicking Horse Canyon project... which still requires ~$650 million for the complex phase 4 of that project. As with all phases, phase 4 thereto will have both provincial/fed funding.

Nice catch!
Not a lot of $$ but at least they acknowledged the need for the project. Hopefully we see continuous funding for twinning the TCH through BC to complete it.
It still astounds me it wasn't completed 30 years ago.

milomilo Mar 28, 2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7382106)
[youtube]h_iw2ZwmDEI[youtube]

Nice! Actually looks like a first world country.

Metro-One Mar 29, 2016 1:37 AM

Yep, but now we just need the money....

craner Mar 29, 2016 7:16 PM

^Yeah - we've been waiting close to ten years now since that video was made - have we not ?

SOSS Apr 27, 2016 1:18 AM

Final concept chosen for McKenzie interchange
 
The new McKenzie interchange will be built as a partial cloverleaf reflecting the preferred option of 75% of those who participated in the public consultation, Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Todd Stone announced today. This design is also the safest, most efficient option and best meets the long-term needs of this region.

“I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to let us know their thoughts on the McKenzie interchange project, as this input is fundamental to ensuring the interchange meets the needs of those who will be using it,” said Stone. “We heard overwhelming support for the partial cloverleaf design, supported by the team’s ongoing technical analysis, and now our work continues in discussing further details with stakeholder groups and the public as we finalize the design.”

Technical analysis shows that the partial cloverleaf will operate more safely and efficiently than other option – the diamond interchange. The partial cloverleaf reduces the chances of collisions and, as such, is expected to provide $4 million in additional safety benefits over the other options in just the first 20 years. As well, with no stop lights for vehicles turning left onto McKenzie, travel will be more efficient for traffic now and for expected traffic volume in the future.

The design also improves access for cyclists, pedestrians and transit users, making travel better for transit users and safer for cyclists and pedestrians. It provides a separated route for a wider Galloping Goose Trail with a new path over the highway and McKenzie Avenue, avoiding the lights and vehicle traffic. The project will also include bus lanes, transit priority signals, and improved connections to bus stops.

"Saanich's interest in this project has always been to ensure that the preferred option addresses the long-term needs of our community," said Saanich Mayor Richard Atwell. "We look forward to continuing our work with the Province of B.C. on this important transportation initiative."

The ministry recognizes that the partial cloverleaf has a larger footprint on the surrounding area affecting Cuthbert Holmes Park. It remains committed to developing the project in an environmentally responsible way and in the best interest of residents. As the project moves forward, staff will continue to work closely with stakeholders, including the District of Saanich, community associations and park stewards in preparing a comprehensive plan to mitigate the impact on the environment, and ensure there is no net loss of park land.

Meetings will also continue with stakeholder groups to develop the remaining details around cycling and pedestrian connections and noise mitigation strategies. The ministry will showcase the final plan at a third open house scheduled for May 18, 2016, from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at St. Joseph the Worker Parish Hall, 753 Burnside Road West.

Construction is slated to begin this fall.

Link

DKaz May 2, 2016 10:45 PM

Oh come on, that section of TransCanada Highway is so fun! :D

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...5/ba0c7f5a.jpg
Photo by me.

Link to curve on Google Maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/8tFUfCb1ytS2

libtard May 2, 2016 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz (Post 7428416)
Oh come on, that section of TransCanada Highway is so fun! :D

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...5/ba0c7f5a.jpg
Photo by me.

Link to curve on Google Maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/8tFUfCb1ytS2

Where are the lane markings? Is that a 2 lane road?? :uhh:

DKaz May 2, 2016 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libtard (Post 7428479)
Where are the lane markings? Is that a 2 lane road?? :uhh:

Scraped off by the snowplows probably. They repaint it every spring.

Stingray2004 May 4, 2016 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 7387674)
^Yeah - we've been waiting close to ten years now since that video was made - have we not ?

Video is about a couple of years old. If that. Problem is that last ~5 km of the Kicking Horse Canyon project will cost about $500 million+ or a very, very pricey ~$100 million+/km.

BC MoTI has also indicated that they will likely break-down Phase 4 into separate projects. MoTI's expected time-line for final completion? Fall, 2023.

DKaz May 4, 2016 8:52 PM

$100 mil/km, makes Skytrain seem like a bargain...

lubicon May 4, 2016 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7430318)
Video is about a couple of years old. If that. Problem is that last ~5 km of the Kicking Horse Canyon project will cost about $500 million+ or a very, very pricey ~$100 million+/km.

BC MoTI has also indicated that they will likely break-down Phase 4 into separate projects. MoTI's expected time-line for final completion? Fall, 2023.

Pricey on first review. I would be interested to see a cost/benefit analysis. Factor in the savings (both time and fuel) especially to the trucking industry and the payback might look pretty good. And that doesn't even factor in the human cost (medical due to accidents) or things like maintenance on the current road.

SOSS May 7, 2016 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubicon (Post 7431270)
Pricey on first review. I would be interested to see a cost/benefit analysis. Factor in the savings (both time and fuel) especially to the trucking industry and the payback might look pretty good. And that doesn't even factor in the human cost (medical due to accidents) or things like maintenance on the current road.

I would suspect a cost-benefit analysis would indicate four-laning an equivalent amount (in terms of dollars) of Hwy 1 from Kamloops to Alberta border would have comparable payback.

MIPS May 16, 2016 1:50 PM

The Coquihalla opened 30 years ago today!

. https://i.somethingawful.com/forumsy.../emot-toot.gif
https://i.somethingawful.com/forumsy.../emot-toot.gif http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...icons/cake.png https://i.somethingawful.com/forumsy.../emot-toot.gif
https://i.somethingawful.com/forumsy.../emot-toot.gifhttps://i.somethingawful.com/forumsy.../emot-toot.gif

240glt May 17, 2016 3:35 PM

Still quite the engineering feat, 30 years later.

I vaguely remember the first time I drove it with my folks, Vernon to Vancouver. It was almost inconceivable that you could drive from the Okanagan to Vancouver in less than five hours. The connector that opened some time later made it possible to reach Kelowna in +/- 3 hours from the Port Mann. That helped Kelowna become a popular spot for a weekend house for wealthy Vancouverites.

While in University I worked for a time on weekends for a friend's long distance vehicle hauling company. I moved a lot of vehicles to & from ICBC yards all over BC, and hauled a lot out of the big yard in Richmond. I would take the canyon route because it was an easier haul than going up & over the Coquihalla. I do miss that drive sometimes, it is an amazing one in itself

240glt May 17, 2016 3:36 PM

Anything to watch out for on 16/5 North of Kamloops, then on the # 1 east back to Alberta ? Headed out in a few days to the cabin in the Cariboo and going to do the Yellowhead out and Trans Canada back

lubicon May 17, 2016 7:41 PM

When are you coming back? Last year the drive back to Calgary from Invermere took us almost 6 hours (normally 2.5 to 3) due to traffic volumes. Even on the #1 there were multiple times when we came to a complete stop or crawled along at 10 km/h for kilometres at a time. That was on the Monday afternoon.

240glt May 17, 2016 7:54 PM

Back on Tuesday so it shouldn't be so bad. I know the TCH can get pretty bunged up on the last day of the long weekend so try to avoid

I haven't driven 93 in a while, that road is ridiculous on long weekends, everything between RV's going 30k under the speed limit to idiots pushing 160 passing on blind corners... That stretch is one of the worst long weekend drives!

Airboy May 17, 2016 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 7444214)
Anything to watch out for on 16/5 North of Kamloops, then on the # 1 east back to Alberta ? Headed out in a few days to the cabin in the Cariboo and going to do the Yellowhead out and Trans Canada back

There is single lane traffic for Bridge construction 3 before Jasper and one after heading west in the Park. Some construction in Hinton on the west side of town.

I saw nothing of significance on the run from Kamloops to the Border. I did this run 2 weeks ago. and the Jasper Run again last Friday.

240glt May 17, 2016 9:19 PM

They're still working on those bridges ? Wow.

Thanks for the tips.

Mishpet1 May 18, 2016 4:04 AM

Just came back through the Hope Princeton on Saturday and they had the new widened / aligned section open 20 km west of Princeton. Lots of other work going on just further west (around pole cutter creek). Looks good. Wish they could start fixing the really tight curves

240glt May 18, 2016 5:43 PM

That'll improve access to the south Okanagan quite a lot

Miss driving that road.. Probably been 15 years


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.