SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

The Flying Dutchman Aug 2, 2016 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7518777)
Holy! Those projects are awesome! Damn San Diego and it's restrictive regulatory hurdles!

These may look nice, but regulations are there for a reason. Get up close to these buildings and I kid you not, some actually lean into each other.

SDfan Aug 2, 2016 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 7518867)
These may look nice, but regulations are there for a reason. Get up close to these buildings and I kid you not, some actually lean into each other.

I understand your point. To be clear, I'm more critical of design and density regulations that limit needed housing, rather than safety codes, which I think you're focusing on.

The Flying Dutchman Aug 2, 2016 5:04 AM

I knew what you meant, just playing Devil's advocate. As we all love to do :cheers:

IconRPCV Aug 2, 2016 6:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixonenine (Post 7517775)
Hey everyone, here is a video with about 30 new projects in TJ, some of which are already under construction.

https://youtu.be/056ymhuqnY8

SD and TJ are one metro area so the better TJ becomes the better SD becomes!

tyleraf Aug 4, 2016 2:51 AM

I saw this in one of the Boston forums. It'd be nice if SAN could have similar tiered height limits instead of the blanket 500'
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6928572)
With talk of height, here is a neat height restriction map based on Logan Airport:


http://oi61.tinypic.com/2jf1091.jpg
Credit: PDF; https://www.massport.com/media/11778...c201_small.pdf


superfishy Aug 4, 2016 3:45 AM

Saw this building under construction right across the street from Pinnaclehttps://i.imgur.com/vdfOqHE.jpg.

The Flying Dutchman Aug 4, 2016 5:42 AM

"Civic San Diego also approved the design and related permits for Lennar Multifamily Communities’ proposed 21-story tower and five-story mid-rise, mixed-use residential development at 460 16th St. in the East Village. Designed by Carrier Johnson Inc., the development would include 368 studio, one- and two bedroom apartments and about 19,000 square feet of commercial space. Construction would begin early next year."

http://www.sandiegometro.com/2015/10...rt-oct-5-2015/

http://www.sandiegometro.com/wp-cont...6th-Street.jpg

ScottSD Aug 5, 2016 1:36 AM

Construction Photos
 
Here are a few photos from a walk I took around downtown today.


https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8356/2...50e90b2a_c.jpg
Pacific Gate by Scott, on Flickr


https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8700/2...1fee8d8c_c.jpg
Pacific Gate by Scott, on Flickr


https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8663/2...1f657d53_c.jpg
Pacific Gate by Scott, on Flickr


https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8820/2...9532ebb6_c.jpg
Broadstone at Makers Quarter by Scott, on Flickr


https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8853/2...1a921de9_c.jpg
Broadstone at Makers Quarter by Scott, on Flickr


https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8154/2...579d0d70_c.jpg
Broadstone at Makers Quarter by Scott, on Flickr


https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8092/2...2aa0355b_c.jpg
IDEA1 by Scott, on Flickr

tyleraf Aug 5, 2016 3:08 AM

Thanks for the photos, ScottSD. Pacific Gate looks really nice so far. Also, It is nice to see things are fully underway in both the IDEA district and MQ.

The Flying Dutchman Aug 6, 2016 10:42 PM

Thanks for the photos.

Lipani Aug 8, 2016 12:30 AM

Another month, another proposal for the California Theatre. I've lost count of the proposals over the years.

Quote:

Decrepit Downtown Theatre Site Targeted for Renovation Project
The California Theatre building has become an eyesore and safety hazard.

By Gene Cubbison

For nearly three decades, the landmark California Theatre building in downtown San Diego has been left to deteriorate.

Surrounded by chain-link fencing and stripped of its marquee awning, the place has become an eyesore and safety hazard.

Now, plans to redevelop the historic site are gaining traction at City Hall.

Built in 1927, the theater closed in 1990 -- no longer profitable as a movie-house and venue for plays and concerts.

Its decline reflects what's happened along the entire C Street corridor, seen by many downtowners as "the Boulevard of Broken Dreams”.

And its revival is being touted as a turning point for the business community in downtown’s financial district.

“Once this area gets cleaner,” said James Langley, managing partner of the neighboring Resident Brewing Company. “You'll see more and more businesses opening up and leasing space on C Street that normally would never get leased."

It's not much of a neighborhood for starting and growing a business, what with the disruptive dynamic of trolley traffic and ghost-town atmosphere of empty storefronts -- not to mention hordes of homeless.

But with the property now under new ownership that's hoping to re-purpose the site with a $125 million residential tower, downtown's funky Financial District could fast-forward into a vibrant 21st Century setting.

The developers of the project, branded "Overture", are betting on a growing market of urban dwellers, not content with a commuter's life in the suburbs.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...389246112.html

SDCAL Aug 8, 2016 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipani (Post 7524445)
Another month, another proposal for the California Theatre. I've lost count of the proposals over the years.


http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...389246112.html

I listened to this and at the end they said restoring the original theater isn't viable because there are too many competing arts venues downtown. I thought the reason given previously was because the building physically has deteriorated beyond what can be restored. Seems like mixed messages being sent by the developers. Obviously, if it really can't be restored then it needs to be taken down completely, but it would be nice if efforts are made, if possible, to try and restore it as part of the redevelopment. It's really too bad the city let it get to this point by letting it rot for 3 decades.

Nerv Aug 8, 2016 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7524583)
I listened to this and at the end they said restoring the original theater isn't viable because there are too many competing arts venues downtown. I thought the reason given previously was because the building physically has deteriorated beyond what can be restored. Seems like mixed messages being sent by the developers. Obviously, if it really can't be restored then it needs to be taken down completely, but it would be nice if efforts are made, if possible, to try and restore it as part of the redevelopment. It's really too bad the city let it get to this point by letting it rot for 3 decades.


I don't know anything about this project but was reminded how for years they said the El Cortez was to far gone and should be torn down. Turns out it was really a money issue vs an impossible to do issue.

SDfan Aug 8, 2016 6:49 PM

Interesting piece on density in NP/Uptown. HC proposal looks great, but it's probably them just angling for more modest proposals to come (25 stories will probably lead to 12 down the line...).

Quote:

FOCUS: NORTH PARK PROMISES HIGHER DENSITY, SMARTER DESIGN
Infill takes many forms in North Park. Here's a sampling.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...-plan-density/

HurricaneHugo Aug 9, 2016 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7525033)
Interesting piece on density in NP/Uptown. HC proposal looks great, but it's probably them just angling for more modest proposals to come (25 stories will probably lead to 12 down the line...).

People complain about house prices/rent...but don't want to increase supply...

spoonman Aug 11, 2016 6:42 PM

Story from Hughes Marino on Two America Plaza. I remember a proposal for a ~35 story condo tower on this site a few years ago.

Two America Plaza to Be Sold

The site to the north of One America Plaza, originally planned to be a 14-story hotel, is coming to market. Odds favorite will be the Irvine Company to purchase it given the complexities associated with the two-block parking garage and mechanical systems bridging both parcels. With the hot market and loose lending for development, the property is likely to be developed as a residential rental and hotel. Fingers crossed for more office though!

http://hughesmarino.com/san-diego/bl...ds-get-greedy/

spoonman Aug 11, 2016 6:49 PM

Another Hughes Marino article stating that the manchester gateway complex will be built all-at-once instead of over 10 years...that would be amazing!

http://hughesmarino.com/san-diego/bl...n-in-downtown/

SDfan Aug 11, 2016 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7528068)
Story from Hughes Marino on Two America Plaza. I remember a proposal for a ~35 story condo tower on this site a few years ago.

You are correct, and previous to that in the early 90's was the 14 story hotel proposal.

joemamma Aug 11, 2016 9:00 PM

Anyone have an update/any information on

13th, Park, and C.
Willmark Communities

Work seemed to have just stopped and I can't find anything new.

Bertrice Aug 14, 2016 1:31 AM

couple of things I noticed today

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8845/2...bfc6c702_b.jpg
courthouse


https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8719/2...b76eecd0_c.jpg
ballpark village


https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8063/2...f000b3d0_c.jpg


https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8590/2...e311328c_c.jpg

ash and columbia


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.